• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Well I scored an Xbox One S for free ! & got Rare Replay & Sea of thieves (bare bones gameplay & content IMO but great troll PvP gameplay)
If you're into fighting games, I highly recommend the new killer instinct. The mechanics aren't too difficult to pick up, tutorial is very beginner friendly and thoroughly explains said mechanics. The roster is amazing featuring every character from previous games, including new characters, guest characters, and bosses that were previously unplayable. Music is hype af. Roster is actually pretty balanced. Overall just an amazing game.

Literally one of the only reasons I have and Xbox. That and rare replays of course.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
If you're into fighting games, I highly recommend the new killer instinct. The mechanics aren't too difficult to pick up, tutorial is very beginner friendly and thoroughly explains said mechanics. The roster is amazing featuring every character from previous games, including new characters, guest characters, and bosses that were previously unplayable. Music is hype af. Roster is actually pretty balanced. Overall just an amazing game.

Literally one of the only reasons I have and Xbox. That and rare replays of course.
I wonder if the entire staff team went silent when the producer said he wanted to brong back every character from the previous installments...

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
As much as I'd love Conker I don't see him happening. Aside from the fact that his game didn't release in Japan, it'd be very hard to implement him faithfully without increasing the game's age rating between the guns, booze and urine....
Conker could be implemented into Smash a-okay. The thing is, in-game, there are two levels where you get drunk and urinate. Both sections are very brief. Just like Conker's swearing, it's used sparingly throughout BFD. It's funny, Conker is one of the most PG characters in his own game.

Another thing, all of Conker's weapons are kid friendly. Even if you took away his guns, he can still have a very creative moveset with his Context Sensitive ability, chainsaw, tnt, slingshot, knives, crossbow the list goes on. If you take the liquor away from the squirrel it wouldn't be a problem because outside of cutscenes and brief gameplay, alcohol isn't a very important aspect of BFD. Conker was able to appear in Project Spark without needing to swear or drink, so I think he'd qualify for Smash. And if there's one more thing for me to add:

Bayonetta: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes

Conker: Animated Violence, Mature Sexual Themes, Strong Language

I'd say Nintendo already took more of a risk adding Bayonetta, who's attire alone and history of making enemies explode into bloody chunks is already risky enough. A friendly looking cartoon squirrel (with white gloves to boot!) with a ton of different weapons isn't necessarily out of the question.

Until Sakurai comes out and says he's biased for games that were released in Japan, I'm going to continue supporting the squirrel. Even if he did come out and say that, I'm going to continue supporting the squirrel lol.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
It’s funny you mention Project Spark cause in Big Reunion there’s a scene where Conker gets drunk and has to prevent the pub from blowing up by urinating on the fuses. Then, Birdy catches fire and Conker has to put them out the same way he did with the fuses.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I wonder if the entire staff team went silent when the producer said he wanted to brong back every character from the previous installments...
In a way, that's actually a benefit for ki to stay dormant for so long. Back then, fighting game's only had a handful of characters. Makes it easier to pull a "everyone is here", while adding new characters as well. I love that game. By far my favorite 2d fighter.

The only gripe I have, is some of the characters "classic costumes" look awful. Sabrewulf in particular looks like hot garbage.

If banjo does get in, and by some miracle they include KI content, I want some music. Even if it doesn't fit with a banjo stage, imagine fighting to this:

TheBeastHimself

It’s funny you mention Project Spark cause in Big Reunion there’s a scene where Conker gets drunk and has to prevent the pub from blowing up by urinating on the fuses. Then, Birdy catches fire and Conker has to put them out the same way he did with the fuses.
Guess I didn't get too far in the game :p

I thought I got as far as I could in that game by the time Project Spark got canned but I suppose not, I found gameplay of what you were talking about on YouTube.

Regardless, I still believe Conker is fully functional without alcohol. If we're looking at his original source material, like I said, drinking is kept to a minimum, and if alcohol was a very important aspect of the game, there would be a lot more levels where you can get drunk. If Snake and Bayo can get toned down, so can Conker because he has enough tools in his arsenal for a creative moveset even after you cut all the adult stuff out.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
Guess I didn't get too far in the game :p

I thought I got as far as I could in that game by the time Project Spark got canned but I suppose not, I found gameplay of what you were talking about on YouTube.

