• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I haven't played Mario Rabbids yet but apparently you can collect "Jiggies" in the new DK DLC?
image.jpeg

Also an article from a few months ago stated that Ubisoft Milan wants to be the new Rare, or how Rare used to be when they worked for Nintendo so Ubisoft Milan probably has first dibs if a Banjo-Kazooie game happens in the future.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I haven't played Mario Rabbids yet but apparently you can collect "Jiggies" in the new DK DLC?
View attachment 165672

Also an article from a few months ago stated that Ubisoft Milan wants to be the new Rare, or how Rare used to be when they worked for Nintendo so Ubisoft Milan probably has first dibs if a Banjo-Kazooie game happens in the future.
You can actually also get "Jiggiy's" in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze too, Maybe as a nod to BK I don't know, But yeah I also heard about that, That one of the head guys (can't remember his name)at Ubisoft Milan is a big fan of Rareware, probably why he got Kirkhope to score this game, But I can definitely see them tackle a 3D Donkey Kong game that is if Retro Studios is busy doing a final DKC game or working on something else since Nintendo has been collaborating with Ubisoft a lot lately or who knows maybe even Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Overworking is a big problem in the gaming industry not exclusive to Rare. In fact Nintendo overwork their staff. I have a friend, named Ken Watanabe, who worked as the graphics programmer on Splatoon. If what he is saying is correct, he never had a proper holiday from the beginning of the 10 years he started at Nintendo, although I don't know if that was his choice or that the work holidays are short in Japan. He left at the end of Splatoon's development and took a big sabbatical in Europe and that's how I met him. He seems very cynical about Nintendo. He currently works on his own as an indie developer...
Overworking is a massive problem in japan in general. If you're not sleeping at your desk then you're not working hard enough. And, if you want to do well, you go to all the work parties aswell, no matter how tired you are or how much you miss your family.

Chances are he /could/ have taken a holiday but how would that look when none of his peers were doing so? And you can't appear weak or you won't get that mythical promotion.

I mostly blame Rare when the Microsoft-Nintendo-Rare argument comes up. Rare could never make a game on schedule and Nintendo didn't like that. We know that Nintendo had stopped funding Goldeneye for a while because the game was always being delayed. We know Banjo Kazooie got delayed and Diddy Kong Racing was released in its place. In fact Rare self-published quite a lot of what they developed during the N64 era. I reckon this happened because Nintendo didn't want to fund these projects cause Rare had the tendency to go over budget. So when it came to buying Rare, Nintendo already had experience with how Rare is run and were not interested in buying the remaining stock. Although I can't explain Yamauchi's change of mind at the last minute. Rare-Nintendo are a good partnership if you care about playing fun games, Rare-Microsoft is a good partnership cause Microsoft have the resources to bankroll Rare.
Not only could Rare not make a game on schedule, they couldn't even make one on genre a lot of the time. Banjo Kazooie was a seafaring pirate adventure, Diddy Kong Racing was a turn-based strategy/RPG fusion and Conker's Bad Fur Day actually had its Nintendo backing revoked post-release because it was only then that they found out it wasn't a children's platformer anymore.

From what I've read, that lack of predictability was what killed Nintendo's interest in keeping Rare and Nintendo's desire to reign Rare in was a large part of why Rare didn't want to stay. Not that they had much choice.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
And we suffer for it. I hate that we live in a world where freaking Bubsy got a new game before Banjo-Kazooie. WHO ASKED FOR A BUBSY GAME AND HOW SHALL THEY DIE?! Also, it really irritates me seeing all these old mascot franchises get renewed like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, meanwhile the one game series I really love gets freaking murdered because of some stupid company bs. If Banjo-Kazooie don't get a place in the Smash roster or a new game, I will never forgive Microsoft OR Nintendo for killing my all-time favorite video game characters. They NEED to be in this game. I can't see them coming back any other way.
Jeez I never even considered the fact that Bubsy got a new game before Banjo. That's just depressing. I would give anything just to get the duo back

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
There was a new Banjo Kazooie game less than 10 years ago tho. Also there was Rare Replay which rereleased the games on new hardware. That wasn’t so long ago.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
There was a new Banjo Kazooie game less than 10 years ago tho. Also there was Rare Replay which rereleased the games on new hardware. That wasn’t so long ago.
By November, it'll have been ten years since Nuts n' Bolts, which was actually released to commemorate the bear and bird's tenth anniversary for Banjo-Kazooie. It would be amazing to have a Smash Direct in November and it end with Banjo-Kazooie being the final reveal for Smash Bros. Ultimate's base game. But I won't get my hopes up ;_;

