• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
yeah I'm a little undecided on which series I prefer. Regardless, the finals should be interesting as what we have right now is offense vs offensive and defense vs defense. The finals will be like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. I would like to see mavs/bulls but the heat look like they have an edge. Mavs/ heat rematch would also be epic. Dirk deserves that ring

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah it should be a great finals... i'm 100% convinced the mavs are taking the WCF, and i'm still undecided as to who i feel will win the ECF, though i want the bulls to take it, obviously.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
TBO once again your predictions are crazy spot on...

The Bulls are looking a lot like Cleveland they rely too much on Rose going off every night... But once Rose is contained who is supposed to take over? Other than Boozer having an abnormally good night the rest of the Bulls have been completely non existent. Chicago needs a LEGIT #2/#3 option because Boozer is just proving that he's unreliable in the playoffs. I feel bad for Rose.

Yeah defense wins championships but you at least need some DECENT offense to win a title... The Bulls look lost on offense right now especially late in games.

I'm still sticking to my original prediction of Heat in 6. Heat win Game 4, Bulls rally back to win Game 5, and Heat come back and end the series in Game 6 while the Heat remain undefeated on their home court.
The similarities are too much. You have a great wing player in Rose (LeBron). An energetic center in Noah (Varejao). A defensive shooting guard who can knock down the 3 in Bogans (Parker). Bench player who can shoot the 3 in Korver (Gibson). A PF who can score in Boozer (Jamison) but doesn't show up all the time. Plus, both teams were also number one in defense.

Doesn't matter in the playoffs though...playoffs are a whole new ball game.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I think the bulls are a little bit more resilant then the cavs though
even though they were beat the bulls clearly tried to make a dedicated game changing push in the last few minutes (noticed this has been true throughout the season)
watching cleveland in the finals in years past i can tell you that if the game was down to the 7 minute mark by then they were trying to save face instead of commiting fully to the last second to win.
the bulls stage crew is a little bit more efficient then the old cavs
with that said boozer needs to show up if they wanna have a bigger chance of winning

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I guess the better series depends on what you prefer. Miami is a really fun team to watch when they're clicking on offense, but the Bulls' stagnant offense makes the games painful to watch at times.

Miami should win this in 5 at this rate, but if the Bulls can break 90 points they've got a shot at winning a game or two.

Meanwhile, Dallas is a show pony on offense. Honestly, Dirk drops 30 a night if he'd stop ****ING SWINGING THE BALL INTO COLLISON'S CHEST. I'm screaming at the TV watching him do it in the 4th quarter, like he hadn't gotten it poked loose the last 20 times.

OKC gets all of it's momentum from steals and blocks, which isn't a bad thing... but it's not a great thing. I'm tired of watching the Mavs run pick and pop with their star, and OKC makes Westbrook dribble-penetrate on his own to create offense.

Both series right now are marred right now by the Bulls and OKC running no real offense, but the defense of Chicago makes me enjoy the ECF a little bit more.

I love watching the Mavs play right now though. And I feel dirty saying that.

And Bored: The reason the Bulls and Cleveland are so similar in regular season success and playoff failure is another way to compare them. In the regular season, a team's got maybe 1 or 2 days to plan for the next game. You prepare to play them the way you would any normal NBA team, and go out and get thrashed by their star.

In the playoffs, you've got weeks to study and play the same team. Within 3-4 days, a good coach or team can easily figure out how to stop a superstar, and the lack of support on the Cavs and Bulls is horribly obvious then. Look at what happened to the Magic. Dwight is that team's only consistent player, and they basically left him alone because one man won't score 90 points.

I hate to say it, but Miami has been the best team in the league for weeks leading into the playoffs, and now they're playing like the juggernaut they were supposed to be. Without any "big" teams in their way, they'll steamroll the competition. Dallas has the best shot to stop them because they start two 7 footers, and Kidd/Marion/Stevenson are adequate defenders.

Miami/Dallas should be a ****ing crazyyyy series. :D

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If the Heat do end up winning it all this year I'm not looking forward to the amount of "Heat are an 0V3RP0WERD TEAM!!@!@!" comments from all of the non-Heat fans... And most of those people are going to be the same ones that called the Heat garbage at the beginning of the season. *sigh*

But with that being said I've been very pleased that the Heat have won these last two games without a need for a true center. Z, Dampier, and Magloire have either played very little minutes or haven't played at all in this series so far. Just imagine how much better the Heat would be this series with a solid, rebounding, defensive center with a 100% Haslem back. Makes me moist just thinking about it. ^.^ So much potential.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
And Bored: The reason the Bulls and Cleveland are so similar in regular season success and playoff failure is another way to compare them. In the regular season, a team's got maybe 1 or 2 days to plan for the next game. You prepare to play them the way you would any normal NBA team, and go out and get thrashed by their star.

In the playoffs, you've got weeks to study and play the same team. Within 3-4 days, a good coach or team can easily figure out how to stop a superstar, and the lack of support on the Cavs and Bulls is horribly obvious then. Look at what happened to the Magic. Dwight is that team's only consistent player, and they basically left him alone because one man won't score 90 points.
That's another reason I usually state in comparison to a reg season win vs playoffs. A good coach will show his colors. I give credit to Tom Thib for doing what he can, but his offensive philosophies aren't that great. Along with getting another wing player in the off-season, maybe they should consider grabbing an offensive assistant coach as well.

Spo has done a great job taking the blue print from the Pacers and Hawks series, and tinkering around, and making it into his own blueprint on how to beat the Bulls.

I like how people think the East is all about defense, while the West is all about offense. Dallas' D has been really good for the most part, but it's that the games are being played at a higher tempo = more points. Miami and Bulls are rarely running and taking shots at the end of the shot clock = low scoring game.

If it's gonna be Dallas vs Miami...Dallas is gonna really wish they had Butler to guard LeBron. I think Marion can do a decent job, but Peja is a rofl rofl thing to watch.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sadly that is true. You just gotta know when to get out of the way.

Btw, some NBA news. Apparently, Ginobili told some Argentina news source he was playing with a broken arm compared to the originally claimed sprained elbow.

What's everyone's take on Noah being fined 50k for the gay slur? I'm still blaming the camera men for putting his face on live TV like that. Same time, GLAD is just being a bunch of douchebags in thinking Noah means it literally.

HOLY CRAP! LBJ IS GONNA BE IN SPACE JAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmDGkayoYo

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I've come to the conclusion that Dirk is one of the most fun to hype players in the NBA. I think I used like 70 variations of DIIIIRK tonight.

OKC with that fantastic offense I referenced earlier.

Oh, and is it just me, or did getting embarrassed by the Blazers make Dallas a better team? :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Usually you see Dallas mentally break and crawl back. This team is resilient, and I hope they are resilient enough to overcome whoever comes out of the East.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
It's a combination of things I think. Dirk is older, Kidd is so tough, Tyson is great, Haywood is huge, Marion is defending...

Mavs are a completely different team now. For the first time in forever, I legitimately respect their game.

Kidd and Dirk are two of my favorite ballers to begin with, but the whole team is playing differently.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kind of interesting, because a long time ago, you could compare their "model" to the Spurs.

A fast PG in Devin Harris = Tony Parker
A shut down wing defender in Griffin = Bowen
A scoring guard in Terry = Ginobili
A superstar PF in Dirk = Duncan
A big who grabs boards and defends in Diop/Dampier = Oberto/Elson

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
And they did make it to the finals with that setup, this is true.

Think of how many times the Mavs made great runs that were derailed by the Spurs and Lakers and every monster team in the West. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, they never met the Lakers in the West until this year. And I still think had they not met Golden State that year, they would have gone all that way. That was one series where Dirk struggled, and the team as a whole had a lot of bad match ups. Kinda like Spurs and Memphis.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Kind of interesting, because a long time ago, you could compare their "model" to the Spurs.

A fast PG in Devin Harris = Tony Parker
A shut down wing defender in Griffin = Bowen
A scoring guard in Terry = Ginobili
A superstar PF in Dirk = Duncan
A big who grabs boards and defends in Diop/Dampier = Oberto/Elson
A team in 1= Dirrrrkkkk

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hopefully the Heat can also be up 3-1 after tonight. For whatever reason the Heat are finally good at closing games so as long as the game is close I'm pretty sure something good will happen to put the Heat back on top. If the Bulls want to win they will need to get an EARLY lead by a pretty substantial margin and contain that lead for 48 minutes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So apparently, the TNT crew won't be doing their post game and maybe their halftime show outside in Miami, cause some ******** fan threw something at him during the show. Big props to Barkley for not retaliating and taking it like a man.

LOL

"I always laugh at that statement, 'You didn't get a ring.' 'I'm like, dude, you work at McDonald's. My life's a lot better than yours. You relax." - Barkley to Fans.

Jane

Smash Hero
sir charles barkley is a ****ing god. hahahahaha i don't think there will ever be a basketball personality i love more than him.

If the Bulls want to win they will need to get an EARLY lead by a pretty substantial margin and contain that lead for 48 minutes.
pshhh, as if the bulls cant steal it in the 4th! we'll see though. good luck, sir.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Bulls are more than capable of taking over late in games... It just all depends on Rose.

If the Bulls want a good chance at winning this series Rose is going to have to have a monster game.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Good start went sour for the Bulls. I know Rose is trying to be aggressive, but guy needs to drive to the hole and crash his body into people. Can't settle for 3's.

Okay, that's not what I meant.

I swear to god, people hype these chase down blocks way too much. There was nothing great about LeBron's block on Rose. First of all, Rose was more worried about Wade and was on the way DOWN. Second, LeBron has 6 inches on Rose and was on the way UP. He BETTER make that block.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
What is wrong with Wade he looks extremely out of sync right now. Credit to the Bulls defense I guess.

But LeBron looks like he's in kill mode... Could end badly for Chicago in the 4th quarter if he stays hot.

Rose with the crowd silencer. -.-

WTH WHERE HAS THAT SHOT BEEN ALL SEASON MILLER???

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Offensive foul!

Lets see how they execute this final possession.

EDIT: ...and just like the last possession, it was absolutely terrible. Oh well more OT :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, looks like it's gonna be Dallas and Heat.

This crowd really needs to stop chanting "Barkley Sucks". That's probably the dumbest thing you can say.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm so happy right now all I wanted was for the Heat to at LEAST make it to the Finals this year and it looks like they're gonna do it! :)

So proud of this team!

Top Bottom