Regardless, I still believe Conker is fully functional without alcohol. If we're looking at his original source material, like I said, drinking is kept to a minimum, and if alcohol was a very important aspect of the game, there would be a lot more levels where you can get drunk. If Snake and Bayo can get toned down, so can Conker because he has enough tools in his arsenal for a creative moveset even after you cut all the adult stuff out.
As much as i love conker i'd say that he's one of the more unlikely possibilities. He only really had one game that came at the end of n64 lifecycle ( i know he had some other titles but BFD is really the only reason anyone would want this character imo) that didn't sell particularly well (i read it sold less than 60k units on IGN) and didnt get released in japan until waaaaaaay later. Lots of more popular franchises exist that have been backed by fans money.

Its not that he couldnt be implemented in a PG friendly way. its just that i'd see microsoft putting master cheif AND steve before even considering conker. I really hope i'm wrong though because I loved BFD. I think conkers chances are more likely to be in the next smash game and only if banjo makes it into this one.

TheBeastHimself

As much as i love conker i'd say that he's one of the more unlikely possibilities. He only really had one game that came at the end of n64 lifecycle ( i know he had some other titles but BFD is really the only reason anyone would want this character imo) that didn't sell particularly well (i read it sold less than 60k units on IGN) and didnt get released in japan until waaaaaaay later. Lots of more popular franchises exist that have been backed by fans money.

Its not that he couldnt be implemented in a PG friendly way. its just that i'd see microsoft putting master cheif AND steve before even considering conker. I really hope i'm wrong though because I loved BFD. I think conkers chances are more likely to be in the next smash game and only if banjo makes it into this one.
I think you're right. First off, there's no way Conker would get in before Banjo. And yeah, there honestly are a lot of more popular franchises that would drive sales through the roof. If Banjo does make it in as DLC, Conker could have a chance in the next game's base roster. Maybe not a huge chance, but his foot would definitely be in the door. As for DLC, who knows, Sakurai may pull some WTF characters or retro reps, and Conker could fit into one of those categories. For now, I'm just going to continue praying to the Smash Gods that Sakurai pulls off a miracle.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
I think you're right. First off, there's no way Conker would get in before Banjo. And yeah, there honestly are a lot of more popular franchises that would drive sales through the roof. If Banjo does make it in as DLC, Conker could have a chance in the next game's base roster. Maybe not a huge chance, but his foot would definitely be in the door. As for DLC, who knows, Sakurai may pull some WTF characters or retro reps, and Conker could fit into one of those categories. For now, I'm just going to continue praying to the Smash Gods that Sakurai pulls off a miracle.
yeah i mean at the end of the day anything is possible!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait, Takamaru got localized!?
3DS Virtual console back in 2014 I think...

Or it was just the original rom, no text changes.
I think the condition for Takamaru was "if he gets a sequel, maybe". Of course, he hasn't gotten a sequel. The closest thing Murasame Castle ever got to one was that campaign/bonus mode in Samurai Warriors 3, and even then that's a Koei Tecmo game, so non-canon.

At least the Isaac fans are in an actual position to try and get a sequel approved for their character...

yeah to be fair I think what IGC talked about was during Rare's NES days or something, so if Miyamoto liked Banjo-Kazooie (not to mention they were considered Nintendo mascots) then I guess we know they got better overtime anyway.
I mean, in fairness, it was tough to see Rare have a good reputation back then, between their contractual work for LJN being farmed out quickly and their actual good games still being balls-hard.

In regards to retro characters, I'm actually concerned that Sakurai's already moving away from NES, considering that he had to resort to :ultpiranha: for the latest old WTF character.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I think it’s a guarantee that Microsoft content is getting in the DLC and Banjo is a part of it in some form. The question is this: will they make him or Steve playable? Personally, I can’t see Steve getting in. I say this because Sakurai himself said all those years ago that Banjo seems like an obvious inclusion to fans. I’m about 99% positive that they would have got in Brawl if Rare wouldn’t have been bought by Microsoft. Another point I want to bring up is that Phil Spencer will look pretty terrible if Steve gets in instead of Banjo after the comment he made and I think he knows that. That’s just my 2 cents though. Stay strong Banjo bois!

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys & gals, lifelong Banjo-Kazooie & Smash Bros fan here. You can add me to that support list if you want. BK has always been the 1 character I've wanted in Smash since I was like 4. It would make me so glad to finally see them in Smash and complete my childhood dream.

Btw, what's ALL the evidence for the duo right now? Cause I know they have supposedly have a good bit. Scrapped RareWare spirits, Phil's tweets, IGC's comments on them, can't think of anymore right now. And I know they had to do well in the 2015 Smash Ballot.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
I think it’s a guarantee that Microsoft content is getting in the DLC and Banjo is a part of it in some form. The question is this: will they make him or Steve playable? Personally, I can’t see Steve getting in. I say this because Sakurai himself said all those years ago that Banjo seems like an obvious inclusion to fans. I’m about 99% positive that they would have got in Brawl if Rare wouldn’t have been bought by Microsoft. Another point I want to bring up is that Phil Spencer will look pretty terrible if Steve gets in instead of Banjo after the comment he made and I think he knows that. That’s just my 2 cents though. Stay strong Banjo bois!

Sakurai's comments on Banjo were when Banjo was actually relevant (just 1 or 2 years removed from Tooie right?)... but now it's been 19 years since their last good game. It's very possible Sakurai or Nintendo don't think he's an "obvious inclusion" anymore.

Also Phil won't look that bad. Nintendo decides who they want, and Phil can't talk Nintendo into putting Banjo in if they don't want him.

I agree something Microsoft is definitely going to be DLC. Phil's been quiet about Microsoft characters in Smash since March, which might mean he's under an NDA and knows the fate of Banjo, Steve, etc.. He probably knows which one is a character and which one is the Mii costume. This would be very similar to how WayForward said nothing of Shantae because they knew she was a spirit.

Edit: Just want to clarify, I think the most likely outcome is that one of Banjo/Steve is a fighter, and the other is a Mii costume.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Thing is, Steve actually works as a Mii Costume, and it doesn’t feel like we’re getting robbed of a character due to his avatar like nature. The same cannot he said for Banjo.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Minecraft Player (I predict that's what this character would be called since there'll probably be different skins that make them too different from Steve/Alex) is in, prepare to create a backlash that'll hopefully force Sakurai/Nintendo to get Banjo in beyond the Fighters Pass. Don't give up until they give up.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sakurai's comments on Banjo were when Banjo was actually relevant (just 1 or 2 years removed from Tooie right?)... but now it's been 19 years since their last good game. It's very possible Sakurai or Nintendo don't think he's an "obvious inclusion" anymore.

Also Phil won't look that bad. Nintendo decides who they want, and Phil can't talk Nintendo into putting Banjo in if they don't want him.

I agree something Microsoft is definitely going to be DLC. Phil's been quiet about Microsoft characters in Smash since March, which might mean he's under an NDA and knows the fate of Banjo, Steve, etc.. He probably knows which one is a character and which one is the Mii costume. This would be very similar to how WayForward said nothing of Shantae because they knew she was a spirit.

Edit: Just want to clarify, I think the most likely outcome is that one of Banjo/Steve is a fighter, and the other is a Mii costume.
Rare seems to also be quiet yet I don’t know if Mojang is or not...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fun fact: Earthworm Jim 3D (which I played, sadly) was originally going to have an area inspired by Greek mythology (something you'd only know of if you were a Nintendo Power subscriber like I was). It seems that levels based on ancient times were doomed to not get used in kiddy 3D platformers, in those days.
Mayahem temple begs to differ.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
They're was the "dig" comment a while back. Although I think that was MS in general, not mojang specifically. Not enough to break NDA
I feel like people were overblowing that, Not surprising seeing how this is the internet, But it was still pretty annoying how some people were really buying into that. It gives me flashbacks when people were overanalyzing the Smash direct backgrounds that were supposely teasing fighters that never became true and which I never bought into.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

If Minecraft Player (I predict that's what this character would be called since there'll probably be different skins that make them too different from Steve/Alex) is in, prepare to create a backlash that'll hopefully force Sakurai/Nintendo to get Banjo in beyond the Fighters Pass. Don't give up until they give up.
Nah not a backlash. We should be even more vocal but creating a backlash won't solve anything, it practically ruined the reputation of Waluigi's fanbase.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I feel like people were overblowing that, Not surprising seeing how this is the internet, But it was still pretty annoying how some people were really buying into that. It gives me flashbacks when people were overanalyzing the Smash direct backgrounds that were supposely teasing fighters that never became true and which I never bought into.
"Yo dude did you see that last smash direct? Sakurai was eating pizza, and there was a stuffed bear in the background. Freddy Fazbear comfirmed!!!!"

TheBeastHimself

People literally thought ****ing chairs were referencing Skull Kid. If Sakurai saw that he must've been like wtf

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They're was the "dig" comment a while back. Although I think that was MS in general, not mojang specifically. Not enough to break NDA
...MInecraft isn't even on the Game Pass, the context of the tweet alone. It's just at best the worst phrase to use. It means it says "Do you dig it?" A.K.A. "You into this?" Well, more or less, anyway. Now if you didn't know the Game Pass lacked Minecraft, it would make you think on it at least. But once you know that, it becomes obvious that it has jack-all to do with Minecraft.

