• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Really hoping CGI cutscenes and cutscenes with dynamic angles (like in Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot). Still wondering why we didn't get stuff like that in Star Allies initially...

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
What do you guys think Bandana Dee's custom tailored Classic mode campaign should be like?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I just realized Dee's biggest chance for DLC is if Sakurai made him into the Smash Bros. equivalent to a shelf filled with Waddle Dee merchandise.

11th

Smash Apprentice
It's times like this that I really wish Kirby had an official English Twitter. Granted, it took them a while just to make a JP one. (It'll be two years old on the 10th, by the way.) Maybe someday...

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Do you think DLC characters will get their own classic mode campaigns?
More than likely. It wouldn't be very hard. It's not like they have to make new trophies for them too.

However, I don't think they'll update anyone else's classic modes, even if they would be fitting. For example, if Kirby's classic mode is all about facing off eaters, it still wouldn't include Piranha Plant, despite being a creature of biting.
That would probably include other DLC characters showing up in a DLC character's classic mode by the chance that they don't have that character. For example, if Bandana Waddle Dee were to make it in, it would be very unlikely to see Piranha Plant in his classic mode due to the chance someone bought Bandana Waddle Dee but didn't redeem Piranha Plant early enough and chose not to buy it.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Who are characters that could fit as other Kirby characters?
Mario, Luigi as fire enemies burning Leo/the one with the birdo face
Puff as Noddy
Pikachu/Pichu as Sparky
Ryu/Ken as Knuckle Joe
Shiek/Greninja as Bio Spark / the moon ninja enemy
the list can go on...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
dont be so quick to bury someone just cause they have this game's version of trophies
I don't know, I'd argue it's a bit more of a hurdle than trophies were. The fact that Spirits can be paired with fighters means that they're explicitly supposed to be different from the fighters. Plus, we know that DLC has been part of the project plan this time around. Why make a character a Spirit if you're also going to make them playable later?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another teaser on the Kirby twitter.
I'm guessing the next content update for Star Allies will be more than just the next wave of Dream Friends.
Hopefully because, damn, I've actually put off getting Star Allies until all the Dream Friends were revealed. I love me some Kirby but beating the game and then coming back months later for a few new characters wouldn't have been worth it in my eyes especially now that they've dragged it out for so long.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know, I'd argue it's a bit more of a hurdle than trophies were. The fact that Spirits can be paired with fighters means that they're explicitly supposed to be different from the fighters. Plus, we know that DLC has been part of the project plan this time around. Why make a character a Spirit if you're also going to make them playable later?
well sakurai suggested he hadnt actually decided on the dlc characters yet and if spirits do prevent characters from dlc then it looks as though hes restricted himself an absurd amount

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He said that the DLC characters were part of the original project plan but wouldn't start development until the main part of developing the base game was done, just like with SSB4. That said, they were chosen about 3 years ago, likely reflecting popular choices from the Smash Ballot for the most part.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He said that the DLC characters were part of the original project plan but wouldn't start development until the main part of developing the base game was done, just like with SSB4. That said, they were chosen about 3 years ago, likely reflecting popular choices from the Smash Ballot for the most part.
So this basically confirms they knew Dee was a popular choice

Hopefully because, damn, I've actually put off getting Star Allies until all the Dream Friends were revealed. I love me some Kirby but beating the game and then coming back months later for a few new characters wouldn't have been worth it in my eyes especially now that they've dragged it out for so long.
Can you translate that?

Sorry for double post, using mobile

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's weird to me that Sakurai showed every single popular ballot character in the last Direct except for Bandana Dee.
And third parties for obvious reasons.

