• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I know where 7 pages into the 500s now, but I want to say how awesome it is for this thread to reach 500 pages! Ever since Ultimate came out, this thread picked up steam on activity and it's one of the few active threads of speculation that I'm a part of. As a huge B-K fan, it feels great to see Banjo & Kazooie get much more attention among the general crowd. I know years ago, even though I still really wanted them in, that their chances weren't good back over 10 years ago. And now I feel confident that they'll get in this time just like K. Rool last August. Of course, I still remain cautiously optimistic until these two are confirmed. Banjo's chances are better than they have ever and E3 feels like a grand stage for our bear and bird to make their homecoming special.
She would be easy to add, but I think it was between her and K Rool and the former simply won out due to being a heavy villain which the game could have used more of.
She would be easy based on her similar size and build to Diddy, but her golden hair alone makes her completely unique. I hope Dixie gets more support once Banjo is in because she is one of the few characters that is truly missing in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
She doesn't "need" to be original. It's just one valid way of doing it. Her taking DK's Up B but otherwise being an echo of Diddy still works, as they have the right bodyframes and all. She could even be an echo of DK, really. She has the same proportions(body type) as well, making it pretty easy to work with.

Who knows why she isn't in yet. Sakurai could still be clinging to "must have a partner thing", which would explain her absence. Smash 4 had partner-characters as impossible, and King K. Rool is far easier to create than a double character. As noted, the votes for Rool outweighed hers, so she was just lower priority. Maybe he feels like Diddy is enough for the smaller DK playstyle. It could be an arbitrary reason that we're not thinking of. I still want her in, Echo or not.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I honestly was expecting a Dixie Kong Echoe/Semi-Clone back in the August Direct when King K. Rool was unveiled, Around halfway during the direct when they were showing off items/weapons the first item if I'm not mistaken was the Banana gun and the scene had DK and Diddy in it and I was expecting Dixie Kong to appear at that moment ,But unfortunatly that wasn't the case, But getting K. Rool at the end more than made up for it.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's just been bad circumstances for Dixie, one after another.

Brawl: Was actually planned to be included alongside Diddy as part of a tag team gimmick, similar to DKC2. Was cut due to technical limitations.

Smash 4: The roster was locked down in early 2012 and was heavily focused on games that were prominent on the Wii and 3DS at the time (Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Fire Emblem Awakening, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, etc). Donkey Kong Country Returns was the most recent mainline DK game released at the time and it only featured Donkey and Diddy, and thus neither K. Rool nor Dixie were made priorities.

Ultimate: K. Rool was more popular on the ballot, and there wasn't room for two non-echo DK newcomers with such a small lineup this time around.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm in the mindset that this might be the last Smash for several characters due to the exhaustion they had getting the 75+ in the roster and the chances of a reboot being possible (plus, the 'Everyone is here' can be seen as the last hurrah).

Right now I just like having characters in here, echo or not. Throw as many bodies into this roster as you can. 10 more characters but their all echoes? Fine. Whatever's easier. Pad out the roster and franchises. Give F-Zero another character with Ganondorf's old moveset. Add Impa even if she's similar to Sheik. Make Alph separate. Give Yoshi Boshi. Give Dixie a Diddy layout with DK's Up B. Add Celica has a Robin runoff. Make Doc Louis a heavier Little Mac. Put in Ninten. Make Jeff Andonuts like Snake.

Add Banjo. Add Mumbo. Add Erdrick. Add Geno. Add Zack Faire. Add Jill Valentine. Add Leon. Add Tails. Add Isaac. Add Jeanne. Add Protoman. Add Mrs Pacman. Add Black Mage. Add Crono. Add Ray the Flying Squirrel WHY the hell not?!

........I apologize for sounding a......TAD greedy.

Honestly, I don't need Smash 6. I wouldn't care if they kept adding content and characters to Ultimate throughout the whole Switch life cycle.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Now that Xboxs E3 is only a week away, I'm starting to get hype. Even if we see no new Banjo game, I want to learn more about Halo Infinite and BattleToads. Things are looking bright for us!

volbound1700

Smash Master
It is funny how the DKC and Banjo fanbase is related. Rare and Retro should do a crossover platformer between the two.

I am a huge fan of Dixie Kong joining as well as Banjo.

I am thinking now that the only way Banjo doesn't make it is if Microsoft doesn't appear at all in the game or they specifically request that Nintendo provide a different character. I know people are high on Steve and he would be alright rep but I don't think he brings the hype that Banjo would bring. The only other Microsoft character that could bring more hype is Masterchief.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, this is it. One week from our endgame.

If not now, then never. It's E3 or bust.
Even if Banjo isn't announced, and another MS rep also isn't, remember that Cloud was announced in a random Nintendo Direct.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Even if Banjo isn't announced, and another MS rep also isn't, remember that Cloud was announced in a random Nintendo Direct.
Chances would drastically drop considering it goes beyond branding/franchise crossover, its a console company crossover that would point towards both parties being present for such an event.

A random direct won't cut it for this announcement, albeit not an impossibility.

Either way, put a line through your hopes and dreams if it doesn't happen at any point this year, but E3 is where one would expect it to happen.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
It is funny how the DKC and Banjo fanbase is related. Rare and Retro should do a crossover platformer between the two.

I am a huge fan of Dixie Kong joining as well as Banjo.

I am thinking now that the only way Banjo doesn't make it is if Microsoft doesn't appear at all in the game or they specifically request that Nintendo provide a different character. I know people are high on Steve and he would be alright rep but I don't think he brings the hype that Banjo would bring. The only other Microsoft character that could bring more hype is Masterchief.
Its cause DK and Banjo are in the same world, have the same enemies/characters, and have very similar character design (obv thanks to Rare). Theyre just both platforming legends

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
If it's gonna happen, E3 would be the time. I have a feeling theres going to be a bit of Nintendo/Micro love going on. For me, if Banjo isn't announced at E3 i see his chances of getting in drastically lowered.

Megex

Smash Rookie
If it's gonna happen, E3 would be the time. I have a feeling theres going to be a bit of Nintendo/Micro love going on. For me, if Banjo isn't announced at E3 i see his chances of getting in drastically lowered.
Last character probably is gonna be announced at The Game Awards 2019. That could be another one.

andree123

Smash Ace
Last character probably is gonna be announced at The Game Awards 2019. That could be another one.
If we didn't get one at the game awards, maybe we could get a announcement of the last character when the 4th one is released just like how Cloud was released in December 2015 along with the announcement of Corrin and Bayonetta coming in Febuary 2016.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
While I agree that E3 will be the best time to reveal a character like Banjo, don't lose hope if he doesn't show up. Remember that Cloud was dropped during a random Direct and Joker was revealed at the Game Awards. It's not over until Sakurai sings.

I still feel that the stars are aligning for Banjo this time. I'm cautiously optimistic, more so than I've ever been for him, but I'm still hyping responsibly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I agree that E3 will be the best time to reveal a character like Banjo, don't lose hope if he doesn't show up. Remember that Cloud was dropped during a random Direct and Joker was revealed at the Game Awards. It's not over until Sakurai sings.

I still feel that the stars are aligning for Banjo this time. I'm cautiously optimistic, more so than I've ever been for him, but I'm still hyping responsibly.
Yes, it's all a matter of timing of which character gets enough completed to show off first. While some noteworthy characters had been shown at E3 before, in one year we had :ultpalutena: and the :ultmiifighters:. Big characters at big events aren't necessarily a guarantee.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It isn't over till its over, but I'll breathe much easier if they get revealed at E3 instead of having to wait in agony to know if they made it into Smash or not, which I believe also is the most opportune time for them to be revealed.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Right now I have my hopes set at a port of Rare Replay for Switch as the big "Bring back Banjo" thing from the Cable Guys twitter, as in bringing them back to Nintendo consoles for the first time since 2003. Even if that doesn't happen we're still getting new merch which is great.

Last edited:

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
These "revelations" sound great, but the Grinch Leak has made me not believe any leaks anymore. Furthermore, there's been many times we've seen "hints" for BK and hope for it each year. Yet nothing ever happens. I've kind of given up. Plus the higher ups at Rare pretty much said recently that they have no interest in making it and to play A Hat in Time instead. https://youtu.be/KRqkP6bQDDI

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong crossover, I always loved the references they did in each others games, Here's a couple of the beta ones from both Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64.

Banjo-Kazooie's Beta Portait before it got replaced by Tooty.
Banjo-Kazooie_beta_DK.gif

Donkey Kong 64 Treehouse shower with BK on the side.
DK64_beta_BK.jpg

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Dixie, Ganon, and Banjo used to be my three most-wanted newcomers, in that order (at least since the August Direct confirmed King K. Rool), but now, I think I may move Banjo to the top of the pile. Honestly, he used to be one of my all-time favorite video game characters and the only reason I cooled on him and Kazooie is that I didn't seriously expect to see them again. Now that the tides appear to be changing for the first time in forever, my hype train is going off the rails and may require a Mumbo Jumbo levitation spell to put it back on the tracks.

Not to pivot too hard but I think y'all are way too pessimistic about Google theory. Yes, the Grinch hoax looked super real and it hurt our hearts when it turned out to be a bust, but it's pretty unscientific to assume all credible leaks are fake because of that. Especially since Google theory has more going for it than the Grinch thing ever did.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong crossover, I always loved the references they did in each others games, Here's a couple of the beta ones from both Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64.

Banjo-Kazooie's Beta Portait before it got replaced by Tooty.
View attachment 225591

Donkey Kong 64 Treehouse shower with BK on the side.
View attachment 225592
If a BK remake ends up on switch, itd be real cool if they put the DK portrait back in

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
These "revelations" sound great, but the Grinch Leak has made me not believe any leaks anymore. Furthermore, there's been many times we've seen "hints" for BK and hope for it each year. Yet nothing ever happens. I've kind of given up. Plus the higher ups at Rare pretty much said recently that they have no interest in making it and to play A Hat in Time instead. https://youtu.be/KRqkP6bQDDI
Eww... I don't think we need that kind of negativity in our Banjo Kazooie fandom

ze9

Smash Ace
E3's Smash announcements have always been big. Mega Man, Pac-man, Ryu and Ridley.
I mean, they were all accompained by other characters, but those were clearly the BIG announcements.

But that's not the reason why I think that E3 is Banjo's best shot. I think Banjo's inclusion in Smash mainly hinges on what kind of partnership Nintendo and Microsoft plan to have, and how far they want to push it. E3 is really the only place where they can announce what they have in mind, and Banjo would fall nicely in that schedule.
Let's cross our fingers.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I love A Hat in Time, its right there next to Banjo Kazooie as my favorite 3D platformer (if you haven't bought it yet BUY IT) but telling us to be happy with just that is a huge slap on the face imo. Also them being afraid that they couldn't make something that would make people happy just tells me how lazy they are. Gears for Breakfast is an indie studio for crying out loud and manage to make a good 3D platformer that most people are happy with, you're telling me rare with all its resources cant do the same?
Sorry if I sound rude but game studios making excuses like that just make me shake my head in disappointment.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Imagine if every game studio used the rare excuse. "There is no point making a first person shooter when you can play Doom on the SNES"
"There is no point making a platformer when you can just play Mario on the NES"

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Just had a thought; the HUGE spike in interest for Banjo & Kazooie just SPECULATING being in Super Smash Bros. Imagine how big it could get if they actually join?

There is already plenty of new merchandise being added as well as promotions like Xbox Game Pass. Maybe Microsoft at the very least is seeing that fans want Banjo & Kazooie. Perhaps in the future Banjo Threeie or HD Remake like Crash and Spyro?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I love A hat in Time, its right there next to Banjo Kazooie as my favorite 3D platformer (if you haven't bought it yet BUY IT) but telling us to be happy with just that is a huge slap on the face imo. Also them being afraid that they couldn't make something that would make people happy just tells me how lazy they are. Gears for Breakfast is an indie studio for crying out loud and manage to make good 3D platformer that most people are happy with, you're telling me rare with all its resources cant do the same?
Sorry if I sound rude but game studios making excuses like that just make me shake my head in disappointment.
All the resources in the world don’t make up for a lack of creativity and passion. Good 3D platformers just need everybody to be at the top of their game on a development team and not only that, but to really care about what they’re doing. Nintendo’s genuinely the only one to have it down these days, and even a project with so much passion like Yooka Laylee doesn’t turn out right. Rare today is not Rare of the old and nothing they’ve produced since the likes of maybe Kameo and Viva Piñata have felt like they had any passion behind it.

So, yes, I think it’s completely possible all the bankrolling in the world won’t make a difference in making a good game. I’m not sure I’d want a Banjo Threeie if it came from current Rare unless they’ve done an extreme amount of recruiting and reuniting of classic developers.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Imagine if every game studio used the rare excuse. "There is no point making a first person shooter when you can play Doom on the SNES"
"There is no point making a platformer when you can just play Mario on the NES"
It just makes them look like unambitious at best and lazy and uncreative at worst.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yes, it's all a matter of timing of which character gets enough completed to show off first. While some noteworthy characters had been shown at E3 before, in one year we had :ultpalutena: and the :ultmiifighters:. Big characters at big events aren't necessarily a guarantee.
Y'know, now that I think about it, I've been kinda thinking Palutena at E3 was also during that time they were playing favorites with Kid Icarus characters after Uprising came out. The Mii Fighters I have no idea why they were at E3 and not some random direct.

Just had a thought; the HUGE spike in interest for Banjo & Kazooie just SPECULATING being in Super Smash Bros. Imagine how big it could get if they actually join?

There is already plenty of new merchandise being added as well as promotions like Xbox Game Pass. Maybe Microsoft at the very least is seeing that fans want Banjo & Kazooie. Perhaps in the future Banjo Threeie or HD Remake like Crash and Spyro?
Well we'd see the return of Error Code: 2137-8056

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Y'know, now that I think about it, I've been kinda thinking Palutena at E3 was also during that time they were playing favorites with Kid Icarus characters after Uprising came out. The Mii Fighters I have no idea why they were at E3 and not some random direct.

Well we'd see the return of Error Code: 2137-8056
They both showed off and emphasized new features of Smash 4 with regards to customization. Palutena showed off custom moves for main characters (she was the most special one in Smash 4 by a wide margin in the variety of alternate customs she had) and the Mii fighters helped to reveal the bigger elements of anybody in Smash back when Mii’s were a bigger deal (plus, the Iwata/Reggie trailer really fits particularly well at E3). Plus, the Mii’s were natural transition into Amiibo. All of the E3 2014 Smash coverage was real focused on features, which is how someone like Pac-Man ends up not on the main presentation.

Top Bottom