• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Also, please include my name in the thank you letter as well! It's been an absolutely wild ride with you Banjobros and I'd love to be apart of it's conclusion.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Not sure if this was shared yet.
Most surprising part to me was apparently Japan loves seeing Western reactions.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not sure if this was shared yet.
Most surprising part to me was apparently Japan loves seeing Western reactions.
You know what's the worst part about this? If other pre-DQ8 games had been better marketed here, we would all be singing a very different tune...

Hero would have flat out gotten the same reception Cloud did.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
You know what's the worst part about this? If other pre-DQ8 games had been better marketed here, we would all be singing a very different tune...

Kind of relevant, I remember reading that a lot Japanese fans were confused by the inclusion of Little Mac and the general Western enthusiasm for him. Punch-Out just isn't a big deal over there. I was reminded of that reading a lot of Hero reactions.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

I don't think DQ11 had much of a marketing campaign in the west, frankly. 11 looks like it might have one on Switch, but I'm not sure. It's a shame that people don't understand the important of Dragon Quest.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 227695 LOL I love this picture XD even tho we may get a steve mii costume with I would welcome
I've been playing with this Mii Swordighter a little after the ugly Steve meme came around, about a month or two I suppose and uploaded it after the 3.0 patch came out. I made this in good fun with no malicious intent towards the real Steve fans, and also it just to see if I could pull off making his face.

Steve Meme Mii.jpg

I agree that there's a good chance Steve might be picked as a Sworfighter if the Mii Costume theme is Microsoft IPS as a whole. If not I could see Mumbo being a swordfighter instead. Or you know, we could just get both of them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kind of relevant, I remember reading that a lot Japanese fans were confused by the inclusion of Little Mac and the general Western enthusiasm for him. Punch-Out just isn't a big deal over there. I was reminded of that reading a lot of Hero reactions.
It goes to show, when it comes to japanese reception factoring into any character inclusion...

1477681347426.png

Weird we haven't hear anything about hitagi and xenother since this weeks aren't The so called leakers who denied banjo are legits?
They most likely dropped off the face of the Earth to avoid the shame of having to face the wrath of the people they tried to fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtSaG3foi8

Note: I unironically advocate for Heavy in Smash,

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think DQ11 had much of a marketing campaign in the west, frankly. 11 looks like it might have one on Switch, but I'm not sure. It's a shame that people don't understand the important of Dragon Quest.
That is kind of the point. DQ11 might not have a humongous marketing campaign, but it has one. Most people remember campaigns for FF, Zelda, Smash and many other big names of today, but not DQ. Because most people can't even find the western marketing for the older games. And since the window to hook people at the beginning of the series has been missed, SE would need to put a lot of effort to expand their audience.

I think it depends on where in the west you are, but over where I live, DQ was mostly seen as a niche JRPG series. A lot of people fail to realize that the reason DQ "looks like a generic JRPG" is because back when it began it was the JRPG.

Keep in mind, all of this is coming from someone who never played DQ, but got to know the series better over the course of the last few months. Take it with a grain of salt, if you will.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'd like to know what background color Banjo uses on the Smash site. If its yellow or blue, that fits into my baseless yet tax exempt rainbow theory for DLC:

Red: Joker
Yellow: Banjo
Green: Plant
Purple: THE Hero

Leaving orange and blue.

So.....Crash and Geno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Back in ye olden days, marketing to DQ in the West was largely limited to Nintendo Power, in an age when the Internet didn't exist. DQ did fairly well among NP readers, at the least. Also, Dai's Adventure had an older renamed French manga release.

But after 4 it tapered off when games stopped being exported until DQ8 came along (DQ7 and other games had come out in the meantime, but didn't leave much of an impact), and series popularity in various parts of the West fluctuated up and down since then. Compared to the head-explodingly popular Final Fantasy.

Hero's inclusion and the recent marketing campaign is the biggest gambit that's been pulled off to date.

Sweet, I'm getting on this.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Cool, thank you.

