• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I give credit to the MVP award Nash won the first time around, but it annoys the hell out of me that no one hates on his defense. Nash is probably one of the worst "superstar" defenders I've seen in a long time. I don't know how many times Tony Parker danced around him in the playoffs. Don Nelson had that run and gun, zero defense policy back in Dallas, and Nash carried it over in Phoenix with Dantoni.

Nash is a great offensive player, both shooting and passing wise, but his defense is plain garbage. Had he been a better defender, I have a feeling they would have at least made it to the Finals once, if not have a ring.

Which goes back to the media meat riding D-Rose. Rose is an average defender at best, and it's a shame that Dwight's defensive effectiveness is not taken into consideration as much.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wow the Heat are 25-3 when the Big 3 score 75 or more points...

Maybe playing 3 on 5 on offense isn't as bad of an idea as I thought it was.

EDIT: Tony Parker is an animal... Demolishing that Celtic defense atm. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
And here I thought Rondo was supposed to be one of the best if not the best defensive point guard out there.

When Rondo has his J on...Celtics become unstoppable.

Sucks Kristic got hurt just when Jermaine is back.

LOL! Is that Kevin McHale commenting? "Big baby did everything he could (against Duncan) except grow"

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I didn't get to watch the second half but that was a great game. Both teams played very well but it looks like Boston came out on top in the end. They still have the capacity to be just as good as good as they were when they had Perkins and it showed tonight.

Can't wait for the Heat to FINALLY beat them on April the 10th. :smash:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LOL! Bynum just ***** Dirk. Someone needs to make a poster of that dunk.

Well we'll see how long Kristic is out. Sad news that he only played 10 minutes, and didn't come back. Shaq is due back tomorrow (April Fools lawlz), so that's good news.

Edit: Kobe...he'll either shoot you into a game, or shoot you out. Takes the last 4-5 shots, and the lead shrinks from 7 to 3.

I LOVE these kind of games. I hope there are no suspensions, but 5 ejections, some rough fouls, PLAYOFF BASKETBALL.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Are the Lakers gonna pass the Spurs for the #1 seed??? o.0

Spurs can't even buy a win right now. What a shame for such a top tier team to play this poorly this close to the playoffs. Their confidence must be shot right now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't think their confidence is shot. This is the Spurs...not the Miami Cry Babies.

Spurs have been living all season on the up tempo, perimeter shooting style play. Duncan has stepped up his game inside, but if your game is predicated on perimeter shooting...it can only last so long.

Lakers were pissing me off in the first half, but finished up business in the second. Seems like that Boston vs Miami showdown is gonna be worth some popcorn. Also hope Boston can beat Chicago, assuming Lakers win out. Gotta get that HC.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
GTFO VCU

Their heads got too big after beating KU

Butler for the championship!

Jane

Smash Hero
ughhhhh both the teams i wanted to win lost :[

UK played like trash. GGs assols. now its all in butlers hands to avenge my cats >:O

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
If anyone had told me last November that UConn was going to be playing in the national championship, I'd have called them crazy. VCU won't be meeting them there, but oh well. Let's go Huskies!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
ughhhhh both the teams i wanted to win lost :[

UK played like trash. GGs assols. now its all in butlers hands to avenge my cats >:O
Me too. And yeah teams seem to just play bad against UConn for some reason. UK shot 4 for 12 on free throws while UConn was 9 of 11; that's why UK lost. Definitely rooting for Butler, and I don't think they'll randomly play so badly against UConn like other teams have.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Poop, Lakers lost. Oh well, can't win them all. 3 games in 4 days is always tough. And I don't want LA facing the Thunder anyways, so it's all good.

Now I just need Chicago to lose some games.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
LOL! Shaq is hurt again. Why am I not surprised?
I'm watching the Pistons/Celtics game right now. It was a bummer seeing Shaq get hurt again. He was playing good for the time he was in the game. The announcers said he has a sprained right calf and that it has nothing to do with his knee, which I assume has been giving him problems?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It was his achilles tendon that was the original problem. You're right, they are calling it a calf strain or at worse a sprain. It's fine for a young guy, but Shaq might take another month to get back into the thick of things given how slowly he heals.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, Shaq is definitely in his last year. I just hope he'll be able to come back for the second playoff round and onward.

Prediction: Winner of the Heat-Celtics game will grab the 2 seed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The guy could have settled the debate for most dominant force if he had a work ethic. The guy is flat out lazy, which is a shame. He packed on all that weight, and was fortunate enough to ride the coat tails of Wade for one more ring. He did slim down with Phoenix, and was amazing with Nash...unfortunately that was the last we saw of Shaq.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't care for the score I just wanna see Butler win. I love upsets.

Speaking of upsets... Does anyone else feel like the Nuggets have some true potential to upset OKC in the playoffs? They're playing some superb, unselfish basketball right now.

That's gonna be a great series to watch.

Jane

Smash Hero
Speaking of upsets... Does anyone else feel like the Nuggets have some true potential to upset OKC in the playoffs? They're playing some superb, unselfish basketball right now.

That's gonna be a great series to watch.
yes! that game yesterday against the lakers was ****ing amazing. its like losing melo was actually a weight being lifted off their shoulders.

actually, its not "like" that... that is exactly what happened, haha.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
yes! that game yesterday against the lakers was ****ing amazing. its like losing melo was actually a weight being lifted off their shoulders.

actually, its not "like" that... that is exactly what happened, haha.
I agree they remind me of the '03-'04 Pistons team when they had Ben Wallace, Sheed, Prince, Rip Hamelton, and young Billups... A collection of fantastic role players, but no stars.

Denver might end up becoming the new '03-'04 Pistons and could end up being true contenders in the upcoming years after they really mesh. Denver fans have a lot to be excited about.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We'll see how Denver treads when playoffs roll around. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the Lakers were playing their third game in four days, while the Nuggets were playing their third in five days. When the playoffs start, we'll see how everything balances out. In a series, it's generally helpful to have a superstar on your team, and the 04 Pistons are the last to prove that statement wrong.

I do think they have a chance to upset Thunder, but I don't think they will. Perkins and Ibaka will be too much inside for Martin, Birdman and Nene. Not sure if Afflalo can guard Durant, and then Westbrook is looking ready to carve up the Nuggets PGs.

Also, in their second meeting, the Lakers force fed Gasol and Bynum, and both took a dump on the Nuggets. I don't know why they didn't give Bynum a chance to operate. The opening minutes, Bynum was just grabbing rebounds and dunking. Should have given him some more post moves.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
80-60 UConn

As much as I would love Butler to win, this just seems like destiny for Walker and the Huskies

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, but the '04 Pistons had better talent than the Nuggets do right now. lol

And how does it not seem like destiny for Butler?!
Although UConn winning like 30 playoff games in a row is badass.

Jane

Smash Hero
so i "like" espn on facebook right?

they posted a simple question, as they often do: who will win it all? butler or uconn? tell us what you think!

so of course me being me, i post F*CK uconn! BUTLER!!

and to my surprise, someone messaged me because they saw my post, talking about how im just mad because they beat "sorry *** arizona" xD

we had a little arguement, but i knew i couldnt win because their win over arizona trumps anything i could say.

i just thought it was funny though, haha.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lmao that is pretty hilarious. I hate debating with random people over the internet. Sometimes I wonder if they are just trolling and trying to instigate something, while others are just debating through blind faith.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Debating with people on youtube is the best. Half of the people will respond to you with "hey ****** *** ***** ****ing **********, just SHUT THE **** UP and quit be a ****ing dip**** ****face, *******-****er"

As far as the Nuggets go, the current situation reminds me of a similarly smart deal they did in which they dealt Allen Iverson to the Pistons and got Chauncey Billups (and others) in return. That trade killed the Pistons, and now the Knicks are being killed by this new trade. Moral of the story: don't trade with the Nuggets.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nuggets are just trolls. People think they are getting a star player in return, but in reality it's the Nuggets just padding their stats.

I actually have the highest rated comment on some youtube videos. So random lol.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I hope with all my soul that Butler wins.

It just seems too good to be true, though :\

Top Bottom