• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Were we not watching the same game the Mavs got their fair share of questionable calls without a doubt.

Anyone who blames this loss on officiating is 100% delusional.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never said the Mavs got calls, I'm just saying you shouldn't just look at FT attempts and assume that justifies the end of means.

Why the Mavs lost rested on their role players. I understand being "nervous" in the first quarter, but guys like Peja, Barea, and even Dirk sucked throughout most of the game. Dirk decided to take too long to take over the game. It won't do to take over with 3 minutes left. He did NOTHING in the third as well. This guy has to continue to duel LBJ and Wade. What happen to talk about "2006 still haunts me" and "I want this so bad"? He wasn't playing like it.

TRG, who do you think would be your Finals MVP after Game 1?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's hard to pinpoint why you should pick one over the other in this game. Their numbers are identical.

IMO James will get it if he has the same numbers as Wade because he's been the more consistent throughout the playoffs by far.

James had the slightly better game but Wade had a bigger impact down the stretch so meh... I can't decide.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't know what I'm more pleasantly surprised about: the fact that the Heat's bench outscored the "deeper" Mavs bench or the fact that Dirk was held to 7-18 shooting.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think the Mavs bench just sucked tonight. They were nervous. If you watch the game again, Peja's looks were all open. Barea missed a lot of easy ones (a floater and two finger rolls), and don't get me started on Haywood getting blocked by the rim LOL.

Dirk...it wasn't the defense to be honest. He shoots over these guys all day. I just think he was nervous as well.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mavs will respond big in Game 2 if they're down 0-2 going into Dallas they're in some deep **** and they know this... No way in hell they win all 3 games at home. Then the Heat close out the series in Miami. :cool:

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
ok both teams had some questionable calls, what I was frustrated with were some extremely obvious calls being missed, such as lebron standing up after falling over and not getting the call(then went on to make a 3 point play)

but at the end of the day, dallas played poorly tonight, I expect them to win game 2 though. LBJ/chalmers aren't going to be making those random threes again

just wondering TRG, why are you such a big heat fan? I don't see much to like on that team aside from wade(not including the phantom wade in 06)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LBJ/chalmers aren't going to be making those random threes again
You're right about Chalmers but you obviously haven't been watching LBJ throughout the playoffs. That 3 of his has been absolute $$$, especially in crunch time ever since the series against the 76'ers.

I'll spot you and say Bosh won't shoot 28% again, and the Heat will have the FT advantage next game (which they normally do). ;)

EDIT: I was originally a Laker fan when I was little and followed Shaq to the Heat. I then fell in love with D Wade during the 2006 Finals when I saw him dominate the Mavs. I was always a casual fan of the Heat watching a game here and there but after all of that crazy **** that went down last summer I've loved this team ever since. If people would look past the Decision a lot of people would realize that this really is a team full of quality guys.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, there were some funny things in there, but I never knew LBJ talked about "Not going ring chasing" which made me smh.

Anyone hear what Dwight said today?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/27159362/29695221

Dirk has a torn tendon in his non-shooting finger. Well that might explain some lack of aggression.

Biggest, LBJ/Heat Rider I know...commenting on why Wade has been so tired of late.

"antistratfordian
I think it's pretty simple: Wade hasn't been deep in the postseason in about half a decade. His legs aren't used to it.

He said as much himself after the Bulls series:

"I got to get these legs back," Wade said to James as he was dressing an hour or so after their heroics.

"Your legs went on vacation with Ray Allen," James responded with a smile."

LOL. What BS.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Not trying to make exscuses but man the refs need to make right calls...Lebron standing up with the ball, that dunk he drove in for (I counted 3 steps)

Mavs kept leaving them open for 3's like (yao face, they wont make it!) >_>

Im so upset

._.

Mavs have 7 foot centers missing wide open dunks smh

They need to replace that 4 foot point guard they have also

/rant

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
JJ and Jet both need to make a couple of those drives they had. If they make even half of them, the game's in their favor.

As for the refs, with the exception of that Lebron standing up BS, they were very fair. Well, except for right after he stood up and got the foul on Dirk who didn't even touch him. lol

What was really bugging me was all the loose ball fouls called against the Mavs and not on the Heat. But that's just me being picky.

The Mavs played AWFUL, and still were close late. That's something to give them hope at least. If they lose Game 2 though, there's a 99% chance this series is over. :(

"Them ni***s never speak to a n***a," he says. "They don't chuck me the deuce or nothing. N***a spent all that money on them f***ing tickets ... Come holla at me. We sit right by them little b**ch-*** n***s."

LMAO. Also, number 11 on that list was the best reason. Who hates Dirk?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Everyone seems to forget that the Heat also have plenty of room for improvement on offense... Defensively they were great but offensively LBJ and Wade had very average games since they barely got to the FT line. Bosh was terrible.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Bosh was the only one that showed up in the 1st half really. XD

And LBJ had an outstanding game when you consider the defense of the Mavs. Wade is the one that suffered the most, but that's because of The Matrix. :O

I'm not saying they can't improve offensively, but the Mavs played well below their standards, and the Heat made a lot of shots that bailed them out. Besides, get used to people talking about the Mavs, the Heat is the team that won, who cares about them? :p

Really though, 17 offensive boards for Miami is what killed the Mavs. Every game is going to be different in some way, just don't expect Miami to get better any more than the Mavs will. lol

http://xkcd.com/904/

SUSPECT. I'm sorry, I didn't see your post until this morning. :I
Ojos Locos is right on 410, right? I've seen it, just forgot where it was.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dirk needs to get on the boards like I said. I was sort of shocked to see he only averaged 5 per game vs the Thunder. Fact of the matter is, he might not be SOFT mentally, but physically, he's gonna have to get aggressive and get some boards. Chandler, and to a certain extent Marion can't do it on their own.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It's a bummer that Shaq retired; but it was also his time to do so in all likelihood. It appears his right calf injury is very serious and possibly something he wouldn't be able to overcome in the long run.

Regardless, he was one of the best players in the NBA. I'll always remember his dominance throughout soo many seasons, such as with the Lakers; but also with other teams like Orlando and Miami.

Cheers to Shaq for an awsome 19 seasons in the NBA. He will be missed.

Edit: He also had the best commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXweq5wKOd8&feature=related

Sadly, I never tried that sandwhich in 2002 and really regret it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
"Doc (McKeon) kept telling me, 'No, no,' but I wanted to play so badly," O'Neal said. "My feeling was, 'If it ruptures, it ruptures.' The Celtics were so good to me I wanted to do everything I could to get back on the court for them."

He wouldn't be in that situation if he tried to lose weight and stay in shape. After Phoenix, it went down the toilet.

Evolution of Shaq from Phoenix to Boston.

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Shaq-Kobe1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FTdfjzf670o/Sue1iiAPpWI/AAAAAAAACgs/x9QhzusCqE0/s400/shaq_bron.jpg

http://www.sportsbettingworld.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/shaq-celtics-269x198.jpg

If no one can tell, he was fairly toned and in good shape with the Suns. He added on some weight with Cleveland, but was still fairly strong. In Boston...dude is just all fat.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I don't think he should of been retired before this year... you can't teach height and size, he was still dominant on the court. And age affects big men differently. That said, this year was a disaster for him when he injured his Achilles. It's finally time for him to retire. Easily one of the top 20, or even 15 of all time.

As for what he'll do next, I remember a while back he went to broadcaster school. Shaq on TV is all I want. :D

In other news, Ricky Rubio agrees to join the Wolves next year. I'm not expecting much from him, but they've got the 2nd pick this year? I think? At any rate, they've got 2 fairly good prospects showing up. Could result in a close to .400 season?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wonder how Dirk's shooting is gonna be. The injury is on his off shooting hand, but it's still the finger. Even the slightest wince or hit on the finger can make his shots go a bit awry.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm reading the 5 on 5 about Shaq...I just lost all respect for Sheridan. The question being, what teams should hang Shaq's jersey up?

"Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: Only the Lakers and Heat. He delivered championships to Los Angeles at a time when Kobe Bryant was incapable of carrying that team on his back (as he would discover when O'Neal left), and he gave Miami its first and (so far) only title when Dwyane Wade also wasn't ready to carry the Heat."

The inaccuracy in both statements made me lolz.

Top Bottom