• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Bayonetta in Tournaments

Should Bayonetta be banned?

• Yes, she is game breaking

Votes: 157 19.6%
  • No, players need to adapt to her mechanics

Votes: 398 49.6%
  • Not sure yet, meta progress or patches could resolve the issue.

Votes: 248 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
This is a nice example of the Bayonetta main option select :
-If someone loses to Bayo it just means they have to play better.
-If someone wins against Bayo it means she's not broken.
In any case the Bayo main wins the argument.

Look at that video for more than 2 seconds and you'll see how horrible Wonf played. Just in the first match he whiffed a non negligible number of moves, went too aggressive when he had no reason to and lost both his stocks on terrible decisions (first by ignoring Leo's offensive roll and second by just running into a goddamn Fsmash).

If this video shows anything it's that you can beat a Bayonetta player by being less bad than him.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
This is a nice example of the Bayonetta hater option select :
-If someone loses to Bayo it means bayo is broken.
-If someone wins against Bayo it means the bayo played horrible.
In any case the Bayo hater wins the argument.
Yea that's a pretty accurate description.
You really need to have some self awareness.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can't understand you guys. It's like i see children wanting to have a real argument but neither can prove their claim or Just ignore each other point. And that The USA bias is strong here. Let me remind you how each time we had a similar subject it ended:

Custom Move :

Pro-custom:
-It can help a lot of character!
-They create diversity in battle!
-Just ''Adapt :^)'' ''Git Gud''

Pro-custom ban:
- I don't want to unlock them
-I don't want to learn the MU
-They are broken!

The general concensus was that there wasn't any data and that we needed to try at least a Major. We used the EVO. Result? Except Campy Villager/Sonic there wasn't any ''BIG'' problem ( Even skull bash or Donk Airbender) No ''''jank'''''' custom move won the tournament but (i guess) that there was Abaddango with a custom Wario Bike in the Top 8?

Guess what? In a single tournament it got banned without any real reason.

Palutena Custom Only:

Pro-PaluCustom:
-It help her a lot
-She was designed around this
-No need to unlock it
-Just learn the MU! Adapt!

Pro-PaluCustomBan:
-Oh yeah? But if she is autorised why not the other?
-YOU HAVE TO PRESS A BUTTON! THE CUSTOM BUTTON! WHAT A F**** BIG DEAL!
-MUH DON'T WANT TO LEARN

We didn't even tried. Even if the pro-PaluCustomban argument was weak as **** since they coudn't say ''I don't want to unlock them''

Mii Fighter Different size/Custom:

Pro-Mii:
-We can use Guest Mii and just customise them
-They ''unlock'' three new fighter!
-Why we can play three fighter?
-EVEN 1111 PLEASE LET US PLAY OUR CHARACTER

Pro-MiiBan:
-I don't want to learn MU
-Muh different size

What did it change? They are mostly banned, some scene/local/regional autorize them with 1111 normal size and some with custom special.

Bayonetta:

Pro-Bayo:
-Just ''Adapt :^)'' or ''Git gud''
-WE DON'T HAVE DATA!!
-She's not broken. She have A LOT OF weakness
-She don't carries player. Just the old character that was a burden for the player

Pro-Bayoban:
-She's boring to watch
-She invalidate to much character
-She is too Low risk/Too High reward
-Bad design ( Witch twist/Witch time/Bat within)
-She can destroy some scene
-SHE'S OUT FOR TWO MONTH BUT CAN BE TOP8 WITH A TWO MONTH METAGAME IN A MAJOR!
-She carries players

What baffle me how the bayonetta case is the same as the custom move argument.
But we let them a single chance and without any REAL JANK BUH MKBRAWL INFINITE COMBO we banned them.
For the one saying we have ''NO DATA'' it could be nice to open your eyes over your little country known as USA.
In Europe she's everywere. In Japan she won a lot of major since she's out. The most recent one had 3 Top8Bayo
And this in a two month metagame.
Why are we having this discussion? Because if we autorize Bayonetta i guess we should autorize Custom and Mii.

Seriously guys. Grow up. It's painful to watch and see a community killing himself because of a single character.

Last edited:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Alternatively:
- If someone loses to Bayo, the character is braindead and should be banned. (A part of Russia seems to have decided to join Spain in this regard)
- If someone wins against Bayo, it means the player is braindead and just...I don't know, spent two days learning the character instead of the three days it's been claimed it takes to learn the character.
In any case the Anti-Bayo people win the argument.

We're going round and round in circles here.

You cannot ban a character due to the community's perception of it as opposed to the facts, to actual data.

Else, among other things, you're setting an incredibly risky precedent for when the next game comes out.

In good faith, I've been attempting to add to the data by doing something like this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/help...-claims-about-bayonetta.435000/#post-21096024

If there's anything you think I can do to improve my plan, I'd appreciate it.

In Europe she's everywere. In Japan she won a lot of major since she's out. The most recent one had 3 Top8Bayo
Who in Europe? Which tournaments is she everywhere at? I can add it to my list.

And the most recent Japanese one, what's the point being made? Have you watched the matches to see how the won? Do you know who the players actually were?

The US has the most streamed tournaments and a wealth of the best talent. Of course it's going to be used the most when it's the place with the most readily available data.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Who in Europe? Which tournaments is she everywhere at? I can add it to my list.

And the most recent Japanese one, what's the point being made? Have you watched the matches to see how the won? Do you know who the players actually were?

The US has the most streamed tournaments and a wealth of the best talent. Of course it's going to be used the most when it's the place with the most readily available data.
Sumabato 9 for the last major japanease tourney.
Yeah i know who the player actually were.
In Europe i guess you can say the France/Spain/Swiss.

My point was to say that the entire argument was stupid. Why people can't just enjoy the game? Why do we need to ban everything?
I'm dead serious.
Custom had the potential to create a lot of interessting match.
Palu-custom could help her
Mii are interesting character...

