• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Has a Smash announcement ever purposely coincided with an event for a related game, though? That doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.
Sure, they announced the Smash Ultimate Direct at Evo this year, but that's just a Direct announcement, not to mention it was announced on Twitter shortly after.

Either way, I haven't given my two cents on this yet, so I might as well.
I have no real opinion on Minecraft. I tried it once at my cousin's and it was okay, but I didn't see the appeal. I know Minecraft is huge for Microsoft- you know, Phil Spencer, the same guy who says he'd be okay with getting Banjo in Smash, was the one who convinced Microsoft to buy Minecraft in the first place- but if Sakurai and his team made a deal with them, I don't think Minecraft content should be all we get, if it's even Minecraft. I'm obviously biased toward Banjo-Kazooie, and for a reason- I'm convinced they fit better with Nintendo and Smash Bros.

I'd have no problem with Minecraft content in Smash if it means Banjo gets in- with or without a playable Steve. I don't really like nor dislike Steve, frankly.
However, like most others have said, if Steve was a fighter and Banjo wasn't... that would be a very tone deaf decision on Sakurai and his team's part, and there would be a lot of fan backlash, no two ways about it. I won't lie, I would be pissed. And I don't want to ever be pissed at Sakurai after everything he's been doing for us.

I'm not sure if I think Banjo would even make the base roster, but I'd just be happy if they got in Smash either way, be it base or DLC.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Has a Smash announcement ever purposely coincided with an event for a related game, though? That doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.
Sure, they announced the Smash Ultimate Direct at Evo this year, but that's just a Direct announcement, not to mention it was announced on Twitter shortly after.

Either way, I haven't given my two cents on this yet, so I might as well.
I have no real opinion on Minecraft. I tried it once at my cousin's and it was okay, but I didn't see the appeal. I know Minecraft is huge for Microsoft- you know, Phil Spencer, the same guy who says he'd be okay with getting Banjo in Smash, was the one who convinced Microsoft to buy Minecraft in the first place- but if Sakurai and his team made a deal with them, I don't think Minecraft content should be all we get, if it's even Minecraft. I'm obviously biased toward Banjo-Kazooie, and for a reason- I'm convinced they fit better with Nintendo and Smash Bros.

I'd have no problem with Minecraft content in Smash if it means Banjo gets in- with or without a playable Steve. I don't really like nor dislike Steve, frankly.
However, like most others have said, if Steve was a fighter and Banjo wasn't... that would be a very tone deaf decision on Sakurai and his team's part, and there would be a lot of fan backlash, no two ways about it. I won't lie, I would be pissed. And I don't want to ever be pissed at Sakurai after everything he's been doing for us.

I'm not sure if I think Banjo would even make the base roster, but I'd just be happy if they got in Smash either way, be it base or DLC.
Here's the thing--I think Minecraft content would be a great fit for Smash--as a stage and assist trophy, like (presumably) Monster Hunter. Steve just doesn't work as a character, whereas Banjo has the history with Nintendo, the popularity in all the polls, the moveset, the characters/music/settings. Which is why I agree it would be tone deaf for Steve to get in over Banjo, and for the longest time I dismissed it as being too unlikely. What worries me is that Sakurai really loved playing Minecraft, I just think he would realize, of all people, why Minecraft would be appealing--and it ain't Steve.

In positive news, the N64 mini rumors do make me hopeful. The best timeline is we get Banjo & Kazooie in Smash and on an N64 mini. Would truly make this anniversary (even if it spills over into next year) the year of Banjo.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Here's the thing--I think Minecraft content would be a great fit for Smash--as a stage and assist trophy, like (presumably) Monster Hunter. Steve just doesn't work as a character, whereas Banjo has the history with Nintendo, the popularity in all the polls, the moveset, the characters/music/settings. Which is why I agree it would be tone deaf for Steve to get in over Banjo, and for the longest time I dismissed it as being too unlikely. What worries me is that Sakurai really loved playing Minecraft, I just think he would realize, of all people, why Minecraft would be appealing--and it ain't Steve.

