• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I just realized to my surprise that the Celtics could actually pass the Lakers and still end up as the 2nd best team. They're only one game back and have the tie-breaker with a better conference record.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Man I'm really envious of the Lakers they play such good team basketball.

Lakers, Spurs, and Boston are the epitome of balanced teams... I look forward to the Heat having that kind of chemistry some day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just realized to my surprise that the Celtics could actually pass the Lakers and still end up as the 2nd best team. They're only one game back and have the tie-breaker with a better conference record.
Is it better conference record or better opposing conference record?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I swear to god, the Lakers piss me off so much somtimes. Start off the game getting a great lead because they give the ball to Bynum and Gasol. Give up the lead, because they become perimeter oriented. I don't know why they don't understand no one can guard Bynum or Gasol down low. Give them the damn ball.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Golden State up 19 in the fourth quarter. I'm feeling pretty good about it, so I'm going to bed.

EDIT: And then of course I check one last time and it's suddenly a 13 point lead. Oh well, I just hope they win it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
GS will win it, no doubt. Lakers can't make a 3 pointer to save their lives tonight. Anyways, assuming LA loses, how will this look standings wise between Boston, LA, and Heat? I'll be rooting for Chicago tomorrow.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
GS will win it, no doubt. Lakers can't make a 3 pointer to save their lives tonight. Anyways, assuming LA loses, how will this look standings wise between Boston, LA, and Heat? I'll be rooting for Chicago tomorrow.
Assuming Boston wins against Chicago tomorrow, Boston and LA will be tied after tonight's loss against Golden State.

If Miami wins against the Bobcats they'll be one game behind LA.

EDIT: beat me to it

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, LA's got a rough stretch down the end. The only .500+ team we play still is the Lakers. XD

However, we should lock up homecourt throughout before that game, so we'll be resting as the Lakers pound us by 20 since they need the better overall record against eastern teams.

By the way, the Bucks have potential, but they can't compete for a championship in the near future. Bogut, on the other hand, has the largest increase in Blocks/Game that I've ever seen this season.

He's averaging like, 1.5 more a game than his whole career. :O

Also, Bored, that video is killing me. XD
The music is too much.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Would be nice if Spurs rested up to give LA an easier time, but who knows.

Lakers vs Portland is AT Portland...consider that a loss. Lakers struggle heavily there. Thunder is manageable, but they are hot. Last time LA played the Kings, LA got trounced by 20+.

Anyone remember Frank Caliendo's Bill Walton impression? Priceless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jArUB6mB6hs

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Celtics schedule is back and forth, with two tough games against the Bulls and Heat, two easy games against my Wizards, and one medium game against the Knicks. We'll see how they do. But if they win out, they will finish higher than the Lakers and Heat.

Unfortunately both the Bulls and Heat games are away games.

Smash Master
Well at the end of the day, they did win those close games as opposed to a team like Miami who didn't. Crunch time does matter.
Find me one player who, in his career, has a higher fg% in "crunch time" to a statistically significant degree and I'll believe you. From my perspective, all this talk of clutch and w/e is just random variance. People are talking about how lebron isn't clutch now, but just a few years ago he was one of the most clutch players in the league after game 2 against the magic and game 5 against the pistons. same thing with wade and the mavs series.

And Kobe is like 39/115 in game winners for his career (I'll see if I can find that.) It's just he jacks so many up that people only remember the ones that go in.
Edit: here we go: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/01/28/wait-you-mean-kobe-isnt-mr-clutch/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What the heck...I wasn't even attacking LeBron or anyone on this lol. I was just saying as a team, Miami's execution during crunch time isn't as good compared to say the likes of Chicago. It does come down to hitting shots and what not, but I don't even know how you got the idea I was attacking any player, good or bad in crunch time.

To be honest, I thought LeBron was very clutch in the playoff series vs Orlando a few years ago. However, the year after he seemed to sputter, and this year he's gotten a bit worse. I don't know what's up, but sometimes it does seem like he's a step slower than usual when trying to get to the rim.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Love the fact NY is going to the playoffs after this long drought. Feels good being a Knicks fan for the most part lol. I wanna see us play MIA forst round for some reason, all those superstars would make for an entertaining series

theeboredone

Smash Legend
NY has a better chance playing Miami as opposed to a team like Boston. Like I said, when Carmelo is serious, he can actually defend a guy like LBJ. Stoudamire well...LOL

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Did anyone just see that sick cross over move Rose pulled on Rondo followed by a sexy lay up inbetween Kristic and Big Baby? Disgusting.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, I watched that whole game. Was a frustrating day. Then again, losing yesterday to the Warriors was as well. Lakers being the Lakers.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Did anyone just see that sick cross over move Rose pulled on Rondo followed by a sexy lay up inbetween Kristic and Big Baby? Disgusting.
I couldn't believe he pulled that off he manged to squeeze between like 3 defenders...

That floater he got off the glass was also very sexy.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm very impressed maybe they're really serious about winning the ECF this year.

Boston doesn't look like the same Boston that I saw earlier in the season though.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
True, true. Honestly I don't think it'll matter too much in the grand scheme of things who gets the 2 seed, but it should be an intense game nonetheless.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
True, true. Honestly I don't think it'll matter too much in the grand scheme of things who gets the 2 seed, but it should be an intense game nonetheless.
I disagree I don't care what anyone else says I'd still rather see the Heat go up against the 76'ers in the first round as opposed to going up against a hot Knicks team with a more than capable Stoudamire, superstar Melo, and Mr. Clutch Billups. First round matchups, for the most part, are supposed to be fairly easy for top 3 seeds... Knicks aren't gonna be an easy series for any team just because they have those 3 players no matter how badly they've done in the regular season. I'd much rather let Boston deal with em.

Plus I'm not confident with Miami winning in Boston so they need that HCA if the 2nd round comes down to a 7 game series.

I'm already saying this now TRG, I don't want know Wade has a boo boo johns.
It's a deep thigh bruise and it's Wade's body we don't know how painful it is.

The Heat can't beat Boston without Wade though so if he doesn't recover in time for Sunday the Heat won't get the 2nd seed I can guarantee that.

EDIT: 3,000th post... I should celebrate.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
To be honest, I rarely buy what the media and sports doctors report as injuries, because they tend to over exaggerate them. A deep thigh bruise would take a minimum of 2-3 weeks to heal, and even with all the power of sports medicine, there is no way Wade would be truly effective vs the Celtics. I'm pretty sure it's just a bruise, and nothing more.

But you are right, everybody works different. When T-Mac had his back spasms, he had to be taken away on a stretcher and was out for a while. Kobe was out for the rest of the game, but played the next (though very gimpy).

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I disagree I don't care what anyone else says I'd still rather see the Heat go up against the 76'ers in the first round as opposed to going up against a hot Knicks team with a more than capable Stoudamire, superstar Melo, and Mr. Clutch Billups. First round matchups, for the most part, are supposed to be fairly easy for top 3 seeds... Knicks aren't gonna be an easy series for any team just because they have those 3 players no matter how badly they've done in the regular season. I'd much rather let Boston deal with em.

Plus I'm not confident with Miami winning in Boston so they need that HCA if the 2nd round comes down to a 7 game series.
Yeah, I guess I was thinking from a Celtics point of view. It doesn't matter all that much for the Celtics, but it might for the Heat. Celtics will have no trouble dispatching either the 76ers or the Knicks and are just as capable of beating Miami away as they are at home.

Top Bottom