Nonetheless, it's cool to see these various promotional tweets~

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's obvious what they meant by dig was we weren't digging far enough. There is more to the story than we know and Microsoft is trying to tell us that. It's all a big conspiracy I tell you.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Nah not a backlash. We should be even more vocal but creating a backlash won't solve anything, it practically ruined the reputation of Waluigi's fanbase.
You're right. We should be more vocal in a way that the only way to stop it is if Banjo is a fighter, not a Mii costume, but an actual fighter.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
...MInecraft isn't even on the Game Pass, the context of the tweet alone. It's just at best the worst phrase to use. It means it says "Do you dig it?" A.K.A. "You into this?" Well, more or less, anyway. Now if you didn't know the Game Pass lacked Minecraft, it would make you think on it at least. But once you know that, it becomes obvious that it has jack-all to do with Minecraft.

Nonetheless, it's cool to see these various promotional tweets~
Never stopped trolls from using it as an excuse to claim Steve is in. Just counter with the Phil tweets and IDC tweets and they shut up right quick.

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Say, now that I think about it, if the bear and bird did get in, would they be referred to as "Banjo & Kazooie" or "Banjo-Kazooie" (ala Duck Hunt)?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never stopped trolls from using it as an excuse to claim Steve is in. Just counter with the Phil tweets and IDC tweets and they shut up right quick.
It's a poor reason, though it doesn't mean Steve isn't in. We just don't know who is in at this point. Two rather major characters have pretty strong chances at this point. I'm leaning towards Steve being more likely myself, but regardless, we have no real evidence that makes either choice clear as day.

Say, now that I think about it, if the bear and bird did get in, would they be referred to as "Banjo & Kazooie" or "Banjo-Kazooie" (ala Duck Hunt)?
Probably the latter. Mostly so the character series has the & instead. Is Banjo-Kazooie a proper title for the characters as is? I always thought it was.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
They should be referred to as "Banjo", since he'd be the player character, but even Rosalina's puppet got a clunkily implimented mention in her fighter name so I guess that's off the cards.

Duck Hunt is Duck Hunt Duo, though, so unless they want to title them "Banjo Kazooie Duo", the & aught to be there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They should be referred to as "Banjo", since he'd be the player character, but even Rosalina's puppet got a clunkily implimented mention in her fighter name so I guess that's off the cards.

Duck Hunt is Duck Hunt Duo, though, so unless they want to title them "Banjo Kazooie Duo", the & aught to be there.
Duck Hunt is the more proper name. It's a bad translation as the character is more properly a trio, with the invisible Gun Man(via using the Zapper) for a lot of the moves. Duo is just misleading. It's as bad as them forgetting how important the Pikmin are among the characters. It should be labeled Pikmin & Olimar instead(as well as Pikmin & Alph), as they're the more accurate names. Sometimes we get misleading translations, really.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I remember we were discussing this months ago, Though "Banjo-Kazooie" rolls off the tongue a lot more, But I would still prefer "Banjo & Kazooie" since they are a tag team and it feels like each character gets their due a lot more, I know it sounds kind of stupid since the difference is a " - or a &" in the name, Though I wouldn't mind either.

Banjo-Kazooie is the name of the franchise/series and Banjo & Kazooie are the characters.

Or if your lazy just say Banjo.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember we were discussing this months ago, Though "Banjo-Kazooie" rolls off the tongue a lot more, But I would still prefer "Banjo & Kazooie" since they are a tag team and it feels like each character gets recognition a lot more, I know it sounds kind of stupid since the difference is a " - or a &" in the name, Though I wouldn't mind either.

Banjo-Kazooie is the name of the franchise/series and Banjo & Kazooie are the characters.

Or if your lazy just say Banjo.
Whoops, I got that backwards. I haven't put my BK games in for years at this point. Though I only own the N64 titles(which are awesome games, btw. I mean, I'm not super into the series or those particular games, but credit where its due regardless~).

volbound1700

Smash Master
My best case final 4 characters:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Tails
3. Rayman
4. Bomberman

Also Geno and Knuckles Mii costumes return

TheBeastHimself

My whole take on Steve is that I think he'd be best suited as a Mii Costume in this game, rather than a full fledged fighter. Steve himself is already very similar to a Mii; they're both blank slates and you're supposed to project your personality onto them. It's a perfect fit in my eyes. If Nintendo wanted to add Steve in, it makes sense for Phil Spencer to speak up and tell them about fans asking him about Banjo. And if Nintendo knows this, that would be a huge slap in the face not to add him. I'm not necessarily saying that Nintendo is obligated to appeal to Banjo fans, but if they know the marketplace is there, and Sakurai finally has a second chance to include Banjo, I can't see why they would add Steve instead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My whole take on Steve is that I think he'd be best suited as a Mii Costume in this game, rather than a full fledged fighter.
Oh, "Isabelle is better suited as Assist Trophy" argument again. This is completely subjective.

Steve himself is already very similar to a Mii; they're both blank slates and you're supposed to project your personality onto them. It's a perfect fit in my eyes.
Only blank slate Mii costume that I can think of is Monster Hunter and even that is the armor, not character. Your argument doesn't hold up because character Mii costumes' purpose is giving Miis someone to cosplay as. Steve being a blank slate wouldn't make him more likely to be a Mii costume: look at Isabelle and Villager and tell me which one has a Mii costume.

If Nintendo wanted to add Steve in, it makes sense for Phil Spencer to speak up and tell them about fans asking him about Banjo. And if Nintendo knows this, that would be a huge slap in the face not to add him.
Only if you take it that way.

I'm not necessarily saying that Nintendo is obligated to appeal to Banjo fans, but if they know the marketplace is there, and Sakurai finally has a second chance to include Banjo, I can't see why they would add Steve instead.
Because company slots aren't a thing and window shopping logic doesn't apply to third parties. Sakurai didn't look through all IPs of SEGA to decide adding Joker.

If Steve gets add, it would be because Minecraft's own merits. It's a big deal and its understandable if Nintendo wants to add content from it to Smash.

TheBeastHimself

Oh, "Isabelle is better suited as Assist Trophy" argument again. This is completely subjective.

Only blank slate Mii costume that I can think of is Monster Hunter and even that is the armor, not character. Your argument doesn't hold up because character Mii costumes' purpose is giving Miis someone to cosplay as. Steve being a blank slate wouldn't make him more likely to be a Mii costume: look at Isabelle and Villager and tell me which one has a Mii costume.

Only if you take it that way.

Because company slots aren't a thing and window shopping logic doesn't apply to third parties. Sakurai didn't look through all IPs of SEGA to decide adding Joker.

If Steve gets add, it would be because Minecraft's own merits. It's a big deal and its understandable if Nintendo wants to add content from it to Smash.
You're right, I didn't take the Isabelle Mii costume into consideration. I understand that Steve has his own merits to get in, but all I'm trying to say is that Phil Spencer has the power to make Nintendo aware of the Banjo support, and this would also be Sakurai's second and possibly limited chance of including Banjo depending on if Nintendo and Microsoft continue their friendly relations going forward. That is why I personally think that Banjo is more likely than Steve. I'll admit that the whole Mii costume thing was just me babbling nonsense. Steve is literally from one of the biggest and most influential games of this generation, of course he may have just as much a chance as Banjo does, but for the reasons I stated, I think Banjo is more likely.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
You're right, I didn't take the Isabelle Mii costume into consideration. I understand that Steve has his own merits to get in, but all I'm trying to say is that Phil Spencer has the power to make Nintendo aware of the Banjo support, and this would also be Sakurai's second and possibly limited chance of including Banjo depending on if Nintendo and Microsoft continue their friendly relations going forward. That is why I personally think that Banjo is more likely than Steve. I'll admit that the whole Mii costume thing was just me babbling nonsense. Steve is literally from one of the biggest and most influential games of this generation, of course he may have just as much a chance as Banjo does, but for the reasons I stated, I think Banjo is more likely.
I still stand by my belief that Minecraft is only Smash worthy as a unique stage. Music and fighter potential is severely limited or non-existent. I'll even go as far as to say that the monsters, weapons and even the literal dirt are more iconic than Steve. Minecraft merch usually comprises of the textured dirt blocks, diamond sword/ pick axe, and the creepers. Phil has sort of made a promise with his talks of reviving the Banjo-Kazooie franchise and pushing for them in Smash Brothers. I know people think otherwise, but I doubt anyone is going to convince me to think of Steve as anything more than a Mii costume. If Joker is an indication of anything, it's that you need all 3 aspects of Fighter, Music, and Stage to be a DLC fighter where game sales and influence do not mean jack in this case. Again, this is why I push for Banjo so hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom