• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
RSBE01test.gct is the test version of what is being released tonight, not the genesis update. If you want to use it, you have rename it "RSBE01.gct", and replace the old version of RSBE01.gct.

The Genesis update can be found at the following link, called "RSBE01.gct"; this is the file you want. If you downloaded it recently, you likely have it already, as the original version doesn't seem to be available anymore.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b7f5632b084764d341446e35a78dc463ad61396b6de3ce12ce018c8114394287

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
When the new update is posted, could a .txt be posted too, since I also want to add a few codes to it like 1 team matches and colored shields. Thanks!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It will be, of course. The Balanced Brawl project believes in openness as one of its primary principles.

Sorry to everyone we're still in delay; that tournament Thinkaman is at must be a lot of fun since he still seems quite occupied with it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
it lags at loading at the beginning?
we've been having trouble with load, we waited for about 5 mins, but nothing happened; and even the wiimote we were using for settings turns off (we think that means it has already frozen).
I've been trying use the test version, btw.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Hello there, I just felt like dropping a comment over here since I've just tried BBrawl for the first time just a moment ago.

Despite the fact that I don't like vBrawl and prefer Melee over Brawl+, my friends actually refuse to play Melee or Brawl+, choosing Brawl over anything else. And so, I've thought about it, being interested in Samus/Link lately and looked up their killing percents and stuffs....

And so, I'm just here to congratulate you guys. This is an awesome job you've done, the game is what the name claims it is. Balanced. Except that MK's still God tier for sure... Link and Samus are amazing.

Good Job, props to you.

Now I don't need to Damage Snake up to 200 percent to kill him with Samus. ;)

ratman19

Smash Cadet
They are back to normal in the standard release. They were only this way in the earlier releases due to code limits related to throws which have since been resolved.
o really..... nice. where can i download the rsbe01.gct file and the txt file. did it replace the one on the download link on the first page

ratman19

Smash Cadet
im excited about the new release. me and my friends played bb all yesterday. we prefer this version to vanilla brawl. we especially love the link changes

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Tonight whenever Thinkaman gets back from his tournament. His Balanced Brawl tournament I should note!

Also, are there any PAL players around right now? I have a PAL codeset ready, but of course I have no idea if it works. PM me ASAP if you have a PAL Wii/Brawl that is homebrew enabled and are willing to help. If no one does, we'll just launch not knowing if it works.
Is this the final release you are speaking of?
Is it an update? With every change listed as it was on the Genesis Update? I am excited about this! :chuckle:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We apologize and ask for a bit of patience on this release. It's still coming tonight; it just may be very late (which I suppose makes it tomorrow morning). Smash tournaments are notorious for running behind schedule...

And yes, this is the standard release that will stand for months.

ratman19

Smash Cadet
We apologize and ask for a bit of patience on this release. It's still coming tonight; it just may be very late (which I suppose makes it tomorrow morning). Smash tournaments are notorious for running behind schedule...

ok kool. I'll check back in a couple hours to see if the rsbe01 and the txt file will be up. at least pikachu and dedede up throws are fixed so im happy. that was the only problem i had

ratman19

Smash Cadet

i think every one will be patient. we all want it the be as perfect as possible, so no matter the wait, once its good we should be kool. just like a game waiting to be released. would you rather a game be delayed so it can be near perfect or would you rather it be released full of bugs and glitches. it think most ppl would take the delay so the quirks can be worked out

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@ ratman19:
please, DO NOT double post. Use the edit button at the right of your post =)

BTW
it lags at loading at the beginning?
we've been having trouble with load, we waited for about 5 mins, but nothing happened; and even the wiimote we were using for settings turns off (we think that means it has already frozen).
I've been trying use the test version, btw.
still asking =(

ratman19

Smash Cadet
@ ratman19:
please, DO NOT double post. Use the edit button at the right of your post =)

BTW

still asking =(

yeah sorry about that. i was looking to see if i could delete the old message and add the new information to the old message, but i didn't see a delete button. by that time i had already posted the other messages lol. so i couldn't get rid of them. again sorry about that. i'll try to remember it in the future, although i have been told this before

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You know what finishing touch would make this project perfect?

Replacing the Wrist Strap warning with a photoshop of EarthBound's "The War on Giygas."

Instead saying "The War on Tiers".

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hey guys, Thinkaman here. First, I owe you an apology. I am in St. Louis now, and not back in Kentucky where my "real" computer with the files are. I am wayyy too tired to drive back tonight, and will have to make the trip tomorrow. BBrawl's final relase will have to be put off to Sunday afternoon.

My reason for being in this situation is that several of us stayed at the venue after the tourney I was at ended, playing BBrawl matchups for hours, including a lot of teams play. It went very well, and got positive impressions from everyone who touched it. (Which, unless I missed someone, was everyone who participated in the main tourney.) Players new to the competitive scene really liked the (rare) flashy changes like Ike and Ivysaur feature, while more seasoned vets recognized and appreciated the subtle differences to characters they knew well, such as Peach and Ness. There was a lot of Link, Ganon, Sonic, and Ice Climbers, though I can't think of a single character that wasn't played some. My confidence in these characters is reassured, especially Ice Climbers which we had previously little feedback on.

I'm sorry, but I'm so tired I forgot whatever it was I was going to say else. I look forward to seeing you guys tomorrow, when I have some sanity/sleep in me.

ratman19

Smash Cadet
i wonder if anyone thought about combining brawl + and brawl balanced into one game. i wonder if thats possible.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ummmm no, brawl + already changes moves to balance its own playstyle, and they change the moves more drastically then bbrawl. they both have similar intentions but go about it completely different ways

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
i wonder if anyone thought about combining brawl + and brawl balanced into one game. i wonder if thats possible.
It is not possible and it will never happen. Both have different goals...

It's ok Thinkaman, I hope you rest well. I am glad everything went ok at the tournament.
We will be expecting the great release tomorrow then :)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah, the current plan is to update like once or twice a year for any small changes, or an imediate update for any bug/major exploit found in the current version. we are going to let the new metagame develop and see some more feedback/tourney results before the next update

bleyva

Smash Ace
I wish Plus would follow this example LOL.
what, have an official release so the metagame can develop?

what are you nuts? B+ still has many incredibly important things to tend to, like water physics, lightning jabs and nerfing snake. these things dont happen overnight :laugh:

i guess im just impatient

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
They dont need to know how the tiers are to sit down and actually develop metgame. Cape found stuff on JC Shine and walls. D3 mains just found an "infinite".

you know?

BBrawl is just cool like that I guess.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You do realize that when Snake hits you with jab1 he has a mix-up, right? He can do for the full jab combo or jab cancel into ftilt (also jab cancel to grab, but most people in my experience are good at avoiding that one). This is really too fast to react to; you have to predict. It's also extremely good, especially against characters like Mr. Game & Watch who have to stay in Snake's face (i.e. are scared of getting grenade camped) and are focusing so intently on avoiding utilt because utilt kills them stupidly low that they are going to eat more jab1s than you'd think they "should" and probably won't react that quickly to all of them. Making jab3 not a kill move (which really makes it like everyone else's jab3s) is a general nerf to this mix-up in specific without really affecting much of the rest of Snake's game (nerfing ftilt more would affect a lot more than this). Snake has +3 frame advantage with his closer hitbox on jab1 and +6/+0 with his farther one depending on whether they do an aerial action or a grounded action (the hard landing animation takes time). The mix-up is definitely real; that's pretty good frame advantage. It's not in the same league as Ike's, but it is among the game's better jabs.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603 is a good resource for information about frame advantage out of jabs.

As per dair, Snake tends to do best against the aerial characters whom his grenades impede when he uses them intelligently and who fear his up tilt more than most. I hate to keep bringing up Mr. Game & Watch, but he really is such a good example! The nerfed Meta Knight feels the exact same way too. If Snake is jumping to do dair, those characters are happy even if dair is a really good move. On the other hand, if Snake is playing a cautious, grounded game they're unhappy, and his jab mix-up fits into that nicely.

Also, in general, Snake is a fragile system. We understand exactly why Snake is so good in standard Brawl. Turn just a few knobs on Snake a little too much the wrong way, and he drops from top to low nearly instantly. I mean, he's a big, slow character who is extremely poor at fighting in the air due to his poor aerial mobility and really huge commitment on all five of his aerials. That is a recipe for failure in Brawl, and it's only through a very delicate balance of several extremely powerful tools that he's good (quite contrary to, say, Meta Knight who is good in a way that is pretty resilient). Sakurai doubtless understood this, and out of trepidation for making a character as unique as Snake that wasn't good at all, he left Snake stronger than he should have been (top tier and all). We don't want to balance everyone but Snake and leave Super Snake Bros. Brawl, but we did address Snake with the utmost of caution since we know it would be way too easy to ruin Snake.