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I think it’d be better in October. Get that 69 slot, you know?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Conker's Bad Fur Day actually had its Nintendo backing revoked post-release because it was only then that they found out it wasn't a children's platformer anymore.
Ok I don't know about the rest but considering at E3 in 2000 Conker's Bad Fur Day booth was literally a bar, I'm going to guess Nintendo had a pretty good idea of what the game was by that point.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Overworking is a massive problem in japan in general. If you're not sleeping at your desk then you're not working hard enough. And, if you want to do well, you go to all the work parties aswell, no matter how tired you are or how much you miss your family.

Chances are he /could/ have taken a holiday but how would that look when none of his peers were doing so? And you can't appear weak or you won't get that mythical promotion.

Not only could Rare not make a game on schedule, they couldn't even make one on genre a lot of the time. Banjo Kazooie was a seafaring pirate adventure, Diddy Kong Racing was a turn-based strategy/RPG fusion and Conker's Bad Fur Day actually had its Nintendo backing revoked post-release because it was only then that they found out it wasn't a children's platformer anymore.

From what I've read, that lack of predictability was what killed Nintendo's interest in keeping Rare and Nintendo's desire to reign Rare in was a large part of why Rare didn't want to stay. Not that they had much choice.
Wait, what? Banjo-Kazooie had, like, two ocean-themed levels (Treasure Trove Cove and Rusty Bucket Bay). And I don't recall earning any experience points in Diddy Kong Racing.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Wait, what? Banjo-Kazooie had, like, two ocean-themed levels (Treasure Trove Cove and Rusty Bucket Bay). And I don't recall earning any experience points in Diddy Kong Racing.
He's talking about what the projects started as. Like how Banjo started as Project Dream and then radically changed over time.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I don't understand why Microsoft won't sell the Banjo-Kazooie IP back to Nintendo? It doesn't do them any good and the Banjo IP in general doesn't work with the Xbox crowd. It is like Oswald with Disney. Oswald the Rabbits value was basically lost after Disney had to give up the IP. Disney of course went on to make Mickey Mouse as a replacement which became a legend. Only recently has Disney acquired the IP.
Very good analogy. I remember finding the Oswald situation really fascinating when Epic Mickey came out lol. It would be tight to see Banjo reunite with DK in a similar manner, since they were both handled by Rare in the same era.

One thing I will say, is that while B&K doesn't seem like it would be too appealing to the Xbox demographic, it's kind of an outlier in that way. Conker and Perfect Dark should have been a goddamn goldmine for Microsoft. And yet they censored one and ruined the other. It really is a mystery how you can muck up universes with so much potential. I mean, everything was there. It was just a matter of retaining the charm, and they, well they did not.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Keep in mind nintendo could have actively pushed to keep the rights for Banjo Kazooie during the Rare buyout in 2002, but didn't care enough and let Microsoft have it. Banjo_Tooie was only 2 years old at the time (2000 to 2002), so it is kinda sad.

Granted the Nintendo of 2018 is not the Nintendo of 2002, Hiroshi Yamauchi was still president of Nintendo in the early 2000's for goodness sakes, so a lot has changed

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Keep in mind nintendo could have actively pushed to keep the rights for Banjo Kazooie during the Rare buyout in 2002, but didn't care enough and let Microsoft have it. Banjo_Tooie was only 2 years old at the time (2000 to 2002), so it is kinda sad.

Granted the Nintendo of 2018 is not the Nintendo of 2002, Hiroshi Yamauchi was still president of Nintendo in the early 2000's for goodness sakes, so a lot has changed
well that sucks. Banjo-kazooie is such a great ip.

That said nintendo has a lot of ips they do absolutely nothing with. Theyre really fixated on mario and link. even metroid and donkey kong get less love (though at least they get games often enough). Theres also pokemon and FE - but punch out, ice climbers, mother, takamarus game, f-zero, even star fox - all keep getting the shaft. Expand your library nintendo!!

That got off topic lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I can't wait to see BK's plushie for gamestop coming now in October. Maybe we could even get something more?… who knows lol

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

Well they did own the IP and likely would have kept it but they traded it for the rights to some tertiary Kongs so that Microsoft didn't have any stake in one of their biggest IPs. If that didn't happen they probably would have kept Banjo Kazooie and the dream for a third game wouldn't be dead.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know this has been discussed to death and even I get sick of talking about it sometimes, But when Rare, Nintendo and Microsoft get brought up all the time, Microsoft gets all the blame that they ruined Rare, which I partially agree ,But the way I see it all 3 companies are to blame for this current outcome, Microsoft was barely getting into the video game industry and was buying out studios left and right, But mishandled Rare, I don't know what happened internally at Rare ,But from the sounds of it the studio was having problem with employees and overworking them which caused them to lose a lot of talent and Nintendo should of just bought the rest of Rare's remaining stock when the oppurtunity came up, They had first dibs ,But still declined to do so, I don't care what anyone says, Studios always have turnover and some of that talent can be replaced, I just really hate the fact that they passed up the oppurtunity to own Rare's IP's not to mention if Rare wasn't up to the task, Nintendo could of outsource them to other internal teams throughout the company, Also Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare characters would have been in Smash Bros by now and we wouldn't have to be in the middle of this rally for them to squeeze into Ultimate.
So, what I'm getting from this is a messy divorce that led to the kids being treated/raised poorly by one parent after the splitup, leading to the current situation of trying to patch things up emotionally after so many painful years and one of the parents possibly deciding to let the kids visit the other one for the first time in years. Does this sound about right?

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
He wouldn’t be in the know I would assume anyway.
I have a hard time believing that would be the case unless Banjo is getting in without a stage or even a reveal trailer. I would imagine Grant would be the guy they need to talk to regarding music considering he composed basically all of it. Even if someone else is remixing it, they still have to talk crediting, right?

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
No Rare owns that music. They don’t have to go to him for jack.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I don’t care if Grant doesn’t compose for Smash, I have faith in the music team to make fantastic B-K remixes on their own.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Jeez I never even considered the fact that Bubsy got a new game before Banjo. That's just depressing. I would give anything just to get the duo back
Accolade are a bunch of cockroaches with pie in the sky dreams. Unlike Action Enterprises, they have the resources to live on and carry out said dreams.

You can actually also get "Jiggiy's" in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze too, Maybe as a nod to BK I don't know, But yeah I also heard about that, That one of the head guys (can't remember his name)at Ubisoft Milan is a big fan of Rareware, probably why he got Kirkhope to score this game, But I can definitely see them tackle a 3D Donkey Kong game that is if Retro Studios is busy doing a final DKC game or working on something else since Nintendo has been collaborating with Ubisoft a lot lately or who knows maybe even Banjo-Kazooie.
I'd love to see that. Ubisoft Milan seem like the ideal candidate for making a new 3D DK, although whether it would strictly be a platformer is unkown at this stage.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So, what I'm getting from this is a messy divorce that led to the kids being treated/raised poorly by one parent after the splitup, leading to the current situation of trying to patch things up emotionally after so many painful years and one of the parents possibly deciding to let the kids visit the other one for the first time in years. Does this sound about right?
That analogy sounds amazingly accurate now that it's been brought up. :rotfl:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
well that sucks. Banjo-kazooie is such a great ip.

That said nintendo has a lot of ips they do absolutely nothing with. Theyre really fixated on mario and link. even metroid and donkey kong get less love (though at least they get games often enough). Theres also pokemon and FE - but punch out, ice climbers, mother, takamarus game, f-zero, even star fox - all keep getting the shaft. Expand your library nintendo!!

That got off topic lol.
Not to continue your tangent but it is kind of disappointing that there's so many IP's Nintendo is sitting on. Kind of makes you wonder if they would be doing anything with Banjo-Kazooie right now if they had held onto the rights. Took them long enough to revive Donkey Kong Country.

But yeah, F-Zero, Metroid, Starfox? I don't feel that any of these series are currently being used to their full potential.

As for Mother... Well, that's a different ball of wax, aha.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to continue your tangent but it is kind of disappointing that there's so many IP's Nintendo is sitting on. Kind of makes you wonder if they would be doing anything with Banjo-Kazooie right now if they had held onto the rights. Took them long enough to revive Donkey Kong Country.

But yeah, F-Zero, Metroid, Starfox? I don't feel that any of these series are being used to their full potential.

As for Mother... Well, that's a different ball of wax, aha.
Mother ended because Itoi said so. That is all.

Regardless, even if most of those other series had all the support in the world, they'd still need to sell well and not have people mishandle making the games (that latter point is what SF keeps having problems with).

Anyway, who could get in first, Steve or B-K?

volbound1700

Smash Master
As much as I would like for Nintendo to own it, Microsoft has no reason to sell it, Their not in need of cash or in having financial problems, not to mention competitors don't just sell IP's away to rivals, It's all about power and ownership, Rare is unfortunately in a weird limbo situation where Microsoft doesn't really know what to do with their IP's ,But have been slowly outsourcing them to other developers that can hopefully do justice with them, Killer Instinct did "well" and Battletoads looks like is next in line ,But part of that problem is Microsoft's because back when they started the Xbox brand and acquired Rare, They should have prioritized in really pushing Rare's franchises and reestablishing them especially Banjo-Kazooie (Rare's biggest original IP)and try to lure Nintendo's audience to get Xbox's ,But they poured all their resources into the Halo franchise and not much else on the Original Xbox and that unfortunately pretty much formed the identity and demographic of the Xbox Brand, (Shooters, Sports, Mature games)So a lot of Rare's catalog other than Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct don't appeal to that demographic and to this very day that's what the Xbox brand is still associated with, So in the end Microsoft failed to take advantage of the Rare acquisition and here they are stuck with a bunch of great IP's that appeal way more to the Nintendo audience and even if they did make a damn good Banjo-Kazooie it wouldn't sell that well and do ok at best on an Xbox console, Best case scenario Microsoft and Nintendo work out a deal to license Rare games on Nintendo's consoles where they will perform a lot better, But that's a pipe dream. Microsoft knows they mishandled Rare and failed to capatalize on their brand and legacy ,But I imagine they would rather let those IP's sit in the vault then admit they screwed up. That's why Microsoft only pushes Halo, Gears of War and Forza while Rare takes a backseat.
Actually that is my point. Banjo-Kazooie fits the Nintendo demograph. It really has no value to Microsoft. They should just sell it and make something out of it.

I disagree with Nintendo and their IP. For one, they are in Smash as well as other games like Nintendo-Land. That is still use. IMO, Nintendo has a hard time getting developers to make enough games. It is hard to make a Metroid game when you can make Mario Kart easier and it sells more.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It also irritates me because all of my friends around me have gotten their favorite characters and franchises into Smash, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, freaking Cloud Strife, and now even Simon Belmont all get in and my friends are happy. Meanwhile, I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the two characters who should've been in Smash AGES ago. It's just not fair, to us the fans, or to the characters of Banjo & Kazooie. They're incredible characters with tons of personality, their games were big sellers, they'd fit in way more than any of those Fire Emblem characters and especially someone like Cloud Strife and would be much more appreciated in Smash than any of them. They need this game. They need it. We need it. Please Sakurai, bring them home!!!
Your not alone. Rayman and Crash Bandicoot is still sitting out in the cold (not to mention Geno and Tails but at least their franchises are in).

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's irritating with Verge giving that leaker credibility that I even have to consider the possibility Steve's in. There is a possibility since only one Verge source has said it, others saying assist/stage, and this leaker (presumably) only hearing it from one but blurting it out, that Steve is the leaker trap. But it could just be me rationalizing what I would consider being a terrible outcome.

But I have to be honest about my feelings. If Sakurai ignores Banjo & Kazooie as former Nintendo All-Stars, if he ignores the high fan demand (where Steve received little), ignores Banjo & Kazooies potential for a unique move-set... While it's ultimately Sakurai's decision, it's my money and my choice--if Steve's in, and Banjo's not, I'm out. It's not entitlement as I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do, just explaining how I would feel--not every game is for everyone, and under those circumstances, it wouldn't be the game for me.

I'm going to re-watch the promotional video I had on VHS as a kid, watching it over and over again--enjoying seeing sneak peaks at stages I had yet to get to, learning every possible detail as I could. I'll feed my childhood nostalgia, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
even if nintendo had banjo IP & did nothing with it, at least there would be a chance for banjo to be in mario spin off games & smash already so i still would of rather nintendo keept banjo as we would of had more then just N&B with nintendo by now

volbound1700

Smash Master
I saw that today and forgot to mention it. This is HUGE for Banjo-Kazooie's chances. Here is why...