In positive news, the N64 mini rumors do make me hopeful. The best timeline is we get Banjo & Kazooie in Smash and on an N64 mini. Would truly make this anniversary (even if it spills over into next year) the year of Banjo.
I would love to see the N64 Classic go head to head with Sony's PS1 Classic this holiday season like back in the late 90's, But I likely see Nintendo holding off until next year, Which could be a good thing and really give them extra time to really consider working a deal with Microsoft to beef up that N64 Lineup with Classic Rareware titles.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I doubt that the upcoming Minecon will have a Steve reveal for Smash. It's a similar situation when people thought a Heihachi, or a different fighting game character reveal was going to happen at evo for Smash. Heihachi could happen if Sakurai still wants to add him. He could even have Ryu's new 1v1 faced forward mechanic.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo Kazooie was the 2nd best selling new IP on the N64. The only other new IP that bested it sales wise... Smash Bros. Thats more than enough merit for an appearance on the N64 Mini!

(Oh and unrelated but please put Turok on N64 Mini lol)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo Kazooie was the 2nd best selling new IP on the N64. The only other new IP that bested it sales wise... Smash Bros. Thats more than enough merit for an appearance on the N64 Mini!

(Oh and unrelated but please put Turok on N64 Mini lol)
The top 10 best selling games on the N64:
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. GoldenEye 007
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Super Smash Bros
6. Pokémon Stadium
7. Donkey Kong 64
8. Diddy Kong Racing
9. Star Fox 64
10. Banjo-Kazooie

There is only one character heading their franchise who originated from a video game on this list. As someone who grew up with the N64, this is the reason I consider Banjo & Kazooie missing, and why his inclusion would complete the roster for me. Sakurai has a chance to correct this with the Ultimate Smash game.

EDIT: Not to mention--Banjo shows up here twice, including Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. GoldenEye 007
5. Super Smash Bros
6. Pokémon Stadium
7. Donkey Kong 64
8. Diddy Kong Racing
9. Star Fox 64
10. Banjo-Kazooie

There is only one character heading their franchise who originated from a video game on this list. As someone who grew up with the N64, this is the reason I consider Banjo & Kazooie missing, and why his inclusion would complete the roster for me. Sakurai has a chance to correct this with the Ultimate Smash game.

To hell with Banjo. How did I not realize Oddjob from Goldeneye is the perfect N64 rep?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That Top 10 N64 Sales list shows why Banjo-Kazooie is an N64 All-Star and Icon, He had the biggest debut of any new original IP of that era outside of Smash which is just a spinoff multiplayer game with already established Nintendo icons, All the other games on the top 10 list were already established characters/franchises and Banjo-Kazooie still managed to get into elite company. That's why their games should be on the N64 Classic and deserve a spot in Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Jorl

Smash Rookie
The main discussion thread is a scary place. Never stay there for more than 3 pages at a time or you may buy into the latest leak. Seriously though, I wouldn't look too much into any of these rumors

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
In a few days I'll finally be able to play the original Banjo soon.

Please add me to the support list!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
We haven't really had anything similar to an announcement at a non-Nintendo event/direct, but recall that this is for a third party character. If Steve were to be announced at MineCon it is entirely possible that this would be at the behest of Microsoft. This would be unusual behavior for Nintendo, but they aren't the controlling interest for the character, so concessions could certainly be made.

That said, I kind of hope this is fake. -_-

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah everyone takes steve as fact now, but then again everyone took simon belmont as fact & only beleved leaks he was in B4 he was announced

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Also I don't know if I've asked, but if not please add me to the support list.

volbound1700

Smash Master
All the major leakers are saying Steve now. Kind of sucks but whatever. Every Smash game gives us some dumpy characters and misses on some great picks. Who knows, maybe Steve will help Banjo become DLC.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If Banjo's not in the base, I feel like he's gotta have the highest chances for DLC out of any other character. He seems to be only second to Isaac in the most requested newcomer right now, since all the other heavy hitters are in now, and while the Smash Ballot is seemingly what influenced the base roster, which was allegedly finalized long ago, it seems like the present moments are what's going to influence DLC the most. So never stop being loud about wanting Banjo.

I think Steve getting in would suck, and I would hate it, and it would feel wrong.... but it would bode very well for Banjo's Chances as DLC... Again, it'd be more ideal for Banjo to be in base, but I don't care how I get Banjo in Smash, I just want him.

EDIT: If anything, Steve getting in means Banjo Fans should double their efforts of making sure they're heard. ( Within reason. Don't be like Waluigi fans. )

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The Main Ultimate thread is heavy into this Steve rumor
The main discussion thread is a scary place. Never stay there for more than 3 pages at a time or you may buy into the latest leak. Seriously though, I wouldn't look too much into any of these rumors
Yeah, I get incredibly frustrated reading the General thread after the Steve rumor, and have tried very hard to stay out of it knowing my predilections (but sometimes I just can't resist). I think there was only once when I was reading where there was a healthy, positive discussion of Banjo in it after a fake render, the rest of the time Banjo is declared a "dead" franchise. It's hard not to take a closer look at these rumors when Verge gives the leaker credibility--but my hope is since his main sources haven't been able to confirm it, Steve is the decoy to catch leakers and Banjo & Kazooie are in.

Yeah everyone takes steve as fact now, but then again everyone took simon belmont as fact & only beleved leaks he was in B4 he was announced
Not the most optimistic example because--Simon did get in. But I agree, I wish I didn't have to clarify "rumors =/= leaks" as often as I feel compelled to. All we can be confident in is Minecraft probably has representation, and if there's insider rumors that a Microsoft character is involved in some way, that's great news for Banjo. I really do feel like Banjo's the best choice for the base game, rather than DLC. As people like to say often "Steve is iconic." But in the same breath they'll say "Banjo would make so much money as a DLC character." Then... wouldn't Microsoft want Steve as DLC, and Banjo in the base game? It just makes better sense to me, any way you look at it.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Banjo's chances of getting in as a DLC character, if not a base one, would be very high if we get any amount of Minecraft content, really.
In terms of fan demand, they'd be among the most likely- the perks of DLC this time around is that Sakurai and his team have seen character popularity since they finalized the base roster.
Looking at other factors such as recency, I can see Spring Man/Ribbon Girl as well as Rex & Pyra being front runners as well, assuming they're not in the base roster, which I can see happening, since I'm not certain either of those two were around at the time of establishing the base roster.

That being said, fan demand seems to be a much more significant factor in determining newcomers this time around, so the fact that Banjo's not only been placing high in polls, but placing high in polls across all regions, says a lot to me. If Banjo is as popular in Europe and Japan as the data I've seen suggests, Sakurai and his team just can't ignore that. Especially if there's any amount of Microsoft content in Smash.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or does the general Smash community not take Banjo’s chances seriously, but then fully accept Steve?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ya know, its kind of funny. I was talking with my niece (she is 8) and I suddenly asked her 'What do you know about Minecraft?'
She then goes on to talk about building houses, fighting monsters, etc. I then ask her 'What would your character be?'
Immediately she says 'How would I look? I wouldn't look like Steve.'

So she knew who he was, but wasn't in her first mentions of what Minecraft is.

Lets keep faith BanjoRoos!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Another reason I want Banjo-Kazooie as the Microsoft rep is that they need this a lot more than Steve from Minecraft does, Minecraft is already big no matter what, It doesn't need any extra help or exposure as it's already slapped on a bunch of merchandise as it is and it doesn't seem like there audience really overlaps that much with the Smash audience based on fan demand, They will probably be like "oh cool" for like 5 minutes and then go back to watching youtube personalities and gameplay videos of Minecraft, Smash is a great way to resurrect fan favorite classic characters like King K.Rool and Banjo-Kazooie is a perfect canditate for just that and hopefully in the process helps revive the franchise as well.

Minecraft will be fine no matter what if Steve makes it in or not, But Banjo-Kazooie's chances are much more vital and can potentially be make or break for the future state of the franchise.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah I'm sick of all the "Banjo will probably be DLC so that Nintendo and Microsoft can split the profits" & the "Nope, Minecraft DLC wouldn’t sell. As you can see a lot of people aren’t really fans of the idea of Steve being in Smash. Nintendo would probably not make a lot off of that" yet they say steve will be in the base roster & banjo will be DLC like wouldn't minecrafts IP cost more to use ? so wouldnt it make sense for minecraft DLC to make profit for M$ & nintendo ? why do they act like banjo would cost SO MUCH to use that he would be DLC but minecraft wouldn't cost to much to use & wouldn,t sell as dlc so it will be in base game ??? WHAT EVEN IS THIS LOGIC ???

to M$ banjo is a dorment dead IP they don't care about he would not cost so much to use that nintendo would make him DLC to avoid paying royaltys for every copy of smash ultimate sold YET they would be ok using minecraft & paying minecraft royaltys in the base game ??? you know the M$ IP that they valued at 2.5 BILLON!!!! to buy! i really feel like they would be so open with minecraft & stingy with banjo

& I would LOSE ALL respect for sakurai if he put minecraft content in base game but not banjo knowing banjo was TOP 3 world wide in the ballot & # 1 of 3rd partys on the ballot ALL FAN POLLS SHOW THIS CONSITANTLY SINCE 2015 !!! with steve not that high at ALL !!!

the logic baffels me or am i wrong ? am i missing somthing ??? i find it hard to beleve these "leakers" can hear about steve & nothing on banjo NO word on if he is in or not.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I would definitely love for Banjo & Kazooie to make it in, they’re definitely in my top 3 most wanted along with Isaac and Geno.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Looking forward to when Banjo is the game and it’s a surprise due to the Minecraft rumors. That’s going to be really amazing.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Is it just me, or does the general Smash community not take Banjo’s chances seriously, but then fully accept Steve?
Yeah, I don't understand that disconnect at all. It's why I often feel like clearing the air on that, but when I do I'm criticized for insulting a character--despite going through pages of "Not iconic enough", "it's a dead franchise", "the games sucked". People have the right to their opinion, and I encourage that no matter how much I disagree--but only if I can respond with my own thoughtful critiques.

yeah I'm sick of all the "Banjo will probably be DLC so that Nintendo and Microsoft can split the profits" & the "Nope, Minecraft DLC wouldn’t sell. As you can see a lot of people aren’t really fans of the idea of Steve being in Smash. Nintendo would probably not make a lot off of that" yet they say steve will be in the base roster & banjo will be DLC like wouldn't minecrafts IP cost more to use ? so wouldnt it make sense for minecraft DLC to make profit for M$ & nintendo ? why do they act like banjo would cost SO MUCH to use that he would be DLC but minecraft wouldn't cost to much to use & wouldn,t sell as dlc so it will be in base game ??? WHAT EVEN IS THIS LOGIC ???

to M$ banjo is a dorment dead IP they don't care about he would not cost so much to use that nintendo would make him DLC to avoid paying royaltys for every copy of smash ultimate sold YET they would be ok using minecraft & paying minecraft royaltys in the base game ??? you know the M$ IP that they valued at 2.5 BILLON!!!! to buy! i really feel like they would be so open with minecraft & stingy with banjo

& I would LOSE ALL respect for sakurai if he put minecraft content in base game but not banjo knowing banjo was TOP 3 world wide in the ballot & # 1 of 3rd partys on the ballot ALL FAN POLLS SHOW THIS CONSITANTLY SINCE 2015 !!! with steve not that high at ALL !!!

the logic baffels me or am i wrong ? am i missing somthing ??? i find it hard to beleve these "leakers" can hear about steve & nothing on banjo NO word on if he is in or not.
Completely agreed, though I would say I think it's understandable if we get Minecraft content but not Banjo. Stages/assists don't take as long as full-fledged characters, and it all depends on when in the development cycle talks began. However, if they were able to make a playable character, and Steve was the only one they chose--then that's not understandable and it would be an insult. Which is why--as much as I trust Verge's rumors, I don't trust his legitimizing of this leaker (seriously, a phone game character?!), and he could very well be going off of a bad source that may have been fed misleading information, a leaker trap. That's my hope for understanding what happened. No one is confirmed/deconfirmed until Sakurai says it himself. Which is why I'm remaining cautious, considering it a possibility now, but optimistic that Sakurai knows better.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Looking forward to when Banjo is the game and it’s a surprise due to the Minecraft rumors. That’s going to be really amazing.
Same here, I don't why ,But my gut feeling is whether base roster or DLC that in the end they are still going to make it in the game, The timing couldn't be more perfect and I know this has been repeatedly been said to death ,But they are...

- One of the highest requested characters in the current rank and probably the highest 3rd Party as well, Also seems to constantly be Top 3 everywhere in polls,

- Nintendo 64 is next in line for the "Classic" treatment

- Phil Spencer is on board with them joining Smash Bros since 2015 and also again in 2018.

- They have history with Nintendo not only by being on the N64 and GBA ,But actually by being Co-owned by Nintendo at one point.

- Nintendo and Microsoft have a working relationship and have been collaborating with Crossplay.

- They have probably have the most deepest moveset pool potential than any other pitched newcomer for Super Smash Bros and that it looks like it was made with that game in mind.

- They have that "Nintendo look" considering they were once and are still viewed as Nintendo Characters, They blend in perfectly with the rest of the cast, Hell their artist team were the same ones that made Diddy Kong and Modern Donkey Kong.

- It's their 20th Anniversary, If their not going to get a new game at least getting them in Smash is still worthy of a celebration.

Make it happen Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare and Sakurai !!!

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I would like to be added to the support list as well. Kind of forgot that was a thing. I'll go ahead and private message the OP my username and social security number.

Kremling Krewmate

Smash Rookie
With all the buzz about Minecraft content in Ultimate, it got me thinking about something that is possibly getting overlooked...

(Put on your tin foil hats and get ready to speculate!)

EDIT: Broken picture link

- In the 8/8 Smash Direct, it showed off Rathalos towards the end as a stage boss

- The level shown with Rathalos was clearly a Monster Hunter stage as it didn't resemble any other stage in the game:

- Later in the direct, Sakurai revealed that there would be 103 stages total in the game. He then announced that all 103 stages could be viewed on smashbros.com

- The Monster Hunter stage was nowhere to be seen.

- Given that Rathalos was described as a boss character, along with the fact that Sakurai refused to talk about when Dracula would appear in the Castlevania stage, it can be assumed that the new mode is a story mode with boss battles.

-As shown with Rathalos, the stages/characters in said story mode doesn't need to have a series rep as a playable character to be implemented. It can at least be assumed that, the company it belongs to must have at least one character (e.g. Capcom has Mega Man/Ryu, can have Monster Hunter stage)

-Rewind a month prior: Vergeben leaked that Ridley and Simon would be playable characters and that Minecraft would have some representation. He inferred that the Minecraft representation was more than likely a stage or assist trophy instead of a character.

- Verge has brought up Minecraft representation again lately, and although he says that he's heard from one of his secondary sources that Steve could be playable. Regardless, he still believes that a stage/assist is a guaranteed lock.

- Supposing Minecraft will only have non-fighter representation, one could assume the Minecraft content Verge's source saw was from a story mode stage.

- If Minecraft was a story-mode stage and didn't have a fighter, that would mean Microsoft would have someone other than Steve as a fighter in the game

- Since Sakurai basing the roster mostly on Smash Ballot, this would mean that there is one Microsoft character who would definitely be in:

Master Chief Steve Clippy Bill Gates Banjo-Kazooie.

Even if Steve does get in, I don't think that makes Banjo any less likely. If anything, it shows that Microsoft is willing to put their characters in Smash. Just remember: before 8/8, all the leakers were talking about Ridley, Geno, Isabelle, etc. None of them called K.Rool. There could very well be characters that Verge's sources haven't seen yet. And above all else, this is all just speculation.... that could possibly mean something :p

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day, its only a good thing for us in any Minecraft inclusion of any capacity that is rumoured and turns out to be true, as it increases chances tenfold to the base game, and near expected DLC.

This cannot apply to any other character speculation thread.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Still feel (and hope) that if Steve...*sigh*...is actually playable, it's only because we're getting Banjo & Kazooie as DLC (even before Steve seemed viable, I assumed they'd be DLC)

Which is a smart business choice, I feel like more people are going to get excited and buy B&K separately, Steve would not be as exciting and I mean, I can't be the only one that would probably skip paying for him.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
its smash even if steve was playable dlc i'd still buy him heck i'll buy any character for smash BUT STEVE ONLY IF BANJO IS IN :p

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I am expecting Verg to Robin'd, his leak seem accurate until a Smash trailer drops that deconfirms a character in the leak.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
"Nope, Minecraft DLC wouldn’t sell.
People haven't really said this have they?

It baffles my mind that people would argue that Minecraft would appeal to the masses and then say that Minecraft dlc wouldn't sell. Would Minecraft content be popular or not? Which is it? You can't have both.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah people said that I asked verge about banjo saying if you heard about steve then he must of hered something about banjo & altho verge didn't responed those who did (not sure if they are leakers as well? i asked on reddit) where convinced minecraft was in the base game & wouldn't sell as DLC but Banjo was DLC so nintendo could avoid royaltys & MS & Nintendo could make money off the DLC since banjo was a popular ballot character. It makes no sense to me that M$,Nintendo or sakurai would think this way or how royaltys on banjo & steve would be somehow so diffrent ??? but these people are conviced of it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. GoldenEye 007
5. Super Smash Bros
6. Pokémon Stadium
7. Donkey Kong 64
8. Diddy Kong Racing
9. Star Fox 64
10. Banjo-Kazooie

Wow! I didn't know Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing sold more copies than Banjo-Kazooie.

Top Bottom