Dixie, Paper Mario, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Shantae, etc.
Maybe he will be DLC, or maybe Sakurai thought that Waddle Dee Spirit was enough to disconfirm BD.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He said that the DLC characters were part of the original project plan but wouldn't start development until the main part of developing the base game was done, just like with SSB4.
Do we have confirmation of this?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no he said that characters like rex were to recent to be in the base game and made implications on any restrictions he may or may not have placed on the dlc characters

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Rex's Mii costume was pretty much an apology. We have yet to have a character that was a Mii costume first in the same game they debuted in. There would have been literally no reason to show off Rex's Mii costume otherwise. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS came out too late to be considered for this game. Sakurai has also gone on record that a typical character takes at least 10 months to a year to develop, with strong evidence that Bayonetta was the only ballot character for Smash 4 and could have been decided as soon as two weeks after the ballot started. This also highlights why she was horrifically unbalanced too. With 3 years of development already, there's no reason for anyone to be rushed this time around.

This all being said, at most one hasn't been decided yet but there's literally no reason for it. They got all the data they needed back in 2015 and the fan demands have predominately stayed the same. A "Bayonetta situation" is very unlikely this time around, further pointed out that they have already made a time table for releases ultimately ending in February 2020.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Rex's Mii costume was pretty much an apology. We have yet to have a character that was a Mii costume first in the same game they debuted in. There would have been literally no reason to show off Rex's Mii costume otherwise. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS came out too late to be considered for this game. Sakurai has also gone on record that a typical character takes at least 10 months to a year to develop, with strong evidence that Bayonetta was the only ballot character for Smash 4 and could have been decided as soon as two weeks after the ballot started. This also highlights why she was horrifically unbalanced too. With 3 years of development already, there's no reason for anyone to be rushed this time around.

This all being said, at most one hasn't been decided yet but there's literally no reason for it. They got all the data they needed back in 2015 and the fan demands have predominately stayed the same. A "Bayonetta situation" is very unlikely this time around, further pointed out that they have already made a time table for releases ultimately ending in February 2020.
This should almost confirm dee. Why would they skip only one top ballot fighter request?

Oh right, I forgot. Sakurai is still afraid of people calling bias.

Potato_

Smash Lord
This should almost confirm dee. Why would they skip only one top ballot fighter request?

Oh right, I forgot. Sakurai is still afraid of people calling bias.
I mean people are going to call bias regardless. See KI and Fire Emblem in Smash 4. Even after Sakurai said he didn't plan on Corrin, he still gets most of the stick for that one.

It'd be really hard to justify "bias" as Dee's reason for inclusion. Didn't Sakurai have like no hand in his recent development? I swear most of Dee's character development came after Sakurai stopped working on Kirby.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai does honestly act like the series ended after Kirby's Air Ride but at least this game already has a lot of new concessions like Dark Metaknight, Galacta Knight, Masked Dedede, etc suggesting he'll finally acknowledge the post 2003 Kirby games in a meaningful way.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

While I agree Rex likely won't be in saying we have yet to see a character be a Mii costume and then a character in the same game is really weak considering Mii costumes debuted in 4. Also considering Bayonetta would need to be negotiated first she could have been planned before the slot was added so before 2 weeks into the ballot.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I mean people are going to call bias regardless. See KI and Fire Emblem in Smash 4. Even after Sakurai said he didn't plan on Corrin, he still gets most of the stick for that one.

It'd be really hard to justify "bias" as Dee's reason for inclusion. Didn't Sakurai have like no hand in his recent development? I swear most of Dee's character development came after Sakurai stopped working on Kirby.
People actually say Sakuraihas anti bias towards anything Kirby he didn't make.

Also thinking about it, BDee doesn't really have anyone good to use for a Spirit Battle.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But take note of the characters that were made into costumes in Smash 4. It lined up almost exactly with popular characters who missed Brawl and Smash 4 either as assist trophies or playable. It's almost impossible to not see Mii costumes like Inkling and K. Rool as anything but a concession. Also note all the Mii costumes that were promoted this time:

Inkling, Chrom, K. Rool, Isabelle: playable
Akira, Zero, Black Knight, Knuckles: assist trophy

There's definitely a correlation here.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I'm salty that a plant got in before the best "minion" of Nintendo history. ...
Please Bandana Dee come to DLC!

Question Sakurai have something against Bandana Dee? Like... its not his character or something?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
It's weird to me that Sakurai showed every single popular ballot character in the last Direct except for Bandana Dee.
And third parties for obvious reasons.

Dixie, Paper Mario, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Shantae, etc.
Maybe he will be DLC, or maybe Sakurai thought that Waddle Dee Spirit was enough to disconfirm BD.
Seems unlikely, considering that Sakurai knows of BWD's importance to the Kirby games and wouldn't compare such a character to a literal generic enemy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bandana Waddle Dee isn't a generic Minion but he is of a minion species.

It's a moot point anyway because generic-ness isn't anything against a character. Remember back in the Brawl Hype when we thought the AC character would be Tom Nook instead of the generic villager?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
You know what'd be a cool way to implement elemental spears into BWD's moveset?
Down special could be similar to Incineroar's counter but only to electric, fire, air, water, ice based type attacks and depending on the element, Dee's spear get some level of boost for a certain amount of time (air = up special, presumably Spear Copter, goes even higher and attacks have slightly more knockback). Maybe even put some debuffs on it to make it more balanced.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai does honestly act like the series ended after Kirby's Air Ride but at least this game already has a lot of new concessions like Dark Metaknight, Galacta Knight, Masked Dedede, etc suggesting he'll finally acknowledge the post 2003 Kirby games in a meaningful way.
It's so annoying how Sakurai's ego is barring him from representing modern Kirby. It makes me want to scream.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You do know we were going to get an Epic Yarn stage last time but it was turned into a Wooly World one.
Yep. I knew. Doesn't make me happier.
By modern Kirby, I mean actually showing what it's all about, not just some final smashes. The roster including modern Kirby fighter would be a good start. I'd also like some of the stages to be recycled out for modern Kirby stages, so it feels like I'm in the modern Kirby universe.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Yep. I knew. Doesn't make me happier.
By modern Kirby, I mean actually showing what it's all about, not just some final smashes. The roster including modern Kirby fighter would be a good start. I'd also like some of the stages to be recycled out for modern Kirby stages, so it feels like I'm in the modern Kirby universe.
Good point, but I don't really think the current state of things means Sakurai has a stigma against modern Kirby titles.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You do know we were going to get an Epic Yarn stage last time but it was turned into a Wooly World one.
That really isn't a good example. He abandoned some Modern Kirby content just cause he heard of a game that would have a similar gimmick, even though it wouldn't be out until after Smash 4.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
That really isn't a good example. He abandoned some Modern Kirby content just cause he heard of a game that would have a similar gimmick, even though it wouldn't be out until after Smash 4.
Yea I understand that I am just stating that it was planned.

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Sakurai talking about DLC. Characters being chosen by Nintendo makes me hopeful.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, Very hopeful. Nintendo choosing characters is very hopeful. Would Nintendo choose third parties?

Although I'm suddenly fearful of another Fire Emblem character

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how well my other personal choices' chances are if Nintendo as a whole picked them (namely Geno and Elma), but I figure Bandana Dee is a lock now. Nintendo knows how much we love the little guy.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai talking about DLC. Characters being chosen by Nintendo makes me hopeful.
Honestly... it makes me more worried.
Because it might prove that Katalina from Granblue Fantasy might make it in. I can see corporate meddling happening where CyGames would make Dragalia Lost and Super Mario Run, but only if she is in Smash.
There is also a matter of a SE character and Steve, it makes me think BWD might be outcompeted.
I hope I am wrong though.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Honestly... it makes me more worried.
Because it might prove that Katalina from Granblue Fantasy might make it in. I can see corporate meddling happening where CyGames would make Dragalia Lost and Super Mario Run, but only if she is in Smash.
There is also a matter of a SE character and Steve, it makes me think BWD might be outcompeted.
I hope I am wrong though.
Isn't Granblue a Japan exclusive? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it getting a rep.

Top Bottom