The biggest game on N64 historically was Goldeneye. No way you can sell the nostalgia of the 64 without it. This means Nintendo needs to enter an agreement with Microsoft/Rare to get some of the IP (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.).

Granted, I guess they could release without this IP but it wouldn't be a miss on sales opportunity. Nintendo has Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, OOT, Majora, and some other titles to lean on but Goldeneye was the game that drove hype for that system.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
SuperiorYoshi87 SuperiorYoshi87 everyone @ Nintendo Xbox rare & phil spenser ! WE NEED BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE & DIDDY KONG RACING ON THAT N64 CLASSIC MINI ! LET ARE VOICES BE HEARD!!!!!

as much as i LOVE the idea of an N64 the N64 was a NINTENDO & RARE cosole so much so not having iconic rare titles on it would make me insta not wana buy it ! (its bad enuff Snes classic missed out on DKC2 !!!)

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
even if nintendo had banjo IP & did nothing with it, at least there would be a chance for banjo to be in mario spin off games & smash already so i still would of rather nintendo keept banjo as we would of had more then just N&B with nintendo by now
Actually, I think Banjo would be tied with the DKC series. IMO, it fits and their is canon for it with Diddy Kong racing.

volbound1700

Smash Master
There was a leak on 4chan of an Oct 6 direct. That same leak also stated that both Geno and Isaac will be revealed and that Sakurai had originally intend to hold them until later but has a new bigger announcement coming recently. This leak is NOT likely true but if true, it could coincide with 64 announcement and mean Banjo is the big news. It would be a very Sakurai thing to do. Granted, I think the roster is in place and set by E3 and most of the rest of the time is being spent on modes, play-testing, art, etc.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I felt obligated to say this.

But i don't personally believe that Sakurai would let Steve come into smash, but not Banjo.

Banjo has much BETTER chances of getting into smash, and i believe you guys deserve it after waiting for so long.

Regardless if Verge is backing up this "minecraft might be a playable character" rumor, there's no way i believe this.

I am ROOTING for banjo in smash. Let's hope he's in.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Vergeben didn't see King K Rool coming. He stated Simon would be at E3. From his threads, I think he is a good guesser but not a true leaker. Either that or Sakurai is even doing a great job keeping the information hush-hush within his own company.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This has been a roller-coaster of emotions. Not sure what to think about this, as it's not necessarily new, but more evidence pointing to a N64 mini. Even the author didn't give any evidence for it coming out this December, other than that it makes sense. But I'll re-iterate my thoughts. I feel like Goldeneye or any M rated game, no matter how popular, would probably not be on it as Nintendo would want to make it a console for all ages, not to mention the extra legal issues. I would love Goldeneye and Conker, though. Other Rare titles are more likely, though still have the legal issues, unless Nintendo and Microsoft really do have a great partnership with each other and this is the result of that. I can only really see Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo-Kazooie being in, as much as I'd really want Banjo-Tooie. It seems like the N64 Classic will have less games than the SNES classic, and that really only gets us to around 10-15 games. Would be nice to have all 3, in exchange for not getting Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Conker. However, if the N64 Classic doesn't have Rare titles--then it doesn't appeal to me. I can play all the N64 games I want to on the Wii U, except the Rare games that I loved.

However, I would trade and N64 mini with Rare titles for Banjo in Smash in a heartbeat. Hopefully, we get both.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If they don't put Banjo-Kazooie on the N64 Classic, Nintendo missed out on a huge opportunity.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the N64 icons, guaranteeing a giant boost in sales, and just making tons of fans happy in general. If they don't try and license them...dang...

Vergeben didn't see King K Rool coming. He stated Simon would be at E3. From his threads, I think he is a good guesser but not a true leaker. Either that or Sakurai is even doing a great job keeping the information hush-hush within his own company.
He only said Ridley was at E3; he mentioned Simon in the same post, but his name came after Ridley at E3.

I wouldn't be against Steve; while, yes, I'd much rather have B-K (despite me liking MC as well), he at least opens up the door to Microsoft. Of course, Steve might not even be playable.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie deserve the spot far more than a boring and ugly character like Minecraft Steve does. BK was an icon of the N64 days. It would frankly be insulting to put in Steve over them.

To be honest I just can't trust Verge. The guy can't commit to anything and always passes the buck to his sources. I think it's more likely we're getting a Minecraft stage and a Creeper assist trophy. That would be a much better way to represent the series in Smash.

Top Bottom