• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hawks are a joke. They would get destroyed if they were in the West. They would probably lose to the top 6, and go knees in deep with Hornets if they still had West.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It really is a disgrace that Joe Johnson got that much money. I love the guy, but no way is he a super star. He should have been with Chicago playing the Ray Allen type of role. I bet he's regretting that a lot.

Or he just doesn't care about winning...in that case, smh

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I tried to post last night, but this internet is sketchy. :(

Anyways, our starting line-up last night:
Hill/Anderson/Splitter/Jefferson/Bonner.

No Big 3 or McDyess, they were all DNP. XD

And we still almost beat a Portland team that's nothing like it once was.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is embarrassing one of the worst performances I've seen all season.

I'll put down a bet Miami will still win though. They just finished a big streak to end the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter will be the Heat's quarter.

EDIT: Thank the Miami Heat Gods for for Mike Bibby. Only decent bench player right now. SMH

EDIT2: Bibby's 3 carryin the Heat right now. lol

Game ovaaaaaaa. This team will never understand the meaning of consistency. What a shame.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lololol you call the above^ an overreaction? Don't visit the Heat forums then. :laugh:

EDIT: What a sad loss for the Heat but I know where to give credit where credit is due. The Cavs have now beaten the Lakers, thrashed the Celtics, and now have partially ruined the Heat's chances of getting that 2nd seed. They only show up against the elites... What a weird team.

EDIT2: Maybe both the Heat and Boston really don't wanna see the Knicks in the first round. Could perhaps explain the recent sorry losses for both teams.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, it happens in a 82 game season. You can't always win, even against the pitiful teams. I didn't watch the game, but looking at the stat line, it seemed like the Big 3 struggled with their shot. Kinda weird, since one of them usually has it going on. Though if all 3 struggled, I guess you have to chalk it up to good D.

And lol wtf. Miller is out AGAIN?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What is there not to get? He made 2 points.

1. Bad part on Coach Spo to say what he did about the players crying.

2. Miami needs to stop being affected by the media and criticism. Just play your game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mike Miller is really injury prone. I'll give a quick breakdown of what happened though, individually.

-Wade pretty much never showed up. Had a couple of nice 3's then disappeared.
-LBJ despite the fact that he was pretty quiet, played an overall good game. Struggled a lot until the end of the 3rd quarter.
-Mike Bibby was the only reason the Heat came back and the game was tied in the 4th. He was draining 3's like crazy.
-Chris Bosh sucked.
-James Jones sucked (and has continually sucked) and just lost all hopes of getting a good amount of playing time in the playoffs. 3 point champion my *** hole.
-Rest of the Heat team sucked as usual. Joel Anthony played some good D though.

EDIT: One more thing I would like to add Chris Bosh is the catalyst of this team. If he plays bad, he takes the whole team down with him. LBJ and Wade will definitely get theirs in the playoffs, but I'm a bit worried about how Bosh will perform when under pressure like tonight. If Bosh doesn't perform well in the playoffs the Heat can kiss any hopes of getting a ring this season goodbye.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bosh didn't do so well when he was option 1 back in Toronto. And when you're team's points primarily come from your Big 3...you need all 3 to do well. So with that being said, I do agree that Bosh will have to show up nightly for them to win.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's the huge flaw in this team there's nobody that can help carry the Big 3 when all of them aren't on their game like tonight. Heat fans THOUGHT Mike Miller would be that 4th guy but he's been the biggest disappointment on this team all year. Plus Halsem's been gone all season cause of injuries.

After you look past the Big 3, an under-performing Mike Miller, and injured Haslem, there's nobody on this team that can score on a consistent basis which is really frustrating. Every now and then you'll have a random player like Mike Bibby tonight step up and help out, but then the next game they'll never show up.

I'm still very aware this team isn't even close to its full potential yet though. Bench adjustments are going to need to be made in the post season if this team ever wants to be consistent.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think James Jones has just been sucking mainly because his playing time disappeared. It was done to get Miller back in the game, but it somewhat cost them.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Messed the team up big time James Jones becomes super rusty, and then on top of that his replacement ends up shooting just as bad if not worse.

Mike Miller does hustle a lot more than Jones though so he's definitely the overall better player.

EDIT: LOL bandwagon fans always make me laugh after losses. Heat lose one game and half of the Heat forums goes haywire. http://heat.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5700037552/m/8221006906

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Random tweets I enjoyed.

