• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Oh, I'd underestimate Nintendo characters for dlc without even knowing leaks just from how they did Smash 4. but in this case, a lot of 3rd parties seems to be covered in the same via spirits.
I think there will be third parties as well, but there may be more Nintendo characters than people are expecting because they're more interested in getting new people to know their characters (Switch is a big success and they want these new fans to follow the series, while the Wii U was already dead during the DLC period in Smash 4) and get a bigger % of the DLC money. Also, this time they have a pass, so I think Sakurai may be more free to add Nintendo characters as people already will get the whole pack.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I hope that Granblue thing is false tbh. I'd like Steve a thousand times more, and I want Banjo lol xD. Hopefully; they both get in though.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I hope that Granblue thing is false tbh. I'd like Steve a thousand times more, and I want Banjo lol xD. Hopefully; they both get in though.
People have said before that they have their doubts on Granblue representation since Takamaru was rejected for being Japan only. Of course, Piranha Plan has thrown a wrench into a lot of rules, but not that one.

11th

Smash Apprentice
@ Kirby Twitter: Well, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out!

Back on topic, uhhh... if B. Dee is a Spirit, what would be hit fight? Probably, like, Dedede, right?
If he were an enhanced Spirit, he might not need to have one. (Paraphrasing: "Some Spirits can only be obtained this way." Not all can be gained through fighting.) If he does, though, here's one quick idea.

Character: Red Kirby, red Meta Knight, or small King Dedede (default red, or the green alt with the Waddle Dee patterned obi)
Stage: Green Greens
-Apples drop at decreased intervals
-Enemy prioritizes attacking with items

... Apple Scramble? There aren't many good spear or parasol replacements. The best I can think of is the Star Rod or maybe the Staff...
Alternative: All Assist Trophies summon Knuckle Joe, Chef Kawasaki, and any other characters that resemble Star Allies helpers, maybe?

Sakurai had nothing to do with the story of SSE. It was written by the same dude who wrote Kingdom Hearts.
Sorry, that's not what I was trying to say... I know that Mr. Kazushige Nojima was the scenario writer for SSE. What I meant was that, as director, I assume Mr. Sakurai generally "okay"s most things that get into the games at some point. In many cases, writers also start with at least a loose outline when brought onto a project.

Here's a quote from an "Iwata Asks" column on the matter:
Sakurai: I know! (laughs) I didn’t ask him to write everything from scratch though. I explained the world of Smash Bros. and its characters and then asked for his help. The first storyline he came up with, however, wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.
Iwata: It was different than what you had envisioned.
Sakurai: Right. It wasn’t bad at all and had its own appeal, but it was a bit different than what I had envisioned it would be. It went something like this…"Some of the characters are on a bus on the way to the stadium. Samus is there. Donkey Kong is there and Snake is watching the bus from afar." It was like that. (laughs) I had envisioned a more serious tone for the story. Something with some misfortune like a single character escaping total annihilation of his squadron and then fighting back while rounding up his allies. Ultimately, we worked together and successfully organized our ideas into the storyline for The Subspace Emissary.
Iwata: In other words, you came up with a storyline that neither of you could have produced on your own.
Sakurai: Right. That’s something you might say about this entire game. This project is the result of people coming together and talents colliding. If we took one person and replaced them with another, the project would have definitely been different. That’s another reason the project was only possible this time around.
Ten plus edits later... goodness, why can't I type tonight.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about what would Magolor's moveset be in Star Allies. He hasn't really shown much of what he can do in his base form.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious about what would Magolor's moveset be in Star Allies. He hasn't really shown much of what he can do in his base form.
I know there was a video showing a potential moveset, but I haven't been able to find it. It had a lot of similarities with the Plasma and ESP copy abilities, plus a type of teleport move where he opened an interdimensional portal.

Troykv

Smash Master
People have said before that they have their doubts on Granblue representation since Takamaru was rejected for being Japan only. Of course, Piranha Plan has thrown a wrench into a lot of rules, but not that one.
I think at this point the main rules that it must be followed to be a character are...

- Do you have some recogntion? It didn't need to be Mario Level; but if you're appear in a playable or other prominent form in a popular game you should count.
- Do you are visually distinctive from other characters? This question also ends up creating another question; do you have a charismatic, cool and/or charming design? (Specially the first one)
- What about your fighting potential? It plays with tools that other character that appeal to the other rules can't?

