1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash stuff and support the site, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor ! Check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Ban coaching

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussion' started by Nihonjin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. AquaTech

AquaTech
    Expand Collapse
    We hit the potjack

This would be good to see as a poll.
    I personally would vote to have coaching banned. My main reason is because of how much it slows down matches and is very painful and boring experience as a spectator. Even 1 minute of coaching between each game can add up to an extra hour or two of tournament length.
    I suppose if it were only allowed during a grand finals or losers finals, then 45 seconds between games might be acceptable.

#241 AquaTech, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Little Nemo

Little Nemo
    Expand Collapse
    The Dream Master

NNID:
    LockableFaceman
    I skipped this whole threa except the OP so I am not going to comment on anything said.
    I honestly thought it was already banned at bigger tournaments until recently. Coaching, if there is any, should be done before the match. I remember asking for some advice against an opponent and my friend told they always tech in place. I think that's ok. I didn't win the match because I had only been playing for like two months at the time... But I was a small step ahead from where I would have been.
    I think coaching has a place... Just not anywhere between the start and end of a set.

3. simpleglitch

simpleglitch
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

3DS FC:
    1907-8424-2856
    To steer the discussion then into the right direction, It may be beneficial to edit the first post and include this.

My rational came from a project management mindset. When proposing a solution to an issue, you get the most buy-in from decision makers when providing a full start-to-finish solution (or start-to-finish with some options). The discussion is a little bit all over the place so I apologize if jumped the gun and assumed the process was further along then I had thought.

If the goal right now is to gauge where the community is at on the topic, I agree with what @AquaTech said, a poll would have been nice ;) (though I suppose it isn't possible to add one after the fact, is it?).

4. pidgezero_one

pidgezero_one
    Expand Collapse
    ((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    3222-5601-4071
    NNID:
    pidgezero_one
    I honestly think this is the best approach here. I was reading this thread a few days ago, and when I saw Doof's set against you (V115) yesterday and noticed he wasn't doing any grab release stuff I remembered you having said this, and that's why I asked you if you were okay with me giving him advice mid-set. No harm in asking and you get the best of both worlds, right?

I am going to enforce this if it ever becomes an issue at my SSB64 tournaments!

#244 pidgezero_one, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    simpleglitch likes this.