I'm sure no one will believe me when I say that Snake could easily be a low tier character with not so major adjustments; everyone knows the amazing Snake of standard Brawl as their "norm", and it's strange to think of such a good character as being at risk. Still though, I feel as though we dodged a bullet with Snake; I think as a whole package, we got him about right.
Grenades, C4, D-throw, and the massively unfair range on Snake's 4-6 frame tilts (keep in mind, the average tilt comes out in about 6-7 frames) is enough to make him stupidly good. I mean if you tone down his damage a lot he'll still come out with gay traits reminiscent of ROB (and with other advantages like being moderately harder to juggle, harder to Jab cancel combo, etc).

Snake imo is unexpectedly versatile. He has obvious problems, but the quirks with Grenades and other things can circumvent those problems solidly under a smart player. Ultimately Snake isn't even that slow, and his risk in the air can be avoided with momentum tricks or with the threat of a KO from his super fast and powerful attacks. He's a difficult character to use, but that doesn't matter when someone smart is using him.

If the only changes you're doing are with damage/knockback and that kind of stuff, you should focus on D-throw. I've mentioned a while ago why it's too stupidly good and the best techchase setup in the game by far. But anyhow, the main point I'm making is that Snake ultimately is stupidly good merely due to the unique properties of his moves. The overkill damage and knockback is a bonus, and toning that down just means Snake just needs to camp longer to get the same results, which is probably fine and dandy for Snake since he survives stupidly long as it is.

hi

uhm... do you know if there is a way to get the original spear pillar and hyrule temple back? its in balanced brawl, but i dont like their version. i prefer the old ones, but i still want to keep balanced brawl. do you think thats possible? thanks.

P.S. i'm new to the...hacking wii and ****...so im a bit.....confused? i get confused with the codes and ****. i would really appreciate your help. thanks again.

please help me [exagerating] if you can.

uhm... do you know if there is a way to get the original spear pillar and hyrule temple back? its in balanced brawl, but i dont like their version. i prefer the old ones, but i still want to keep balanced brawl. do you think thats possible? thanks.

P.S. i'm new to the...hacking wii and ****...so im a bit.....confused? i get confused with the codes and ****. i would really appreciate your help. thanks again.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
I've just remembered. You should maybe remove F-Tilt's invisible hitbox, it's straight out cheats >_>.

@Hyrulianwannabe: Don't ask about it over here. There's a general Q&A for such things. Plus you've double posted.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
please help me [exagerating] if you can.

When you have the code in a txt file. You should have a small program named codeManager.exe. This program generates a *.gct based on that txt. There you can uncheck portions of code. Or else you can remove portions of code on the txt file.
*.gct file is what Gecko reads to hack the game. I suggest you name that gct as this: RSBE01.gct . It is the common name. This file goes in a folder name codes in the root of your SD card. It is a good practice to have the txt associated with that gct in that same root.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Heh, I slept forever, at least 12 hours? I'm waiting on a friend to help me move a TV I took to the tourney, then drive back home.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
This is late, but only 'cause I just returned from vacation....

First, the idea that moves stale a different rates or speeds is a completely false perception. Except zairs and zamus nair which don't stale at all, all moves stale along the same pattern per standard input. Ganon is actually affected less by stale moves because all of his moves are chock full of immense knockback growth that gives him massive overkill at higher %s, and he has such a wide variety of kill moves. However, his slow pummel, poor grab range, and lack of a safe poking move (like nado or Jigglypuff dair) does inhibit him from refreshing his moves. The only issue I ever have with Ganon's stale moves are uair, and rarely dash attack.
I never implied that moves don't share the same staling rate. Actually, I would think that would actually be interesting and possibly even beneficial to the game if only certain moves staled. But anyhoo I never intended to imply such a thing existed.

The idea of the post was that, yes, Ganon does have immense KBG and lots of kill moves. But wanting those moves to be at there best more often (henceforth potential increases on some of the moves) would help him. But doesn't sound like you'd agree anyway, so whatev's.

BTW I'm interested in seeing what you did to Up B. That actually being darn useful would be....well....darn useful! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom