• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bair is underpowered - Puff Social/Disc Thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you don't want to play FFers with Puff you should just pick a different main cause that's like half of the average tournament.

Massive

Smash Champion
Well... that was certainly a poor way to phrase my question in retrospect. I guess what I was trying to get at was is it better to use only the control stick to weave through the air or is it better to weave in the air with a button and then control horizontal movement with the stick And the general consensus seems to be, "Do whatever works for you"

Like I said before though, now that I'm actually paying attention to it I use both tactics when weaving.

But you know, don't mind me I'm just a silly marth main.
Using x or y to jump gives you the opportunity of maintaining a constant direction on the control stick while you input a jump command. You can do exactly the same thing on the control stick, it just requires you to have substantially faster/more accurate thumbs.

Up to jump is very advantageous vs. meteors though, since after your first midair jump, holding up will escape the meteor animation on the first possible frame.

Mahone

Smash Champion
it'll actually cancel for u if u hold up cuz puff is sweet, but u had to have used a jump like massive said

@lzr: Falco is the best secondary for puff imo, mainly cuz he stomps the weird matchups like doc and luigi badly without really having to know whats going on (since everyone is terrible vs falco, especially his lasers)... sheik would be good in theory, but idk enough about sheik vs spacies to say whether that could work out well

atm im a falco main since i never get to play people and have a lot of time to just practice alone... i really wanna keep playing puff but everytime i go to a tourney my falco does much better and it makes me sad

im still keeping my puff for peach and fox (lol, i know thats super ******** but i hate falco vs fox and fox is my best mu with puff)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I thought holding up meant you couldn't meteor cancel at all? Or is this a Jiggs-specific thing because of her jumps?
It's a result of her multiple jumps. Just go with it and make Falcons mad when the stomp you off stage at low percent and you go nowhere :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you don't want to play FFers with Puff you should just pick a different main cause that's like half of the average tournament.
It has nothing to do with being a FFer, I just hate to play against the spacies with Puff because the MUs are extremely gay. Falcon because I always get destroyed super hard by them.

Mahone

Smash Champion
It's a result of her multiple jumps. Just go with it and make Falcons mad when the stomp you off stage at low percent and you go nowhere :p
unless its the dreaded nipple spike

It has nothing to do with being a FFer, I just hate to play against the spacies with Puff because the MUs are extremely gay. Falcon because I always get destroyed super hard by them.
falcon is hard man... how do mango/hbox make it look so easy?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
falcon is hard man... how do mango/hbox make it look so easy?
Exactly. It's probably my worst MU atm. A falcon against me is going to turn out very ugly. I should practice myself a kind of a pocket Falco I guess. I believe I am a smart enough player to turn out to be a pretty good Falco if I can overcome the technical barrier.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I like the falcon mu, don't know why. I haven't played a falcon main though...I probably hate the falcon MU and don't know it. Damn secondaries.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Samus can't do anything fast when you're in her face except up+b, which puff doesn't have to worry about because it hardly does anything and you can often time punish samus even on hit. If you dair of correctly, you'll almost always be able to grab/jab/usmash before samus can do anything, and it's usually a good idea to hold crouch if you do something slower to cc. Because of Samus' weight, dair will flip her after which is free rest or usmash.

Mahone

Smash Champion
how do u approach campy foxes on fd
you take stage until they are close the the edge...

then you fake approach and watch how they crossover (with a fullhop nair/running through you/upsmashing you/etc.)

then you take note of all these things and hard read them when you have a good feel for it

then you better get the most out of the hit you get, it shouldn't be too hard on fd

im not gonna lie, fd vs fox is hard, but i think it is doable if u don't rush it and don't let them get that kill move off on you... let them do whatever they want with lasers and nairs, as long as u don't give them lag to grab/upsmash you should be able to win

i do know that u are rather talented with multiple characters, might wanna try letting them pick fd and busting out ur pocket marth if you have one

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And that reminds me, how do I use dair? I suck at Lcanceling it so I always get hit when I do it so I haven't used it like at all. I know it can combo into stuff like Usmash and Grab and sometimes even rest, but when and how to use it? Seems like it's mostly outclassed by everything else.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
i dair a lot against marth for some reason, like a weird shield pressure with mixups of crouch/dair the top of his shield. the dair doesn't really do anything, but it's mostly just to provoke a reaction that is punishable. dair->usmash on floaties like peach and samus are reliable finishers.

you should just practice the timing in training mode. a key thing is when to fastfall, air mobility and stuff like that. when you do it right, and at the right % (usually 30/40+), the foe flips. if you spaced it right, and l-cancled it, its usually a free rest/usmash/grab. what hbox does is he often dair -> pivotgrab (i think?), which works wonders around the ledge. you should read stuff from magus, i think there's a video and a list of percentages.

also, dair works pretty good on edgeguarding, i.e fox. just hit him when he firefox/illusion, and most of the time that leads to a free edgeguard because he's forced below the ledge.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
shffling a dair gives me trouble. I practice it once in a while in training mode but unless I slow it down to 2/3 I always mess something up. Free rest though makes it worth learning.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks Kaizer. By the way were you at 2HOT in Norway? I saw a Puff player there but I guess it wasn't you.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
yeah, that was me.

wait, are you that guy i teamed with in friendlies, and we did that double rest thing?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah, it was ridiculous. Such shame it wasn't recorded. Wish Melee had Brawls replay function...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Alright DL needs to be banned. It was a CPU but I put a falcon to sleep and went to rollout his face and the wind pushed me off... :( Wispy your supposed to be my buddy. You came to Thanksgiving at my sister's.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
uhhh ok so speaking of sucking

what if puff had kirby's neutral b instead of rollout. how broken would she be? i think it would make the fox matchup pretty even if we could laser camp him back

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
uhhh ok so speaking of sucking

what if puff had kirby's neutral b instead of rollout. how broken would she be? i think it would make the fox matchup pretty even if we could laser camp him back
or we could go offstage and suck them up

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind puff being able to short hop double laser against falco.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
planking puff with fox lasers would be awesome.

Also, lol needle rests

Top Bottom