• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

D

Deleted member

Still think he has a chance.

But good to be cautious.

Never know what will happen with this DLC.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Still think he has a chance.

But good to be cautious.

Never know what will happen with this DLC.
I agree. I'd love to see BWD, and oh boy I'd scream if he was announced, but I'm not setting an expectations. If you don't set any expectations, then you won't have any ruined if the worst case scenario comes about.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
My main point of debate right now is if there will be two first parties, or three. I feel that one, either third parties or first parties, will get one more than the other; an almost equal split. If there's three first parties, I think Dee is firmly in the race, but if there's only two first parties, the competition will be a lot more cutthroat and I could see it coming down to him or Dixie, assuming we have Porky as one of the first parties.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree. I'd love to see BWD, and oh boy I'd scream if he was announced, but I'm not setting an expectations. If you don't set any expectations, then you won't have any ruined if the worst case scenario comes about.
Now that's being smart.

My main point of debate right now is if there will be two first parties, or three. I feel that one, either third parties or first parties, will get one more than the other; an almost equal split. If there's three first parties, I think Dee is firmly in the race, but if there's only two first parties, the competition will be a lot more cutthroat and I could see it coming down to him or Dixie, assuming we have Porky as one of the first parties.
Seems logical. I'm leaning towards two third parties myself, although I suspect my prediction will get proven wrong anyways.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well then, guts, let's all agree Dee will never be a pipe dream. Not ever.
Sorry, but I can't do that. Bandana Dee being a spirit pretty much confirmed that he's so much of an afterthought that they couldn't even make him more than an existing PNG file. And on top of that, he's an enhanced Waddle Dee... so he's literally just a Goomba with a Hat and Spear. If Bandana Dee was gonna be a fighter, he wouldn't have been a spirit at all, since they could have just swapped him out for Parasol Waddle Dee with the same boosts and type, since there's no spirit battle to worry about! And the fact that all major Kirby content is going to be from Sakurai's games again and the high odds of another Sakurai-era Kirby character just confirms that the only way Bandana Dee's gonna stand an actual chance is that there's a Smash game with a non-Sakurai director at the helm, so I think Bandana Dee's gonna be a pipe-dream for a long time.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey, how did you guys know about my garden?!?

Err, anyways, Bandana Waddle Dee is the full name, no surprise there. Sucks that he's an enhanced Waddle Dee. I... really think he's a pipe dream now. :urg:
That said, I don't see Adeline as any more likely unfortunately, as she's not the only missing Kirby character.

On the plus, the small plus, he's an ace, one of the strongest spirits in the game. If he had to be a spirit, I'm at least glad he's rather strong.
No offense but I really think you need to dial down on the pessimism, like if you think his chances are looking uneven that’s one thing, but to call him a pipe dream?

When he’s one of the most popular supported characters right now? When he’s a Kirby mainstay and has been heavily promoted by HAL and Nintendo? When he’s even in Smash to begin with?

Like come on, it’s good to set your expectations, but try to stay optimistic at the same time, cause I’ve seen a lot of pessimism from you and tbh I would say it’d be best if you just tried looking at the bright side of his chances, that is all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Could this character sell?" is the question that should be asked when making DLC, not "Is this character already in the game in some form?"

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Sorry, but I can't do that. Bandana Dee being a spirit pretty much confirmed that he's so much of an afterthought that they couldn't even make him more than an existing PNG file. And on top of that, he's an enhanced Waddle Dee... so he's literally just a Goomba with a Hat and Spear. If Bandana Dee was gonna be a fighter, he wouldn't have been a spirit at all, since they could have just swapped him out for Parasol Waddle Dee with the same boosts and type, since there's no spirit battle to worry about! And the fact that all major Kirby content is going to be from Sakurai's games again and the high odds of another Sakurai-era Kirby character just confirms that the only way Bandana Dee's gonna stand an actual chance is that there's a Smash game with a non-Sakurai director at the helm, so I think Bandana Dee's gonna be a pipe-dream for a long time.
Did you put too much seasoning on your French fries last night?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll say this much the spirit looks awesome at least.

Definetly going to keep expectations on check.

But I believe Bandana Dee has a chance.

Will until we know all DLC!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
No offense but I really think you need to dial down on the pessimism, like if you think his chances are looking uneven that’s one thing, but to call him a pipe dream?

When he’s one of the most popular supported characters right now? When he’s a Kirby mainstay and has been heavily promoted by HAL and Nintendo? When he’s even in Smash to begin with?

Like come on, it’s good to set your expectations, but try to stay optimistic at the same time, cause I’ve seen a lot of pessimism from you and tbh I would say it’d be best if you just tried looking at the bright side of his chances, that is all.
Err, sorry, perhaps I should've elaborated. I didn't mean that he's forever a pipe dream, I just meant that to me, the idea as seeing him as one of the first 5 is lessened a bit. I certainly think he'll get in Smash in the future, especially if games from here on out keep Ultimate's formula and simply add about 6-10 characters with each new release. Heck, even if there's DLC after these 5, I see him as a likely contender. Just... I'm not sure I trust DLC selection after Smash 4's selection, it's made me quite weary. Perhaps Nintendo selecting DLC will mean it'll be different from the Smash 4 team's... ad picks, I suppose only time will tell...

It's quite possible pipe dream wasn't the correct word to use, I wasn't really thinking out what I had typed after seeing he was an enhanced Waddle Dee... and that a certain cartoon creator passed away recently (some of you might very well know who I'm referring to).

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I want Dixie more than Dee, I actually think Dee has the better chance as DLC IMO. Bandana Dee (along with everything Kirby related) is EXTREMELY popular in Japan. Nintendo knows this and I think if we only get 1 or 2 1st party newcomers I think Dee is in the lead. Dixie on the other hand as I much as I love her and feel she definitely should've been added to the series by now, just doesn't seem that popular. Yeah she's got some popularity but it's not OVERWHELMING like I wish it was. She's always like in the top 15 but never like top 5 of people's most wanted (which is crazy to me). People don't seem against her like "Ugh don't add her, she's terrible!" like I saw with K.Rool and Ridley but I think people realize she's a big Nintendo character but at this point they just don't seem to care that much which is a shame. In a perfect world Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong all make it in as DLC but sadly I think it's just gonna be 1 of the 3 and I think Dee has the best chance.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
While I want Dixie more than Dee, I actually think Dee has the better chance as DLC IMO. Bandana Dee (along with everything Kirby related) is EXTREMELY popular in Japan. Nintendo knows this and I think if we only get 1 or 2 1st party newcomers I think Dee is in the lead. Dixie on the other hand as I much as I love her and feel she definitely should've been added to the series by now, just doesn't seem that popular. Yeah she's got some popularity but it's not OVERWHELMING like I wish it was. She's always like in the top 15 but never like top 5 of people's most wanted (which is crazy to me). People don't seem against her like "Ugh don't add her, she's terrible!" like I saw with K.Rool and Ridley but I think people realize she's a big Nintendo character but at this point they just don't seem to care that much which is a shame. In a perfect world Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong all make it in as DLC but sadly I think it's just gonna be 1 of the 3 and I think Dee has the best chance.
There really is nothing against Dixie Kong getting into Smash. Maybe one thing blocking her is her beta inclusion in Brawl. It's not likely, but perhaps Sakurai really had his heart set on adding Diddy and Dixie as a duo, and when he had to break them up, he couldn't think of a unique move set for her? I don't think that's the case (nor a good case), but it's a theory...

Thankfully, Bandana Dee doesn't have a problem like that. He basically comes with a moveset already made.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well then, if you're the only one who's so sure Bandana Dee is a pipe dream, you may want to post about that outside of the support thread.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Right now I'm like:
Geno
Banjo
Porky
Bandanna Dee
Lloyd (Travis/Phoenix/Joker/Tails/Monster Hunter) or Dixie (Sylux/ Promotional Character)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Right now I'm like:
Geno
Banjo
Porky
Bandanna Dee
Lloyd (Travis/Phoenix/Joker/Tails/Monster Hunter) or Dixie (Sylux/ Promotional Character)
That's not out of the ballpark. Those are all possible/likely inclusions.

Also, Sakurai confirmed that Kirby surviving in WoL was not bias, it was a logical decision made by the dev team. And the backwards spelling thing was literally a coincidence.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's not out of the ballpark. Those are all possible/likely inclusions.

Also, Sakurai confirmed that Kirby surviving in WoL was not bias, it was a logical decision made by the dev team. And the backwards spelling thing was literally a coincidence.
Backwards Spelling?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Backwards Spelling?
If you get the Japanese symbols used to spell "World of Light" and reverse them, the spell "Hoshi no Kirby" (I think), which is the title of Kirby.

People thought it was absolute Sakurai bias and tried to use it as evidence that Kirby does not deserve a newcomer, ever.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
If you get the Japanese symbols used to spell "World of Light" and reverse them, the spell "Hoshi no Kirby" (I think), which is the title of Kirby.

People thought it was absolute Sakurai bias and tried to use it as evidence that Kirby does not deserve a newcomer, ever.
Their logic: Small part of the story that determines which ONE fighter you don't have to unlock = Kirby (a Nintendo mainstay with only 3 reps) getting a rep is just as bad as FE getting another rep.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well then, if you're the only one who's so sure Bandana Dee is a pipe dream, you may want to post about that outside of the support thread.
To be fair, that was me who posted with the term "pipe dream," my apologies. I elaborated after in another post how I used the wrong terminology. Still, rather my fault in the end of things.

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
One more day!
I'm interested in seeing if anything else was added to Dee's moveset besides that charging attack.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
SO....if we got Marx's Jester hat. I wonder if at some point if we will get like a susie mii gunner outfit or a magalor mii swordfighter (with their respective weapons of course)? That would be very cool. Btw, I find it extremely awkward that the zelda series has like 4 mii costumes (mostly, 2 links, skull kid, zelda hair) but pokemon has zero, and fire emblem has strange ones. Hitmonchan/lee would be perfect for brawler, and I don't see why we still have the Chrom costume.

Last edited:

GooberHonker

Smash Rookie
Well, here you go.
HE'S STRONGER THAN LANDIA. What an absolute unit.
And I'm not sure if the big "Enhanced" means he's a leveled up Waddle Dee one, but if that's the case I personally think that might make him more likely for DLC. They could just remove the level up from the normal Dee and make this a fighter spirit without losing too much.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
HE'S STRONGER THAN LANDIA. What an absolute unit.
And I'm not sure if the big "Enhanced" means he's a leveled up Waddle Dee one, but if that's the case I personally think that might make him more likely for DLC. They could just remove the level up from the normal Dee and make this a fighter spirit without losing too much.
What if he leveled up to a legendary ULTRA INSTINCT TRUMPET DEE.

D

Deleted member

There really is nothing against Dixie Kong getting into Smash. Maybe one thing blocking her is her beta inclusion in Brawl. It's not likely, but perhaps Sakurai really had his heart set on adding Diddy and Dixie as a duo, and when he had to break them up, he couldn't think of a unique move set for her? I don't think that's the case (nor a good case), but it's a theory...
Actually, Sakurai wanted to make Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong a duo character that switched in and out like in the Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES, but ran into technical problems. Instead of cutting Diddy Kong entirely, he made him a solo fighter.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBB)
As for why he didn't make Dixie Kong a fighter afterwards is unknown, but I'm sure she could be made into a unique fighter or a semi-clone of Diddy.

If I could add two more characters to the roster, it would be Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong. They truly are two massive names to Nintendo and I think they have earned a spot in Smash. I hope to see them both in some day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, Sakurai wanted to make Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong a duo character that switched in and out like in the Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES, but ran into technical problems. Instead of cutting Diddy Kong entirely, he made him a solo fighter.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBB)
As for why he didn't make Dixie Kong a fighter afterwards is unknown, but I'm sure she could be made into a unique fighter or a semi-clone of Diddy.

If I could add two more characters to the roster, it would be Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong. They truly are two massive names to Nintendo and I think they have earned a spot in Smash. I hope to see them both in some day.
In any case, Dixie is at least acknowledged, since she's got a Mii hat at the moment.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Are we sure that miis are hard deconfirmations? I know that Chrom is in, but his character was rushed in last second.
It seems like DLC Mii costumes are seen as consolation prizes - Rex's Mii costume was explicitly treated that way, while it definitely seems like that's why Inkling and K. Rool got Mii costumes in Smash 4.

For the base game, who knows? I don't think we've had a case where a character has a Mii costume in the base game but became DLC for that game later, but Mii costumes and DLC are relatively new for Smash.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It seems like DLC Mii costumes are seen as consolation prizes - Rex's Mii costume was explicitly treated that way, while it definitely seems like that's why Inkling and K. Rool got Mii costumes in Smash 4.

For the base game, who knows? I don't think we've had a case where a character has a Mii costume in the base game but became DLC for that game later, but Mii costumes and DLC are relatively new for Smash.
I guess that makes sense.

Do we know if there are any notable/popular characters who are mii costumes?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I guess that makes sense.

Do we know if there are any notable/popular characters who are mii costumes?
Regarding (somewhat) popular characters that don't have Assist already:

Chibi-Robo, Monster Hunter, Viridi, Ribbon Girl, Lip, Ray MK III, Saki, Dixie (hat only)

Including Assists:

Ashley, Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Spring Man, Takamaru

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Regarding (somewhat) popular characters that don't have Assist already:

Chibi-Robo, Monster Hunter, Viridi, Ribbon Girl, Lip, Ray MK III, Saki, Dixie (hat only)

Including Assists:

Ashley, Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Spring Man, Takamaru
What seems to hang in the balance is if Mii fighters are as hard of deconfirmations as AT's. It seems possible that there could be 1-2 exceptions.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
What seems to hang in the balance is if Mii fighters are as hard of deconfirmations as AT's. It seems possible that there could be 1-2 exceptions.
It's more whether or not base Mii costumes are considered deconfirmations.
I think DLC costumes are deconfirmed (I excluded Rex for this exact reason).
But we've never had a Mii costume promoted to playable within the same game.
But we have seen multiple instances of a costume being promoted to playable eventually. (:ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultchrom:)
And on top of that, they're not the actual character, like Assists. They're just costumes.
We can have a character and a Mii costume for said character exist in the same game.
So... it's hard to say.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's more whether or not base Mii costumes are considered deconfirmations.
I think DLC costumes are deconfirmed (I excluded Rex for this exact reason).
But we've never had a Mii costume promoted to playable within the same game.
But we have seen multiple instances of a costume being promoted to playable eventually. (:ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultchrom:)
And on top of that, they're not the actual character, like Assists. They're just costumes.
We can have a character and a Mii costume for said character exist in the same game.
So... it's hard to say.
Still, it doesn't help that some characters were clearly rushed in at the last moment. I'm guessing this i only for the base game, I can only assume that current mii fighter costumes can act as pretty solid deconfirmations.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Still, it doesn't help that some characters were clearly rushed in at the last moment. I'm guessing this i only for the base game, I can only assume that current mii fighter costumes can act as pretty solid deconfirmations.
Yeah... I'm not too happy with how :ultchrom: looks, but I'll take it over nothing.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
One thing I find hilarious is that to this day no one has ever been able to produce a decent argument against Dee that isn't subjective, factually inaccurate or a grasp at straws. Make you feel good, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom