• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to derail the topic again, but even if most of you do have a Disability I have to say you'd have to tell me that again because at first glance I see literally nothing wrong with you guys, not to be offensive or anything but most of you blend in pretty well.

Anyway, Back on Topic, is that 5 hour Maintenance period going on? Pretty sure we'll see Hero soon.
I don't mind. I have aspergers, though I still don't have a perfect grasp on socialization, I try to fit in. Though I certainly do it better than some people on this board that I won't name here.

Also, when did you hear about maintenance? The plot just thickened, and I'd want to quote you outside of this thread in regards to this. Edit: Oh, never mind, it got posted.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
July 22nd on the eShop huh? Then that is when Hero possibly drops! Just hope they won't take this long with Banjo & Kazooie!
This may not be the Hero topic, but they'd better not release Hero during maintenance. You guys all know how that happened with Joker, right?

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I can see Banjo releasing sometime September/October. I'm gonna guess October, but no later than that since we've still got 2 more fighters to be revealed and then released before the end of February.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
bAnjO iS a LiTErAlLy wHo iN JapAn

First Japanese game store I visit:
E5B12C72-D70B-46CB-8F20-9AAA1A6E95E5.jpeg

Edit: no idea why the image is flipped lol

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yep. It got me upset that it happened. I assumed a jealous Sony fanboy did it to stop us from getting Joker. Lol
Maybe it was a Sony fan posing as a Nintendo employee who suggested the maintenance be done alongside Joker's release. In other words, a spy. :troll:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
The hilarious irony is that haters wouldn't need to go far, an Internet search on Gamefaqs is all that's needed to find out the games came out in Japan.
It was the same with K. Rool and how “DK series isn’t cared about in Japan” despite K. Rool coming first in Japanese Ballot fan polls. I heard many detractors suggest this before his reveal.

For whatever reason some people assume if the developers of a game are not Japanese, then the game will not be loved in Japan. It’s dead stupid.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Banjo-Kazooie was probably a cult favorite in Japan, something like Invader Zim or Donnie Darko here in the States. A tad obscure from mainstream but having a decent, respectable following of devoted fans. I mean, let's be honest, do we truly know what's it's like to born and raised and exposed to various types of media, growing up in Japan? I don't. I do know things that are generally considered "good" though tend to have a universal appeal and Banjo-Kazooie fits that's bill for me, so I can see fans all over.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I always thought Banjo-Kazooie was probably a cult favorite in Japan, something like Invader Zim or Donnie Darko here in the States. A tad obscure from mainstream but having a decent, respectable following of devoted fans. I mean, let's be honest, do we truly know what's it's like to born and raised and exposed to various types of media, growing up in Japan? I don't. I do know things that are generally considered "good" though tend to have a universal appeal and Banjo-Kazooie fits that's bill for me, so I can see fans all over.
There are probably Minecraft fans over there that are upset over it though. Lol

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Since Banjo and Kazooie are finally in Smash, I never have to resist the urge of typing a 4,000 word essay to every Jane and Jerry who owl about why they are known and liked in Japan by a decent number of gamers and provide a bunch of sources. Good too because it's one of my least favorite things trying to prove foreign media perception to people who can't read Japanese.

I'll only bring up one thing again. Buzzfeed Japan constantly has N64 articles because N64 nostalgia is at an all time high. Buzzfeed also likes clickbait and very safe contents. Banjo Kazooie feature in every damn one of those articles. If Banjo and Kazooie can be used for nostalgia pandering clickbait in Japan, surely that alone is enough to prove they are remembered. Again not as much as English regions, but still they are N64 icons. And no matter if N64 was barely keeping pace with the Saturn in Japan, its a Nintendo console. The most mainstream company imaginable. Every console of theirs is throughly remembered and enjoyed by tens of thousands of retro enthusuasts every year in Japan and all 3 Rareware platformers were in the top 30 N64 games sold in Japan based on Famitsu sales reports. The majority remembers the same 10-20 N64 games anyway, and Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, and Banjo-Tooie, are in most lists of favorite N64 games I see from Japanese people. Much of K Rool's popularity is from his DK64 appearance, why would Banjo be any different? It's the same company, on the same console using the same gameplay, aesthetics, and engine. I know most people can't use Japanese internet, but I always feel frustrated having to explain something so obvious. Never again though, popularity arguements are dead in this thread!:ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I never said he was a no-name there, but does that really prove anything other than Banjo was sold in Japan?
And I never said I was targeting you my guy.

I’m not trying to make a grandiose point either, other than finding it both funny and cool that upon visiting Japan, I don’t struggle to find the games in stores despite people trying to make comparisons with Banjo in Japan being the same as DQ reception in the West. People baselessly painting a narrative that few in Japan are familiar with them.

It also ignores Banjo scoring high on Japanese ballot polls among anything else. Just a pet peeve of mine.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And I never said I was targeting you my guy.
Well first, not a guy, and second, was qualifying my question with the fact that I agreed he wasn't a "literal who". No need to get bent out of shape.

I’m not trying to make a grandiose point either, other than finding it both funny and cool that upon visiting Japan, I don’t struggle to find the games in stores despite people trying to make comparisons with Banjo in Japan being the same as DQ reception in the West. People baselessly painting a narrative that few in Japan are familiar with them.
I have no contention with the stance that Banjo actually was notable in Japan, I just don't think finding his game in a store helps validate that belief. I mean, a lot of second-hand game stores in Japan even have an Xbox section, and that's barely a thing there. It's cool that you saw it, I just don't think it means anything past the fact that Banjo does indeed exist in Japan.

Plus, fwiw, it's not particularly difficult finding Dragon Quest games here in the west either.

D

Deleted member

Banjo’s well recognized among Nintendo fans in Japan. Pretty much all of them know who he is, especially if they grew up with an N64. However, you have to remember that the 64 didn’t do so well, especially in Japan, so in the grand scheme of things, he’s not THAT popular, but among Nintendo fans, and Smash fans (of the older generation), yes. Kids have no idea who he is though (obviously), well, actually, NOW they do, thanks to Smash, but prior to, they had no idea, they were like “Donkey Kong?”

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo’s well recognized among Nintendo fans in Japan. Pretty much all of them know who he is, especially if they grew up with an N64. However, you have to remember that the 64 didn’t do so well, especially in Japan, so in the grand scheme of things, he’s not THAT popular, but among Nintendo fans, and Smash fans (of the older generation), yes. Kids have no idea who he is though (obviously), well, actually, NOW they do, thanks to Smash, but prior to, they had no idea, they were like “Donkey Kong?”
General rule of thumb--more popular in Japan than Banjo-haters think, less popular in Japan than Banjo-fans think. :chuckle:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Well first, not a guy, and second, was qualifying my question with the fact that I agreed he wasn't a "literal who". No need to get bent out of shape.

I have no contention with the stance that Banjo actually was notable in Japan, I just don't think finding his game in a store helps validate that belief. I mean, a lot of second-hand game stores in Japan even have an Xbox section, and that's barely a thing there. It's cool that you saw it, I just don't think it means anything past the fact that Banjo does indeed exist in Japan.

Plus, fwiw, it's not particularly difficult finding Dragon Quest games here in the west either.
I think you’re being overly confrontational on a light hearted post. Especially if we both agree he isn’t a ‘literal who’.

As I said, I wasn’t trying to ‘wow’ you lot with a fresh, objective, take. I just shared one of the first things I saw in a game store in the relevant forum cause it amused me.

So don't tell anyone I told you this, but a disgruntled Nintendo employee "accidentally" leaked Banjo Kazooie last month. There was a video, gameplay, and everything. There's also a new Grant Kirkhope remix. All of it shown on the exact time and day of the direct. If you can look closely, you can see them on the website. You can't click on them, however. They even had the gall to hack Smashboards and make them part of the official character discussion. Who would believe it!

Whoever leaked them is gonna get fired. I hope the Nintendo Ninjas are merciful. Apparently, his name is Mashpotato Samurai.
Nah man, it's all a big hoax. Either that or you had a very, very vivid dream.

1563450588792.png 1563450600897.png
sketch-1560347661890.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.03.24 pm.png

No chance, there are just too many barriers, they aren't iconic and no one remembers Kanjo Bazooie enough to warrant a place in Smash.

Attachments

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Good news, they're coming out with blue and yellow joy cons, which go good for a Banjo-Kazooie theme. Bad news, I already got another pair of joy cons just a few days ago because they're crap, and all my joycons drift, despite being a $70 investment.

Nintendo, I love you, but I also hate you. It's complicated.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Good news, they're coming out with blue and yellow joy cons, which go good for a Banjo-Kazooie theme. Bad news, I already got another pair of joy cons just a few days ago because they're crap, and all my joycons drift, despite being a $70 investment.

Nintendo, I love you, but I also hate you. It's complicated.
My launch day joycons are starting to act up a bit (haven't noticed drift but they don't snap as well onto my switch as they used to) and by god those new joycon colors are tempting me so bad. But on the other hand I already have 2 pairs of joycons, do I really need another pair?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My launch day joycons are starting to act up a bit (haven't noticed drift but they don't snap as well onto my switch as they used to) and by god those new joycon colors are tempting me so bad. But on the other hand I already have 2 pairs of joycons, do I really need another pair?
Yeah, it's a conundrum. I have that snapping issue too, but since it's not just one joycon, but multiple, I'm not sure if it's the joycons or my Switch. I have switched joycons to my blue/red pair and haven't had the same issues as my pink/green pair. That's an issue I've found even less online about.

Another quality remix by Qumu:

Love the tuba in the background and the flute part that starts in the middle of the song.

And a live performance from a Spanish band covering Spiral Mountain:

That Sax! Tremendous!

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's a conundrum. I have that snapping issue too, but since it's not just one joycon, but multiple, I'm not sure if it's the joycons or my Switch. I have switched joycons to my blue/red pair and haven't had the same issues as my pink/green pair. That's an issue I've found even less online about.
Yeah it's weird, my launch joycons keep having that issue but the gray pair I bought like a month afterwards is perfectly fine

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah it's weird, my launch joycons keep having that issue but the gray pair I bought like a month afterwards is perfectly fine
Yeah, it's just weird that they make the joycons appear to be cheaply made (easily able to break/dirty to become unplayable), and make dozens of colors, with very few affordable means of actually mix-matching, while being $70-$80. They'd say that a single joycon is a fully functional controller, $10 cheaper than a normal one, and I'd say the form factor is terrible for being used as a single controller, and I really only do so when I am forced to (e.g., Mario Party, Pokemon).

D

Deleted member

Based on the page picture and amount of signatures alone, I'd say this is a 4chan troll instead of an actual Minecraft fan.
Hopefully.

A petition such as that can't be done with serious intentions unless you are a mad person.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
*looks at page*

That’s a fake Steve fan.

I’m a Steve fan and can verify.
Well, glad you are a Steve fan and not a Steve troll.

And I am rooting for Steve right next to you! I don't hate Minecraft, never did, just hated the fact Nintendo would put in another character like...her...in there. But now, I hope we get great Minecraft content!

Last edited:
Top Bottom