Everything is now banned.

Now it's Bayonetta turn. And i'm affraid when i see this community. Smash 4 is a game that i love. I don't want it to die because people can't enjoy the game because of one character.

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
But this is the basis that all Match-Ups go on. Isn't this what was said about pre-patch Sheik and pre-patch Diddy? What has been asked is how is she Broken? you can't get out of 0-Death combos? Disproven. Witch Time is a bother? Bait it out twice and it's not an option anymore. She has an incredible neutral game? Projectile can't be wave-bounced and forces Bayo to commit with decent time it's out along with several other reasons. Come on, you have to see this too right. The argument that she's Broken is slowly being beaten so much that people are resorting to using "she's boring" and "she'll bring down attendance" as arguments now. We even tackled the results in Japan with Komorikiri and 9B. Give us something that will make us think about this in the same light other than "she is tough to fight against and conventional methods of flowchart play don't work against her"

Look at that video for more than 2 seconds and you'll see how horrible Wonf played. Just in the first match he whiffed a non negligible number of moves, went too aggressive when he had no reason to and lost both his stocks on terrible decisions (first by ignoring Leo's offensive roll and second by just running into a goddamn Fsmash).
Well, the question to ask here is what could he have done. What people have said is that to beat Bayonetta you have to play patient and he played patient. I'm not just gonna make concessions here for him and say that Wonf is bad. Because this is a rematch where he 2-0'd his opponent and got 0-2'd. As people learn the matchup, Bayonetta has a hard time approaching. That and he threw out the least amount of moves as possible. He "stopped playing like a flowchart MK" and started playing like a FGC player trying to win. And the stocks he lost, he got his options called out. People should stop acting like Bayonetta is the end all be all and accept that she, like Sheik, can lose matches.

In Japan she won a lot of major since she's out. The most recent one had 3 Top8Bayo And this in a two month metagame.
What is this tournament you speak of? What are these European tournaments you speak of (besides spain). Please cite sources before there is a spread of misinformation (again).

-She's boring to watch
-She invalidate to much character
-She is too Low risk/Too High reward
-Bad design ( Witch twist/Witch time/Bat within)
-She can destroy some scene
-SHE'S OUT FOR TWO MONTH BUT CAN BE TOP8 WITH A TWO MONTH METAGAME IN A MAJOR!
-She carries players
-She's boring is Objective at this point and doesn't matter really. This is an abstract concept that doesn't affect everyone the same way since there are people that DON'T think she's boring.
-She invalidates too much of the character roster... you mean.... like... a Top Tier Tournament Character typically does?
-Low Risk/ High Reward? like... trying to find a way to open up a player since she has a lot of unsafe options on shield? Seriously, we just discussed this.
-Witch Twist is a 4 frame start up move that increases her landing lag (like Aerial ABK), Witch Time can be baited out twice and becomes useless for about 20 seconds, Bat Within allows you to "possibly" escape combos that aren't true. Possible because you can Bat Within BACK into the combo.
-Well she's different from most smash characters, and people don't like to find new ways to punish characters even when the introduction video told you how to punish her.
-Yeah... that's what happens when Top Tiers are introduced. Even with that being said, she didn't even break Top 6. Also, Cloud probably would've done the same if he had a major without Pre-patch Shiek.
-What players does she carry? you know some off the top?

Sounds like you've been watching ZeRo's Video, but missed the ZeRo tweet when he asked the Spanish scene to adapt to Bayonetta. Then after watching the video, you saw 3 people's post, and decided to ignore the other 26 pages of comments where what you've said has been defeated and such. You focus on Bat Within, Witch Time, and Witch Twist, and ignore her bad frame data on normals, rolls and air dodge. Ignore the amount of bad on shield options she does have and the amount of bad OOS she has and go right to 3 things that make her bad. She has better Aerials, but her Bair killing is the thing that everyone is looking for. You should catch up on the pages on this forum so that you can be aware as to what you are saying so you aren't saying another argument that was defeated pages ago.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Sumabato 9 for the last major japanease tourney.
Yeah i know who the player actually were.
I'm aware of the tournament name, yes.

The point I'm trying to get at is that one cannot look at challonge bracket placements solely to make an argument. The names have to be looked at, the matches too considering the contextual claims being made for or against.

It's why the "She never won a major!" argument is equally as bad as the "There was a Bayonetta in a Top 8!" argument. Last page there was someone dissing Wonf vs Leo because Wonf wasn't spamming WT; except good Bayonetta players don't spam WT.

People keep saying 50% combos, 0-to-death combos...but from what I've watched so far, those supposedly inescapable brain dead bnb combos seem to have people escape from them quite a lot, and actually have quite a good amount of variation to them, depending on the player. And, outside of some outliers with other factors to consider, they don't actually seem to kill reasonably until 70+% (that being the percentage before the combo begins; I'm not sure which is typically the norm when percentage is brought up).

In Europe i guess you can say the France/Spain/Swiss.
I was looking for tournament names, actually, to add to the queue of tournament Bayo's to analyze in that link I had above.

My point was to say that the entire argument was stupid. Why people can't just enjoy the game? Why do we need to ban everything?
It's a real shame, I agree.

Like I said, it's seems to be about the perception of the character, not actually about the character herself. And that perception has largely been colored by what top players and content creators have said with little regard to what's actually coming out of their mouths. Add that to the huge amount of hero worship and groupie-think in Smash 4, and we've got our current mess with a character who isn't even the worst Smash 4 has offered to us, let alone all of Smash.

Now it's Bayonetta turn. And i'm affraid when i see this community. Smash 4 is a game that i love. I don't want it to die because people can't enjoy the game because of one character.
It isn't going to die.

Pre-Patched Diddy and 3/4rds of Customs for months in the US did nothing to prevent our growth rates and retention rates. If anything it's what let the scene grow.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
cherrypicking
Cherry Picking : The post.

