• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Last we established is that Rare/some staff members have gone radio silent.

That means one of two things

1. Nothing at all and they are ignoring the subject
2. Banjo is in Smash in some form.
You'd think they would tell us straight up if they are not. I'm pretty sure they will get in. Phil's got our back.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pokemon reps are at least all unique (except pichu) so gun to my head i'd rather have another pokemon than another fire emblem character. Either would be disappointing to me though. Or hell, if theyre gonna give us a fire emblem character, how about one that uses an axe or a lance. We have so many fire emblem characters and they all use swords (except robin) which is weird since the weapon triangle is such a big thing in those games.
Even Pichu has unique gameplay, despite being a clone, but yes. Give us a unique Fire Emblem character if you're going to give us one at all.

>all that hubbub in the Smash community about swordsmen
>meanwhile one of the newest Pokémon games is literally called "Sword"
Aegislash would be pretty neat tbh.
I've been wanting Honedge in Smash since pre-4 days.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You say that, but WayForward was very silent towards Shantae and she was only in as a Spirit.
Hey everyone, apparently the XBox Mixer banner with Marina was removed. Hm....

Edit: Here's an article: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ina_from_splatoon_2_on_the_xbox_one_dashboard
It doesn't matter who you are in a company when it comes to keeping a secret between your company and a other company, no one can break a NDA without facing the consequences.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Idk if anyone saw this but indiegamerchick leaked the nx (switch)
20FC0EBF-9F63-443C-AEFE-E963E6D16F50.png

I mean she’s not always wrong so...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I just realized something. If this Banjo for Smash movement becomes reality it may be possible for him and Kazooie to be included in Mario Kart 8 deluxe! I saw of a Wii u mod of him with Diddy Kong Racing music and I never knew just how sick that would be.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I just realized something. If this Banjo for Smash movement becomes reality it may be possible for him and Kazooie to be included in Mario Kart 8 deluxe! I saw of a Wii u mod of him with Diddy Kong Racing music and I never knew just how sick that would be.
Are they even doing anything with MK8DX? The last update added BotW Link, the BotW DLC motorcycle, and... That's it. I just assumed they were done with that game.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
Switch being more powerful than xbone and ps4 either proves she doesnt have great info sources or just that she might exaggerate/bend the truth. I think its more likely that she doesnt have good info sources though.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm still going to sit and wait to see if her claims come true. I'm not going to say if she is telling the truth or outright lying.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I have a quick question for you guys. Was there definitely Rare spirits in Ultimate's files? I remember hearing about a Jet Force Gemini one, and I just wanted to double check. If it's true, that might mean that Microsoft/Rare are 100% on board with Ultimate. I don't think it would've been a careless slip up because Sakurai's work ethics reflects perfection and close attention to detail.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have a quick question for you guys. Was there definitely Rare spirits in Ultimate's files? I remember hearing about a Jet Force Gemini one, and I just wanted to double check. If it's true, that might mean that Microsoft/Rare are 100% on board with Ultimate. I don't think it would've been a careless slip up because Sakurai's work ethics reflects perfection and close attention to detail.
There were strings for Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini found in the code, I think alongside other franchises including those with only Spirits.

The problem is that NoJ apparently still owns/owned the Japanese names for those games, so it could've been some weird slip-up I guess, but it's weird that they wouldn't scrub them completely after realizing that Rare owns them elsewhere, not to mention having the English names visible in the first place...

The Japanese names were used for the strings themselves, though, the English names just showed up in some info box while the guy was looking through 'em.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Are they even doing anything with MK8DX? The last update added BotW Link, the BotW DLC motorcycle, and... That's it. I just assumed they were done with that game.
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to add Captain Falcon in MK8DX. He's loooooong overdue.

TheBeastHimself

There were strings for Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini found in the code, I think alongside other franchises including those with only Spirits.

The problem is that NoJ apparently still owns/owned the Japanese names for those games, so it could've been some weird slip-up I guess, but it's weird that they wouldn't scrub them completely after realizing that Rare owns them elsewhere, not to mention having the English names visible in the first place...

