• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If it reassures you in any way, I think both Microsoft and Nintendo would realize making Banjo a Mii Costume would be a mistake. Phil Spencer himself saw all the praise for Banjo, why else would he randomly answer a question about Banjo getting into Smash? Sakurai is also aware of Banjo's popularity, almost being added to Melee. Since Sakurai couldn't put him in before thanks to the Microsoft buyout, I don't think Sakurai would miss his chance to put him in again. To me, that's just not Sakurai. If he sees a chance to create something fun and unique, especially if it's potentially a limited opportunity, he's gonna jump at it.
I hope so. Sakurai has proven in the past that he's not a stranger to making big time fan favorites into anything but fighters. With the big N and MS being so buddy buddy, I hope he sees this could be a once and a life time opportunity. From what I understand, there are 3 entities that need to be on the same page for this to happen.

MS (Phil)
Nintendo higher ups
Sakurai

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
LootCrate is nostalgic like that though
The timing just seems kind of perfect, Microsoft is supposed to be announcing all their Nintendo Switch stuff at the end of the month. So having this month include Banjo-Kazooie merch seems like it is trying to get the name out there again. I don't know how popular Loot Crate unboxing videos still are but. No denying that would be a good marketing push before a major announcement.

Last edited:
I don't want to go all conspiracy here but. Fallout, Sonic, and Megaman are all franchises that are still extremely relevant. And then there is Banjo-Kazooie that sticks out like a sore thumb.
View attachment 195317
Yeah this is very suspicious indeed. Banjo’s 20th is over. There’s no reason for them to really be in the spotlight anymore unless there were plans for the series

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I hope so. Sakurai has proven in the past that he's not a stranger to making big time fan favorites into anything but fighters. With the big N and MS being so buddy buddy, I hope he sees this could be a once and a life time opportunity. From what I understand, there are 3 entities that need to be on the same page for this to happen.

MS (Phil)
Nintendo higher ups
Sakurai
Didn't Miamoto praise BK for its innovation to the 3d platform genre and basically put it above Mario 64? I can't find the quote but I know its there.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
To anyone who is starting to have doubts about Banjo:

"I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no problem." - Phil Spencer, Smash 4 speculation days

I'm pretty sure Phil is referring to Ultimate's DLC when he says "next", because obviously there would not have been time to include Banjo in Smash by the time of his tweet in April 2015. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta was already being worked on then, as people have discovered with the datamines.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
To anyone who is starting to have doubts about Banjo:

"I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no problem." - Phil Spencer, Smash 4 speculation days

I'm pretty sure Phil is referring to Ultimate's DLC when he says "next", because obviously there would not have been time to include Banjo in Smash by the time of his tweet in April 2015. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta was already being worked on then, as people have discovered with the datamines.
Plot twist:
Phil kept his word and put banjo as a fighter...

just Banjo tho, no kazooie

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Seeing Banjo in the lootcrate is really odd. I really want to believe that this + the Kotaku + the plush + the first 4 figure are actually leading to something!
There is going to be a jigsaw shape piece of paper in there that just says 3 and a date.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
According to IGC I thought Miyamoto was harsh towards Rare?

Or maybe it was someone else, idk.

I just remember seeing a tweet like that in reply to someone, idk if it was old or new. She might've just said NoJ, not sure.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Plot twist:
Phil kept his word and put banjo as a fighter...

just Banjo tho, no kazooie
Oof, Instant low tier, But I would still main him.

Banjo is gonna have to use those razor sharp teeth, claws and go primal/feral if he doesn't have Kazooie to back him up maybe even use his own Banjo as a weapon.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

There is going to be a jigsaw shape piece of paper in there that just says 3 and a date.
Even better. Everything is there but no BK material. Last piece of merch is the Smash Letter. Open it and it reads, "They're in."

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
With the recent merch banjo is getting, maybe Microsoft is testing the waters with them. Im sure rare constantly gets asked by everyone to make a new b-k game. Now MS is subtlety placing them here and there to see if they're really that popular

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

With the recent merch banjo is getting, maybe Microsoft is testing the waters with them. Im sure rare constantly gets asked by everyone to make a new b-k game. Now MS is subtlety placing them here and there to see if they're really that popular
We already know Phil is pushing hard for them. I have a feeling that Nintendo knows due to the ballot, main concern for me is the other Microsoft big-wigs. Does it really matter though since Phil runs the gaming section of Microsoft? Plus the Totaku figures are hard to come by, not to mention this big ass statue coming out. Why would they invest all that into a big piece of Merch if Banjo-Kazooie was NOT popular?
banjo-kazooie-statue.jpg

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 I can't stop imagining one of Banjo's victory animations being your profile pic.
Speaking of victory animations, you know how cloud has the ff music that plays after the initial theme? What if after banjo victory theme, the pause screen music plays?