So, uh, should I put username in there, or my actual name? Dumb question, but just in case...
I don’t think it matters but you should probably use your real name imo so Nintendo/Rare/Microsoft can acknowledge you as a person who’s happy about their inclusion instead of some rando on the Internet.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Officially one day of Banjo-Kazooie confirmation! How are we all feeling? :D
My face was sore from smiling and grinning all day yesterday, But it's probably gonna feel like that the rest of the week, Went through the same thing with King K. Rool too last year.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey banjo fans.

Today we are doing the satisfaction ratings for banjo and hero in the state Their Chances thread in Newcomer speculation. Come by and give your opinions.

Just make sure to give at least two sentences of reasoning per score.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'd like to know what background color Banjo uses on the Smash site. If its yellow or blue, that fits into my baseless yet tax exempt rainbow theory for DLC:

Leaving orange and blue.

So.....Crash and Geno.
The stinger for the DLC uses yellow, so I think the site would use the same.

Speaking of which, since it may be a while before Banjo & Kazooie's page goes up, I had to recreate the type of tiles the site uses with their render to update my wallpaper.

Smashboards Background.png

EDIT: Forgot to include link to DLC ad.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Leaving orange and blue.

So.....Crash and Geno.
Interesting theory....

Blue- Phoenix Wright, Geno, Ryu Habuysa
Orange- Crash, Rayman, Tracer, Agumon

Those are all I can think of that involve those colors.

Folt

Smash Ace
Not sure if this has been discussed here yet but it looks like they are making Gruntilda into a game boss which is super exciting. Its the same thing with what happened with Simon Belmont where it looks like the same stage however under closer inspection their is only one character and a bridge that wasn't present on the original rotating stage.
Not to be a downer, but the Mumbo Jumboscreenshot shows him standing around the bridge part. It's possible that Spiral Mountain is a moving stage, and on another photo, you can see two floating platforms on the opposite ends of it.

It doesn't rule out the possibility though. (Personally, I'd like it if Banjo fought Bayonetta, then Master Hand, to the tune of Grunty Battle, then 64 Final Destination as their boss battle though.)

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

Leaving orange and blue.

So.....Crash and Geno.
whats the logic behind the colors orange and blue?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Interesting theory....

Blue- Phoenix Wright, Geno, Ryu Habuysa
Orange- Crash, Rayman, Tracer, Agumon

Those are all I can think of that involve those colors.
I think Rayman is more associated with purple than orange.

Technically, these aren't the only colors you could pick (rainbow aside). Nothing says a RE character couldn't use, say, gray. Or, say, Professor Layton with a shade of brown.

Though if I absolutely had to guess with only these two colors, I'd say Phoenix for blue and then either Heihachi or Agumon for orange.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
What a wild 24 hours! I might be less expressive than most people, but I may have shed a few tears of ecstasy seeing Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash, and even now I find myself re-watching the trailer in disbelief that this is really happening.

I gotta say, while Banjo & Kazooie are looking great, that Spiral Mountain stage is something else! It's kind of funny to think that Grant Kirkhope pointed out in an interview that he was never told what their stage would be and just so happened to choose Spiral Mountain's theme to remix. Weird how things work out like that!

Also added myself to the letter, of course.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the time Geno comes out, the house will have been completely demolished! XD
I'm amazed that K. Rool had enough of a truce to leave it standing in the first place. :awesome:

LOL, that does bring up the question.
Who would fake as Geno?
Or Dixie Kong for that matter?
Good question. Though I think the pattern works best with Rare-related characters, so methinks a Kong would be next.

For Dixie, I'll take a shot in the dark and say...:ultinkling:.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Just signed. The letter itself brought tears to my eyes again as well. It's just a great couple days to be a Banjo-Kazooie fan and I hope they realize exactly how much of a good thing they've done by putting them in. There are so many other financial based moves they could have went for but to cater to the nostalgia of a slightly older crowd is a really great thing. (Not that Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't appear to younger audiences of course!)

Top Bottom