• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
This is my first time posting in here, I just wanted to show my support for the little guy. I used to think he was just a goomba in a hat a few years back, but I've really come to love the guy in recent times after playing a lot of the modern Kirby games.
Aaaand we lost. We're not in a good spot, TBH. Only the most highly or least highly requested characters really have a chance of getting in. Anyone near the middle gets turned into a Spirit, Mii Costume or AT on the spot. Losing in Semis is not good at all.
You say this like BWD isn't one of the most popular character choices. Hell, I'd honestly say he's probably the most wanted first party character right now. I feel if we do get any first party, non-spirit DLC characters, he's easily one of the top contenders due to both his very high popularity, relevancy, and marketability. You shouldn't get disheartened over a Twitter poll, much less on one where Dee did very well anyway.

I understand that things can look bleak during this time where it seems things are going to be third party only, but the good thing about BWD is that he's a popular enough character that he'll always stick around. I really feel that he isn't a "Will he get in?" but rather a "When will he get in?" sort of thing. Just gotta keep your spirits high.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My issue with Bandana Waddle Dee is that I always expect him, but I don't want him enough to demand him.
Does that make sense?

D

Deleted member

Kirby huh? Yeah I think he could use some changes maybe moves based on Fire, Cutter, Beam and, Ice Kirby added to his ground and aerial moves could be a good starter.

But yes he needs an overhaul in moves.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby needs either more strength, more range or (most importantly) faster moves to make up for his lack of speed and weight.

He just needs an enormous overhaul.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
at glasgow comic con on saturaday i saw someone wearing at hat the looked like kirby trying to inhale him

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
How do all of you feel about kirby Moveset? And can it be better?
he could do with a moveset overhaul. Moves that can stay (although could be buffed):
Rapid jab (finisher is obnoxiously heavy on endlag)
His tilts (they're all pretty good tbh)
Dash Attack (incorporates an ability, also a decent move)
F-smash (also pretty good, and fits an ability)
F-air and D-air (personal bias, I like the moves)
Inhale (a bit faster in startup and endlag, make copy abilities more rewarding to obtain)
the minor attacks (edge/get-up attacks)
Final Smash
Moves that could be changed:
Up Smash (could be based on the Stone Uppercut attack from recent Kirby games, or Gazer Spiral from Yo-Yo, if we want one with crazy vertical range like Ivy up-tilt)
Down-Smash (as much as I want to replace this with an ability, I can't think of what to replace it with. maybe the Mirror Body attack from Mirror?)
N-air (either Super Ice Sprinkle or Spinning Fire Breath)
B-air (this is a 50-50 on staying or changing as I can't think of a replacement)
Up-air (Rainbow Rain perhaps)
Side-B (Beam Whip/Wave Beam if charged, give Kirby a good projectile)
Unsure:
Up-B, Down-B: While I feel they could be better, I dunno if they exactly need replacing.

This is my idea, but I'm probably missing some things. I tried to avoid abilities that give weapons for the normals (except Gazer Spiral, but that's a possible, vs the Stone Uppercut)

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
BandDee appears in the background on the Kirby update for Tetris 99. Its not much, but I'll take any recognition our little guy can get.

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
heres the changes I make

s/ftilt-Claw Swipe, Arrow Slash, Brush Slash,Ring-ding,Sweep, Cleaving Cutter,
Mirror Cut, Shock(ninja)

Uptilt: stone upper cut,Skyward Web, Up Jab(staff),

Dtilt: slide kick

Dash attack: keep but burst on shield

front/Side smash:love love stick, Pillow Attack, Quad Shock, Parasol Swing, Creative Destruction, Ding Finale, Broom Flick

Up smash: Pillow Uppercut,Needle Burst,mega needle, Sparking Plasma Bullet, Plasma scatter, Net Work, Mighty Uppercut, Flame Baton,Spray Medicine,
Science Lab, Leaf Uppercut, giant claws,