The Japanese names were used for the strings themselves, though, the English names just showed up in some info box while the guy was looking through 'em.
That's very interesting. It seems possible that it could be a slip up, but it's interesting nonetheless because it can also be an indication that Microsoft is willing to play ball, which Phil Spencer has gracefully confirmed already.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It doesn't matter who you are in a company when it comes to keeping a secret between your company and a other company, no one can break a NDA without facing the consequences.
It should be noted, WF still hasn't responded to Smash tweets after Shantae's spirit got revealed, so who knows how long a NDA can last…

Meanwhile, it seems that Mario Tennis Aces will be getting Kamek and Dry Bones soon.

That's very interesting. It seems possible that it could be a slip up, but it's interesting nonetheless because it can also be an indication that Microsoft is willing to play ball, which Phil Spencer has gracefully confirmed already.
Not to mention that the code strings have been mentioned to be within the game carts themselves, unlike the Pakku/Jack/Brave names that got scrubbed away after the previous update.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think that they will outright put the likes of Mario and Pokemon on the XBox.
I could actually see it. Not now perhaps, but given that Nintendo's life as a company is tied to its ability to make consoles...

Yeah, having a plan B in case The Unthinkable (Nintendo crashes out of the console making industry, whether its due to technological changes making dedicated consoles much more cost-ineffective or something else) happens is always a good idea. So the organization survives in some form. Even if it winds up in a really strange place (in this case, on the Xbox Live streaming / digital download service).

Stranger things have happened. Hotel Mario and the cd-i Zelda games came from the same root that spawned the Playstation, Nintendo's biggest competitor bar none. Namely, the whole chaotic business dealings between Nintendo and Sony, and then Phillips, circa 1992. The fact that Nintendo never talks about the cd-i games tells a lot.

Businesses and organizations in general are weird. Organizational culture and plain inertia are bigger factors than most really realize (or want to realize). For example, Phil might be head honcho of the Xbox division - but he's not the only important cog. And we don't know what the other important cogs and executives want.

I'm really curious to see how Nintendo and Microsoft dealt with that as part of their discussions. Also, I'm putting forth a hypothesis:

Namely, that the power of the possible JFG spirit roughly = which kind of Microsoft rep gets in first. Sure, I'm of the belief that all three of B-K. Steve and Master Chief will get into Smash over the long term if the current trajectory continus, but if JFG's protagonist is Ace, then B-K's chances are looking good. If Advanced or Novice, I'm leaning towards Steve or Master Chief. Note that I said lean, no absolute.

Really though, if you ask me? I'll just be happy if there's new life breathed into Banjo-Kazooie as an IP, no matter if they'll get into Smash or not. I'm just a little worried about how, and that's difficult to answer in a gaming environment that avoids risk and wants safe smash hits due to the huge budgets involved. Still, if Steve or Master Chief gets in first, I'm still counting on a Kazooie / Tooie remake or port to the Switch. If only to gauge interest a la N-Sane Trilogy before commiting to something bigger.

Building a Threeie? Now that's a much tougher project. Yea, I know, the crusaders in here really want to see it as easy, but lay people like us have a big benefit: Not being under pressure from execs, who themselves are under pressure from shareholders and expectations, who themselves don't want to see their investments vanish. And I'm oversimplifying that tons. Not to mention the resources an AAA game needs. The reason I suspect a Threeie would be huge is that Threeie would mark a) the grand return of the franchise. Emphasis grand. And b) while Yooka-Laylee did well, a Banjo-Threeie will be expected to top that by a major margin to make it worth it in Microsoft's eyes. There are too many examples of sequels generating huge hype - some succeeding, others failing.

In the end, Smash has always been a business built around recognition and promotion. A mega business when every single game has sold 5 million copies. Or more. The stakes are high, not just because of the mega business or the fact that two console makers might be working together. People put so much stock in their favorite characters (like Banjo and Geno) that some see them not getting in as a catastrophy. An affront. Even if the real reasons are murky and not clear cut. The Rare spirits might be a really good clue to one thing: The negotations between Nintendo and Microsoft were probably tense and probably lead to a NDA. No matter what actually happened.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You won't see Nintendo games on Xbox period. Not unless Nintendo goes 3rd Party.

There is however a chance of seeing stuff like the Mario Minecraft content pop up on the XB version. And there's always a chance of Nintendo IP seeping into Microsoft exclusives. Like perhaps the next Halo game has a Samus costume for Master Chief online, or something along those lines.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It really annoys me how Nintendo constantly juggles Diddy Kong's appearance's in Mario Kart and to a much lesser extent spinoffs. He should be regular mainstay like DK by now, I hope they do an update for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and add him in, He also missed MK 7 and has been abscent since MK Wii.

