• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Speaking of behalf of Adeleine, I feel that she wouldn't necessarily be fit to steal the spotlight from Bandana Dee.

Of course, this is upon the assumption that Spirits don't deconfirm fighters. If they do and Nintendo is looking for a new Kirby rep, then sure, I could see her getting in. Of course, this would also apply to any other Kirby character who isn't a Spirit, so pin-pointing her specifically is questionable in my view.

Otherwise, Bandana Dee has much more appeal and represents more of the Kirby series than Adeleine would. Since Sakurai is picking characters only based on if a moveset can be made from them, I can't see why Bandana Dee would be a tough character to develop, especially given the abilities and moves that he gained over the years since Ultimate was in development. That, combined with his popularity, would make for a more potent seller.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
How many times do I have to say this? Spirits don't deconfirm characters.
- Currently playable characters like Daisy and K. Rool have spirits.
- The only reason Plant doesn't have a spirit is either because we haven't seen it, or he was decided before the spirits were finalized. He was also decided separately from the other DLC characters.
- Spirits are basically trophies in that they're "you tried, here's a trophy/spirit because we know you exist", which is relevant because Mewtwo and Lucas had 2 and 1 trophies respectively before they were added as DLC in 4.
While I REALLY hate to rain on a parade-

1) Daisy only has one Spirit, and it's a Fighter Spirit, one specifically for the playable character. K Rool has a Fighter Spirit, and his alternate forms have regular Spirits. The key difference being the original, vanilla Rool is playable, and alternates of him are Spirits. Same applies to every other fighter with non-Fighter Spirits, they're alternates of a base character. The plain, vanilla Bandana Dee is already a regular Spirit, which doesn't bode well.
2) Given the game has been thoroughly combed, it's more than likely all have been found. Piranha Plant may be a special case with Spirit-to-DLC relations, but playing with 'may be' is dangerous, especially considering the DLC seemed to be planned out much further in advance this time around.
3) Mewtwo and Lucas were both past veterans. Dee would be an all-new character. Not an entirely different case, but something to keep in mind. I agree Spirits are essentially equal to regular Trophies, but bringing back a veteran is very different from making an all-new character.

I don't want to be the negative Nancy in the room, but these aren't particularly strong points in his favor right now. There is always hope, I'd still like him to make it in the end, but things aren't looking good.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Royalty1702 Royalty1702 : I don't see why Plant decides the fate of characters that have Spirits. It seems like it was planned for base, but was either late or given much lower priority. They eventually realized that they couldn't finish it in time and pushed it off to early DLC to focus on polishing the rest of the game. Unlike Mewtwo, they showed gameplay footage in the announcement, so they got pretty far with it. They would have had no reason to include a Spirit for a character that they had started work on that long ago..
1. No, clearly PP DLC was planned since at least September. https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fk0yw/potential_dlc_fighters/e5y2g4v/?context=3 (this was posted 2 months ago)
2. That said, if PP was planned beforehand, who's to say the Fighters Pass DLC didn't either? The fact that DLC was predetermined at least a year ago is supported by the Rex Mii Costume being a consolation prize because XC2 came out too late (December 2017). Therefore, Spirits and DLC were predetermined and Spirits deconfirm.
3. Again, the only argument you can make against me is: deconfirming characters would make DLC too obvious. For example, Porky is most likely DLC due to not being in the files.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
1. No, clearly PP DLC was planned since at least September. https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fk0yw/potential_dlc_fighters/e5y2g4v/?context=3 (this was posted 2 months ago)
2. That said, if PP was planned beforehand, who's to say the Fighters Pass DLC didn't either? The fact that DLC was predetermined at least a year ago is supported by the Rex Mii Costume being a consolation prize because XC2 came out too late (December 2017). Therefore, Spirits and DLC were predetermined and Spirits deconfirm.
Remember, Piranha Plant isn't even part of the official DLC pack. He's simply a pre-order bonus that's free for a limited time. I'm pretty sure that they started working on the actual DLC, planning and all, once the game actually went gold. Then they consulted Nintendo for the DLC picks, and went from there.

On the topic of Rex, I believe that they were specifically talking about him missing the base roster of fighters. He could've been included as a fighter from a newer game like Incineroar was, but only if Xenoblade 2 was in development around the same time as Pokemon: Sun and Moon. Otherwise, the losses would have to be cut, and they were.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Remember, Piranha Plant isn't even part of the official DLC pack. He's simply a pre-order bonus that's free for a limited time. I'm pretty sure that they started working on the actual DLC, planning and all, once the game actually went gold. Then they consulted Nintendo for the DLC picks, and went from there.
1. I'm aware that PP isn't apart of the Pass. That's not my point. If PP (a DLC character, pass or not) was likely planned way beforehand, who's to say the pass wasn't either?
2. You didn't acknowledge how Rex Mii costume was a consolation prize because his game was way too late (Dec 2017). It's more likely that Nintendo chose the DLC characters before XC2's release.
Edit: Then, why would they talk about him during the DLC part of the direct? Why would they give XC2 music if it wasn't a consolation prize for being too late?

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
1. I'm aware that PP isn't apart of the Pass. That's not my point. If PP (a DLC character, pass or not) was likely planned way beforehand, who's to say the pass wasn't either?
2. You didn't acknowledge how Rex Mii costume was a consolation prize because his game was way too late (Dec 2017). It's more likely that Nintendo chose the DLC characters before XC2's release.
1. So, is there definite proof that the DLC characters were chosen beforehand, or is that speculation? Heck, Sakurai even said "on a separate note" in the Direct before discussing Piranha Plant, which causes me to think that there is no correlation between Piranha Plant and the DLC characters. The pass was probably planned beforehand, but the fighters in the pass weren't to be discussed until the base game was finished in my view.

2. I still believe that the Xenoblade 2 content was a consolation prize for the base game, not DLC. Like how Spring Man was turned into an Assist Trophy for being late to the party as well. Since it's not up to Sakurai to decide who the DLC contenders are, obviously he would have to give something to the Xenoblade fans, just in case Nintendo wasn't picking a Xenoblade fighter for DLC in the future. Sakurai was simply planning ahead.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
1. So, is there definite proof that the DLC characters were chosen beforehand, or is that speculation? Heck, Sakurai even said "on a separate note" in the Direct before discussing Piranha Plant, which causes me to think that there is no correlation between Piranha Plant and the DLC characters. The pass was probably planned beforehand, but the fighters in the pass weren't to be discussed until the base game was finished in my view.

2. I still believe that the Xenoblade 2 content was a consolation prize for the base game, not DLC. Like how Spring Man was turned into an Assist Trophy for being late to the party as well. Since it's not up to Sakurai to decide who the DLC contenders are, obviously he would have to give something to the Xenoblade fans, just in case Nintendo wasn't picking a Xenoblade fighter for DLC in the future. Sakurai was simply planning ahead.
Who knows at this point?

11th

Smash Apprentice
Royalty1702 Royalty1702 :
It's pretty playable though just some minor graphical bugs last I checked.
That was in mid-September, which means that it was in production well before then. A new character usually takes 8-9 months to be finished. Plant will probably be made available in early February, but finished by early January so that they can get everything set up and do any last-minute bug and balance testing. That means that development on it started in June at the absolute latest, when base game was still in late-ish development. That's more than enough time to pull a few Spirits out of rotation.

Keep in mind that I'm also on the side of Spirits (soft) disconfirming characters, and have been since the Direct. However, Plant is not a good indicator because of when it went into development, so until we know more about the unannounced DLC we have no way of definitively saying that they do or do not.

LYD

Smash Rookie
I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I think a big reason for me beleiving that spirits don’t deconfirm DLC is because—let’s be honest—if we saw that all Kirby characters but Bandana Dee were spirits, he’d be pretty much confirmed as DLC. I really think they just added the spirits not to give away the 1st party DLC picks. Anyway, consider me a supporter for Bandana Dee (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Banjo? Or Conker? Maybe Master Chief? Freaking Voodoo Vince would fit into Smash.
Yes, too raunchy(On the verbal side), maybe, and I don't even know who that is.
Rash from Battletoads, you lot forgot him.

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I think a big reason for me beleiving that spirits don’t deconfirm DLC is because—let’s be honest—if we saw that all Kirby characters but Bandana Dee were spirits, he’d be pretty much confirmed as DLC. I really think they just added the spirits not to give away the 1st party DLC picks. Anyway, consider me a supporter for Bandana Dee (v(- ' ' -)>↑
I can agree with this. Let me use a card analogy for a moment; you don't show your hand to the opponents right after the game starts, that's counterintuitive.

Until further notice, this is looking more and more like a fan rule to me.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Ugh. I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee (and Toad for some reason) were both revealed and I woke up so relieved only to realize it was a dream. This is torture.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I think I've given up on Dee at this point. No Piranha Plant spirit. No reason to even think that the DLC was just chosen this month Heck, Rex was too late to be in the game because XC2 launched too late (December 2017). That being said, DLC was most likely planned by Nintendo over a year ago and spirits deconfirm fighters. At least that's my POV.
Looking on the brighter side, I'd say that even if spirits deconfirm fighters, surely it would only be for Season 1 DLC.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'd argue Adeleine is unlikely because if DLC was chosen over a year ago. it means her appearance and popularity in Star Allies wouldn't mean anything because SA released this year. Ado would only have TWO majors appearances from almost two decades ago.
Unless they were planning to bring her back in the mainstream from the get go.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
DLC was not chosen a year ago, it was chosen recently. Piranha plant was supposed to be part of the base roster, and pushed until later. Maybe one or two of the fighter pass were also meant for the base game, but with Sakurai saying "the DLC is now decided" as well as some things an insider said, there's no way. Sakurai doesn't think about DLC until after the base game is done.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
DLC was not chosen a year ago, it was chosen recently. Piranha plant was supposed to be part of the base roster, and pushed until later. Maybe one or two of the fighter pass were also meant for the base game, but with Sakurai saying "the DLC is now decided" as well as some things an insider said, there's no way. Sakurai doesn't think about DLC until after the base game is done.
Thought someone should clarify that this is all speculation and not fact.

11th

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why I thought of his, but I felt the need to draw it.
Who needs a parasol?
BanDee-Float-11-25-18.gif

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
So if the dlc was picked recently, does that mean the "deserves his prize" hint is no longer a hint? Or did they discuss Bandana Dee early on, but couldn't get him in base due to time restrictions?

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
1. Source (for the claim in bold)?
2. "Now" doesn't have to mean "right now specifically" in its context. It can also mean "already" as in: the DLC has already (now) been finalized.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
So if the dlc was picked recently, does that mean the "deserves his prize" hint is no longer a hint? Or did they discuss Bandana Dee early on, but couldn't get him in base due to time restrictions?
Considering that practically every potential fighter who didn't make it onto the base roster is a Spirit, I believe that it's not much of a hint anymore.
Perhaps Nintendo/Sakurai shall decide if he still deserves a prize or not...

D

Deleted member

So Bandana Dee is a spirit?

Shucks guys sorry.

Still not giving up till we know all DLC though I'll be gone from here by then and watching from afar. But still darn.

Still not giving up though.

puppylover416

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post, double posting(please edit your messages instead)
Ugh. I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee (and Toad for some reason) were both revealed and I woke up so relieved only to realize it was a dream. This is torture.
Once I had a dream that Banjo was announced. I don't even care about him that much like what the heck

So Bandana Dee is a spirit?

Shucks guys sorry.

Still not giving up till we know all DLC though I'll be gone from here by then and watching from afar. But still darn.

Still not giving up though.
Wasn't that just a plain old waddle dee or am i missing something from that big huge datamine?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
1. Source (for the claim in bold)?
2. "Now" doesn't have to mean "right now specifically" in its context. It can also mean "already" as in: the DLC has already (now) been finalized.

This video responds to the second claim, I guess I must have assumed the former one because I remember it coming from this. Still, the empty slot that was scrubbed from the game likely was Piranha Plant, and someone knew about P Plant in like August (we didnt believe them or care though)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah I see again Smashboards on top of everything.

I see yeah haven't given up hope myself it may not help his chances but spirits don't de-confirm anything.

Still believe he has a shot.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
We already knew about this quite a bit ago. Spirits don't mean anything, though.
I wish there was solid proof that Spirits didn't mean anything.
According to Hitagi, he/she has heard that Spirits are a deconfirmation aside from the main cast. DLC fighters will presumably have a Spirit made for them, although it should be one of the unequippable Fighter Spirits that characters from the base roster have.

However, it'd be quite unfair if Sakurai ruled out any possible fighter from the DLC runnings by simply making them a mere Spirit; since he has the final call despite who Nintendo asks for, he could simply pick a fighter who isn't a Spirit yet. On the flipside, he could pick a fighter, let's say our precious Bandana Boy, and simply make a Fighter Spirit, separate from his existing Spirit, using a newer render of his, in theory of course.

StormC

Smash Hero
According to Hitagi, he/she has heard that Spirits are a deconfirmation aside from the main cast. DLC fighters will presumably have a Spirit made for them, although it should be one of the unequippable Fighter Spirits that characters from the base roster have.

However, it'd be quite unfair if Sakurai ruled out any possible fighter from the DLC runnings by simply making them a mere Spirit; since he has the final call despite who Nintendo asks for, he could simply pick a fighter who isn't a Spirit yet. On the flipside, he could pick a fighter, let's say our precious Bandana Boy, and simply make a Fighter Spirit, separate from his existing Spirit, using a newer render of his, in theory of course.
Don't listen to Hitagi. We currently have zero reason to trust their info.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

Hitagi has zero credibility. Don't bother caring about what they say.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Don't listen to Hitagi. We currently have zero reason to trust their info.
Hitagi has zero credibility. Don't bother caring about what they say.
I guess I'm not listening to Hitagi anymore, lol
I mean, they practically appeared out-of-the-blue one day, and is only "reliable" because Vergeben said so...

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'm not listening to Hitagi anymore, lol
I mean, they practically appeared out-of-the-blue one day, and is only "reliable" because Vergeben said so...
I'm still not 100% convinced that Verge will even know what the DLC is, let alone Hitagi. At this point, all his correct info is making me think he has good sources, so I'll trust him, but there's no way I'm trusting some random text leaker that another leaker with a good amount of credibility said might have a few kinda-sorta reliable sources.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I'm still not 100% convinced that Verge will even know what the DLC is, let alone Hitagi. At this point, all his correct info is making me think he has good sources, so I'll trust him, but there's no way I'm trusting some random text leaker that another leaker with a good amount of credibility said might have a few kinda-sorta reliable sources.
That's fair. After all, Vergeben never flat-out claimed what potential
Minecraft content was going to be in Smash until he figured out that it's just a mere boss.

Hitagi's just a kiss up that used Verge as a shield as soon as it became apparent that his info was bogus.
Yeah, I did find it to be a little fishy that Hitagi was all of sudden credible just because his "information" lined up nicely with Verge's...

Top Bottom