• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ban coaching

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
This would be good to see as a poll.
I personally would vote to have coaching banned. My main reason is because of how much it slows down matches and is very painful and boring experience as a spectator. Even 1 minute of coaching between each game can add up to an extra hour or two of tournament length.
I suppose if it were only allowed during a grand finals or losers finals, then 45 seconds between games might be acceptable.

Last edited:

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I skipped this whole threa except the OP so I am not going to comment on anything said.
I honestly thought it was already banned at bigger tournaments until recently. Coaching, if there is any, should be done before the match. I remember asking for some advice against an opponent and my friend told they always tech in place. I think that's ok. I didn't win the match because I had only been playing for like two months at the time... But I was a small step ahead from where I would have been.
I think coaching has a place... Just not anywhere between the start and end of a set.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
When we've agree on actually regulating coaching (either way), then TOs get to argue about what the appropriate consequences are for breaking the rule.
To steer the discussion then into the right direction, It may be beneficial to edit the first post and include this.

My rational came from a project management mindset. When proposing a solution to an issue, you get the most buy-in from decision makers when providing a full start-to-finish solution (or start-to-finish with some options). The discussion is a little bit all over the place so I apologize if jumped the gun and assumed the process was further along then I had thought.

If the goal right now is to gauge where the community is at on the topic, I agree with what @ AquaTech AquaTech said, a poll would have been nice ;) (though I suppose it isn't possible to add one after the fact, is it?).

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I think if anything, a rule should be implemented stating something along the lines of "If, before the set begins, either player requests that coaching be banned for the set, the request cannot be denied by the other player, and neither player can be coached for the duration of the set". This way both players can be coached if it's not a problem to them.

This gets rid of the coach accessibility issue; one player having the advantage over his opponent because of things like
- Opponent's coach(es) couldn't make it to the tournament for whatever reason (this would include something like somebody travelling from afar alone to this tournament. What if aMSa and Vectorman weren't buddies at Apex 2014? What if there's a language barrier?)
- Opponent has fewer friends that can serve as coaches (so far I haven't seen any tournies outside of Apex 2013 where each player could only have one coach in a given set)
- Opponent's coach(es) couldn't be beside their coachee (dunno if that's a word) during their set for whatever reason, even though the coach was AT the tournament
- Any other things that apply that I can't think of right now

Point is, I don't think factors like these should affect (even slightly) the outcome of a match. Like sure, if somebody has a totally ****ty personality and nobody likes him/her because of it (and thus he/she doesn't have a coach), I'd want him/her to lose too. But I don't think he should be forced to a disadvantage during the set because of his behaviour outside of the game.
I honestly think this is the best approach here. I was reading this thread a few days ago, and when I saw Doof's set against you (V115) yesterday and noticed he wasn't doing any grab release stuff I remembered you having said this, and that's why I asked you if you were okay with me giving him advice mid-set. No harm in asking and you get the best of both worlds, right?

I am going to enforce this if it ever becomes an issue at my SSB64 tournaments!

Last edited:
Top Bottom