Hell, I'll pay for a Donkey Kong DLC pack that includes Diddy Kong, King K. Rool and DK Cup with 4 new courses, At least give us that if your not gonna give us a sequel to Diddy Kong Racing/ DK Racing.

Also Mario Tennis Aces should get an update with King K.Rool too.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Any Banjo fans here have an opinion on Twelve Tales Conker 64, before Conker went all rated M? It was very reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie with an exploration theme, and had a lot of very colorful and creative looking locations. It really was an entirely different game from Bad Fur Day. Since it feels a lot like Banjo although being different at the same time, I was wondering if any of you would have wanted to play it:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any Banjo fans here have an opinion on Twelve Tales Conker 64, before Conker went all rated M? It was very reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie with an exploration theme, and had a lot of very colorful and creative looking locations. It really was an entirely different game from Bad Fur Day. Since it feels a lot like Banjo although being different at the same time, I was wondering if any of you would have wanted to play it:

I played Rare anything back in the 64 days, so yes. Only in this case I wouldn't have needed to play the game when nobody else was around.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Don't you know? Twelve Tales is the game Nintendo is resurrecting for the N64 mini!:crazy:

For real though, I'm happy we got CBFD.
Twelve Tales did look amazing, however.

TheBeastHimself

Don't you know? Twelve Tales is the game Nintendo is resurrecting for the N64 mini!:crazy:

For real though, I'm happy we got CBFD.
Twelve Tales did look amazing, however.
I would actually be totally down for that. While Bad Fur Day is an amazing game, Twelve Tales is a completely different but very interesting looking platformer. It looks so creative and I really enjoyed all the visuals, especially the opening cinematic. There was just so much to do and explore, so many different types of levels that haven't been seen in a 3D platformer. My favorite has to be the gladiator arena that appears to be inspired by Sparta. It's definitely possible for the game to get revived because Rare still has the ROM to this day. The footage we have is Rare members emulating it on a computer from a couple of years ago. That also means they never forgot about it, even with all the Rare employees coming and going.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So you guys probably noticed my extreme paranoia of a banjo mii costume, but I've just thought about something. Is it confirmed that we're even getting more costumes, or spirits fro that matter?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So you guys probably noticed my extreme paranoia of a banjo mii costume, but I've just thought about something. Is it confirmed that we're even getting more costumes, or spirits fro that matter?
It's no longer up, but for several weeks on the DLC support page for ultimate it had this
Mii Fighter Costume
  • Includes 1 Costume
  • Price: $0.75 (USD)
  • Content Available: 2019 (exact dates TBD)
https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/28/18159141/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-mii-fighter-costumes

TheBeastHimself

If it reassures you in any way, I think both Microsoft and Nintendo would realize making Banjo a Mii Costume would be a mistake. Phil Spencer himself saw all the praise for Banjo, why else would he randomly answer a question about Banjo getting into Smash? Sakurai is also aware of Banjo's popularity, almost being added to Melee. Since Sakurai couldn't put him in before thanks to the Microsoft buyout, I don't think Sakurai would miss his chance to put him in again. To me, that's just not Sakurai. If he sees a chance to create something fun and unique, especially if it's potentially a limited opportunity, he's gonna jump at it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would actually be totally down for that. While Bad Fur Day is an amazing game, Twelve Tales is a completely different but very interesting looking platformer. It looks so creative and I really enjoyed all the visuals, especially the opening cinematic. There was just so much to do and explore, so many different types of levels that haven't been seen in a 3D platformer. My favorite has to be the gladiator arena that appears to be inspired by Sparta. It's definitely possible for the game to get revived because Rare still has the ROM to this day. The footage we have is Rare members emulating it on a computer from a couple of years ago. That also means they never forgot about it, even with all the Rare employees coming and going.

Fun fact: Earthworm Jim 3D (which I played, sadly) was originally going to have an area inspired by Greek mythology (something you'd only know of if you were a Nintendo Power subscriber like I was). It seems that levels based on ancient times were doomed to not get used in kiddy 3D platformers, in those days. So it's good to see that the one in here might have survived long enough to get through early concepts.

With any luck, this game can serve as a proverbial Star Fox 2 for a prospective N64 Mini.

Granted, it's not the only cancelled game that was kept around by Rare, as I'm sure you might have known of the Game Boy Super Battletoads ROM that was found some time ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom