• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
This has to be one of the lowest scoring championship games since like...the 50's :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's actually why I'm not too big on College Football either. It's just sad to see a Team A light up Team B for a 30-40 point blowout. Also sucks when a corner can't do **** against a good receiver LOL.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I haven't watched the NBA closely in years, I just have no emotional investment in any of the teams...also doesn't help that KU hasn't had a superstar alum in like 15 years

Actually Kirk Hinrich wasn't bad for a while

I think it's the sheer amount of games in the regular season that turns me off—that and the usual lethargic atmosphere of the arenas makes it hard for me to become interested until the playoffs. As opposed to the professional sport that I do watch closely, tennis. But then again, I played tennis in high school, so maybe it's just a matter of relating to it more

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah I get yeah. I've watched roughly 65 Laker games this year, but even then sometimes it does feel like a drag, because the players themselves don't take it seriously at times due to the long season.

If anything, I don't mind the lockout happening if it shortens the season to about 60-40 games.

And being a Laker fan for so long, I already have that "emotional" investment. Just gotta stick with a team.

Jane

Smash Hero
I think it's the sheer amount of games in the regular season that turns me off—that and the usual lethargic atmosphere of the arenas makes it hard for me to become interested until the playoffs. As opposed to the professional sport that I do watch closely, tennis. But then again, I played tennis in high school, so maybe it's just a matter of relating to it more
agreed. i still enjoy me some occasional NBA though. and yeah playoffs are always fun.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
its hard to watch college ball for me

theres so many slips and mistakes that dont happen in the nba. games are much more fluid.

collge foot ball is a little bit better (plus tcu won the rose bowl so that helps lmao) but more or less theres little tiny things that we take for granted when watching sports on the pro level that when you see them in college its annoying.

the only game that you dont see much of a difference in between pro and college play is baseball

Jane

Smash Hero
theres only one sensible answer.

uconn must be utilizing some sort of voodoo magic to make all the teams they played against play like ****.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
its hard to watch college ball for me

theres so many slips and mistakes that dont happen in the nba. games are much more fluid.

I see your point of view with this—sort of like watching top level vs. mid-level Smash matches—but I also think lots of things in college basketball make up for the overall amateur talent.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Ugh I'm not even watching the game anymore. It's clear that UConn already wins

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That was hard to watch Butler barely even put up a fight at all towards the end... The game shouldn't have even been that close. What a letdown for a championship game.

This game reminds me of my highschool's football team this year. We went undefeated for the whole year all the way to the state championship, and we ended up losing 0-24 a complete blowout.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LMAO. Sorry, TRG...that's just fail on your HS.

Yeah, this game just proved why I'm not big on College ball. The atmosphere is definitely better than the NBA, but you can even argue that some stadiums get ridiculously loud in playoff games. Anyone remember the Thunder vs Lakers? Goldenstate vs Mavs? Thunder and Warriors fans were off the charts.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Well it goes both ways. Remember Syracuse v. KU in 2003, Illinois v. UNC in 2005, or KU v. Memphis in 2008—both great games with tons of NBA level talent, drama, emotion. A lot of it has to do with the one-and-done aspect of the NCAA tournament, there's always more at stake, and there's no paycheck at the end of the day to comfort the losers.

But then there are the games like tonight where you're just like, "I wish Kobe was here" LOL

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LMAO. Sorry, TRG...that's just fail on your HS.
Ehhh I'm used to it. The week that followed that game was probably the most depressing week of SMHS history. :\

Yeah, this game just proved why I'm not big on College ball. The atmosphere is definitely better than the NBA, but you can even argue that some stadiums get ridiculously loud in playoff games. Anyone remember the Thunder vs Lakers? Goldenstate vs Mavs? Thunder and Warriors fans were off the charts.
I'd argue that some NBA games have just as much energy at times.

Here's a good example... I know you won't like it bored lol but the crowd went crazy after LBJ dunked it. That game had such a playoff atmosphere- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFQdOTqkM4&feature=player_embedded

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, that was another good moment crowd wise, but it doesn't live up to Golden State or OKC. Here is another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ikaIDz-Ck

I remember my senior year at HS. Went to Semi-Finals, and lost to the team that won it all in double OT. The finals was a joke as we could have whooped them just as bad. Oh well. All I can say I got to chill with Rex Burkhead...RB for Nebraka xD.

The one and done ruling is really bad. I mean...kids aren't getting much of an education, so why bother having them in college if they can just skip to the NBA? On top of that, a lot of one and done players come out and are not developed fully potential and talent wise. I think it should be 3 and done if you ask me. Just like the NFL. That way, a college team can stay relevant, players can develop their skills, and rookies don't get overpaid for being serviceable on the floor.

Also, been hearing a lot of radio talk about if college athletes should get paid, because for those who are coming from unfortunate and low income areas, it's tough to get a job while being an athlete.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Here's a good example... I know you won't like it bored lol but the crowd went crazy after LBJ dunked it. That game had such a playoff atmosphere- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFQdOTqkM4&feature=player_embedded
I am I not suprised that this was on TNT. Had this game been on ABC there is no way you would have heard the crowd at all. Remember when games used to be on NBC? Man those were the days. Better announcers, crowd noice wasn't toned down, ohh and of course John Tesh's Roundball Rock!

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I am I not suprised that this was on TNT. Had this game been on ABC there is no way you would have heard the crowd at all. Remember when games used to be on NBC? Man those were the days. Better announcers, crowd noice wasn't toned down, ohh and of course John Tesh's Roundball Rock!
Totally agree about the presentation and announcers...why doesn't Gus Johnson do the NBA playoffs lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You shouldn't just look at basketball and football players. Think about Division 2, Division 3, swimming, tennis, golf, etc, etc. Not everyone goes pro, and college sports is a huge time investment. They don't have time to get a job like normal students. Colleges make a huge amount of money profit wise from sports, and it's a shame that players don't even see a piece of it.

For example, you'll still see people wearing the TCU #5 jersey. Guess who wore that back in the day? LT. They are pretty much selling that number and that jersey, because of his name.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I agree with bored I think college athletes should get some sort of sum of money.

Nothing crazy like professional athletes get but at least a decent amount.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh yeah for sure. I mean, most athletes do get a full ride and what not, but that doesn't cover for apartment, food, etc. Plus, it can be used as an incentive to not have the one and done thing. That's why college bball players leave...for the money.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
What an ugly, boring, pathetic letdown of a finals game. That game was crap all the way through. I've never seen such a pathetic game in the NCAA. UConn was bad and Butler was record-breakingly pathetic. Neither team deserved to win it based on those performances. That was ugly and boring basketball and I hated it.

Fun fact: every single game in the elite eight onward went against what I wanted to happen, with the exception of Butler beating Florida.

My least favorite ending to a basketball tournament in memory. It was really just a waste of 3 hours watching that game. I have no idea why every team played so inexplicably bad against UConn, but that's really how to Huskies won. I was never really particularly impressed with them in the tournament and I still don't feel they're a great team. That was really just sad.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
i love it lmfao

and college athletics doesnt give much time for a job at all

besides if you move off campus your check is huge lmfao more then enough for spending money if you need it that bad
the full ride should be more then enough

athletes get paid. besides that gets into all sort of ncaa intangibles that no one wants to get into.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well also remember not ALL athletes get full rides. It'd be ridiculous if UT offered a full ride to every single athlete here.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484

Seriously though, I loved that game, and not just because of the outcome. Sure, 99-98 wins with tons of threes and what not can be exciting, but I love good defense, and seeing ten blocked shots is my idea of a great game.

Oh yeah, and

UCONN!!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dude...that was like 30% good defense LOL. You know it's bad even when the analysts are bagging on both teams for playing terribly. Yes defense is a factor, but it should NEVER be a factor into shooting 20% or whatever the hell Butler did. Same goes for Uconn.

After the Lakers blasted the Mavs on Friday...

Jane

Smash Hero
My least favorite ending to a basketball tournament in memory. It was really just a waste of 3 hours watching that game. I have no idea why every team played so inexplicably bad against UConn, but that's really how to Huskies won. I was never really particularly impressed with them in the tournament and I still don't feel they're a great team. That was really just sad.
this. all of this.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lmao, ya'll are just as much haters as the CBS commentators. XD

The game left a bad taste in my mouth, only because I felt bad for Butler not being able to buy a bucket. That kind of mental drain is rough on a team, but they never quit.

If anything, Butler's defense was the best(although they entered the dreaded zone and coughed away their slim lead). Butler was just tremendously outsized, and for whatever reason, the blocked shots and poor shooting traumatized them on offense. The player of the game was... I can't remember his name... but the Center for UConn. He dominated that paint, and managed to completely shut down Howard.

Seriously though, whether or not the game was rough to watch, you can't say they don't deserve to be champions. They won the games they played to get here. This ain't the BCS, it's Win or Go Home. :D

Congratz to UConn and Butler.

Now, on to real business guys. PLAYOFFS.

Top Bottom