• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
if it does have super armor, why does TLink's jab beat it nearly 100% of the time?
I said at E for All. The game changed since then. Mario at E for All similarly was much different, as he was reported to have a legit chaingrab, and some really powerful KO moves, and he was also considered the best character at the demo overall (funny how a lot of us think that Mario with good KO power is a top tier threat in BBrawl).

At any rate, my point is that it wouldn't be terribly illogical to put back SA frames on Bowser's F-smash, considering that it seems that idea has existed even before the game was officially released.

It would still be a pretty crappy attack though, so mostly, the change would more or less be one of flavor.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yeah, it'd be flavor, but it would be benificial in that if bowser is able to hit with it, it's gonna hit

also provides a semi-defense in that he has a new method of SA.

(fire breath speed up may work too tho :p)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The SD card thing has to do with standard formats. The original specifications for an SD card (that is, so readers would know what an SD card is and what is a non-SD card) assumed a size that capped out at 2 GB. That's obviously fairly limited for a lot of applications (not really for what we use it for) so non-standard larger SD cards started to be made and get support (including in later versions of the Wii system menu), but a lot of older readers and older software (such as Brawl) simply does not support the larger sizes.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
A lot of people here seem to want Ganon's standing grab to have more range. I have an idea on how to make it happen. Ganon's pivot grab has good range and an animation that works for it. You could change his standing grab by giving it the hitbox, animation, and frame data of his pivot grab. This should give him a decent OoS game and make him better at punishing. I understand that this might make him too powerful, however, I think that this is worth testing. I'm sure that some people here (myself included) would be willing to spend the extensive time it takes to do such testing with all of his matchups. If this does make Ganon too strong, perhaps some of his buffs (like his b-throw knockback) could be removed.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
A lot of people here seem to want Ganon's standing grab to have more range. I have an idea on how to make it happen. Ganon's pivot grab has good range and an animation that works for it. You could change his standing grab by giving it the hitbox, animation, and frame data of his pivot grab. This should give him a decent OoS game and make him better at punishing. I understand that this might make him too powerful, however, I think that this is worth testing. I'm sure that some people here (myself included) would be willing to spend the extensive time it takes to do such testing with all of his matchups. If this does make Ganon too strong, perhaps some of his buffs (like his b-throw knockback) could be removed.
*reads OP* *facepalm*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf would still lose a lot to the Ice Climbers with an increased grab range, just keep in mind. Even factoring that the ICs aren't chaingrabbing him, they still are a major pain for Ganondorf to approach safely. Or rather, it's virtually impossible for Ganondorf to approach the Ice Climbers safely. And grabbing them is pointless if you don't have Falco's or Ness's D-throw or something like that.

Which is why I think reducing the ending lag of an aerial is a much more practical approach (no pun intended).

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
*reads OP* *facepalm*
I am more than aware that changing hitbox sizes is against the main concept of BBrawl. However, the same is true of changing startup frames of moves and exceptions have been made for that. One of the reasons that AA said that changing hitbox sizes wouldn't work is that the animation would also have to be changed and that won't work very well. I am suggesting that replacing the standing grab animation with the pivot grab animation would make it possible to change the standing grab range without negatively effecting the game.

I am also aware that AA doesn't want people to have to relearn spacing, however, the changes that have already been made to ganon make relearning his matchups necessary anyway.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Which is why I think reducing the ending lag of an aerial is a much more practical approach (no pun intended).
Probably reducing lag on Nair and Fair. Especially his Fair, to make it the way it was suppose it be "Coding Error my foot" would help Signifigantly against alot of bad MUs and give Ganon a better approach option.

Also a Jab with faster startup would really make it a Get Out Of My Face move.

These would help with Aproaching and Pressure. but I guess well have to wait for a couple months before the I WANT THIS BUFF floodgates begin to open.

Has anyone thought about making a place to dicuss BalancedBrawl like they have with Brawl+.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Probably reducing lag on Nair and Fair. Especially his Fair, to make it the way it was suppose it be "Coding Error my foot" would help Signifigantly against alot of bad MUs and give Ganon a better approach option.
Changing F-air to eliminate the coding error technically isn't going to do anything extremely helpful. Just look at the frame data of Ganondorf's jumps and then realize that the spacing required to autocancel it still renders it impractical.

Has anyone thought about making a place to dicuss BalancedBrawl like they have with Brawl+.
I made a place on AiB, so if you check my profile with ctrl+F for "Balanced Brawl" you should find an appropriate group.

2 questions:

1) Why does Toon Link have 4 attacks that have the slip element? The running dash, N-air, B-air, and D-air. I mean, not all the time does it make you trip but most of the time it does. I don't recall this in vBrawl but here in BBrawl it does. I don't find that balanced, one or two attacks are ok, but four? That's way too cheap.

2) Does a 2GB SD card [is there a specific one, or must it be a Wii SD card] work for brawl? Would it read BBrawl and texture/stages hacks aswell? Please someone tell me before I buy one tomorrow!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
2 questions:

1) Why does Toon Link have 4 attacks that have the slip element? The running dash, N-air, B-air, and D-air. I mean, not all the time does it make you trip but most of the time it does. I don't recall this in vBrawl but here in BBrawl it does. I don't find that balanced, one or two attacks are ok, but four? That's way too cheap.
That isn't a slip element I believe, but a large random tripping chance, much like C. Falcon's Flubbed Knee I believe, it just so happens that alot of his moves have the chance of causing tripping. And I thought this was in vBrawl?

2) Does a 2GB SD card [is there a specific one, or must it be a Wii SD card] work for brawl? Would it read BBrawl and texture/stages hacks aswell? Please someone tell me before I buy one tomorrow!
Yes, just make sure it isn't anything but SD and not SDHC or whatever it is.

That isn't a slip element I believe, but a large random tripping chance, much like C. Falcon's Flubbed Knee I believe, it just so happens that alot of his moves have the chance of causing tripping. And I thought this was in vBrawl?

Yes, just make sure it isn't anything but SD and not SDHC or whatever it is.
Ok thanks. But I thought he didn't have this in VBrawl. I tried him out and it has more chances in BBrawl. They should fix it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
They didn't change any angles on those moves you were talking about nor did they add slip element, check Thinkaman's first post with the change list. And it's not broken, if you say that, all triping moves should be taken away. Good Bye bananas.

Well true it does not say on the post, but why does he have a higher chance of tripping people in BBrawl than in VBRawl? I don't recall it in vBrawl. I'm not saying it's broken because it's not 100%, but it is a bit cheap.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
well, Think's has some details lost, but TL has no changes than the listed ones.

btw, I can recall the Nair trip, but it's actually because of the angle it shoots in the first place, just like the Dash attack.
Dair is a strong spike, and it may looks like it trips at low %, but it never tripped
and Bair looks to have different knockbaks and angles (I don't know well why)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well true it does not say on the post, but why does he have a higher chance of tripping people in BBrawl than in VBRawl? I don't recall it in vBrawl.
It's the same as in vBrawl -- your memory must be mistaken if you think otherwise. I don't believe Thinka and AA even have a code that can edit trip probability.

Bruce Leenomorph

Smash Rookie
Hello. I would like to first say good work on the mod. I do have a couple questions, though.

Is there a way to get rid of friendly fire? It absolutely kills any chance of playing the mod for us, because I tend to play with my family and friends and we do lots of team battles.

Also, is there a way to get the mod to work with custom stages?

Thanks for any and all help in these matters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well true it does not say on the post, but why does he have a higher chance of tripping people in BBrawl than in VBRawl? I don't recall it in vBrawl. I'm not saying it's broken because it's not 100%, but it is a bit cheap.
Those moves that TL would be using to cause trips are all pretty unsafe, so I wouldn't complain about them.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing BBrawl on a friend's wii. It's great.

One question, though. Ness's PK flash went from 70/10 to 75/20. Does this refer to the uncharged move, or does it also scale to the charged move killing even earlier?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hello. I would like to first say good work on the mod. I do have a couple questions, though.

Is there a way to get rid of friendly fire? It absolutely kills any chance of playing the mod for us, because I tend to play with my family and friends and we do lots of team battles.

Also, is there a way to get the mod to work with custom stages?

Thanks for any and all help in these matters.
to turn freindly fire off, just go to the rules in the "brawl" section, and turn them off.

similarly, when choosing characters, click the top where it says the stock, and turn off frienly fire

Bruce Leenomorph

Smash Rookie
Ah, I think I figured out the problem: at my buddy's where I was playing it last night, he didn't have "More Rules" unlocked, where I do on my machine. Alas, I had to send mine in to Nintendo to be fixed (but at least it was free), so I don't have it available right now.