I literally resumed every argument this community had so far. Not my own opinion. If your TRULY readed what i said. I just said that i'm not in the pro-side or pro-ban side.

ZeRo said HIS opinion. Why do people need to relate to his opinion like a fact each time?

I'm mostly neutral about this. I feel like she need to be nerfed. But banned? HECK NO!
Smash 4 must be the game where the most thing are Banned.

It's why the "She never won a major!" argument is equally as bad as the "There was a Bayonetta in a Top 8!" argument. Last page there was someone dissing Wonf vs Leo because Wonf wasn't spamming WT; except good Bayonetta players don't spam WT.

People keep saying 50% combos, 0-to-death combos...but from what I've watched so far, those supposedly inescapable brain dead bnb combos seem to have people escape from them quite a lot, and actually have quite a good amount of variation to them, depending on the player. And, outside of some outliers with other factors to consider, they don't actually seem to kill reasonably until 70+% (that being the percentage before the combo begins; I'm not sure which is typically the norm when percentage is brought up).

It's a real shame, I agree.

Like I said, it's seems to be about the perception of the character, not actually about the character herself. And that perception has largely been colored by what top players and content creators have said with little regard to what's actually coming out of their mouths. Add that to the huge amount of hero worship and groupie-think in Smash 4, and we've got our current mess with a character who isn't even the worst Smash 4 has offered to us, let alone all of Smash.

It isn't going to die.

Pre-Patched Diddy and 3/4rds of Customs for months in the US did nothing to prevent our growth rates and retention rates. If anything it's what let the scene grow.
Exactly. I'm glad we have the same general point of view. The community need to stop using the buzzword like ''Toxic'' ''5.99''.
I'm okay that you find a character not fun... but do anybody know what bayonetta player feel when they heard that?
Sometime they take it seriously.
Trust me i know. I've seen the Anti-Roy bandwaggon when he was announced as a DLC character ( And god people weren't nice AT ALL) And i played Sonic as my main for a lot of time and i had to suffer a lot of stupid remark

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4eqewt/the_russian_smash_scene_has_banned_bayonetta/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4eo2mx/another_region_just_banned_bayo/

This is what happens when something as nebulous as "community involvement" is used as criteria to ban a character, a stage, or anything in particular. It is a loose set of rules that can be shaped according to the TOs wishes to get what he/she wants out of a situation.

Smaller scenes pushing for bans will undoubtedly put pressure on larger scenes to do the same, so anti-ban people will need to step in their arguments

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
Sumabato 9

Not to downplay this tournament, but was Ranai there? I heard that Ranai beat 9B after he lost tournaments in a long set. I see Komorikiri but he lost Sonic to a Marth player.

I wish this tournament had more footage, but there are 3 Bayonettas in Top 8. Seems like a lot of character diversity we never see here tho. A Pac-Man in top 8. Pit, Corrin, Fox too! Yeah, their scene is developed alot differently than ours.

Cherry Picking : The post.

I literally resumed every argument this community had so far. Not my own opinion. If your TRULY readed what i said. I just said that i'm not in the pro-side or pro-ban side.

ZeRo said HIS opinion. Why do people need to relate to his opinion like a fact each time?

I'm mostly neutral about this. I feel like she need to be nerfed. But banned? HECK NO!
Smash 4 must be the game where the most thing are Banned.
Nah... it's just at this point this forum has addressed the concerns that you have stated. Beefy Smash Doods made a video about how to beat Bayonetta that elaborated on some of the concepts that have resounded within this forum. Apparently you're affected by the bans that have happened and that is unfortunate. I too like Customs on characters and such, but for TO's, they decided that it takes too long and is too much of a hassle. The community at large shows that customs are seen as unfair and does not wish to adapt to the unfairness (in some ways I don't blame them, trip sapling is pretty disgusting lol).

If you read what I said, it seems like you watched ZeRo's video. If you based your argument off of what the community at large thinks, then yes... they have watched ZeRo's video and taken to heart his opinion. And people cling to ZeRo's opinion because "he is da best". I mean if this was 6 years ago and Daigo Umehara said something to the FGC, they'd be all ears and take it as fact. I'm not going to take away from ZeRo's skill, but even in his real opinion, he helped cultivate this "witch hunt" that is the Bayonetta Ban...

Smaller scenes pushing for bans will undoubtedly put pressure on larger scenes to do the same, so anti-ban people will need to step in their arguments
As an Anti-ban person, I don't feel the need to step up my Argument. I love Smash and would like to play with more people, but if people don't want me to play a character as they feel I will have easy wins because of "easy bake" combos. Then I'm not gonna argue, they are doing best for their community. From what I've heard two local scenes have banned Bayonetta where I live at. That's part of the reason I'm reluctant to go. I wanna play Shiek, Zelda, Bayo... but not playing Any of the 3 kinda makes it less fun cause each of them helps me understand a bigger part of the game...

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4eqewt/the_russian_smash_scene_has_banned_bayonetta/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4eo2mx/another_region_just_banned_bayo/

This is what happens when something as nebulous as "community involvement" is used as criteria to ban a character, a stage, or anything in particular. It is a loose set of rules that can be shaped according to the TOs wishes to get what he/she wants out of a situation.

I remember saying once that "Just (S)DI" had become something of a Bayonetta meme the way it was used as a catch-all justification for her issues (even though this is clearly stuff that is being employed better by players as of late).

But I think we can add "toxic" to that list now as well. It's become infuriating to hear that word spouted out so goddamn often.

Last edited:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
From the top post of that thread:

You guys also need to understand that some regions just struggle to make their scene grow.

For my locals scene, for example, tourneys are rare (once two months) and there is 20 participants or so.

[...]

Anyway, each local community needs to attract as many players as possible. How you do that? Making sure that everyone is happy and having a good time. Otherwise the will just go back to Melee or play SFIV. If the majority of the players are whining about Bayonetta, makes perfect sense to ban her.

[...]

Who cares. The (mine) scene is so small that they cant even reach a good place at nationals. So just let people enjoy Smash.
This particular example is a video game club that meets twice a month and currently plays some Smash instead of, apparently, what most people there actually want to play. It's sort of like taking what a random high school's (which, in my experience, typically has a larger entrant pool) rule list is and giving it the same weight as G3 or EVO's.

I'd like to hope that larger TOs would be able to see that casual gaming clubs deciding on odd rules don't really have anything to do with the competitive scene. Else you run into a problem when the next game comes out and identical accusations are given to the next Diddy, Luigi, Sheik, Rosa, Sonic, Metaknight, Jiggs, etc, etc, etc.

EDIT: Apparently that was just someone else talking about their scene in the comments; I thought they were the same person before I started reading more of the thread. The link I quoted is for a twitter message from someone who doesn't even play Smash 4 and apparently spends a good deal of his time trolling it. Maybe he's salty because apparently he's former PM dev team?

Regardless, apparently it's simply been put to a community vote, with a massive "Don't Ban" lead.

But I think we can add "toxic" to that list now as well. It's become infuriating.
It was infuriating to begin with when it was being thrown around as an alternative to "jank" as a non-descriptor to call everything one doesn't like. ZeRo constantly throwing the word out at both the character and the players who use her, along with many of the things that have also been repeated ad nausea to meme-like levels, seem to have come about or made it's reappearance due to that stupid video, unfortunately.

It's simple parroting.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the argument is "you're going to get laughed out by people like EVO TOs, and japan will just roll through you because they don't care". this happened in brawl, people banned MK and the rest of the world just made those people irrelevant. if regions want to make sure they never accomplish anything, then they can play their own homebrew rules while the major tournaments play the only universal rules that matter

Delta Chae

The Observer
iWitch Twist Travels Vertical but ejects the opponent Horizontal, dABK launches opponents vertical and ABK sends the opponent horizontal but with a slight vertical knockback. Her combos have been proven to be DI'able and SDI'able in more recent matches showcasing the character. MK (pre-patch) had a vertical ladder combo that killed off the top. Bayonetta's dABK pops them up vertically but you can DI this.
It seems this particular part of the discussion is going absolutely no where. You're going to say that her combos can be DIed and then myself or someone will just say that she can react to your DI.

iHer neutral isn't Ganon bad, But she is a Bait and Punish character at core. She lacks frame data on her normals, rolls and spot dodge. She barely has combos out of shield and such. Her OOS options are limited compared to other top tier peer, Sheik. She has Witch Twist and Witch Time OOS. Average walk and run speed. Her air Mobility is great, but she is a character designed around the opponent making mistakes or doing not-true-combos. Aerial Side-B is safe on shield, Grounded is not safe. Her defensive options are Witch Twist, Bat Within, Witch Time. Once bayonetta is in her shield, it's an uphill battle from there because of her poor OOS options. She lacks the moves to pose a threat and disrupt neutral say like Lucas PK fire, Needles, Lasers, Missles, Lloyd Rocket...

And Bayonetta gets increased (serious) landing lag from using her Aerial Specials. If your question is "who would use witch twist or dABK in the air?" then you don't understand how Bayonetta works.
And yet we don't see any of this having a significant impact on how players approach neutral against her. Why is that? Perhaps it's because she is capable of netting a high amount of damage and possibly even a stock off of a countered jab. I don't care what your opinion of her as a character is, if you think being able to net a huge amount of damage or a kill off of a countered jab makes for a balanced character then you don't know anything about game balance.

As for attacks being used after aerial specials. I was referring to the neutral game, not an advantaged state. Of course you're going to do that when comboing the opponent since that's the whole point but doing it in the neutral or in a disadvantaged state would be stupid.

Results at locals? Well yeah, people don't really understand how to fight her. She is a top tier bait and punish character that has different weaknesses that have to be attacked than just force into shield with normals then punish with grab game. You do predicable stuff, you get punished for being predictable. She'll probably have better results because you have Bayo players pushing her meta. But there is only so much optimization that comes with a bait and punish character. And as far as top players go, she has bad frame data. She comes off as a really defensive character in that aspect... wait... defensive character... like Rosalina... wait... Dabuz plays Bayonetta in doubles. So when you speak of others know why they aren't playing her, and know it's not all cause of the controversy of "she's too strong".
You any many others keep saying to just force her into shield and then grab her. Here's the problem with that: grabs do not lead into much in this game and therein lies the problem. The consequences for losing neutral for her are not nearly as bad as for the opponent. With Fox in Melee he has amazing tools in neutral and a killer combo game that can also potentially kill off of one mistake. The difference between Fox and Bayonetta is that Fox has extremely difficult execution making his neutral very easy to screw up and if you screw up his neutral you will eat a huge punish because of Melee's physics and punish game being much more suited to that kind of thing. Not so with Bayonetta which admittedly has more to do with the physics than with her as a character but does not make it any less skewed in her favor.

but you are correct on one thing, no character has achieved these kinds of results and caused so much controversy. Like a character you can't just Fair to death being used against a community in a meta where most strings are secretly frame traps and not true strings. She's so unfair that she punishes my non-true strings and is the only character I can't use my flowchart combo and frame traps against. Forget baiting out Witch Time twice so it's garbage for 20 seconds, forget Bayonetta is new and people won't think to punish her Landing Lag, Bayonetta is causing so much disruption because the combo I learned on youtube that isn't true is getting punished. She hasn't won a major (yet) and a lot of players are taking advantage of the fact that she's different, but she's unfair and that must be a problem since she's winning locals but getting beat at majors.

If you excuse me, I'm going pick up a real character like MewTwo and go win a Major, because Nair > Footstool > Disable > Smash is ok, but Witch Time and Witch Twist needs to be burned at the stake...
I think you are severely overestimating how often good players actually get baited into throwing out punishable moves. People that are actually good know their data and what moves are safe and which ones aren't. Also she isn't really getting beat at majors so much as she's not getting played at majors (At least as far as the top players are concerned) because top players refuse to use her out principle. Though admittedly this is counter-intuitive as far as proving that she is a problem goes. That being said I do not think that the main problem at this point is how powerful she is but rather that she is causing people to not have fun when playing the game and people are quitting as result. It's not a matter of just not knowing the matchup but people actively do not enjoy and even hate playing the Bayonetta MU. Before you say anything: yes it's possible to not be well versed in a matchup and not actively hate it. I'm not very good against Falcon or in the Marth ditto in Melee but I do not actively dread these matchups like many people do with Bayonetta and this is where the problem stems from: people just don't thinking playing against her is fun.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Funny how after Spain "considered" a ban, the floodgates were opened. I'm afraid that some TOs won't see the difference between the Russia ban and here in the US.

smh.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I was looking at the Beefy Smash Doods video on Bayonetta again, and the responses to the video on YouTube, reddit, and elsewhere. In the video, the majority of the guide is based around establishing the mindset you need to fight Bayonetta. You have to be hyper aware that throwing out moves willy nilly WILL get you severely punished, that she has holes in her neutral. Essentially, you have to exploit the endlag on her moves/defensive techniques, and pose enough of a threat that you force the Bayonetta to use the wrong, punishable option. Beefy Smash Doods are trying to convey the power of a patient and defensive mindset that does not simply "camp," or run away scared, but tries to engage with Bayonetta opponents in a game of wits.

However, when looking at some of the top comments, people don't want solutions that come from outside the game, so to speak. They want "techniques." They want "tricks." They want to know, "When Bayonetta does this and that, you do that and this," so as to negate her massive reward and somehow make it "fair." The solutions presented by BSD are all much less concrete because they have to be. When DI-ing Bayonetta's juggles, she can predict your DI and counter it. THAT'S THE POINT. You're engaging with her in a predictive battle where she has the edge (because she hit you in the first place), and while her reward is probably too high for her risk at the moment, it emphasizes having to fight the player as much as the character.

Incidentally, I think that Jigglypuff might not be so bad against Bayonetta, not simply because of those crazy Rest videos people have been posting but because of what they represent: Bayonetta's weaknesses include laggy defensive options, slow startup on a number of her attacks, being tall, and accruing landing lag after doing too many special moves in the air. All of these leave her briefly vulnerable, and what's a better punish than Rest? Jigglypuff also has the aerial speed to keep up with her (or retreat), and while she has no massive throw combos, her throws in and of themselves are pretty decent in terms of pure damage,especially in conjunction with a really good pummel.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
people seem to confuse "she's a top tier" for "she's a top tier, ergo ban forever". a character does not have to simply be a simple top tier to justify this argument, and allowing such a conversation to happen for as long as it has doesn't bode well when it comes to the players within these scenes.

she has fairly notable coverage in top tournaments, perhaps even moreso than other characters. indeed, she's likely the best character in the game. yes, and? is that all? a large majority of melee is all covered by the same miserable little anthropomorphic creature, but just because I instictively hate him and his horrid little metal legs doesn't ever excuse that, when I play melee in a tournament, I should be expected to deal with him. to not be willing to do whatever it takes to win within the ruleset ignores that I'm in a tournament based entirely around playing with the intent of winning.

"deal with it" should always be your first response, and if it isn't, that's not a game's issue, that's a personal issue

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
ESAM is going straight up ham on Twitter right now about the whole "ban Bayonetta" sentiment. Talking 2009 Heel-SAM levels here. Too much to copy but some things he's saying would probably make ANTi blush.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yea that's a pretty accurate description.
You really need to have some self awareness.
It takes some kind of skill to reply seriously to the joke part of a post while simultaneously ignoring the serious part. Not the skill that fits in a civil debate, but still.

Buddhahobo Buddhahobo I salute your initiative and if you want to know about the Bayonetta situation in France you can refer to the French PR (image and article) and look at the results of the last 2 french majors : CWC2016 and MARS2016. If you want more info on the french scene just pm me.

Incidentally, I think that Jigglypuff might not be so bad against Bayonetta, not simply because of those crazy Rest videos people have been posting but because of what they represent: Bayonetta's weaknesses include laggy defensive options, slow startup on a number of her attacks, being tall, and accruing landing lag after doing too many special moves in the air. All of these leave her briefly vulnerable, and what's a better punish than Rest? Jigglypuff also has the aerial speed to keep up with her (or retreat), and while she has no massive throw combos, her throws in and of themselves are pretty decent in terms of pure damage,especially in conjunction with a really good pummel.
Yeah except Jiggs' playstyle gets crippled by Bayo's disjointed attacks (especially ABK and Witch Twist) and extended Nair. This matchup will probably tend to 50-50 (it's always helpful to prevent Bayonetta from ladder comboing you) but Jiggs definitely isn't a Bayo counter like most people claim.

Last edited:

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
It seems this particular part of the discussion is going absolutely no where. You're going to say that her combos can be DIed and then myself or someone will just say that she can react to your DI.
But you disregarded the first sentence when you Quoted my post where she sends you Horizontal, right? And her "reacting" to your DI isn't a thing because her attacks have to more or less be buffered unless you want the opponent to get out of your combo. 6 frames of input lag + 12 frames (average) is the time they have to DI, You have to wait and read your opponent and by time then they've DI'd out your combo. Take her to the lab and make a "true combo" out of the ladder chain. You'll find out that her ladder combo isn't true and people can escape if Bayonetta has to "react" to DI. In fact, certain combinations of the Ladder if you DI properly.

But to your point, Her knockback is Horizontal and isn't affected like Falco's Vertical KB. That was the point of that paragraph that I was addressing. the only thing that sends you Vertical is her dABK but once again, that's 2 of the 4 moves that are needed to send you over the top.

And yet we don't see any of this having a significant impact on how players approach neutral against her. Why is that? Perhaps it's because she is capable of netting a high amount of damage and possibly even a stock off of a countered jab. I don't care what your opinion of her as a character is, if you think being able to net a huge amount of damage or a kill off of a countered jab makes for a balanced character then you don't know anything about game balance.

As for attacks being used after aerial specials. I was referring to the neutral game, not an advantaged state. Of course you're going to do that when comboing the opponent since that's the whole point but doing it in the neutral or in a disadvantaged state would be stupid.
You missed the point again. What does a counter need to activate? Two players to interact correct? Bayonetta has an established punish game correct? So if you are being predictable, she is going to punish you. Once again, if she makes a read on your Jab (the only other way is to take a wild guess) then you get punished. But Bayonetta players aren't going to just throw out Witch Time because the Decay is too great. You use Witch Time twice and it's gone for about 20 seconds, because using it after that is practically useless because the slow down isn't worth it. Which is why the option here is to bait it out. But since you don't understand how Witch Time works besides slowing down the opponent, then i think you need more research as to how the character works.

Also, you don't know how Bayonetta works or you'd know her Aerial Specials give her the great Aerial Mobility i'm speaking of. and that is Apart of her Neutral Game.

You any many others keep saying to just force her into shield and then grab her. Here's the problem with that: grabs do not lead into much in this game and therein lies the problem. The consequences for losing neutral for her are not nearly as bad as for the opponent. With Fox in Melee he has amazing tools in neutral and a killer combo game that can also potentially kill off of one mistake. The difference between Fox and Bayonetta is that Fox has extremely difficult execution making his neutral very easy to screw up and if you screw up his neutral you will eat a huge punish because of Melee's physics and punish game being much more suited to that kind of thing. Not so with Bayonetta which admittedly has more to do with the physics than with her as a character but does not make it any less skewed in her favor.
Grabs don't lead into much in this game? Bowser and DK would like to have a word with you. The consequences for her losing neutral aren't bad because she's a character that thrives off punishing mistakes, not rushdown. if you play Bayonetta like Sheik or Fox, you will get trounced on. The Difference between Fox and Bayonetta is that Bayonetta doesn't have a Shine, can't Wavedash, has poor frame data. Her shining points are Witch Twist and Witch Time. But we won't address the Bad frame data on Normals, Rolls or dodges correct?

I think you are severely overestimating how often good players actually get baited into throwing out punishable moves. People that are actually good know their data and what moves are safe and which ones aren't. Also she isn't really getting beat at majors so much as she's not getting played at majors (At least as far as the top players are concerned) because top players refuse to use her out principle. Though admittedly this is counter-intuitive as far as proving that she is a problem goes. That being said I do not think that the main problem at this point is how powerful she is but rather that she is causing people to not have fun when playing the game and people are quitting as result. It's not a matter of just not knowing the matchup but people actively do not enjoy and even hate playing the Bayonetta MU. Before you say anything: yes it's possible to not be well versed in a matchup and not actively hate it. I'm not very good against Falcon or in the Marth ditto in Melee but I do not actively dread these matchups like many people do with Bayonetta and this is where the problem stems from: people just don't thinking playing against her is fun.
Well... seeing how most people play with characters with pretty good frame data, or a puppet character, then I don't think I'm overestimating how good players get baited. because if that's the case, then Bayonetta would do alot worst because her entire playstyle revolves around Baiting and Punishing. If you rush into Bayonetta, you will eat a combo for your trouble, that is the way she's designed. If there was a character like her in Melee, it would turn the Melee Meta on it's head because you cannot use Frame Traps against her willy nilly. People don't think playing against her is fun, once again, because she destroys flowchart play. Bayonetta trounces people who don't use true combos or use the same option repeatedly. Mang0 said it best about Mew2King that "Mew2King" always chooses the best option, therefore he knows how to Punish Mew2King because he knows what move is next. That is how Witch Time works, that is how Bat Within can turn the tide in combos. Bayonetta enforces not doing the same thing like a Flowchart.

And she is the 3rd most played character, and Dabuz plays her in Doubles (that's all i know of the top players so far).

Yeah, you need to go do some Bayonetta research yourself. Go play the character and we can continue this conversation after you know what Bayonetta can do, not what the community at large tells you she can do...

HimaBook

Smash Cadet
Many people say "freefall after Up-special will break her concept as combo character". About this,I have an idea. Up-special should be changed to "if it hits, bayo can do next move.If it doesn't hit, bayo go on to freefall". This doesn't break her combo at all. But is this change possible in ssb4 game system? It's yes because Ike's side-special have this property.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Mew2King's reddit comment on the post that says Bayonetta is being banned in Russia:

"I think the best possible outcome is to make sure people like Nintendo (their balance team) see this (and all the other places that ban her), so they can just balance patch her. That should be the #1 goal of everybody, in my opinion. Ideal outcome for everybody. Working towards that somehow is what I recommend should happen. That way, no regions will want to ban her, and Bayo mains will be content too probably. She's op, but, also a cool character, in my opinion, and it's better to just patch her than for parts of the smash community to split. Region(s?) in midwest of USA, Spain, Russia I know all ban her currently.

The Like to Dislike ratio on this video (Grand finals of Ryo vs Riot, a prior DK main who just picked up Bayonetta and beat me and Ryo 3-1 in all 3 sets in the top 3 of last MVG weekly Smash Conference) shows how much people overall enjoy how good she currently is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9w_uHgNnms

(I will make more videos in the future, talking about smash things)

That person himself, Riot, thinks the character is way too strong and simple. He said this over the weekend, and he uses her to win. He performs much better now than before when he was DK (obviously, but a big difference also).

Combos/matches like this will happen more as time goes on, due to her toolkit of moves:http://oddshot.tv/shot/hysranai-2016040511543338

By the way, unrelated, but I think 9b has a cloud weakness. I struggle more vs Salem/Riot/Saj's bayonettas, even though 9b is overall better than them. I personally think it's cloud's worst MU or one of his worst. Example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQ7HvMv_3w . Another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve8g56aJoDU , Salem (and Saj, who is still learning her) is capable of playing a lot better than that also at his best, as he JV 3 me in 1 friendly before I faced 9b at Shots Fired 2. Salem taught me (and straight up TOLD me directly) that you can death combo even if I DI away/properly, as long as he reads me or reacts fast. Most people do not do that. I wish I saved the replay of the JV 3 (was actually 2 stock 2% but he took magnifier damage). It was from 2 ground launchers from neutral stance. Outplayed 2 times in neutral in that game in total, from center stage on the ground of smashville.

Up B, Up throw (to UpB), Side B with no kick, SideB kick, aerial SideB upwards, aerial SideB downwards, Down tilt, up tilt, short hop Fair 1, Uair (sometimes), and witch time. If Bayonetta lands any of these 11 moves, she can convert it into a death combo a LOT of the time, as long as she does not mess up the execution. (When you survive, you are often in a very bad position, usually after taking 40-50%). I am told from people to "just smash DI", but it is much easier said than done, especially consistently. Many times there is nothing you can do at all (I say this from experience playing against many bayonetta players).

A change in her upB would help, since all death combos involve this move. Just one idea. She would remain top tier, but become worse."

Listen to the pros. If someone like M2K is saying this, we have a problem.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
M2K is the biggest whiner on the planet, of course he'd want a character nerfed. He probably wants every single character besides Cloud nerfed, and Cloud buffed, and would support any sort of movement that tried to achieve that.

Like he was ecstatic when Pit/Mewtwo got nerfed in PM cos they were broken, then cried on reddit as soon as Fox got nerfed in PM because he was also broken lol.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
M2K once publicly argued, against the actual PM developers as well as ppl who had the frame data, that PM link's grab (you know, the cruddy hookshot grab) was one of the fastest grabs in the game

he does this with everything from melee jigglypuff to anyone that metaknight didn't destroy in brawl, note biases when forming your own opinion and whatnot

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Listen to the pros. If someone like M2K is saying this said:
I would be more skeptical of Mew2king opinions considering he thought prepatch :4diddy: was fine, and that :falcomelee: is better than :foxmelee:, in melee, and not even talk about his opinion on the balance of project M.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Maybe if someone could actually give a counter-argument to what M2K said in that specific post, I would agree. "M2K has oddball opinions"--so if he has oddball opinions, then I'm sure you could easily disprove his specific opinions on Bayonetta.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
It's not like he's completely wrong at the end. :) A lot of his points are pretty valid.
from a balancing perspective, honestly he's pretty on-point, yes, but... that's not really the issue, it's the moral argument behind it. nobody argued this hard when sheik was the guaranteed top tier. for god's sake, any mention of banning diddy kong was laughed off IMMEDIATELY, and he was an actual problem that, with the benefit of hindsight, totally could've been banned had he stuck around for another year. why, suddenly, do we need this conversation so early into her existence when she isn't even particularly good enough for everyone to argue her #1 spot?

that's theoretical, obviously. it's because players viewers haven't noticed before know how to use that character, and her design lets her shut down low-to-mid levels of play without much effort. this doesn't mean much for overall balance, because actual balance assumes "these are two top players of equal skill, they pick different characters, what happens now".

ESAM has said what I want to say here on twitter, but with far more shoutywords; at its core, we should not be begging the developer of a game to adapt for us. that isn't a good look, no matter how you twist it

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yes I do, because that's not "pros", that's one single pro with a history of heavy bias against anything that isn't what he plays, being heavily confirmed by a swarm of low-level players, that other pro players are smacking down.

if leffen told you tomorrow that kirby is actually the best character in melee, would we try to actually discuss whether or not that's an outlier opinion, or do we just mindlessly put him above fox without ever giving it any thought?

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Maybe if someone could actually give a counter-argument to what M2K said in that specific post, I would agree. "M2K has oddball opinions"--so if he has oddball opinions, then I'm sure you could easily disprove his specific opinions on Bayonetta.
There's nothing to counter, it's just all his opinion (which we're telling you holds no weight) or completely unsubstantiated claims.

It's like trying to disprove that there are invisible unicorns, until someone actually presents a 0 > death combo, and people actually lab DI for it and can't figure out how to avoid it, no argument needs to be made. There's nothing actually being presented to be disproved.

Its always funny to see scrubs ****ting on pro's opinions on smashboards. I'm sure you know much better than m2k and understand balance much better.
M2K is not a pro smash 4 player
And pro players are not exempt from having bad opinions.
Not to mention that there are various players of demonstrably higher skill level than M2K who are on the pro-bayo side lmao.

Last edited:

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
Many people say "freefall after Up-special will break her concept as combo character". About this,I have an idea. Up-special should be changed to "if it hits, bayo can do next move.If it doesn't hit, bayo go on to freefall". This doesn't break her combo at all. But is this change possible in ssb4 game system? It's yes because Ike's side-special have this property.
The only problem is that this wouldn't solve the "ladder problem", in fact it would make it so her recovery is on par with little mac... vertical wise.

I agree with Esam's sentiments on this and actually would like to see people get better in the Match Up. playing Rushdown is a way of life in Smash Meta and adapting to a turtling character that combines some of the best concepts of Rosa (Defensive Play) and ZSS (Punish Game) is a tough pill to swallow.

And only problem I have with M2K in this regard is that on a moral standpoint, I feel everyone who played Brawl MK to win shouldn't really have much of a say here. Since using Meta Knight contributed to the downfall of Brawl. but this is my opinion on the matter.

No level of Learn the Match-Up will heal the hurt that has transpired over these 2 months. People have watched videos but it seems very few have picked up Bayonetta to learn the tools. They Patched her witch time and (already terrible) Smash attacks. The only thing i can see they do to fix her without breaking her is increase the SDI multiplier. But to note, when the matchup is played correctly, then people live for a very long time against Bayonetta...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
people seem to confuse "she's a top tier" for "she's a top tier, ergo ban forever". a character does not have to simply be a simple top tier to justify this argument, and allowing such a conversation to happen for as long as it has doesn't bode well when it comes to the players within these scenes.

she has fairly notable coverage in top tournaments, perhaps even moreso than other characters. indeed, she's likely the best character in the game. yes, and? is that all? a large majority of melee is all covered by the same miserable little anthropomorphic creature, but just because I instictively hate him and his horrid little metal legs doesn't ever excuse that, when I play melee in a tournament, I should be expected to deal with him. to not be willing to do whatever it takes to win within the ruleset ignores that I'm in a tournament based entirely around playing with the intent of winning.

"deal with it" should always be your first response, and if it isn't, that's not a game's issue, that's a personal issue
Even if I do not agree to banning her.

I do think her stigma is concern if hatred for her causes people to quit in droves or she is winning everything. Neither of which have been proven to be true.

Her hatred is mostly around, "She can kill you at 0" and "she is insanely easy to pick up"

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the issue is inherently that neither of those are actually problems when concerning people here with the intent of winning--and if you're not in a tourament setting so you can play to win, idk why you would then say you want a ruleset built around a play-to-win tournament format to bend to your need.

nearly every game has a character like bayonetta. someone really easy to play with, still greatly viable at the highest of levels, and punishes well? that's third strike chun-li, that's SF4AE2012 cammy, that's MvC2 cable. the only reason it's an argument now is mostly because it's associated with a brand new game, that a lot of players new to competitive tournaments haven't really seen before.

there's too many top players currently 100% against a ban for this to ever go through; best case scenario, some regions try a ban, and then top regions like east coast just proceed to catch all the majors with her unbanned, repeating the cycle that brawl tried (albeit with a far more grey-area character, but comparison still works). what's actually going to be worrying is how everyone else reacts, because it's fairly clear that a lot of players aren't too used to the "shut up and get good" mentality that powers fighting games as a whole, that might result in a lot of the large numbers for s4 suddenly disappearing, and even if I'm not directly involved, I prefer it when scenes aren't barren and cold

Ezowolf

Smash Rookie
It's insane how quickly just one new character can really drive out the worst in a fighting game community. The most toxic thing about Bayonetta is all the straight down childish, cringeworthy and terrible behavior of the extremes in both the pro- and anti- Bayonetta ban camp.

Something i don't think the pro-Bayonetta people who don't get the hate really realise enough is that, even though the best players in the world can play against her, and yeah at top level she might not even be the best, but she completely dominates low-to-mid levels of tournament play without requiring too much skill. The thing is, most of the people visiting Smashboards, watching matches on Youtube are people who have a low-to-mid skill level, thus its why most pro players are OK with her yet it seems everyone on this or other sites hate her and think she's too strong.

The interesting question here is how the developers should balance the game. If you should balance the game for top players only, yeah Bayonetta is pretty much fine as is. But if you'd take all skill levels in consideration she's way too strong. I think the question we should ask with Bayonetta is who Smash 4 should be balanced for: balanced with the highest level of play in mind, or trying to balance it for every level of play as much as possible?

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
Well seeing that her effectiveness goes down in FFA's, then no. Certain members of the cast become less viable and some become more viables as you venture into the other game modes that Smash has to offer. What is good in 1v1 isn't necessarily as good in 2v2 or FFA with/without items. Take this into account when thinking about balance for the game...

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Smash 4 should be balanced for: balanced with the highest level of play in mind, or trying to balance it for every level of play as much as possible
What do you think Sakurai would do? He'd try to balance it for every level of play. However, Bandai Namco might be different, considering what we got with 1.1.5 (Shiek)

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
"people keep strawmanning people who hate bayo as supid and whiny people"
"people keep mindlessly droning about bayo being broken and bayo did nothing wrong"
Like:rosalina:freaking:4diddy:Damn:4mii:Clockwork:4sheik:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
This past couple of pages have just been filled with passive aggressiveness, people comparing 2 totally different things together, people saying things with no evidence, and piggy backing pros statements to support their weak arguments lol. If a scene wants to ban a character for whatever petty reason they may have then whatever. I highly doubt there will ever be a universal ban on Bayonetta.

Can't bring myself to read paragraphs that have no backbone anymore. Just people saying constantly saying "but she's making people quit" yet they show actual numbers of attendance dropping lol.

Last edited:

Delta Chae

The Observer
This past couple of pages have just been filled with passive aggressiveness, people comparing 2 totally different things together, people saying things with no evidence, and piggy backing pros statements to support their weak arguments lol. If a scene wants to ban a character for whatever petty reason they may have then whatever. I highly doubt there will ever be a universal ban on Bayonetta.

Can't bring myself to read paragraphs that have no backbone anymore. Just people saying constantly saying "but she's making people quit" yet they show actual numbers of attendance dropping lol.
The problem with some regions instating a ban and some not is that it creates completely different metagames from region to region. This is why Bayonetta is not good for the competitive life of the game as it stands right now. You can argue all day about whether or not she's broken but at the end of the day if her presence continues to divide the community like this, that's the beginning of the end for Smash 4 as a competitive title. I personally think she isn't broken but I also think she needs to be toned down to more reasonable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom