• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Basically, the game was handed to the Cavs by the refs. Pretty obvious "home court advantage" being much too generous. IMO the game should not have gone to OT as that was goal tending.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I watched the replay, and the ball had just began its descent, so I can see why that was not a GT call. I didn't watch the whole game or OT to know if the refs were super biased. I think even Jalen Rose commented on the refs being gay to the Clippers LOL.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I've seen that commercial a bajillion times. It's one of the few NBA ads I really liked. Actually, I liked that whole series along with the split face. KG vs LBJ was the best.

KG: I remember seeing Bird win it all
LBJ: I remember seeing Jordan win it all

Both: Some dreams fade over time, but not this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry816LKgDUE

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Miami plays Boston tomorrow to CONFIRM that they are truly the biggest threat in the Eastern Conference at this time!

Soooooo pumped this game is going to be the closest indication so far of how a 7 game series might look between these 2 teams.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well if Delonte, Shaq, and Nate don't play...it's not much of an indication. Hence why I didn't take much from the LA win over them.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
oh, and my wildcats are number 1 in the pac-10

az baby. we go ham.
Mizzou goes so ham ya'll look like turkeys. :D
Although, they've lost a lot of games to elite opponents this year. :(

A&M in the top 25 is crazy by the way. Good college hoops this year though.

(I just saw a piece on Jimmer Fredette on ESPN and they interviewed analysts on how to stop him. Jalen Rose said "Defense?! Defense?! I was on the team that gave 81 points to Kobe Bryant! Don't ask me about defense!" lmaooo)

They better! I don't want this game to get ruined I've been looking forward to it for too long.
They're not. :(

Just read the report. Only Nate is gonna play, but he has a bruised knee.

Damn, that's sick Chok.
Ditto. Badass pic man.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Such obvious bias...KG called for an offensive foul trying to post up Bosh. Then called for a foul on a good deflection. Rondo called for a 5 second backdown when House was using both hands to push him away. Smh.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat just cannot beat the freaking Celtics.

The Heat bench lost that game. No bench scoring production at all except for big Z.

EDIT: Just look at these pathetic numbers:

Miller: 1-5, 5pts, in 24 mins

Jones: 0-1, 1pt, in 7 mins

Joel: 0-0, 0pts, in 21 mins (he also had 1 reb, my bad)

House: 1-6, 2pts, in 21 mins

Like seriously where the **** were they the whole game?? You can't put 3 superstars on one team and expect them to single-handedly beat the Celtics. STEP IT UP ROLE PLAYERS!!! :mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Here I thought the Lakers would continue their trend of great defense and chemistry...but no, they had to become disinterested again. God dammit.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In Lakers defense, that was their 3rd game in 4 days. Another game tomorrow in Charlotte >_<.

Boston, New York, Orlando...that's brutal.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to doubt the Lakers and their chance or 3-peating. Dang.

Heat-Celtics was a great game. There were some questionable calls, yes, but I agree that the Heat's bench just didn't step it up enough.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm really starting to doubt the Lakers and their chance or 3-peating. Dang.

Heat-Celtics was a great game. There were some questionable calls, yes, but I agree that the Heat's bench just didn't step it up enough.
I think LA will be fine. Their offense was just off today. Besides, playing their third game in 4 days is extremely hard. Think about the road trips, getting in late at night, getting 5-7 hours of sleep...it just throws you off. I'm just concerned about Lakers home court play. It seems like they are better on the road.

With that being said, it's not gonna be an easy road to the Finals. I'm mainly concerned about Dallas and Spurs. However, Bynum's play these past few games have been really impressive. He really took it to Dwight today. Remember, Dwight is former DPOY, so scoring on him isn't easy. Though on the defensive end, Bynum was practically a stiff.

Oh, and as Big Sean would rap it...

"They say good music is like the new Miami Heat ****, but comparing them to us, man they gotta add Kobe"

=)

Edit: Which begs the question...would Miami be better with Kobe instead of Wade? In my opinion, yes against the better teams, but not the lesser.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Like Bored said, Lakers will come together when it's time. Spurs also just had a 4 games in 5 day stretch, but the teams were alot easier than who the Lakers had to play.

I would think the Lakers would wanna try to secure the 2nd spot over Dallas. Home court (if they end up playing in the 2nd round) would be crucial.

Idk who I fear more between the 2 teams. Dallas missed Dirk for awhile, and 2 of the Spurs victories he wasn't playing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Only thing I'm worried about for the Lakers is Artest and Fisher. Artest is fine on defense, but both of their offenses are pure garbage. Artest needs to come to the gym early, and just work on that corner pocket 3. He was good with it last year, but this year he's just terrible. When Fisher and Artest are off, they are playing 3 on 5 pretty much.

Mavs and Lakers play two more times I believe. No doubt in my mind those games will be important. HC matters. Boston somehow pulled it off last year, but Game 7 was their downfall. Not saying LA can't win on the road, but going three rounds without HC is just tough.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Edit: Which begs the question...would Miami be better with Kobe instead of Wade? In my opinion, yes against the better teams, but not the lesser.
Wade has already proven he can perform at the highest level in clutch moments. But for whatever reason there are certain teams he just completely folds against... mainly Boston.

Plus Wade is younger, so in the long haul Wade would be a better fit for the team.

Would Kobe and LeBron even have any chemistry at all with each other? :urg:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Interesting analysis. Gasol really is soft. Him getting pushed out was a disappointment. However, I have to disagree with his note on the triangle offense humming along fine without Kobe in the fourth. Yes Lakers built a lead, but then they were really close to losing it. The lead went from 8 to 2. Kobe came in, and scored 3 straight times to ice the game. Lakers are their best when they blend both offenses.

Well I'm just saying this about Wade. He has a smooth jump shot, but the jumpshot isn't perfected. He will be turning 30 next season, and he needs to start mastering his craft or develop another style of offense. I think we're seeing it now where he gets contested more on jumpers, and he becomes inconsistent. He either goes a monster 10/16 one night, then shows up and puts up the numbers like he did tonight vs Boston. Kobe has that MJ post game where he can back you down and make a easy elbow shot. On top of that, defenses collapse on him to get other guys open looks.

I think LBJ and Kobe could exist. LBJ is not much of a post player anyways, and Kobe can live in the post if he wanted too. Kobe got LBJ to play good defense, so it wouldn't be surprising if Kobe got him to just be a better player.

Edit: I actually for a while...wanted Lakers to not resign Kobe, and then go grab Wade. Wade was younger, faster, and more explosive...but on hindsight, I'm glad they retained Kobe. His consistent jumpshot is too valuable along with his will.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Thread blew up tonight. :O
So much to respond, so little time...

I think LA will be fine. Their offense was just off today. Besides, playing their third game in 4 days is extremely hard. Think about the road trips, getting in late at night, getting 5-7 hours of sleep...it just throws you off. I'm just concerned about Lakers home court play. It seems like they are better on the road.

With that being said, it's not gonna be an easy road to the Finals. I'm mainly concerned about Dallas and Spurs. However, Bynum's play these past few games have been really impressive. He really took it to Dwight today. Remember, Dwight is former DPOY, so scoring on him isn't easy. Though on the defensive end, Bynum was practically a stiff.

Nobody should worry about the Lakers and their future success in this season. Honestly, the reason I've started fearing the Lakers so much is because the "almost dynasty" that they're working on right now is nearly identical to the Spurs dynasty of 4 Championships.

The only difference is that LA has Kobe(greatest right now) and Gasol/Bynum/Odom, who aren't as outstanding as Robinson/Duncan(greatest of then). The biggest similarity between the teams: LA has nights where they just flat out suck on offense. Something I've gotten painfully used to as a Spurs fan. That said, beating them 4 times is a rough proposition. On the flipside of this, Spurs look like the Lakers of the last decade right now imo. lol

And like I said, all that Bynum trade talk was ridiculous. He's much more valuable than Melo would be. Size can't be taught.

And YES, Miami would be much better with 2 of the greatest players of all time. XD
No disrespect to Wade, one of the greatest scoring talents around, and a sure-fire HoF player... He's just not one of the best ever. Kobe and LeBron are something special.

Wade is akin to players like Paul Pierce, but not on the level of players like KG, Ray Allen, and Howard who are special beyond compare. :\

Like Bored said, Lakers will come together when it's time. Spurs also just had a 4 games in 5 day stretch, but the teams were alot easier than who the Lakers had to play.

I would think the Lakers would wanna try to secure the 2nd spot over Dallas. Home court (if they end up playing in the 2nd round) would be crucial.

Idk who I fear more between the 2 teams. Dallas missed Dirk for awhile, and 2 of the Spurs victories he wasn't playing.
Don't fear Dallas more than LA. Dallas is a fantastic team, but for some reason they can't beat us in the playoffs. Always a great series, but we've had their number until otherwise noted. :\
(My personal line of reasoning is that we know we can't stop Dirk, so we stop everyone else. We cut our losses and focus on a gameplan, simple as that.)

Really, the West is a 3 team race right now, which isn't as much fun as past seasons... but makes the finals thrilling because of the immense talent in both conferences.
San Antonio, Boston, Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Orlando, in that order, are almost equal in talent and roster. (except maybe Miami... lol)

Wade has already proven he can perform at the highest level in clutch moments. But for whatever reason there are certain teams he just completely folds against... mainly Boston.

Plus Wade is younger, so in the long haul Wade would be a better fit for the team.

Would Kobe and LeBron even have any chemistry at all with each other? :urg:
I think they'd get along great because both have shown the ability to make others better. Kobe may be "selfish" in some sense of the word, but he brings and breeds excellence, which is something LeBron also shows signs of.

But as far as Wade goes, he's extremely clutch, I can't lie. The problems with Boston are deeper than Wade's talent being the issue. Boston makes an immense effort to shut Wade down, and the main focus is his very sketchy jump shot. Not to mention, Boston is the best interior defensive team in the league.

27%, 6 turnovers, and just 12 points are his averages for the 3 games. Terrible stat line, and it's because of Boston, not Wade. In my opinion, Miami's the 3rd best team in the league, but will not win the East because they match up so poorly to Boston. :\

Another league note, I cannot believe people talking trash about Blake Griffin. He's a legit talent, respect him already. (Looking at Reggie Evans)

Now, some points of business... Since the thread is much more active, I'm gonna' polish up some things on it. What do you guys think about making the first post have a list of all people in the thread with their favorite teams in NBA or NCAA along with favorite players and extra info like favorite position or play? I think it'd be nice to make a main listing, as well as try to get all NBA teams represented here. Lemme' know if this is a good idea, if 8 people are down, I'll set it up.

Also, everyone better be making NCAA tourney brackets. XD
If you guys have accounts on ESPN, I'll set up a group for us to compete in since we all know we're better than everyone else. Especially me.

And lastly, during the All-Star break, I'll post another breakdown of how I see the league Power Rankings, as well as my early favorites for each award. Ya'll should do the same, no?

We should definitely be collaborating for a deeper understanding of all things Roundball. XD

Lemme' know what ya'll think.

Nike.

Smash Hero
NBA team: Spurs
NCAA team: Arizona Wildcats

And I have no reason to fear both teams. They'll have to take each out in the second round and then I only have to fear one :)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Great stuff Maaan. Not big on NCAA, so I've never kept up with it, and with that, never participated in the bracket march madness stuff.

NBA Team: Lakers
NCAA Team: Texas
Favorite Player: Kobe Bryant
Favorite Position: Shooting Guard
Favorite Play: Double screen underneath the basket to get a shooter free in the corner for a quick 3. Ray Allen style.

------
Blake is good. I'm telling you. Clippers can be a playoff team next year. Griffin just needs to improve his D.

And Maan, I think Dallas matches up well with Spurs. I think it will be a 6 game, if not 7 game series between the two. Tyson Chandler is gonna shut down Duncan, and nothing against Manu...but he does seem like an inconsistent shooter to me. Feels like everytime I watch him, a good defender can make him miss a lot. Though it will come down to Terry and Kidd. Butler may return, but I don't think he'll be good enough to have his 15 ppg.

End of day...it's the role players that make the difference. Matt Bonner is deadly from 3. George Hill is a stud. RJ can get hot from 3 as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Isolations are so lame...the worst kind is when a person just cross overs another. And damn, palming the ball like there were no rules back then...oh wait.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
NBA Team: Spurs
NCAA Team: Missouri Tigers
Favorite Player: (right now) DeJuan Blair. (In all my time) Tim Duncan.
Favorite Position: Center
Favorite Play: Pick and Roll is the greatest 2 man play around. My favorite variation is a double pick where the first man pops for a corner 3 and the second man rolls.

tko112

Smash Lord
NBA Team: Lakers
NCAA Team: North Carolina Tar Heels
Favorite Player: MJ
Favorite Position: Point Guard
Favorite Play: I don't know right now, but as long as they are well executed, every play can be anyone's favorite

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'm kind of new to this thread but I've been lurking for quite some time now.

Anyway...

Favourite NBA Team: Celtics
Favourite NCAA Team: None
Favourite Player: Larry Bird

tko112

Smash Lord
the Lakers are either playing tired or playing lazy right now

i understand it's the Bobcats, a team who has had their numbers since their birth, but this is just sad

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Double posting because I never seem to sleep...

Here's a fun little stat for you gentlemen: When you think of elite defense, you think of the West normally, right? And when you think of high-octane offense, you think of the East normally, right? That's how it's been for the past decade pretty much.

Welp, not so apparently.

Top 3 teams in the league as far as Pts All per 100 possessions are: Chicago, Boston, and Miami.
Top 3 teams in the league as far as Pts per 100 possessions are: Denver, San Antonio, and Los Angeles.

Another fun stat to further go with my point about the Lakers being just like the Spurs?
Possessions per game: 15th and 16th in the league.
Off. Eff.: 2nd and 3rd
Def. Eff.: 7th and 8th

And while the parity exists at the top of each conference, the disparity among the bottom feeders still hasn't changed between the two.

West vs. East this year: 184-133

And for my final little stat, my personal favorite, +/-:

The 4 most efficient players so far are
Shaq, at .260 +/min
Matt Bonner at .257
KG at .252
Manu at .250

That means, that when Manu is on the court, we score 1 more point than the other team every 15 seconds. :D

Top Bottom