We already know Phil is pushing hard for them. I have a feeling that Nintendo knows due to the ballot, main concern for me is the other Microsoft big-wigs. Does it really matter though since Phil runs the gaming section of Microsoft? Plus the Totaku figures are hard to come by, not to mention this big *** statue coming out. Why would they invest all that into a big piece of Merch if Banjo-Kazooie was NOT popular?View attachment 195334
This. Everyone on YouTube seems to think banjo is this out of touch, long forgotten ip. Up there with the likes of croc, gex and bubsy. This couldn't be further from the truth. MS, rare and poor grant kirkhope constantly get asked for a new game. Mario odyssey proves that 3d platformer collectathons are still in demand. Yooka layley well exceeded it's goal on kickstarter with the simple premise of:
"Hey, you like banjo?...its kinda like that"

You can yell "bUt tHEy HaVn'T HaD a gAmE IN tEn YeArS!!"till you're blue in the face. But if you think banjo dlc won't sell well, you're full of s***.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
We already know Phil is pushing hard for them. I have a feeling that Nintendo knows due to the ballot, main concern for me is the other Microsoft big-wigs. Does it really matter though since Phil runs the gaming section of Microsoft? Plus the Totaku figures are hard to come by, not to mention this big *** statue coming out. Why would they invest all that into a big piece of Merch if Banjo-Kazooie was NOT popular?View attachment 195334
It's interesting that they are also doing the same thing with Conker. I know it's so unlikely but please Sakurai I know you're a miracle worker... Could Conker come along with Banjo?

Something funny I thought of was if they reveal Banjo and in his trailer they make it seem like it's only Banjo being announced. Banjo is finally reunited with his Nintendo pals and they're sharing a heartwarming moment, and then all of sudden you hear a chainsaw and the music becomes ominous. The wall behind them now has a hole in it, and Conker jumps out from behind proceeding to chase Banjo away with the chainsaw. Then he walks up the camera and goes

"You look confused, why the long face? Ohhhh I see. You thought if Nintendo was adding a Rare character to Smash, it would only be Banjo huh? Man people are into some weird things these days. They'd rather play as a barbaric sounding bear and bird than a sophisticated squirrel like myself, hm? Too bad, I'm here too. Well, there goes another DLC slot. Two more left folks!"

Not only would something like that be hilarious, but perfectly in character for Conker. I just really want to see both Rarebros make it in. :(

Speaking of victory animations, you know how cloud has the ff music that plays after the initial theme? What if after banjo victory theme, the pause screen music plays?

This. Everyone on YouTube seems to think banjo is this out of touch, long forgotten ip. Up there with the likes of croc, gex and bubsy. This couldn't be further from the truth. MS, rare and poor grant kirkhope constantly get asked for a new game. Mario odyssey proves that 3d platformer collectathons are still in demand. Yooka layley well exceeded it's goal on kickstarter with the simple premise of:

You can yell "bUt tHEy HaVn'T HaD a gAmE IN tEn YeArS!!"till you're blue in the face. But if you think banjo dlc won't sell well, you're full of s***.
Especially when a large majority of the Smash audience are people who have been with Smash since Smash 64. Guess what other game was out on the N64 at the same time? Banjo-Kazooie. There’s a reason Banjo is always at or near the top of every fan poll. Anyone who believes Banjo wouldn’t sell extremely well is delusional.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Funnily enough, the revived Accolade (that came back thanks to Billionsoft) is trying its hardest to get people to give a damn about Bubsy with new games. Choice Provisions deserves better than having to work on the upcoming sequel.

Also, let's not forget about A Hat In Time being a beloved attempt at 3D platformer revivals.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Especially when a large majority of the Smash audience are people who have been with Smash since Smash 64. Guess what other game was out on the N64 at the same time? Banjo-Kazooie. There’s a reason Banjo is always at or near the top of every fan poll. Anyone who believes Banjo wouldn’t sell extremely well is delusional.
Also when you think about it every "Major" 1st Party/2nd Party Nintendo franchise's main character is already in Smash and represented, Banjo-Kazooie is really the last biggest name left in the bunch of unrepresented "Nintendo IP's"

He was as Nintendo as Pikachu and Kirby, Maybe even more so considering Nintendo practically owned half of Rare while Game Freak and HAL Laboratory are still independent companies.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Certainly seems like theres a decently strong marketing push for Banjo-Kazooie... I get that their anniversary just passed but I've seen more of B&K within the last month's of 2018 and now 2019 than I have in a decade...... the totaku, the new Rare merch, the statue, now Loot crate. This could be a subtle way of getting the characters back out there and in some ways introducing them to new fans perhaps just in time to possibly sell a bit more DLC???