Bill Simmons:

Email from my Mom: "If UConn wins, I win my pool. I only picked them because of Mokumbo Gumbo." She meant Kemba Walker.

Ron Artest:

I'm shocked!!! I was sleep and woke up with nipple piercings What do I do ASAP?

Smash Master
This is Miami folks. They play a couple good games and lull their fans into a false sense of security, and then they show their true colors, like tonight. The big 3 were tired of playing hard every game in their respective cities, so they came together and got lazy, and the coach isn't even trying to address it.

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about Chicago? They seem like they have the best shot in the east. If not them, who do you think will pull through to the finals in the east?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Maybe both the Heat and Boston really don't wanna see the Knicks in the first round. Could perhaps explain the recent sorry losses for both teams.
Why in the world would they not want to face the Knicks? The Knicks are completely awful right now. That's the best team you could possibly face in the first round.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Plus, Dantoni doesn't win championship. Team to be afraid of is Phili, but it seems like Miami matches up well with them.

What do you guys think about Chicago? They seem like they have the best shot in the east. If not them, who do you think will pull through to the finals in the east?
I love Chicago, but the only problem I have with them is that Rose does not have a second playmaker or true go to guy. I love Noah, and I'm okay with Boozer...but neither guys are true play makers. The closet thing you have is Korver coming off of screens. With that being said, it will be easy to scheme against Chicago. You can focus everything on shutting down Rose, or focus on shutting down his team. Either way, it kind of reminds me of LBJ in Cleveland.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I used to feel that way, but honestly Philly isn't looking very scary right now either. The Celtics will come to play when the playoffs start up, so they should be fine against either team. I think Miami would beat either team also.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doug Collins is definitely maximizing whatever talent the 76ers have, and is getting them to play some D. But yeah, no upsets here.

The west is just flat out dangerous from 1-7. Memphis maybe. Hornets are useless now without West.

Edit: Now this is just hilarious. First double digit win for the Cavs this season LMAO.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is Miami folks. They play a couple good games and lull their fans into a false sense of security, and then they show their true colors, like tonight. The big 3 were tired of playing hard every game in their respective cities, so they came together and got lazy, and the coach isn't even trying to address it.
Excuse me? True colors? I didn't know this team had been truly tested now... OH WAIT this new Heat team doesn't have a single game of playoff experience yet! You and I both have no idea what this team has in store for the playoffs, bud. If you haven't figured it out yet this team is still in the building process of a potential dynasty and the team is extremely flawed at the moment. This loss tonight against the Cavs barely meant anything other than the fact that they might not get that 2nd seed now. Don't act like good teams aren't allowed to have bad nights... And tonight was just that. I do however agree with your statement about the coach. Spo is a smart guy but he sucks at disciplining and motivating this team. He's no Phil Jackson/Doc Rivers.

Fun fact for ya- This Heat team is having a far better regular season than the '06 Heat... and they went on to win a Championship that year. So don't judge this team's motivation until the playoffs. Then you can talk all you want.

It all depends on which Celtic and Heat teams show up. Before the trade I would have predicted Boston in the finals in a heartbeat, but now I have no idea what to think of them anymore. The Heat are a complete wild card. They're tough to handle when they're at the top of their game and an easy target when they're off.

At this point in the season I'd guess it would come down to either Chicago or Miami.

The Magic could also surprise everyone and end up in the ECF.

Why in the world would they not want to face the Knicks? The Knicks are completely awful right now. That's the best team you could possibly face in the first round.
A lot of people (including myself) don't like the idea of going up against Melo and Amare in the first round, no matter how bad they're playing right now. The Knicks have the potential to surprise some teams if they're motivated enough. Kind of like in their recent game against the Magic.

The Heat match up well against them though, but they need all the energy they can get for the second round. I'd feel more comfortable going up against the 76'ers.

Liam123

Smash Rookie
As we can see on the standings, Bulls are sizzling hot in the EAST. They are solid and most of all, the players are healthy and very competitive. Luol Deng, D-Rose, C-Booz and Joakim plays beautiful basketball.

What do you think about the race for MVP? I think D-Rose will snatch the crown. Maybe a tough contest between him and Durant. But, Rose will be the MVP.:awesome::awesome:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Media already declared him MVP. It's said and done. Real talk should be about the other honors that would be less obvious. We know 6th man is Lamar Odom. MIP will be Kevin Love? RoY is Blake Griffin. DPOY probably Dwight.

What gets tricky is the All NBA team and All NBA Defensive Team. Mainly the debate between Kobe and Wade. I think Wade will make first team honors on both sides, but that may just backfire if they meet in the Finals.

Though I do think at the end of the day, guys like Thabo Sefolosha get no love.

Smash Master
Excuse me? True colors? I didn't know this team had been truly tested now... OH WAIT this new Heat team doesn't have a single game of playoff experience yet! You and I both have no idea what this team has in store for the playoffs, bud. If you haven't figured it out yet this team is still in the building process of a potential dynasty and the team is extremely flawed at the moment. This loss tonight against the Cavs barely meant anything other than the fact that they might not get that 2nd seed now. Don't act like good teams aren't allowed to have bad nights... And tonight was just that. I do however agree with your statement about the coach. Spo is a smart guy but he sucks at disciplining and motivating this team. He's no Phil Jackson/Doc Rivers.
You'd think getting the second seed would be important for home court against the celtics.

Miami at home: 28-10
Miami on road: 23-13
Boston at home: 29-8
Boston on road: 22-14

So yeah they did perhaps just cost themselves a playoff game. And lol@ dynasty. Like you said, they've done nothing, bro.

@bored Troll - someone who disagrees with you? Lol do you even play basketball?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Given the fact that your arguments are pretty weak to begin with just prove that either you lack proper knowledge when it comes to debating Basketball, or you're just trying to piss someone off.

So what if Miami lost? Someone already said that Cleveland has beaten Boston, LA, and now Miami. Upsets happen. And at the rate Boston is playing right now, what reason is there NOT to think that Miami won't get the second seed? Miami has the EASIEST schedule remaining, with their toughest matchup being Boston. Boston also has to go play San Antonio AND Chicago.

Given the fact you didn't decide to refute my counter post about why Gasol is not MVP of the Laker squad also proves that...

A. You don't acknowledge when you're wrong.
B. You're weak posts to begin with showed you were trying to piss me off.
C. You only rely on numbers, and that's it. Stats do give a person a good idea, but don't tell the whole tale. There are so many intangibles, actions, and other deep statistics that are never recorded.

If you kept up with this thread, you would easily know that I do play basketball. And what does playing basketball have to do with debating about the NBA? Does it give some insight? Sure, but I have yet to see you show any insight of your own mr numbers cruncher. You would be the last person to speak about the intangibles and the stats that don't appear on the boxscore.

I bet your best friend is John Hollinger right? You both enjoy number crunching, maybe you guys should do it together.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You'd think getting the second seed would be important for home court against the celtics.
I don't know what to say here I thought the same, but apparently the Cavs wanted an upset more than the Heat wanted the 2nd seed. **** happens.

And lol@ dynasty. Like you said, they've done nothing, bro.
Wow you really are clueless. I just said earlier that the team hasn't even played a game in the playoffs yet. If you actually watched basketball you'd understand that the regular season means very, very little. You think the regular season records determine a teams success huh? Look at how "successful" the old Cavs were then the last two seasons. Oh wait I forgot regular season records are WAY more important than winning championships amirite? :awesome:

So of course the Heat haven't done anything yet... They haven't had the CHANCE to. lol

@bored Troll - someone who disagrees with you? Lol do you even play basketball?
You're questioning the guy who knows more about basketball than anyone else on in this thread so you might as well just stop posting right here.

Smash Master
I think we're on the same page. I shouldn't count them out in the playoffs (which I haven't) and you need to GTFO of here with this dynasty talk. Otherwise I can be all oh yeah these new look Magic are a potential dynasty or whatever, and you'd be like 'lol wut' and now you know where I'm coming from when you say it. Neither team has done anything, and both of them have a ton of issues to resolve right now.

And why is he knowledgable, because you say so? :rolleyes: yeah that's convincing.

I don't read every post in this thread. It's whatevs. Did anyone address my point about how the nba basically has no salary cap?

I could get into it about how Kobe < Gasol, but you'd just ignore my stats and we'd just shout at each other about intangibles and single data points and subjective criteria. I prefer to argue with facts. I know you don't, so I'm not going to waste my time.

I'll just leave this here:

I found this on another forum, and I have to agree with everything:

I find the hype about Kobe to be extreme. He is a great player but imo he is very overrated.

Remember after Shaq left and before they got Gasol we got to see Kobe lead a team with minimal talent around him. It was mainly him, Odom, and Fisher. During those 3 seasons, Kobe and the Lakers failed to make the playoffs once and lost in the first round twice. One of those first round losses was to the Suns where Amare did not play for the entire seires. That's right- the Lakers lost to the Suns without Amare in a 7 games series yet Kobe got no flack for that. It was only after they got Gasol that they made it past the first round.

Kobe also gets no flack for taking games off like he did in the game 6 loss in the 2008 NBA finals that gave Boston the title. (7 of 22 shooting, 22 points 3 rebounds 1 assist). No one mentioned a word about Kobe quiting in that game.

But anyways here are Kobe's stats in all of the NBA finals he has been in:

2000 NBA Finals

Shaq- 38 PPG, 17 RPG, 2.5 APG, 2.7 BPG, 61% FG 96/157----6 games
Kobe-16 PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG, 1.4 BPG, 36% FG%, 33/90----5 games

MVP= Shaq. Shaq performs MUCH better than Bryant who shoots a pathetic 36 percent. Also Shaq was doubled covered while Kobe was left with less coverage but even then Shaq did much better.

2001 NBA Finals

Shaq- 33 PPG, 16 RPG, 5 APG, 3.5 BPG, 63/110 57% FG-----5 games
Kobe- 24 PPG, 8 RPG, 6 APG, 1.4 BPG, 44/106 41% FG------5 games

MVP= Shaq. Shaq performs MUCH better than Bryant who shoots 41%.. Also Shaq was doubled covered while Kobe was left with less coverage but even then Shaq did much better.

2002 NBA Finals

Shaq- 37 PPG, 12.25 RPG, 4 APG, 2.75 BPG, 50/84 60% FG----4 games
Kobe-26 PPG, 5.75 RPG, 5 APG, .75 BPG, 36/70 51% FG-------4 games

MVP= Shaq again. Same old story- Shaq gets doubled coverage yet he still out performs Kobe big time.

Total average stats for 3 championships (15 games)=

Shaq=36 PPG, 15.4 RPG, 3.7 APG, 3 BPG, 209/351 60% FG, Double coverage
Kobe=20 PPG, 6 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1 BPG, 113/266 42% FG, Single coverage

Tell me, who was the big player in the finals for the Lakers? Obviously Shaq. To give Kobe credit for these championships like you would give Duncan, Shaq, MJ, Hakeem etc credit for their championships is a JOKE. Shaq was BY FAR the best player on those teams period.

Kobe is one of the most overrated bball players of all time. I would still rank him about #16 all time, which is good but most people are hit by the hype and rank him top 10 which is very untrue.

Now let’s take a look at Kobe’s other 3 championship appearances, 2 of which were losses. In a few weeks from now I predict that Kobe will have another championship appearance and a championship loss to Boston.

2004 NBA finals 5 games loss
Shaq= 27 PPG, 11 RPG, 2 APG, .6 BPG, 53/84 63% FG
Kobe=22 PPG, 3 RPG, 4 APG, .6 BPG, 43/113 38% FG

This was a 5 game loss to Detroit. But Shaq once again clearly outperformed Kobe who severely damaged his team with his terrible shooting percent instead of passing it to Shaq.

2008 NBA finals 6 games loss
Kobe= 25 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 5 APG, .16 BPG, 53/131 40% FG

Yet another terrible shooting NBA finals by Kobe.

2009 NBA finals 5 games win
Kobe= 32 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 7.4 AGP, 58/135, 42% FG

Finally his first great NBA finals performance and it only took him 6 tries to get it! But even then he shot a low 42%.

2010 NBA Finals 7 games win
Kobe= 28.6PPG, 3.9APG, 66/163 40.5 FG%

Well Kobe Shot 6-24 in Game 7 of the Finals, That was horrible. He shot 40%FG for the entire series and he now holds the record for the lowest FG% for a NBA Finals MVP winner.

All in all, Kobe does not perform anywhere as well in the NBA finals as people think (his playoff stats outside of the NBA finals are similar to that as well).

Kobe overall NBA finals stats from 7 series averaged=

24 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.7 APG, 41% FG (333/808) 37 games.

He gets hyped a lot because he is from the huge market of LA. I was shocked when I saw voters vote that Kobe was a better Laker than Shaq. It was no comparison!

I could understand if he was the only one on the team but he has played for extremely talented teams. Shaq took up double coverage in the first 4 NBA finals where Kobe still struggled and in the past 2 NBA finals, while Kobe was the best on his team he had good teammates that prevented opposing teams from locking down on Kobe.

KOBE IS SO OVERRATED.
2009, Nelson injured for ORL, Garnett injured BOS.
2002, 2010 Rigged for Lakers.

