• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
DK 64 had a HUGE market push back then with 2 diffrent N64 bundles jungle green & bannana yellow plus DK was an established IP & diddy from diddy kong racing was in it :p

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Wow! I didn't know Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing sold more copies than Banjo-Kazooie.
Yeah the franchise was riding high from the success from the DKC games of the SNES era and was already a big time established IP too,

I still like Donkey Kong 64 and while it's not as good as Banjo-Kazooie and people sometimes give it a lot of crap, I still think it's a solid game.

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
With third party companies, the way it seems to work is you get the big dog in first and then that gives way for the retro fan favourites.

They got Snake from Konami. Then Simon Belmont followed.

They got Cloud from SE. And Geno will probably follow.

If Banjo is to get into Smash, we'll almost definitely have to see either Steve or Master Chief first... And Steve is probably the most likely of the 2.

To sum up. We won't get Banjo without getting Steve.

volbound1700

Smash Master
With third party companies, the way it seems to work is you get the big dog in first and then that gives way for the retro fan favourites.

If Banjo is to get into Smash, we'll almost definitely have to see either Steve or Master Chief first... And Steve is probably the most likely of the 2.

For Microsoft, the big dog is Masterchief and not Steve.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Honestly, I would prefer Master Chief over Steve but that's only if we get Banjo-Kazooie first.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief has zero appearances on Nintendo platforms outside of a skin in Minecraft. Minecraft is also colossal, right under Tetris in sales.

I completely understand why Steve would get in over Banjo. Doesn't mean I like it. Thankfully if we get Steve, then Banjo's chances only increase.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Master Chief has zero appearances on Nintendo platforms outside of a skin in Minecraft. Minecraft is also colossal, right under Tetris in sales.

I completely understand why Steve would get in over Banjo. Doesn't mean I like it. Thankfully if we get Steve, then Banjo's chances only increase.
I get what you're saying. But you know who else had zero appearances on Nintendo platforms? Cloud.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think Nintendo would even think about an N64 without rare's IPs. They made like 4 of the top 10 best selling games on the system. I think that really boosts our shot
Ironically, the only two SNES games in the top ten not on the Classic...are Rare games.

DKC3 I understand but there’s no excuse for not having DKC2 on it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I get what you're saying. But you know who else had zero appearances on Nintendo platforms? Cloud.
Cloud appeared in some FF and KH spinoffs on Nintendo. That’s actually why Sakurai said he was okay with adding him.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That actually isn't true. His debut title wasn't on Nintendo, but he had appearances in Chain of Memories, Theatrhythm, and Final Fantasy Explorers.
Yeah, I never played any of the Final Fantasy games besides Crystal Chronicles. I only said Cloud wasn't on a Nintendo platform before because I've heard a lot of people say Smash was his first time on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Yes you're right... But Steve is still one of their big dogs. No matter how you slice it.

We got Megaman before Ryu. Ryu is more iconic than Megaman. But Megaman is still one of Capcom's big dogs

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I never played any of the Final Fantasy games besides Crystal Chronicles. I only said Cloud wasn't on a Nintendo platform before because I've heard a lot of people say Smash was his first time on a Nintendo console.
It's all good. All of those games are easy to miss and it's not like Cloud had any huge appearance in on a Nintendo platform until Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master

You said MS biggest IP which is Masterchief. Masterchief is the mascot for Microsoft gaming.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Master Chief will never make it in because he’s never been on a Nintendo system, plus the fact we’re all forgetting: Halo is not popular AT ALL in Japan.

And I’m saying that as a Halo fan.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
As I see it
Banjo would be a Rare rep
Steve would be a Mojang rep
Masterchilf would be a M$/Xbox rep

this is the way i feel even sakurai would see it

I'm mean do we see Bayonetta as a sega rep or a platnum games rep ???

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm mean do we see Bayonetta as a sega rep or a platnum games rep ???
Yeah, I found that weird that we saw no Platinum Games trademark at the end of the Final Video Presentation, but she’s still owned by SEGA to my knowledge.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

You forgot Sonic and Bayonetta for Sega.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I think they should put Master Chief in for his role as Xbox’s mascot, similar to how Sonic was in originally because he was Sega’s mascot, and Sega/Nintendo were long time rivals before the Dreamcast died.

I also think they should do Crash, but only because he was once a PlayStation mascot and it’d be the only represent that rivalry.

(Note: The above should be DLC)

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Still feel (and hope) that if Steve...*sigh*...is actually playable, it's only because we're getting Banjo & Kazooie as DLC (even before Steve seemed viable, I assumed they'd be DLC)

Which is a smart business choice, I feel like more people are going to get excited and buy B&K separately, Steve would not be as exciting and I mean, I can't be the only one that would probably skip paying for him.
Yes you're right... But Steve is still one of their big dogs. No matter how you slice it.

We got Megaman before Ryu. Ryu is more iconic than Megaman. But Megaman is still one of Capcom's big dogs
I’d say Ryu is a bigger dog than Mega Man. Mega Man is the Banjo of Capcom: a character primarily known for being a Nintendo character stuck with a non-Nintendo franchise

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Anyone still have the hotdog picture leak? My fellow Banjo-Roos will know what I speak of.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'm still confident we're not getting Steve as a playable fighter, at least not in the base game; Banjo-Kazooie has been the more highly-requested character as various different polls have shown, and Sakurai confirmed that he's using the Smash Ballot results as a sort-of guide for newcomers. Add onto that the duo's immense popularity among the Nintendo 64 crowd, and I pretty confident that they have a much better chance in the base game than Steve does. If we DO get Minecraft stuff in the base game, it'll probably be like a stage, a portion of the single-player mode, or an Assist Trophy.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I understand how if Steve gets in, it makes Banjo & Kazooie likely as DLC. But as a point of principle, I don't think it's right if Steve gets in before Banjo. I'm fine with Steve as DLC, or in the very unlikely event Microsoft gets two reps, Banjo and Steve. But Steve over Banjo makes no sense. Minecraft is big, and it deserves representation, but that's the only reason people give for wanting Steve--him as a playable fighter is an afterthought despite being considered a "given". So if Sakurai's working with Microsoft:

1. Minecraft gets a stage and assist
2. Banjo & Kazooie are playable
3. Maybe a Master Chief Mii costume, since Master Chief hasn't been on Nintendo, it's would please some fans

This pleases everybody. Steve as a character, without Banjo, doesn't, and alienates an entire fanbase. I would be against Ultimate in principle if that's the decision he made.

Steve it is then :/
Banjo & Kazooie were very popular among Japan polls. Banjo & Kazooie have worldwide appeal among the Smash fanbase (though these polls should be taken with a grain of salt, as it's biased towards Smash fans who would vote in these polls--but it's the only reasonable data we have of Smash fans). There's hope!

Last edited:

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Banjo & Kazooie were very popular among Japan polls. Banjo & Kazooie have worldwide appeal among the Smash fanbase (though these polls should be taken with a grain of salt, as it's biased towards Smash fans who would vote in these polls--but it's the only reasonable data we have of Smash fans). There's hope!
I want to believe Banjo will be in this game. Even if he is DLC. But Steve does seem to be his biggest hurdle here.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Same here, I don't why ,But my gut feeling is whether base roster or DLC that in the end they are still going to make it in the game, The timing couldn't be more perfect and I know this has been repeatedly been said to death ,But they are...

- One of the highest requested characters in the current rank and probably the highest 3rd Party as well, Also seems to constantly be Top 3 everywhere in polls,

- Nintendo 64 is next in line for the "Classic" treatment

- Phil Spencer is on board with them joining Smash Bros since 2015 and also again in 2018.

- They have history with Nintendo not only by being on the N64 and GBA ,But actually by being Co-owned by Nintendo at one point.

- Nintendo and Microsoft have a working relationship and have been collaborating with Crossplay.

- They have probably have the most deepest moveset pool potential than any other pitched newcomer for Super Smash Bros and that it looks like it was made with that game in mind.

- They have that "Nintendo look" considering they were once and are still viewed as Nintendo Characters, They blend in perfectly with the rest of the cast, Hell their artist team were the same ones that made Diddy Kong and Modern Donkey Kong.

- It's their 20th Anniversary, If their not going to get a new game at least getting them in Smash is still worthy of a celebration.

Make it happen Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare and Sakurai !!!
Hey, I never get tired of hearing the reasons why they’re perfect for Smash, cuz it’s all true!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I imagine most of the Smash fan base are players that have been with the series since the early days of the N64/Gamecube and have more of an attachment to old school characters, While Minecraft appeals more to a newer generation of gamers, That's why it seems like Steve and Minecraft's possible inclusion is viewed more negatively from the hardcore players who associate Banjo-Kazooie from the old school era of games they grew up playing including myself.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I want to believe Banjo will be in this game. Even if he is DLC. But Steve does seem to be his biggest hurdle here.
It all depends on how Sakurai approached the game. If he's going by the ballot, and the only information we have on how that might have turned out are the polls, Banjo & Kazooie were consistently the highest, across many different factors. Steve was barely a blip. Which goes back to what I say that nobody cares about Steve--they care about Minecraft, and Minecraft can be represented as a stage. I'm also fine if Minecraft is a stage and Banjo isn't in the game (disappointing, but understandable). However, if Sakurai chose a character nobody wanted, just because the series he's from is popular (but not the character itself)--that alienates a huge segment of fans. Whereas a Minecraft stage and Banjo & Kazooie fighter pleases everybody. I'm cautiously optimistic, more cautious recently, but hope Sakurai does right by all fans, not just a few.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Sakurai goes up to Microsoft and asks for Banjo (and Steve).

Microsoft says, "Not only can you have Banjo, but you can buy the whole IP for free. And here is the Diddy Kong Racing characters as well."

Sakurai says, "Okay!"

Oh, if only life was that simple...

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think they should put Master Chief in for his role as Xbox’s mascot, similar to how Sonic was in originally because he was Sega’s mascot, and Sega/Nintendo were long time rivals before the Dreamcast died.
Sonic got in from fan demand, not because he was Sega's Mascot.
That, and Sonic was basically a Gamecube Mascot. porting basically his entire 10 year old library of games to the Gamecube, and having three original games made for it.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Man the backlash if Steve gets in over Banjo will be crazy. Even worse than Dark Pit, or Ridley being a boss in Smash U.

Steve might become the most hated Smash newcomer if it happens, lol

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
See, everyone seems to be saying this, but yet I don't recall anyone even worrying about him at all until some unknown "leaker" took what Verge had been saying about possible Minecraft and turned it into "Steve is playable"
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, by all means. I've only just joined up since a little after the August Direct so maybe it's possible I missed something but I'm nearly 100 percent certain he's only become a "threat" recently.

Top Bottom