Down smash: spark,Blossom Storm, Yo-Yo Orbit, Balloon Pop Art, Mirror Body,Mirror Body(Ring)

Nair: Needle, Super Ice Sprinkle, Fireball Spin,Revolution Beam, Bandage Spin

B air: Pharmacy, give douple kick its energy wave

F air: air bullet

U air: Moon Somersault Kick,Leaf Attack

D air: Falling Spine, Ninja Kick, Parasol Drill, Falling Gust,Cutter Drop, ice skates

Pummle: Maul

Neutral B: copy(but fix it)

Up B: high jump(3 levels of power), Acrobatics,Missile

Side B: wheel,Pop(balloon but it a counter that stuns), Bomb,Super Fireball, Dynamite, drill

Down B: Bell Block, Self-Destruct, exploding snowman,Refrigerator, lighting rod, Spike Bomb,PK Insight(counter for melee and projectiles), Psychokinesis

shield:parasol Shield,Ice Block

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
he could do with a moveset overhaul. Moves that can stay (although could be buffed):
Rapid jab (finisher is obnoxiously heavy on endlag)
His tilts (they're all pretty good tbh)
Dash Attack (incorporates an ability, also a decent move)
F-smash (also pretty good, and fits an ability)
F-air and D-air (personal bias, I like the moves)
Inhale (a bit faster in startup and endlag, make copy abilities more rewarding to obtain)
the minor attacks (edge/get-up attacks)
Final Smash
Moves that could be changed:
Up Smash (could be based on the Stone Uppercut attack from recent Kirby games, or Gazer Spiral from Yo-Yo, if we want one with crazy vertical range like Ivy up-tilt)
Down-Smash (as much as I want to replace this with an ability, I can't think of what to replace it with. maybe the Mirror Body attack from Mirror?)
N-air (either Super Ice Sprinkle or Spinning Fire Breath)
B-air (this is a 50-50 on staying or changing as I can't think of a replacement)
Up-air (Rainbow Rain perhaps)
Side-B (Beam Whip/Wave Beam if charged, give Kirby a good projectile)
Unsure:
Up-B, Down-B: While I feel they could be better, I dunno if they exactly need replacing.

This is my idea, but I'm probably missing some things. I tried to avoid abilities that give weapons for the normals (except Gazer Spiral, but that's a possible, vs the Stone Uppercut)
I was looking at how you were unsure about Up Special and Down Special and I got an idea: change his special moves completely depending on whether or not he's in the air. For example, if Kirby's on the ground, he'll use move A, but if he's in the air, he'll use a completely different move B. It'd be just like how Kirby has different moves for his Copy Abilities depending on whether he's on the ground or in the air.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Neutral B: Inhale. Stays the same both for ground and the air. Allow choice to spit all projectiles or use them to heal you (not one or the other). Spitting is treated similarly to reflecting, while swallowing is treated similarly to absorbing. Move in general has a lot less lag.

Side B Ground: Hammer Flip. Same as before, but more power when charged, less time before minimum charge and less end lag.
Side B Air: Doctor Cannon. Fires 3 Pills in front of Kirby at the same time but in slightly different arcs. Gives Kirby a somewhat more reliable projectile to use.

Up B Ground: Final Cutter. Same move, but now emphasized as an attack.
Up B Air: Hi-Jump. Picture Lucario's Up B, but at a fixed range

Down B Ground: Water Spout. Releases a stream of high-pressure water out of Kirby's Water Hat that damages enemies (it'd be useless if it only pushed them)
Down B Air: Stone. Same as before, but stronger, has hotboxes like Yoshi and Bowser's Ground Pounds and does more damage to shields.

Also, I got a couple other ideas I came up with:

Down-Tilt: Mirror. Kirby duplicates himself and goes in 2 different directions for slight damage.