I think that the Kobe stans don't even care about the rings argument at all. They love Kobe and dislike ANY player that "challenges" him especially when that player is clearly better, so whether or not he wins a title with his team they'll change up their argument to suit their needs. Think about it, this is what we heard from them every year:

2003: Kobe's the best, the Spurs were the better team and Shaq sucked and was overweight (he didn't suck)
2004: Kobe's the best, the Pistons were better and Shaq sucked and was overweight (he didn't suck, and Kobe played like GARBAGE in the Finals)
2005: Kobe's the best, er, um...transistion year?
2006: Kobe's the best, his team just sucks in the playoffs and he played against three all-stars in the Suns
2007: Kobe's the best, his team sucks again and played the Suns again. WAAAAAAH trade him he has no help and Bynum sucks
2008: Kobe's the best, Gasol just sucks (LOL he doesn't) and he played against three Hall of Famers in Boston
2009: Kobe's the best because he won a TITLE (notice the change in the argument now!), LeBron sucks because he didn't (even though he had the same situation as Kobe years before his first title since the Shaq years)
2010: same as 2009

You see? These stans...don't care for rings. Just keeping Kobe on top by any means.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think we're on the same page. I shouldn't count them out in the playoffs (which I haven't) and you need to GTFO of here with this dynasty talk. Otherwise I can be all oh yeah these new look Magic are a potential dynasty or whatever, and you'd be like 'lol wut' and now you know where I'm coming from when you say it. Neither team has done anything, and both of them have a ton of issues to resolve right now.
You do know that's why I used the word "potential" right? And you can deny it all you want the fact is that the Heat arguably have the most room for improvement and potential in the entire NBA... and yet they're still managing to compete for a championship in their FIRST year together. And that is WITH Wade being injured in the pre-season and the Heat lacking their best player behind the Big 3, Haslem, for the majority of the season.

If the right moves are made in the post season I guarantee you'll be eating your words... Just wait for it.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Is it me, or is Baron Davis a real head-scratcher? He's obviously extremely talented, and has been doing very well with the Cavs so far (a surprise to me). But then there are those long periods where he doesn't try/eats one too many Krispy Kremes. The man's a roller-coaster.

Rose is virtually locked into the MVP at this point... I'm a little upset though. Admittedly, he's been on fire this past year, but it's somewhat frustrating how much cuddling and love he gets from the media. They've already given him the award automatically. What about Russell Westbrook? He's the same sort of score-first guard, and his stats are very close to Rose's. And Dwight Howard?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't read every post in this thread. It's whatevs. Did anyone address my point about how the nba basically has no salary cap?
A couple of us did address it, but it's 20 some pages back. I'm not going to go fish it out.

I'll just leave this here:

Remember after Shaq left and before they got Gasol we got to see Kobe lead a team with minimal talent around him. It was mainly him, Odom, and Fisher. During those 3 seasons, Kobe and the Lakers failed to make the playoffs once and lost in the first round twice.
Kobe didn't have Fisher with him. Fisher went to the Warriors, followed by a stint with Utah before coming back to LA. Odom has been known for his inconsistency, and never did embrace the second banana role.

First season was a failure in itself. No questions asked. At the same time, throughout their 3 years, Kobe was surrounded with HORRIBLE talent. Worse than LBJ. Look at the players Kobe had to play with. And I'm only gonna list the ones that got playing time.

PG: Smush Parker (baggin groceries). Tierre Brown (baggin groceries). Jordan Farmar (a rookie). Von Wafer (The only noticeable talent, but didn't make his impact until he got to Houston 2-3 years later). Devin Green (Baggin groceries). Now playing for the Wizards). Shammond Williams (baggin groceries)

SG: Maurice Evans (poor defensive and poor shooting guard). Aaron McKie (200 years old). Sasha Vujacic (He was never good, and a constant choker). Jim Jackson (A fossil by the time he got to LA).

SF: Luke Walton (pathetic when he's your starter. Can't shoot, can't play D. Just passes). Vladamir Radmonivic (doesn't play D, but a good 3 point shooter).

PF: Odom (Only good player, but was still inconsistent and disappeared more than he was there). Brian Cook (Baggin groceries). Turiaf (good hustle player, but was played as center, and way too undersized. Still around with the Knicks).

C: Chris Mihm (had so much potential, but was always injured, and eventually cut). Bynum (didn't see the floor for a while). Kwame Brown (pretty good defensively, but lol at offense).

On top of that, the Lakers were one of the WORST defensive teams in the league, another testament to exactly how much work Kobe had to do for his team to win. At least LeBron's teams in Cleveland were a top notch defensive squad. Kobe didn't even have that. Given how the West was its most competitive in years with Dallas and Phx being both 60 win teams, Utah, SA, and Houston were 50+ win teams, and LA finishing with the 7th seed with 42 wins. With that "talent" Kobe had, that's an impressive feat in itself.

But at the end of the day, it's stupid to argue that one player can take a crappy team to a title. Maybe make some noise in the playoffs, but that's it. You need talent. Perhaps not legitimate superstars, but talent.

*Oh and it's funny to note that in those years, Gasol got SWEPT both years in the playoffs being the leader of his Memphis squad. He had much more talent on his team with Mike Miller in his prime (17 ppg), Shane Battier (premiere defensive guard), Eddie Jones and Bobby Jackson both were good scoring guards as well. Yet they could not even win 1, I repeat 1 game in the playoffs. With Gasol being the leader of his team, that's well....just poor leadership and showing lack of focus on his end.

*Also, do note that before the Gasol trade in the 2007-2008 season, the Lakers were first place before Bynum went down. The only difference was Kobe got some much better talent around him. Old Fisher came back, and Bynum had developed his game some.

Kobe overall NBA finals stats from 7 series averaged=

24 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.7 APG, 41% FG (333/808) 37 games.
What's wrong with 41%? That's ONLY 4% below his season average? Teams have a chance to make game plans towards you, defensive adjustments are, teams are better at playing defense. Jordan only once averaged his regular season fg% of 50% once during the playoffs, and in his second 3-peat, averaged 45%, a 5% dip from his regular season. Keep in mind also, during Jordan's era, there was no zone defense or double teaming allowed. Jordan had the privilege of checking his man one on one, and having a much easier time taking them to the hoop.

In the 1996 finals, Jordan shot a meager 41.5 FG % and won Finals MVP. 9/22 in Game 2. 6/19 in Game 4. 5/19 in Game 6.

I'm not saying that Kobe has never had several moronic moments. I hated him in the 2004 finals vs the Pistons, but that's about it. He also was forced to bail out Shaq plenty of times in the playoffs + Finals, because Shaq would be pulled to the bench due to his poor free throw shooting. I think even one game in the Finals, Shaq fouled out, and Kobe led the team on his own. Shaq needed Kobe as much as Kobe needed Shaq. Shaq was the most dominant center at that time, and Kobe was one of the best if not the best SG at that time.

KOBE IS SO OVERRATED.
2009, Nelson injured for ORL, Garnett injured BOS.
2002, 2010 Rigged for Lakers.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 2002 was one of the most embarrassing moments as a basketball fan and Laker fan I've had to witness. With that being said...

So what if Nelson was injured? You do realize that in 2008, Kobe did not have Bynum, and Ariza was coming off a broken foot injury with his first game being in the Finals right? Injuries are a part of the game. **** happens.

2006: Wade averages like a 15 free throws per game vs the Mavs. A lot of calls which the Mavs did not get on the other end. Stern's revenge on Cuban.
2008: Leon Powe out shoots the entire Laker team in Free Throws. Refs allow Boston to play their "physical" game, which is fair, but stupid when the Lakers can't do the same.
2010: This is what irks me. You honestly think that game 7 was rigged? The main complaint I hear about is the fourth quarter. Watch the tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUDNudMQ4o

Yes the refs missed calls, but to be more concise, they missed calls on both ends. For example, that should have been a charge on Allen, because he lowered his shoulder. A defensive player does not need his feet set to get that call, he just has to beat him to the spot. On the other hand, I do think it was a charge on Gasol when he dribbled it against Pierce.

What's even better is this video doesn't even justify the amount of times Ray Allen would purposely touch or hit kobe's wrist on his jumpshots throughout the series. Ask any basketball player, and they will tell you that most certainly affects how you shoot the ball.

Celtics just ran out of gas in the fourth quarter due to their short rotation, plain and simple. When you run out of gas, you reach and foul more.

-----

With all this being said, I do not think Kobe is the most overrated athlete or superstar of all time. There are plenty of players who are in contention for that such as Karl Malone, Steve Nash, Melo, Dirk, Bosh, and even possibly LBJ and Wade down the line.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Steve Nash isn't overrated as an athlete. XD

And TRG is mistaken. Bored knows less about basketball than my left testicle. :awesome:

Top Bottom