• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChrisNonyminus

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just joined the boards today (although I've been a lurker for a long time now, a lurker of this thread especially)!

I've wanted Banjo & Kazooie in Smash since 2014, so sign me up/add me to the list!

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Do we have an estimate of when dlc characters were decided?
I’d assume before this tweet came out especially since third party character negotiations and all...

Edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I head a dream last night that Banjo was announced for Smash to open a direct. Kazooie had a crown on for some reason and there was a voice over saying they were finally back!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so thanks to a like I've received in the Geno thread, I finally got to a post that I've seen before, the source that cited that Wave 2 depends on a few factors:

Well, I blanked out his name. He seems to be offline and I can't get ahold of him, but he's told me numerous time he doesn't mind me sharing his info, so long as I don't give his name out. This is what my source sent me today (also, don't judge Discord light theme :( also, I was the Sabi person he was tagging, haha)
View attachment 180462
Take it as you will. Although I am certain that ATs won't get upgraded for this game.

If Banjo doesn't make it in, would you settle for Banjo?

View attachment 192598
Nah, Kremlings or bust. Besides, I don't think anyone cares much about the Tiki Taks anymore.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, I just joined the boards today (although I've been a lurker for a long time now, a lurker of this thread especially)!

I've wanted Banjo & Kazooie in Smash since 2014, so sign me up/add me to the list!
Welcome aboard new Banjo-Roo. ;)

View attachment 192598
I whether have the K. Rool cut out board from DK64 as a playable character instead.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, Arlo tackled the Smash “impossibles” in one of his videos.
I think some of his points are kind of moot like I think the character absolutely has to have had at least one appearance on Nintendo no matter how obscure but I digress.

He specifically called out Banjo for ones people say is impossible for a multitude of reasons and he seems fairly confident in his DL prediction of him. Not to say it’s correct but he is a decent sized YouTuber so maybe at the very least he got Banjo more spotlight. Not that he really needed it but, y’know.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

View attachment 192598
I think most people really weren't fans of the Tiki Tak Tribe in Returns, They weren't terrible ,But they were pretty forgettable, boring and serviceable at best. It felt like facing an entire army of wooden goombas.

Tropical Freeze's Snomads were a huge improvement and the whole arctic animals and vikings theme was a great idea and reminiscent of DKC 2: Diddy's Kongquest Kremling pirate theme too.

Fans of Donkey Kong including myself will always favor King K. Rool and the Kremling Krew, But the Snomads were very well received by most fans and reminiscent of the Kremlings, Not so much the Tiki Tak Tribe.

Last edited:
Okay, so thanks to a like I've received in the Geno thread, I finally got to a post that I've seen before, the source that cited that Wave 2 depends on a few factors:

Take it as you will. Although I am certain that ATs won't get upgraded for this game.

Nah, Kremlings or bust. Besides, I don't think anyone cares much about the Tiki Taks anymore.
I don’t care who it is, I have a hard time believing these posts where people claim to know such top level information at Nintendo or Sakurai’s level

JonSmash

Smash Ace
So Sakurai confermed that DLC characters will not have there own Palutena's Guidance despite piranha plant having one

Witch IMO PROOVES piranha plant was supposed to be a base character but was held back as a promo character to promote the game for early buyers B/C in that direct when they showed him off he looked very finished to me

So no Palutena's Guidance for banjo & kazooie if they get in :/

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Sakurai confermed that DLC characters will not have there own Palutena's Guidance despite piranha plant having one

Witch IMO PROOVES piranha plant was supposed to be a base character but was held back as a promo character to promote the game for early buyers B/C in that direct when they showed him off he looked very finished to me

So no Palutena's Guidance for banjo & kazooie if they get in :/
Which gives more credibility that Geno might be coming in the Season Pass because Megasmilax a boss from Mario RPG was in that list of different Piranha Plants that Viridi listed in Piranha Plant's guidance. There was also a SMRPG Japanese commercial reference in Piranha's Plant credits Classic Mode picture.

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Which gives more credibility that Geno might be coming in the Season Pass because Megasmilax a boss from Mario RPG was in that list of different Piranha Plants that Viridi listed in Piranha Plant's guidance. There was also a SMRPG Japanese commercial reference in Piranha's Plant credits Classic Mode picture.
Unfortunately, the appearance of Megasmilax means nothing. Piranha plants mentioned came from EVERY game. Hell, even the Piranha Plorp from Bowser's inside story was mentioned...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unfortunately, the appearance of Megasmilax means nothing. Piranha plants mentioned came from EVERY game. Hell, even the Piranha Plorp from Bowser's inside story was mentioned...
But the difference between all the other Piranha Plants and Megasmilax is that he is owned by Square-Enix just like all the other original SMRPG characters.

Also, happy birthday dude. ;)

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
But the difference between all the other Piranha Plants and Megasmilax is that he is owned by Square-Enix just like all the other original SMRPG characters.

Also, happy birthday dude. ;)
Thank you, but I still don't think it means anything. A lot of characters were split between Nintendo and SE. Smilax being a piranha plant, I think Nintendo would keep the rights to him. But I could be completely wrong...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So, Arlo tackled the Smash “impossibles” in one of his videos.
I think some of his points are kind of moot like I think the character absolutely has to have had at least one appearance on Nintendo no matter how obscure but I digress.

He specifically called out Banjo for ones people say is impossible for a multitude of reasons and he seems fairly confident in his DL prediction of him. Not to say it’s correct but he is a decent sized YouTuber so maybe at the very least he got Banjo more spotlight. Not that he really needed it but, y’know.
The whole "has to have originated in a video game" rule is BS too.

First of all we have ROB, and secondly, if such a rule were to exist then James Bond would have never been a consideration for Melee.

The whole "has to have originated in a video game" rule is BS too.

First of all we have ROB, and secondly, if such a rule were to exist then James Bond would have never been a consideration for Melee.
Being “considered” in only the second game in the series, before it established its identity, is a weak argument. And ROB was literally made for the purpose of playing video games.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Well ROB is technically Video game of origin he is a gaming gaming peripheral sold with the nes & works with a few games as well as cameo'd in many games & even was playable in mario kart DS

BUT that brain age head guy AT is a real life person so yeah there are no real rules I guess ?

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah ROB is game related

& EpicElliot EpicElliot the brain age guy's name is Dr kawashima & he has been in smash since brawl A REAL LIFE HUMAN.....head

Sakurai can & will do what ever he wants (with input from nintendo & fans)

Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack Do you think sakurai thought james bond was a video game character back then & not a movie character ?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
There's something I discovered that I wanted to point out to you guys. Why does Microsoft use Conker more if Banjo is the more popular franchise? I know I appear biased and my intent isn't to come off as "Conker has a higher chance" because I think that notion is rather ridiculous, but Banjo got Nuts & Bolts (2008), while Conker got Live & Reloaded (2005), Conker's Big Reunion (2015), and Young Conker (2016). You would think that Banjo has more potential to produce games over Conker, so this little discovery is confusing me.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
There's something I discovered that I wanted to point out to you guys. Why does Microsoft use Conker more if Banjo is the more popular franchise? I know I appear biased and my intent isn't to come off as "Conker has a higher chance" because I think that notion is rather ridiculous, but Banjo got Nuts & Bolts (2008), while Conker got Live & Reloaded (2005), Conker's Big Reunion (2015), and Young Conker (2016). You would think that Banjo has more potential to produce games over Conker, so this little discovery is confusing me.
I just realized that Banjo and Conker have the same amount of games even if you count Diddy Kong Racing.

TheBeastHimself

I just realized that Banjo and Conker have the same amount of games even if you count Diddy Kong Racing.
Yup. What's even more interesting is if their planned sequels weren't cancelled, they would still have the same amount of games! Banjo-Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day.

Banjo:
  1. Diddy Kong Racing
  2. Banjo-Kazooie
  3. Banjo-Tooie
  4. Unreleased Banjo-Threeie
  5. Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
  6. Banjo-Pilot
  7. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Conker:
  1. Diddy Kong Racing
  2. Conker's Pocket Tales
  3. Conker's Bad Fur Day
  4. Unreleased Conker's Other Bad Day
  5. Conker: Live & Reloaded
  6. Conker's Big Reunion
  7. Young Conker
The two really are a lot more similar than people think.

Last edited:

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
With Microsoft wanting to cater to "mature" audiences more then kids Conker probably seemed more appealing to advertise then Banjo & Kazooie

TheBeastHimself

With Microsoft wanting to cater to "mature" audiences more then kids Conker probably seemed more appealing to advertise then Banjo & Kazooie
It's still odd because Conker's Big Reunion on Project Spark was T-rated, with toilet humor as its worst offender. And Young Conker is flat out targeted for kids. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie could have easily replaced Conker in these two roles, but Microsoft decided against it for whatever reason.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Do you guys think getting permission to use banjo would be easier and cheaper since it's a dormant ip at the moment?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do you guys think getting permission to use banjo would be easier and cheaper since it's a dormant ip at the moment?
I think so. That may be why we managed to get Castlevania characters, despite Lords of Shadow and SEXUAL VIOLENCE putting it to bed.

Well ROB is technically Video game of origin he is a gaming gaming peripheral sold with the nes & works with a few games as well as cameo'd in many games & even was playable in mario kart DS

BUT that brain age head guy AT is a real life person so yeah there are no real rules I guess ?
He's a giant floating head, it doesn't matter in his case.

You can make a better argument for Dr. Wright, who is based on Will Wright. Though you still can't have a stage for him even then, since the copyright holders of SimCity are strict.

Also, if there are any actors that are right out, it's Tom Cruise, who outright refuses to have his likeness in video games.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I think so. That may be why we managed to get Castlevania characters, despite Lords of Shadow and SEXUAL VIOLENCE putting it to bed.
If that's the case, then that's another advantage for the duo. A fan favorite that's guaranteed to sell and cheaper to get, than some more lucrative ips, what's the downside?

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
If that's the case, then that's another advantage for the duo. A fan favorite that's guaranteed to sell and cheaper to get, than some more lucrative ips, what's the downside?
I swear im not bashing so don't send the Hag 1 on me here.

Wouldn't Minecraft require a lot more money to use in Smash due to all the Merch and sales it accumulates? Not saying Big N does not have the money for it, but from a business sense it would stand to reason to use the older IP that is more requested than the popular IP that isn't as sought after for Smash bros.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I wouldn't say there's a particularly fatal downside to choosing Banjo.
Fan demand trumps the relevancy argument, and Banjo's pretty popularly requested. Moveset potential is through the roof. They've actually originated on Nintendo consoles and would fit right in as far as character style/variety is concerned. And we know Microsoft/Phil Spencer is totally down to work with Nintendo if given the chance.

I'm gonna be Captain Obvious and say that I think the biggest concern for Banjo is what I call the "5 character slot syndrome."
Five DLC characters is both a lot and not a lot at the same time. There are a plethora of viable characters, and while no one here will argue that Banjo doesn't deserve one of those spots, I see it as very possible that Nintendo and/or Sakurai think there are 5 other characters that should get those spots before Banjo.

It's one of the reasons I'm really hoping for a second pass of DLC characters.

Top Bottom