Also, I guess I have a bug to report: we played last night, trying to unlock the extra rules, in a team battle. I managed to catch both our enemies in Captain Falcon's final smash, and it froze right after hitting them with the Blue Falcon. Anyone else encounter something like this?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's the same as in vBrawl -- your memory must be mistaken if you think otherwise. I don't believe Thinka and AA even have a code that can edit trip probability.
It is editable in PSA, you kno--oh wait.

lulululululululululul

jk jk though. It is PSA-able. idk. If they want further balance. They may have to put trust in the community. *shrugs*

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
True, but good luck finding the right people with the right things in order to create a trip modifier that can access any move in the game and allow you to set your own custom trip rate.

TP

Smash Master
I played Amazing Ampharos at a tourney this weekend in BBrawl to test the Ganon and G&W matchup. The guys who complained were right. I just couldn't get inside at all. When a really good G&W main like AA knows to box you out, you really can't do anything about it. All of my buffs meant pretty much nothing, and the matchup was still pretty unwinnable.

Oh wait. We went even.

Ganon's fine.

:034:

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I played Amazing Ampharos at a tourney this weekend in BBrawl to test the Ganon and G&W matchup. The guys who complained were right. I just couldn't get inside at all. When a really good G&W main like AA knows to box you out, you really can't do anything about it. All of my buffs meant pretty much nothing, and the matchup was still pretty unwinnable.

Oh wait. We went even.

Ganon's fine.

i was about to say wait, i watched you guys and it certainly looked in no way like you were getting ***** LOL

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I want to be clear how big the difference was. We played a few games in standard Brawl, and I destroyed Twilight Prince. The first game I didn't really even have to try very hard to win, and the second game I went all out to see just how bad the G&W vs Ganon matchup was and I three stocked him. I'm not saying he's bad; he was using Ganon after all. Then we played in Balanced Brawl, and it was very even with him taking at least one game off me. G&W's usual ability to wiggle out of stuff is pretty much reversed against Ganon; all of Ganon's tricks work better against G&W than against most other characters. I have to get decently close to him to hit him since I lack a quality projectile, and G&W does not have the range on the things he can do right out of shield (grab/Fire/usmash) to exploit "shield camping" to any meaningful extent, especially since trying that just makes it all the easier for Ganon to land Flame Choke which is basically the worst thing you can let happen to you.

When I left, I also saw a bit of him playing some friendlies with Steeler's PT, and they seemed pretty even as well. It was kinda the same story that Steeler could do so many things to Ganon, but it took Ganon so little to make it all up. The best part is that Squirtle seems as easy for Ganon to follow up on as G&W is and survivability wise is G&W with a worse recovery and no bucket braking so it always seemed like Steeler was on death's door as long as Squirtle was out even though Squirtle has so many fast and safe things it can do. Ganon was actually reminding me of Snake in a way when you get several good pokes on him and then he lands one ftilt and evens it up instantly except Ganon is doing it on a bigger scale.

I was going to try to bully one of the Olimar mains (probably Fino) into playing Twilight Prince's Ganon to test the extremes of Ganon's newfound abilities (since, if Ganon can deal with Olimar, he can deal with anything), but I had to leave after only a little Bbrawl and didn't get a chance. If such happened, it would be news to me.

Also, Ganon is pretty good in Brawl soccer. Thinkaman will have to find the time sometime soon to tell you guys about it; it's his brainchild.

Oh, and if you need to unlock the additional rules menu on a Wii, just get 200 KOs. Set up something like a 3v1 Snake vs three Jigglypuffs who are at 300%; it will go quickly.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
Something I've recently noticed for Yoshi, the KB change on his D-tilt. What is the purpose of reducing the KB? It doesn't make it comboable so much and makes it a little harder to gimp recovery with.

TP

Smash Master
AA, I didn't get to play an Olimar, sorry. As for Steeler, he won every match where the stage had walkoffs, and I won every match where there weren't any (I think). Either Ganon sucks in dealing with walkoffs or I do (probably me). Steeler and I did go pretty even overall (and in vBrawl, I couldn't even win the matchup on Norfair).

JOE!

Smash Hero
Something I've recently noticed for Yoshi, the KB change on his D-tilt. What is the purpose of reducing the KB? It doesn't make it comboable so much and makes it a little harder to gimp recovery with.
it makes a followup much easier, and there are better moves to gimp with as yoshi (Dair...Nair...Fair..)

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
it makes a followup much easier, and there are better moves to gimp with as yoshi (Dair...Nair...Fair..)
Sometimes, for larger characters I usually d-tilt to gimp then finish it with either a d-air or f-air, on rare ocasion a n-air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom