• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm wondering if they'd do something like a two character reveal again with Western / Eastern audience appeal. The placeholder date is December 2021 for the whole pass to be out, so that gives an average of one character every 4 months. I think normally there are Nintendo Directs in Jan/Feb, June (E3), and Sept/Nov, so that technically could be an announcement every one of those. But I could see them waiting until June this year to announce a couple as Byleth just came out and the first pass is wrapping up.

I love continued support and all, but I'm going to be honest, I'll be happy when every DLC is finished up and released if for nothing else just to enjoy the game and not worry about speculation, haha.

But hey, got Banjo, can't ask for anything more. ^_^
Same, but hey, I don't mind seeing how far it'll go and wreck people's pre-conceived notions. I've had some really nice wish inclusions getting in up to this point, so I'm pretty much committed to this train ride. I'll only be concerned about taking an extended hiatus from this board when this cycle ends. (Especially once I get a Switch and catch up on every game I've accumulated.)

kCxWGSH.gif

dlewis53

Smash Lord
My personal (relatively realistic) wish-list for Vol. 2 would be:

Sora
Spyro
Bandana Dee (Assuming Spirts already present in the game don't deconfirm)
Crash
Geno (Same reason as Bandana Dee)
Viewtiful Joe

Amen to that, brother. With how much of a bloodbath the speculation scene looked like leading up to Byleth's reveal, I'll be happy when it's finally over!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Same, but hey, I don't mind seeing how far it'll go and wreck people's pre-conceived notions. I've had some really nice wish inclusions getting in up to this point, so I'm pretty much committed to this train ride. I'll only be concerned about taking an extended hiatus from this board when this cycle ends. (Especially once I get a Switch and catch up on every game I've accumulated.)

It is really amusing to see people jump behind random leaks and put everything into it and then get surprised or shocked when it’s wrong. *cough* Byleth *cough*. To me, I like Smash as a game. Love the concept, mechanics, and gameplay. I think Sakurai and his team do a great job with what they do, and while I’d obviously be happy with personal favorite characters, Ultimate is an incredible game that quite honestly in my mind is borderline impossible to improve on unless they give it an unexpected overhaul. I’m loving the ride as a whole and can’t wait to see the final roster count and what they do with the stage selection screen, etc, as the amount of content is mind blowing to be frank.
The drama is ultimately worth it as it means the game continually gets updates, but man it’s a vicious cycle. XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is precious and impressive.

It is really amusing to see people jump behind random leaks and put everything into it and then get surprised or shocked when it’s wrong. *cough* Byleth *cough*. To me, I like Smash as a game. Love the concept, mechanics, and gameplay. I think Sakurai and his team do a great job with what they do, and while I’d obviously be happy with personal favorite characters, Ultimate is an incredible game that quite honestly in my mind is borderline impossible to improve on unless they give it an unexpected overhaul. I’m loving the ride as a whole and can’t wait to see the final roster count and what they do with the stage selection screen, etc, as the amount of content is mind blowing to be frank.
The drama is ultimately worth it as it means the game continually gets updates, but man it’s a vicious cycle. XD
I think more about the 5Chan leak. Which people believed because it seemed "realistic".

The funny part is that this time around, the Smash dev cycle is put on fast forward; we just went through the Melee/Brawl/4-style climax twice in a row. Possibly going on thrice, so far. It'll make the fanbase look like goldfish by the end of it. Regardless of anything, the base game is pretty damned good to start with even if you skip extra content for some silly reason.

At this stage, I wonder how complex the next characters will be mechanics-wise, how many fan rules will get broken sooner or later and how much more content they can cram in here just because they want to. Also, just what series can make the selection while most currently drop like flies when DLC event stuff for those happen.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Been awhile since I've been around here huh?

Anyways, with the new patch and the nerfing of Joker int he form of Arsene going away faster with damage I ran some tests with Egg and Blaster

Hopes this helps someone out there

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm wondering if they'd do something like a two character reveal again with Western / Eastern audience appeal. The placeholder date is December 2021 for the whole pass to be out, so that gives an average of one character every 4 months. I think normally there are Nintendo Directs in Jan/Feb, June (E3), and Sept/Nov, so that technically could be an announcement every one of those. But I could see them waiting until June this year to announce a couple as Byleth just came out and the first pass is wrapping up.

I love continued support and all, but I'm going to be honest, I'll be happy when every DLC is finished up and released if for nothing else just to enjoy the game and not worry about speculation, haha.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a tease like Joker--given Sakurai's statement that they had just started development and it may take a while. Plus, they want the least amount of characters shown at first given the Fighter's Pass model--people are more likely to buy a pass if it's 5 unknowns that could be their characters, rather than 4 unknowns. I know there's probably some in the West who would have thought twice about getting the Fighter's Pass if one was Banjo & Kazooie and the other was Hero at the start--they'd be more 50/50 on it. Having one big one that captures everyone's attention globally is the best marketing decision. And it took a long time before we saw anything of Joker after his initial reveal, as they were working on two characters at the same time and development started immediately after the game was finished. The DLC announcements/releases got closer and closer together as the pass went on, and I expect the same here.

My guess:

- E3 2020: Announcement of #6
- Fall 2020: Release of #6, Announcement of #7
- Spring 2021: Announcement of #8, Release of #7 and #8
- E3 2021: Announcement of #9 and #10, shadow drop #9 (as they originally wanted to do with Hero)
- Fall 2021: Announcement of #11, release of #10 and #11

EDIT:

This is precious and impressive.
This is so beautiful. Love it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Today we lost a legend. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant and his daughter and everyone on that helicopter. This is unreal...
I don't watch NBA but it's very sad news to hear about what happened to Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and everyone else on that helicopter. RIP and God bless their souls.

I know this might not be the right time, but CanadianGuyEh managed to score an interview with Steve Mayles.

The bear and bird are brought up around 15:20.

So, the gist of it is...

-Kazooie was originally just a pair of disembodied feet and wings. :laugh:
-It's true, Nuts & Bolts came about because Rare wanted to do something different than just Threeie. However, that's because doing a proper sequel only felt right with Nintendo.
-Blast Corps would have been a better fit for Nuts & Bolts' concept than BK (which I agree with).
-Yes, he finds it incredible that the duo has been brought to Smash after all this time.
-Steve has mixed feelings over whether BK needs remakes for the duology for an Xbox audience (especially if they're being done by a different dev team, since the duo are his babies), though he acknowledges that whoever does them would need proper big budget to give that and a new game the right treatment.

Also, nice to hear the shout-out for Grabbed By the Ghoulies at the end.

I hope that Krazy sees this.
I've yet to take the time to watch this Steve Mayles interview. I might watch it in a bit if I'm not too tired.

Another Ironic Fun Fact: Rareware was the team behind 1996's Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run on the SNES.
It's ironic because I got this game CIB with the manual and everything at a garage sale down the street from me years ago for $4 bucks. I never even played the game.

I think the next retro and rare character should be battletoads whos with me?
I think it should be Dixie Kong, but I wouldn't argue if it was the Battletoads. :)

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
You know, I thought about something recently. On the surface, Breegull Blaster doesn't seem to have much use outside of racking up damage.

But if you use it in stamina mode...
It's actually pretty good for controlling space and zoning. Having stage control is pretty important for zoners / semizoners, and while Banjo does definitely have some rushdown options too, more options don't hurt at all.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
"Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" has a free demo available out now as of (1/30/20).

I'm sure most of us here already know what the game is about or has owned or played it, But for those who have not, It's 2.5D Platformer from Playtonic Games (Former Rare employees) behind the Donkey Kong Country series and Banjo-Kazooie series.

Not to be confused with their 1st game "Yooka-Laylee" which was a 3D platformer heavily inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, Impossible Lair is more based on the DKC series, Even former Rare composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope have tagged along to score this outing.

I've bought the game physically around the holidays, But yet to have play it because I'm currently catching up on a couple of games at the moment (Pokemon Sword and Luigi's Mansion 3) before I take on this one, Should be able to play it sometime around the Spring. But as huge fan of Rare, Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie I'm really looking forward to playing this one as I have heard nothing ,But good things about it and has drawn many comparisons to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It may not be a the big budget follow up to Tropical Freeze we all have been waiting and hoping for ,But it should be a good stopgap solution until we do get one (Hopefully soon).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" has a free demo available out now as of (1/30/20).

I'm sure most of us here already know what the game is about or has owned or played it, But for those who have not, It's 2.5D Platformer from Playtonic Games (Former Rare employees) behind the Donkey Kong Country series and Banjo-Kazooie series.

Not to be confused with their 1st game "Yooka-Laylee" which was a 3D platformer heavily inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, Impossible Lair is more based on the DKC series, Even former Rare composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope have tagged along to score this outing.

I've bought the game physically around the holidays, But yet to have played because I'm currently catching up on a couple of games at the moment (Pokemon Sword and Luigi's Mansion 3) before I take on this one, Should be able to play it sometime around the Spring. But as huge fan of Rare, Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie I'm really looking forward to playing this one as I have heard nothing ,But good things about it and has drawn many comparisons to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It may not be a the big budget follow up to Tropical Freeze we all have been waiting and hoping for ,But it should be a good stopgap solution until we do get one (Hopefully soon).
Would you say it's better than the original Yooka-Layee or just as meh/alright?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Would you say it's better than the original Yooka-Layee or just as meh/alright?
I actually have yet to play the 1st game, (I know I know) I have been meaning to, But I heavily prefer getting my games physical, But Best Buy is the only retailer that carry's them and is charging $50 for it and for whatever reason they never go on sale probably because their from Limited Run, When I have seen it digitally go as low as around $12-15, So I have been flip flopping between both versions.

Yooka-Laylee has received mainly a mixed to some positive reception, But I still want to play it for obvious reasons, Will it be as good as Banjo-Kazooie? I doubt it, But chances are I will still like and enjoy it.

Impossible Lair has seen a much better reception as majority of the reviews have been very positive and the game has constantly been compared to DKC: Tropical Freeze which is probably my all time favorite 2D platformer, That's high praise, If Impossible Lair is half as good as that masterpiece than I'm sold.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I actually have yet to play the 1st game, (I know I know) I have been meaning to, But I heavily prefer getting my games physical, But Best Buy is the only retailer that carry's them and is charging $50 for it and for whatever reason they never go on sale probably because their from Limited Run, When I have seen it digitally go as low as around $12-15, So I have been flip flopping between both versions.

Yooka-Laylee has received mainly a mixed to some positive reception, But I still want to play it for obvious reasons, Will it be as good as Banjo-Kazooie? I doubt it, But chances are I will still like and enjoy it.

Impossible Lair has seen a much better reception as majority of the reviews have been very positive and the game has constantly been compared to DKC: Tropical Freeze which is probably my all time favorite 2D platformer, That's high praise, If Impossible Lair is half as good as that masterpiece than I'm sold.
I will just say that Yooka-Laylee tried to play like Banjo-Kazooie but had the huge worlds and **** ton of collectables that DK64 had. It wasn't that impressive to me and I would go as far as to say that I like DK64 more and I'm not that big of a DK64 fan as I felt like it was more like a overblown Banjo-Kazooie game more than a DKC game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the topic of DK, what are the chances that we'll get some sort of content tied to the next game in future Ultimate DLC? We know that plans for :ultkrool:have been in the process of being prepared for upcoming projects, shortly after he was revealed.

It would probably also explain why none of Teen!Tiny Kong's artwork has been used in anyway whatsoever despite her younger self being in here, but that's a stretch.

Speaking of which, Krazy drew her recently.

EPdNb51WkAAg54o.png

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I will just say that Yooka-Laylee tried to play like Banjo-Kazooie but had the huge worlds and **** ton of collectables that DK64 had. It wasn't that impressive to me and I would go as far as to say that I like DK64 more and I'm not that big of a DK64 fan as I felt like it was more like a overblown Banjo-Kazooie game more than a DKC game.
I like Yooka-Laylee for what it is. I think people wrongly compare it to Odyssey, a AAA title from an established company, whereas Yooka-Laylee is an indie game from a company that just started. However, that doesn't explain away all of the faults, just the areas that are unpolished, and parts that feel half-baked or incomplete.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Impossible Lair, but one thing I'm not a fan of watching previews is a plethora of quills to collect. It harkens back the criticism Nuts & Bolts alleged of the original games, except the original games wasn't "collect as many useless things as possible." It was simple and every collectable had a purpose. 100 jiggies, 10 in 9 worlds and 1 hub world, 100 notes per world, collecting enough opened new areas. Collect 5 jinjos per world to get a jiggy. There was a plethora of Mumbo Tokens, but the idea wasn't to collect them all, just enough to do magic, and wasn't on the totals screen. And then 2 empty honeycombs per world to expand health and the molehills for moves. That's pretty much it. Rare and Playtonic seem to not understand that more is not better--simplicity is better. Except Yooka-Laylee was simplistic, but in the areas it shouldn't have been--barren areas that have no purpose, only 5 worlds that are "expanded", rather than having a large variety of smaller worlds. I wish those doing Banjo-Kazooie inspired platformers take that to heart. If you're going to make a Threeie or a Yooka-Laylee based off of Banjo-Kazooie, just follow the example it set--10 small worlds where every nook and cranny there's something important to discover.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alrighty, the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 has been purchased; now to wait for the fighters to be released!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
On the topic of DK, what are the chances that we'll get some sort of content tied to the next game in future Ultimate DLC? We know that plans for :ultkrool:have been in the process of being prepared for upcoming projects, shortly after he was revealed.

