• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I wish Nintendo would simply buy the rights to Banjo-Kazooie from Rare. I think Nintendo would treat the characters better and putting them in Smash would be a good way to gauge interest in the characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wish Nintendo would simply buy the rights to Banjo-Kazooie from Rare. I think Nintendo would treat the characters better and putting them in Smash would be a good way to gauge interest in the characters.
Companies don’t just sell IPs like that unfortunately. The only way we’d even get close is if Microsoft decided to get rid of Rare, and even then I think they’d retain the IPs anyway.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
would be nice but Nintendo really doesnt need the IP. They have a fairly popular 3d platformer mascot already. IMO, the only way we'd see a Banjo revival would be if it was for Switch/Xbox. Micro would want to cash in on the Switch's popularity and audience with IP not really suited for Xbox One

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure a different dev would be used for outsourcing, like for Battletoads' upcoming game.
God I hope the new Battletoads plays and looks great, and the character designs for Rash, Zitz, Pimple, Dark Queen and some of the other villains are mostly intact.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I apologize if I was a bit too harsh with my cynicism. It's just really hard to have hope when it feels like we've been burned every year. I mean the last game was in 2008 and that felt like a kick in the face.

I was just quoting the devs on that, sorry if there was any confusion. I haven't played A Hat in Time (I'm waiting for the Switch port lol). Definitely looking forward to that.

EDIT: Where's the "Insert Quote" button on the post editor. Sorry I don't post here that often. :(

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's like five days later and I'm still getting "boomer" memes from Steve trolls on Twitter.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
It’s been said before and it should be said again, just because Rare doesn’t care much about remaking Banjo/making a new game, doesn’t mean we won’t get one from somebody else. Microsoft already gave Killer Instinct and Battletoads to others.

Imagine if they gave Hat in Time devs Banjo? That would be dope.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
She would be easy to add, but I think it was between her and K Rool and the former simply won out due to being a heavy villain which the game could have used more of.
Which hurts even more. If Dixie could be an echo (and it's an if, after Isabelle and Ken I have no clue what counts as an echo), it makes no sense to go with one or the other with K Rool and Dixie. Metroid got Ridley and Dark Samus--a third Samus--that was probably for the fans as I, and many, hadn't heard of Dark Samus outside of Smash speculation. And given how much of the character is not in the echo, really doesn't differentiate herself unless you're a hardcore fan that can pick up those minor details. Dixie is probably more well known by a casual audience, yet Metroid gets 2 reps this game and DK only gets 1? I've been satisfied by every Smash roster (new character wise) right up until Ultimate, where none of the decisions made sense..

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
They both showed off and emphasized new features of Smash 4 with regards to customization. Palutena showed off custom moves for main characters (she was the most special one in Smash 4 by a wide margin in the variety of alternate customs she had) and the Mii fighters helped to reveal the bigger elements of anybody in Smash back when Mii’s were a bigger deal (plus, the Iwata/Reggie trailer really fits particularly well at E3). Plus, the Mii’s were natural transition into Amiibo. All of the E3 2014 Smash coverage was real focused on features, which is how someone like Pac-Man ends up not on the main presentation.
Yep and that customization stuff turned out to be a wash from what I hear. I haven't played Smash 4 outside of that one time a few lab partners snuck their 3DSs to school, but if what I heard about the grind for all the customs was anything to go by, it makes the Hema clan research in Warframe look tolerable (dunno if this is an understatement or an overstatement since, again, never played 4). Ah dammit, now I'm drudging up memories of having to get that piece of crap researched.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Can someone delete my previous post please? Still a noob to this format.

Anyway, I'm honestly am surprised Dixie wasn't an echo. Just change Diddy's model, a few new taunts, and a couple different special moves.

Honestly, I feel there wasn't enough done with the echo concept in general. Not only is it missing some more obvious ones like Dixie and Shadow, but around half of them have next to no notable differences behind them.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which hurts even more. If Dixie could be an echo (and it's an if, after Isabelle and Ken I have no clue what counts as an echo), it makes no sense to go with one or the other with K Rool and Dixie. Metroid got Ridley and Dark Samus--a third Samus--that was probably for the fans as I, and many, hadn't heard of Dark Samus outside of Smash speculation. And given how much of the character is not in the echo, really doesn't differentiate herself unless you're a hardcore fan that can pick up those minor details. Dixie is probably more well known by a casual audience, yet Metroid gets 2 reps this game and DK only gets 1? I've been satisfied by every Smash roster (new character wise) right up until Ultimate, where none of the decisions made sense..
The only consistent thing with echoes is they share the exact same body proportions. That's... pretty much it. Everything else is observations. Apparently Sakurai treats Ken like an outlier, as in he's not your typical kind of Echo. So who knows.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's like five days later and I'm still getting "boomer" memes from Steve trolls on Twitter.
The funny thing is, I feel like the idea that Steve has to be in Smash feels like a boomer going "those darn kids these days, all they wanna do is play that mining and crafting game, oughta send them into the real coal mines."

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The funny thing is, I feel like the idea that Steve has to be in Smash feels like a boomer going "those darn kids these days, all they wanna do is play that mining and crafting game, oughta send them into the real coal mines."
If they ever got sent to real mines, they'd be in for hard work, and danger, as it is nothing like Minecraft.

But you all knew that. Still, see if they'd think mining would be fun if they got sent to real mines.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really have no clue what you’re trying to say here...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Jontron has nothing to do with this thread. It's off-topic entirely. If it was a video related to Smash speculation that Banjo was in, it might be on-topic. But it's not.

I am also removing the relating posts since they're off-topic.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Jontron has nothing to do with this thread. It's off-topic entirely. If it was a video related to Smash speculation that Banjo was in, it might be on-topic. But it's not.

I am sorry for, well, at least quoting that post. I didn't want any trouble, I just made it before you said that, and I wasn't trying to add to the discussion, I was just trying to clairifying something to one of the users, if you don't mind. I hope I am not in trouble.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Thank you and sorry I had to mini-mod a bit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am sorry for, well, at least quoting that post. I didn't want any trouble, I just made it before you said that, and I wasn't trying to add to the discussion, I was just trying to clairifying something to one of the users, if you don't mind. I hope I am not in trouble.
The point is to remove all parts relating to it.

Now, let's move on.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
:ultmario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultjoker:
Now all we need is Banjo Kazooie and this all star line up will be complete!
I'm still of the mindset the Fighter Pass will consist of only third party characters, only because its been said the characters will all be characters not represented beforehand in Smash, as well as having a stage and music to go with them. Other than maybe Rhythm Heaven, I can't think of any other first & second party newcomers who could bring a new universe/stage/music with them. So hopefully whichever third party characters we get will have some substantial history with Nintendo. And of course the biggest third-party choice that has substantial history with Nintendo are Banjo & Kazooie.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to point out that Dark Samus was pretty highly requested and Sakurai even mentioned that in her announcement with Chrom. Most people thought she was more likely than Ridley because of the "Ridley is too big" meme, but as we all know now they were both super likely for Ultimate. Also Dark Samus and Ridley were the only two Metroid characters people actually wanted in Smash.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I apologize if I was a bit too harsh with my cynicism. It's just really hard to have hope when it feels like we've been burned every year. I mean the last game was in 2008 and that felt like a kick in the face.

I was just quoting the devs on that, sorry if there was any confusion. I haven't played A Hat in Time (I'm waiting for the Switch port lol). Definitely looking forward to that.

EDIT: Where's the "Insert Quote" button on the post editor. Sorry I don't post here that often. :(
I'm sure most of us knew you weren't trying to be cynical, just pointing something out about the developers. I do hope you enjoy A Hat in Time though and if I recall the switch version will have the Seal the Deal DLC which is a lot of fun...and really difficult.

I hope that if we do get a new banjo game i hope its from another studio, I've lost all faith in new rare. My biggest hope is Retro Studios but I know they are busy with Metriod Prime 4.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There are others I want more, and there are a few others up there too (like Toad and a fourth Kirby rep) but I can't see a Smash CSS as "complete" without Dixie.
Same here. Ultimate's roster would truly feel Ultimate or complete if Dixie somehow manages to get in, which I highly doubt. It sucks, but it looks like Dixie isn't going to be in this game's roster.

Companies don’t just sell IPs like that unfortunately. The only way we’d even get close is if Microsoft decided to get rid of Rare, and even then I think they’d retain the IPs anyway.
Microsoft knows about the goldmine that is Rare's IPs and they ain't giving it away even if another Rare game never comes out again. They will always keep a goldmine, even if they just sit on it.

God I hope the new Battletoads plays and looks great, and the character designs for Rash, Zitz, Pimple, Dark Queen and some of the other villains are mostly intact.
E3 is going to be so hyped. Even without Smash, it's going to be a exciting show this year.

Metroid only got 2 new reps over DK because Dark Samus is a Echo and Echos only take 1/6 of the development time a fully unique character does. Sakurai probably thought Dixie was too unique to be made into a Echo Fighter and that is why she probably didn't make it in because a 2nd unique DK rep wasn't a top priority for this game.

:ultmario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultjoker:
Now all we need is Banjo Kazooie and this all star line up will be complete!
It won't be complete without Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Master Chief, Sora, Bomberman, Lora Croft, Kratos, ect, ect. There are so many gaming icons left to add to Smash.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm sure most of us knew you weren't trying to be cynical, just pointing something out about the developers. I do hope you enjoy A Hat in Time though and if I recall the switch version will have the Seal the Deal DLC which is a lot of fun...and really difficult.

I hope that if we do get a new banjo game i hope its from another studio, I've lost all faith in new rare. My biggest hope is Retro Studios but I know they are busy with Metriod Prime 4.
Not to mention those rumors of the Prime Trilogy on Switch

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice

A Nintendo first party company developing a game for Xbox sounds pretty unlikely tbh. I can more see Playtonic with oversight from Gregg Mayles. Sure, Yooka Laylee was pretty mediocre, but I think that was more to do with indie budget, time constraints, and missing one of the main creator's input (Gregg). Maybe lesser emphasis on the latter since he was in charge of Nuts and Bolts, but y'all get what I mean.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It won't be complete without Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Master Chief, Sora, Bomberman, Lora Croft, Kratos, ect, ect. There are so many gaming icons left to add to Smash.
Not to crap on anyone's fave, but there are icons and then there are icons. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (not necessarily in that order) are A-tier, Ryu, Simon, and arguably Cloud are B-tier, and everyone else is a shade of C-tier. A character like Kratos may be fun in Smash, but doesn't seem like a good fit for the sort of game that it is. Not every popular character that's sold a lot of games this past decade really feels like a "Smash character."

If Banjo were to be added, I'd call him a B-tier on the same level as Cloud. But he feels more like a "Smash character" to me that even some first-party characters that have gotten in as of Smash 4 and Ultimate.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Not to crap on anyone's fave, but there are icons and then there are icons. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (not necessarily in that order) are A-tier, Ryu, Simon, and arguably Cloud are B-tier, and everyone else is a shade of C-tier. A character like Kratos may be fun in Smash, but doesn't seem like a good fit for the sort of game that it is. Not every popular character that's sold a lot of games this past decade really feels like a "Smash character."

If Banjo were to be added, I'd call him a B-tier on the same level as Cloud. But he feels more like a "Smash character" to me that even some first-party characters that have gotten in as of Smash 4 and Ultimate.
I'd call Crash A-Tier, he was the big boy of Sony at one point.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I dunno, Crash is good but he really doesn't feel like he belongs in a lineup next to Pac-Man and Mega Man. This could be my bias talking, but I think Sonic is the last of the truly great video game mascots. Banjo could've been another, if Rare and Microsoft hadn't put him in extended hibernation.

EDIT: Forgot about Pikachu. But I'm talking characters that are the face of a company. Pikachu is more strongly associated with Nintendo than even Game Freak or TPC.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Ryu is monumentally more significant, successful, influential and well known than Mega Man. As is Crash.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I dunno, Crash is good but he really doesn't feel like he belongs in a lineup next to Pac-Man and Mega Man. This could be my bias talking, but I think Sonic is the last of the truly great video game mascots. Banjo could've been another, if Rare and Microsoft hadn't put him in extended hibernation.

EDIT: Forgot about Pikachu. But I'm talking characters that are the face of a company. Pikachu is more strongly associated with Nintendo than even Game Freak or TPC.
Crash was outselling both Mario & Sonic in the late-90's. He's just as big of a name as Mega Man really.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Crash is the king of late 90s era mascots.

Banjo’s games were just better and has more of a relationship to Nintendo

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ryu is monumentally more significant, successful, influential and well known than Mega Man. As is Crash.
The former, maybe. But as someone pointed out a few pages back, Mega Man has always been the "face" of Capcom. He's their Mario or their Mickey Mouse. It's not for nothing that he got into Smash first, with a ton of fanfare, and Ryu snuck in quietly later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Ryu. Street Fighter II is one of the biggest things ever in gaming. But some things are a matter of optics and nothing else.

Crash was outselling both Mario & Sonic in the late-90's. He's just as big of a name as Mega Man really.
It's not all about sales numbers.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy in a week we may see Rare Replay confirmed for Switch. It's even crazier we may also have Banjo and Kazooie in the best fighting game crossover of all time.

Anyone else struggling to keep their expectations in check? :laugh:

Top Bottom