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
The fact that Bubsy got a revival and is getting a sequel before Banjo-Kazooie is a freaking crime and a disgrace to video gaming icons everywhere.

That said, I do find it interesting all the jigsaw pieces falling into place this past year or so. Microsoft getting buddy buddy with Nintendo, Phil Spencer's previous comments about wanting Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, merchandise for their twentieth anniversary, rumors of the Xbox Game Pass coming to the Switch, Rare's little holiday card with Battletoads, Conker, and Banjo on it, etc. I'm really hoping this is their time to shine and unlock and open the Jiggy doors to Nintendo and Smash...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The fact that Bubsy got a revival and is getting a sequel before Banjo-Kazooie is a freaking crime and a disgrace to video gaming icons everywhere.

That said, I do find it interesting all the jigsaw pieces falling into place this past year or so. Microsoft getting buddy buddy with Nintendo, Phil Spencer's previous comments about wanting Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, merchandise for their twentieth anniversary, rumors of the Xbox Game Pass coming to the Switch, Rare's little holiday card with Battletoads, Conker, and Banjo on it, etc. I'm really hoping this is their time to shine and unlock and open the Jiggy doors to Nintendo and Smash...
All the build up that's been going on since Phil Spencer gave the ok back in 2015 is really gonna make it even more devastating if they don't make it in at the end, Especially if they have yet to be revealed and we are down to our last fighter on the pass 1 year from now anxiously waiting for closure to finally see if we succeeded or failed.

But I really hope that's not the case since things look to be really falling into our favor and that's keeping me optimistic and determine that at the end we will prevail.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Could you imagine if Microsoft did what Crash and Spyro did by sending certain people something that teased an announcement. Just think about all the Jiggies that would be sent out.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's interesting that they are also doing the same thing with Conker. I know it's so unlikely but please Sakurai I know you're a miracle worker... Could Conker come along with Banjo?

Something funny I thought of was if they reveal Banjo and in his trailer they make it seem like it's only Banjo being announced. Banjo is finally reunited with his Nintendo pals and they're sharing a heartwarming moment, and then all of sudden you hear a chainsaw and the music becomes ominous. The wall behind them now has a hole in it, and Conker jumps out from behind proceeding to chase Banjo away with the chainsaw. Then he walks up the camera and goes

"You look confused, why the long face? Ohhhh I see. You thought if Nintendo was adding a Rare character to Smash, it would only be Banjo huh? Man people are into some weird things these days. They'd rather play as a barbaric sounding bear and bird than a sophisticated squirrel like myself, hm? Too bad, I'm here too. Well, there goes another DLC slot. Two more left folks!"

Not only would something like that be hilarious, but perfectly in character for Conker. I just really want to see both Rarebros make it in. :(
As much as I'd love Conker I don't see him happening. Aside from the fact that his game didn't release in Japan, it'd be very hard to implement him faithfully without increasing the game's age rating between the guns, booze and urine....

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It really annoys me how Nintendo constantly juggles Diddy Kong's appearance's in Mario Kart and to a much lesser extent spinoffs. He should be regular mainstay like DK by now, I hope they do an update for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and add him in, He also missed MK 7 and has been abscent since MK Wii.

Hell, I'll pay for a Donkey Kong DLC pack that includes Diddy Kong, King K. Rool and DK Cup with 4 new courses, At least give us that if your not gonna give us a sequel to Diddy Kong Racing/ DK Racing.

Also Mario Tennis Aces should get an update with King K.Rool too.
Don't forget about Funky, we need him back in Mario Kart. We also need Dixie in there too.

MS (Phil)
Nintendo higher ups
Sakurai
I have faith in Phil and Sakurai, but I don't know if I have faith in Nintendo's higher ups to make this dream a reality.

According to IGC I thought Miyamoto was harsh towards Rare?
He was.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Well I scored an Xbox One S for free ! & got Rare Replay & Sea of thieves (bare bones gameplay & content IMO but great troll PvP gameplay)

Top Bottom