It would probably also explain why none of Teen!Tiny Kong's artwork has been used in anyway whatsoever despite her younger self being in here, but that's a stretch.

Speaking of which, Krazy drew her recently.

Don't give me hope because if Tiny comes back to the mainline games than Lanky is probably coming back too. I really want to see Lanky return.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't give me hope because if Tiny comes back to the mainline games than Lanky is probably coming back too. I really want to see Lanky return.
At the very least, we know that the series is still going. Who knows when we'll see the next entry though, but it's certain that they'll stop relying on just Retro Studios now that those guys have to do Prime 4.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not gonna lie - after Dixie, Lanky would be my personal choice for a fifth DK rep. Blowgun + Orange Grenades + Handstand shenanigans all day.

Also... is it just me or are the bear and bird slightly faster in this patch? It wasn't in the patch notes, so I thought it could be just me...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At the very least, we know that the series is still going. Who knows when we'll see the next entry though, but it's certain that they'll stop relying on just Retro Studios now that those guys have to do Prime 4.
But I want to see Retro tackle one more DKC game with the Kremlings in it.

Not gonna lie - after Dixie, Lanky would be my personal choice for a fifth DK rep. Blowgun + Orange Grenades + Handstand shenanigans all day.

Also... is it just me or are the bear and bird slightly faster in this patch? It wasn't in the patch notes, so I thought it could be just me...
Now that K. Rool is in Lanky is literally my pipedream DK pick. Dixie I definitely want more but Lanky is literally more of a pipedream than K. Rool ever was because if it has taken this long to get K. Rool and we still don't have Dixie, Funky, and Cranky than imagine how low of a priority Lanky must be for Sakurai to ever be consider for a slot in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As it turns out, we just got evidence that makes the Steve/Banjo feud even more pointless.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._super_smash_bros_ultimates_banjo-kazooie_dlc
Chunky? He's dead. :ultkrool:
He got brought back to the real world, he'll be fine now.

But I want to see Retro tackle one more DKC game with the Kremlings in it.

Now that K. Rool is in Lanky is literally my pipedream DK pick. Dixie I definitely want more but Lanky is literally more of a pipedream than K. Rool ever was because if it has taken this long to get K. Rool and we still don't have Dixie, Funky, and Cranky than imagine how low of a priority Lanky must be for Sakurai to ever be consider for a slot in Smash.
No biggie, just get the fanbase to agree and concentrate more on the remaining Kongs. The fact that only one DKC character at a time gets massive fan support has basically turned inclusions for this series into a chivalric process. If the Geno fanbase doesn't give up despite being a martyrdom at this point, surely we'll stand a chance.

As for Retro, it's rumoured that they might not be involved anyway. Which is probably for the best as some of their design decisions make their games feel a bit distanced (especially DK Island).

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
I like it, very reasonable predictions! I have the same thought that Sora and Geno wouldn't be in the same pass. I guess I never thought of Crash as being more unlikely as a western character, but you have a point. I think if Capcom does show up to FP2 then Dante is a pretty solid choice, though my heart would go for Amaterasu from Okami. (Big surprise there, hah.) I do think Lloyd or other Tales characters have a good shot, so much that I'm legit surprised they didn't show back up for Mii Costumes. Tales of Arise comes out this year but I don't know if they'd go the blatant advertisement route, so I agree with Lloyd being the most likely. If I got to choose an unrealistic pass I would go:
Amaterasu, Sora, Don-chan (Taiko no Tatsujin, Namco game), Chocobo, Spyro, and Bomberman.
I'd take your "unrealistic" pass in a heartbeat! Amaterasu, Chocobo, Spyro, and Bomberman all in one pass? Yes please!
Sora would be good too and would make lots of people happy for sure. I don't know who Don-chan is but I'll gladly take him along with that pass~

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
As it turns out, we just got evidence that makes the Steve/Banjo feud even more pointless.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._super_smash_bros_ultimates_banjo-kazooie_dlc

He got brought back to the real world, he'll be fine now.

No biggie, just get the fanbase to agree and concentrate more on the remaining Kongs. The fact that only one DKC character at a time gets massive fan support has basically turned inclusions for this series into a chivalric process. If the Geno fanbase doesn't give up despite being a martyrdom at this point, surely we'll stand a chance.