Forward Air: Beam. The same beam we know and love. Does small damage but has a huge hitbox (thought it would work better as an air than a special)

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I was looking at how you were unsure about Up Special and Down Special and I got an idea: change his special moves completely depending on whether or not he's in the air. For example, if Kirby's on the ground, he'll use move A, but if he's in the air, he'll use a completely different move B. It'd be just like how Kirby has different moves for his Copy Abilities depending on whether he's on the ground or in the air.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Neutral B: Inhale. Stays the same both for ground and the air. Allow choice to spit all projectiles or use them to heal you (not one or the other). Spitting is treated similarly to reflecting, while swallowing is treated similarly to absorbing. Move in general has a lot less lag.

Side B Ground: Hammer Flip. Same as before, but more power when charged, less time before minimum charge and less end lag.
Side B Air: Doctor Cannon. Fires 3 Pills in front of Kirby at the same time but in slightly different arcs. Gives Kirby a somewhat more reliable projectile to use.

Up B Ground: Final Cutter. Same move, but now emphasized as an attack.
Up B Air: Hi-Jump. Picture Lucario's Up B, but at a fixed range

Down B Ground: Water Spout. Releases a stream of high-pressure water out of Kirby's Water Hat that damages enemies (it'd be useless if it only pushed them)
Down B Air: Stone. Same as before, but stronger, has hotboxes like Yoshi and Bowser's Ground Pounds and does more damage to shields.

Also, I got a couple other ideas I came up with:

Down-Tilt: Mirror. Kirby duplicates himself and goes in 2 different directions for slight damage.

Forward Air: Beam. The same beam we know and love. Does small damage but has a huge hitbox (thought it would work better as an air than a special)
something that I forgot to mention but could be possible, have an aerial side-b that isn't held be Beam Blast. Your suggestion also works.

The idea of the move changing depending on character state is an interesting one. I think that Water Spout/Geyser as the grounded down-b may be confusing (it's a down-b that fires upwards), but I could see it working somewhat similar to Ptooie in that. However, I do have a grounded down-b idea:
Blossom Storm. That move from Ninja that causes a cherry blossom-inspired explosion. It could have a bit of startup but it could be a very good landing catching move and would super shift his hurtbox for the duration, possibly allowing him to jump projectiles, and as a good burst vertical movement option. It could also have the possibility of KOing at high %'s.

As for Inhale, it should absolutely be buffed. Firstly, cut the endlag if he swallows a projectile. By the time he eats one, another could be fired, completely negating damage healed. Also, increase the %age healed to match the damage the projectile would deal. It'd make it much more useful to swallow, and deter camping if Kirby could heal 30% from a Charge Shot camper at once. although if that's too much, 50% of potential damage dealt being healed could also work.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
How do all of you feel about kirby Moveset? And can it be better?
It genuinely sucks.
I remember Sakurai saying that they made Kirby to be a very accessible character, (which is why you play as him first in WOL), but for whatever reason, I feel that he's just referring to the 5 jumps he gets when he's knocked away from the stage or something.

Because otherwise, his moveset is still pathetic on top of him being a lightweight punching bag.

I think he'd be better with more range for his Fighter Kirby based attacks, actual reliable moves instead of stone, and no purely situational moves like Hammer.

Last edited:

P47

Smash Apprentice
Good lord is the AI is complete garbage during The True Final Battle EX. How are you supposed to win without grinding for better armor (even though I already have the Drawcian Garb SDX)?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sad news may he rest in peace.

Always heartbreaking to hear news like that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Rest in peace, a great lawyer. He was the reason we still have things like Donkey Kong and Mario.

I feel as if news like this comes all too often.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Rest in peace, a great lawyer. He was the reason we still have things like Donkey Kong and Mario.

I feel as if news like this comes all too often.
Unfortunately, this point in history is the point where all the icons of the previous age are ageing and therefore, some are passing away as a result of that. It is an unfortunate yet necessary part of life.
May he rest in peace.
BandanaDeeSSU3.png

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, I don't suppose anyone has seen this?

It's been making the rounds for about a week now, and I'll say this much: Why, Sakurai? WHY did you have to deprive me of hearing my little blessed blob talk in his own anime?

Quick disclaimer, this audio is taken from a Kirby's Adventure Drama CD that was released in 1994, so this is NOT Makiko Ohmoto, but instead Taeko Kawata (i.e. Japanese Amy Rose, Shizuka Joestar, Arale Norimaki, and a couple of voices in the Pretty Cure franchise).

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hey, I don't suppose anyone has seen this?

It's been making the rounds for about a week now, and I'll say this much: Why, Sakurai? WHY did you have to deprive me of hearing my little blessed blob talk in his own anime?

Quick disclaimer, this audio is taken from a Kirby's Adventure Drama CD that was released in 1994, so this is NOT Makiko Ohmoto, but instead Taeko Kawata (i.e. Japanese Amy Rose, Shizuka Joestar, Arale Norimaki, and a couple of voices in the Pretty Cure franchise).
Would love to see someone translate this. Sadly, it doesn't appear anyone's taken up the task.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Would love to see someone translate this. Sadly, it doesn't appear anyone's taken up the task.
Actually, it's funny you say that as someone HAS translated a portion of it as seen here:

This being the case, I sure hope someone decides to translate the Drama CD in its entirety soon! You know, I've seen a lot of people who've watched this claim that until they saw this, they were against the idea of Kirby talking in-game, but now they want him to talk 100% of the time.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Actually, it's funny you say that as someone HAS translated a portion of it as seen here:

This being the case, I sure hope someone decides to translate the Drama CD in its entirety soon! You know, I've seen a lot of people who've watched this claim that until they saw this, they were against the idea of Kirby talking in-game, but now they want him to talk 100% of the time.
wait... the "Kirby on the phone" video was posted before that specific Drama CD video. But the audio has actually been on Youtube for almost a decade:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Hope everyone had a fun (and safe) Halloween! It was pretty stormy here, unfortunately, so most people didn't bother with trying to go out.

Here's a late little treat:
BanDee Apple Lantern 10-31-19.png

D

Deleted member

Would be really cool if we had one definetly could see another Kirby game.

In the Nintendo Switch's life cycle.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Would be really cool if we had one definetly could see another Kirby game.

In the Nintendo Switch's life cycle.
we probably will. it seems that all successful Nintendo consoles get multiple main Kirby games (except the NES, but that was very old by the time Kirby existed). At this point in the DS's life cycle we had two main Kirby games, one of which was non-traditional main.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
we probably will. it seems that all successful Nintendo consoles get multiple main Kirby games (except the NES, but that was very old by the time Kirby existed). At this point in the DS's life cycle we had two main Kirby games, one of which was non-traditional main.
Honestly hoping we can get Kirby 64 on switch through NSO. That would be great! The soundtrack always makes me feel sleepy...

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
This thread has been a little quiet lately it seems. I still really want BWD but I haven't talked about him in a good while since I'm more focused on Isaac...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78123833

It's a poll from GameFAQs about what 1st parties should be added to Smash already. Look, I LOVE Toad, Waluigi, Geno, and ESPECIALLY Dixie Kong as much as the next guy, but I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is REALLY lagging behind and not getting the credit he deserves here, so please show the little guy your support.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
all things considered, Geno is also oddly behind in that poll. Granted, he shouldn't exactly be in the poll since he's not a first party, and it's a 1st party poll, but semantics.
While Geno is technically a Mario character and is a VERY popular requested character in the Smash community, I don't see him as a important Nintendo icon that's truly missing from the game's roster like Dixie Kong, Toad, Bandana Dee, Pig Ganon, and Waluigi.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78123833

It's a poll from GameFAQs about what 1st parties should be added to Smash already. Look, I LOVE Toad, Waluigi, Geno, and ESPECIALLY Dixie Kong as much as the next guy, but I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is REALLY lagging behind and not getting the credit he deserves here, so please show the little guy your support.
nice to see toad on top of the mario trio

though geno isnt technically a nintendo character

Top Bottom