Third Parties are a bit different because they're special guests; and their seniority/influence and overall popularity are a lot more important.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Huh, thought I listed my support here, but I guess I didn't. I'm a supporter for Bandana Dee for Smash; he has been elevated to my most wanted now that my top 2 characters have been deconfirmed. I'm now going to put my heart and soul into my Bandana Boy.

Edit: Went back and checked; I did declare my support on Oct 25, I probably got overlooked though, which is fine. Just hoping that it gets picked up this time.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I think at this point the main rules that it must be followed to be a character are...

- Do you have some recogntion? It didn't need to be Mario Level; but if you're appear in a playable or other prominent form in a popular game you should count.
- Do you are visually distinctive from other characters? This question also ends up creating another question; do you have a charismatic, cool and/or charming design? (Specially the first one)
- What about your fighting potential? It plays with tools that other character that appeal to the other rules can't?

Third Parties are a bit different because they're special guests; and their seniority/influence and overall popularity are a lot more important.
Having a good design is subjective tho.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

In other news, a new tweet from the Kirby twitter.

What could it be? Wave 3 of Star Allies DLC being teased? That screenshot looks too high quality to be a random throwaway tweet
I agree it’s probably Star Allies wave 3, with then referencing “another dimension” I’m almost certain it’s referring to Magolor. But this just further increases my suspicions. If this is how they’re going to tease... then Wave 3 might indeed just have new story content, as hinted at through Morpho Knight’s arenas.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I agree it’s probably Star Allies wave 3, with then referencing “another dimension” I’m almost certain it’s referring to Magolor. But this just further increases my suspicions. If this is how they’re going to tease... then Wave 3 might indeed just have new story content, as hinted at through Morpho Knight’s arenas.
What does that say? Can you translate it?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out already, but Magalor has been found as a Spirit, so it doesn't seem like he's in the running for DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unreliable as it is, I used the auto-translate function.
View attachment 175902
Here's my translation (courteousy of google) if that helps

"Jama Haloa .... For this wide galaxy, there are "holes" leading to different dimensions, different from this dimension .... I have heard that story once, but I wonder if there really is such a thing ...? "

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hey all, been a longtime Dee supporter but for some reason I've never bothered to visit the support thread until now.

I do have one question that I'd like to see your opinions on, should the bandana lad make it in as DLC, what should his stage be?

Personally I would love the ring from the cage fight with Dedede, but that might be too close to the boxing ring stage we already have.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, been a longtime Dee supporter but for some reason I've never bothered to visit the support thread until now.

I do have one question that I'd like to see your opinions on, should the bandana lad make it in as DLC, what should his stage be?

Personally I would love the ring from the cage fight with Dedede, but that might be too close to the boxing ring stage we already have.
Someone in this thread suggested the iconic Castle Dedede with stage hazards being bosses from modern Kirby games. I like that idea a lot.
Another idea that comes to mind is the Megaton Punch Arena from Super Star because it represents Dee's first ever debut in the series. The gimmick could be something with the stone slabs that get punched. Each time it happens, the screen shakes and the fighters on the ground get heavy knockback.

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace

I don't think the stage has to go directly with Bandana Dee, but instead modern Kirby as a whole. I'd like to see a stage based on the Jambastion, personally.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Originally I was on board with the Megaton Punch arena, but someone suggested the Waddle Dee City from Planet Robobot Amanda I gotta say, that would be my favorite. I love Planet Robobot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out already, but Magalor has been found as a Spirit, so it doesn't seem like he's in the running for DLC.
dont be so quick to bury someone just cause they have this game's version of trophies

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Wow, I missed a bit.

Honestly I had no idea what
GranBlue Fantasy
is.

I agree that the Dee probably stands the best chance at DLC from Nintendo. We only got 1/4 from Nintendo last time, so with 5 newcomers I think we’ll have at least 2 Nintendo reps. Bandana Dee would be the first, but I do think we’ll get a Pokémon from the newest generation as well (Gen 8).

3rd party is tough but I think a Square character seems likely, and with Piranha Plant being the new Mario character, I think Geno will be scrapped in favor of Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest has a huge history with Nintendo, even having crossovers with Mario and the generic Slime seems to be more plausible due to Piranha Plant.

After Square, I would guess Minecraft, a title that is loved around the world and by Sakurai himself. Plus Microsoft said Nintendo could use their characters, so while some see this as Banjo, I’d say Steve being a more recognizable character from a more recent series means he’ll gain the spot. Plus he’s now been on 3 Nintendo systems, has his own custom 3DS and Mario skins, and brought cross play between Microsoft and Nintendo. Everything seems to line up for him perfectly.

The final is probably the hardest to say, but it’s either one of the two Ubisoft mascots or (here.. we go), probably an Undertale character. To give out points for both

Ubisoft: Rayman or Rabbids
1) Rayman Trophy in Wii U
2) Rayman voted highly on ballot after ArtsyOmni Leak
3) Rabbids + Mario Crossover
4) Rayman Legends port on Switch
5) Rabbids + Mario 2 set to release along with Rayman 4
6) Star Link has Star Fox content due to Nintendo going to Ubisoft
7) Rayman in Smash clone Brawlhalla
8) Mario + Rabbids Just Dance Bonus

Undertale Character: Sans
1) Sakurai confirmed that he likes Undertale
2) Undertale is huge in Japan
3) Released in 2016, same time as Smash development plans
4) Now on Switch
5) Toby’s newest game hints at it with a comment about being in Smash

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Castle Dedede was the first that cam to mind. But I could honestly see anything from Return to Dreamland onward getting a stage.

You could match a lot of different stages with him since we don't have too much modern Kirby representation, especially in the stage department.

On another note, I got some people talking about Bandana Waddle Dee in the Ultimate Discussion Thread.

Just to make sure they aren't sleeping on our bandana boi.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Castle Dedede was the first that cam to mind. But I could honestly see anything from Return to Dreamland onward getting a stage.

You could match a lot of different stages with him since we don't have too much modern Kirby representation, especially in the stage department.

On another note, I got some people talking about Bandana Waddle Dee in the Ultimate Discussion Thread.

Just to make sure they aren't sleeping on our bandana boi.
Another Dimension with Magolor and/or Lor Starcutter as a stage hazard?

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Another Dimension with Magolor and/or Lor Starcutter as a stage hazard?
Another Dimension would be a really cool/interesting stage. It would be a nice contrast from the other Kirby stages we have. I could see Magolor getting the boss treatment in World of Light... if DLC applies to World of Light that is.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
OK, odd idea for a stage
1541470624554.jpeg
Only rework it for a Smash stage. You could have the copy abilities in the back, and then have someone like Shadow Kirby come in, pick the abilities, and use them against the fighters in the background. You could even have the copy abilities be different each time. Maybe have a list of 20 copy abilities for the game to randomly load 5 of. It'd make each fight on the stage different. Not to mention, it's in nearly every Kirby game, so it's neither classic or modern.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Honestly, my idea was that if BWD came with a stage, it could be Apple Scramble. Although that's already fairly similar to Green Greens, you could have (for stage hazards) fighting Kirby/MK/Dedede/Waddle Dees (depending on what fighters were on stage) in the background, with occasional level-pulls which would activate trap-doors on the stage. Like Green Greens, apples could appear on stage sometimes, with the rare Golden Apple like in Battle Royale. Plus, we could get The Apple Juice Song and various other Battle Royale/Star Allies tracks (I would die for Dededestroyer Z).

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
At this point I really see Bandana Dee becoming playable a huge possibility! I think I will go aoard this train this time

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Another teaser on the Kirby twitter.
I'm guessing the next content update for Star Allies will be more than just the next wave of Dream Friends.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I'm guessing the next content update for Star Allies will be more than just the next wave of Dream Friends.
Yet another mention of a wormhole to another world or something. Hnnnng I think we might just be getting a larger scale update, boys and girls!

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
More levels/worlds maybe? Or maybe a new mode specifically used for the Dream Friends. I'm just really excited to see what we'll get either way. Also, they're dumping so much lore into these tweets too, I find that funny but most likely building up the hype.
Imagine we get Zero after the hints from both wave 1 and wave 2 dlc, that would be wild (but unlikely sadly).

Top Bottom