As for Retro, it's rumoured that they might not be involved anyway. Which is probably for the best as some of their design decisions make their games feel a bit distanced (especially DK Island).
i'm relief to hear you say that about Chunky.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

:4pacman:Huzzah! A man of quality!
I wonder if anyone has actually sat down & thought of just how much could be done with Lanky's sheer elasticity, amongst other materials from DK64 like firearms, music instruments & animal buddies. I'm confident he'd rival Banjo, Wario & Dedede in sheer wacked-out expressiveness, with squash-n-stretch that'd give Kirby & Jigglypuff a run for their money.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:4pacman:Huzzah! A man of quality!
I wonder if anyone has actually sat down & thought of just how much could be done with Lanky's sheer elasticity, amongst other materials from DK64 like firearms, music instruments & animal buddies. I'm confident he'd rival Banjo, Wario & Dedede in sheer wacked-out expressiveness, with squash-n-stretch that'd give Kirby & Jigglypuff a run for their money.
"He has no style, he has no grace! This Kong has a funny face! He can handstand, when he needs to and stretch his arms out, just for you! Inflate himself, just like a balloon, this crazy Kong just digs this tune! Huh!"

Lanky would be amazing as he has so much moveset potential that would be off the wall.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One concept I occasionally dance around with in my head is the following, regardless of how unfeasible it seems:

Tiny, Lanky and Chunky coming in a trio format, using the Tag Barrel to swap between them.

It'd be the most practical way to include them while still saving up menu space at the same time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
One concept I occasionally dance around with in my head is the following, regardless of how unfeasible it seems:

Tiny, Lanky and Chunky coming in a trio format, using the Tag Barrel to swap between them.

It'd be the most practical way to include them while still saving up menu space at the same time.
I think the Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky coming in with the Tag Barrel conspect would be safer and easier than the tag team conspect Sakurai originally had for both Diddy and Dixie in Brawl. Reason I say this is because there would only be one Kong on the screen at a time with the Tag Barrel instead of two with the Diddy & Dixie tag team conspect. The conspect of the Tag Barrel would somewhat be like Pokemon Trainer in a way. I would be all up for it if it means we get Lanky. But I highly doubt in a million years that conspect will become a reality in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky coming in with the Tag Barrel conspect would be safer and easier than the tag team conspect Sakurai originally had for both Diddy and Dixie in Brawl. Reason I say this is because there would only be one Kong on the screen at a time with the Tag Barrel instead of two with the Diddy & Dixie tag team conspect. The conspect of the Tag Barrel would somewhat be like Pokemon Trainer in a way. I would be all up for it if it means we get Lanky. But I highly doubt in a million years that conspect will become a reality in Smash.
Yeah, but you never know. Stranger things have happened, and the alternative wouldn't help much anyway (waiting 20 years for the DK Krew to be complete). In the meantime a new DK game reveal would help, but it's the waiting game until then.

I'm open to Smash changing up its habits a bit, something a lot of fans are against even about getting more DLC than last time.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, but you never know. Stranger things have happened, and the alternative wouldn't help much anyway (waiting 20 years for the DK Krew to be complete).
I think it will take longer than that honestly for the DK krew to finally be complete in Smash. Honestly, I'll just be satisfied with DK representation in the roster if we ever get Dixie Kong. She is literally the last core DK character not in Smash yet. We got DK the protagonist, Diddy the co-protagonist, and K. Rool the main antagonist. All we are really missing is the heroine Dixie in terms of the main players in the DK franchise. DK would basically be like Mario during Melee when Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach all finally got in together.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it will take longer than that honestly for the DK krew to finally be complete in Smash. Honestly, I'll just be satisfied with DK representation in the roster if we ever get Dixie Kong. She is literally the last core DK character not in Smash yet. We got DK the protagonist, Diddy the co-protagonist, and K. Rool the main antagonist. All we are really missing is the heroine Dixie in terms of the main players in the DK franchise. DK would basically be like Mario during Melee when Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach all finally got in together.
She is at least kept in mind with the Mii hat. Even if we don't get her this game by the end of DLC support, she's a shoo-in for next time. :ultkrool:

To think I had to wait one more game to finally see :ultwario: in here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
She is at least kept in mind with the Mii hat. Even if we don't get her this game by the end of DLC support, she's a shoo-in for next time. :ultkrool:

To think I had to wait one more game to finally see :ultwario: in here.
Her and Funky definitely both seem like locks for Smash 6, but nothing is really guaranteed. Funky seems like easy Echo material and I was surprise they didn't put him into Ultimate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom