• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

->B Spike

andrewlb

Smash Rookie
So I was toying around with my friend, just a friendly match amoung moves. I was testing out his Over B combos (20 in total I believe) and I noticed that if you do ->B, B, DownB, the down B portion is a spike. On accident I used the combo as my friend was recovering, it hit with perfect timing and he was spiked to his death ( a strong spike at that). When he went to sleep I toyed around in training mode with various characters. At around 60-70 percent if you forward throw them off of the ledge ( you should be close to it) and preform the combo, depending on their method of return, it will spike them. I'm sure someone has discovered this and I'm wondering if anyone has tested it in battle. The move can also be done in the air with a relatively easy recovery. To do it just jump off the edge, ( you can get about half of the way out (this was tested on FD, so stage to edge of screen) and then do overb, b, downb, after preforming it, you can use your jump and then air dodge to the stage or just up-b there. If they are coming in from a higher position, you can double jump out (dont go as far) preform the combo, and up-b back to the ledge.

Notes: only the last strike of it does the spike. It CAN be meteor canceled, The spike is vicious (aka: if you do marths Dair it spikes them but after around a second they recover, this just sends them wayyyyyyyyyyyy down in the hole, so even from a good distance up it could probably kill with ease.

I would just like to ask people to test this or tell me about another thread on it ( i couldn't find any)

Thanks all

Namiel

Smash Cadet
It takes way too much time to get to the third hit of that combo and if you hit someone with it, they probably deserve to get spiked hard. Stick to the dair.

andrewlb

Smash Rookie
The timing isn't actually that bad, the overb is quick and so is the b , I'd say its about a second ( I don't have the game w/ me so I can't test) but there are different speeds at which you can do it at, if you do sideb then immediately b, it goes faster than the 1/4 second you coud wait to use it.

For the record, I usually just use my Dair, I was just pondering possibilities with this (aka, you can go farther out and farther down form the stage with this move than you could with a Dair..)

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Dair is better because it is a true spike whereas this is a meteor spike. If I remember correctly, falco has the best spike in the game, and marth has the second best. In addition to that, falco and marth have the only true spikes.

This move is not very useful IMO, which I believe is why you don't see pros using it in their games.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
meteor spike doesn't make any sense.

Meteor = You can meteor cancel it (go all sparkly and jump out of the downward spiral you are initially sent it). For example, DK's dair and fair, ness' dair, samus' dair, Mario's Fair...you get the idea.

Spike = These send you at an angle, and are IMPOSSIBLE to recover from, unless you tech off a wall or something. Marth's dair spikes and so does Falco's dair. CF and Ganon also have 'nipple spikes' which I'm too familiar with tbh.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
plz explain falcons true spike.. By my experience i think gannon has the best meteor spike in the game
falcon has the NIPPLE SPIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! basically you do his dair but there is a small hitbox near his nipple area (hence the name) that causes the opponent to go down at a 45% angle, non-cancel-able.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
falcon has the NIPPLE SPIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! basically you do his dair but there is a small hitbox near his nipple area (hence the name) that causes the opponent to go down at a 45% angle, non-cancel-able.
What he said. It was tested by Phanna a good degree. As long as you spiked with the upper chest area of Falcon and they went at a 45% angle it was determined to be a true spike. This is also the strongest spike I believe, kills at really low percentages if you pull it off then.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
Marth's B-foward meteor smash is very situational and rarely used, however on the plus side your opponent may not see it coming.

Nerd_of_the_Ages

Smash Rookie
yeah, its a spike, but the timing is kinda hard (or am I just an extreme noob. guessing that I am). Well, harder than the dair, at least.
Good if you're just trying to show of though.

Leiferouis

Smash Rookie
From somewhere i heard that marth's upB on the third hit of the combo is a meteor and roy's downB on the third is a meteor or do i have it the other way around?

Kinda off topic but when i was playing with a level 9 kirby, i couldn't spike him with falco, he's floating and when i spike him, he pops right back up floating.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
From somewhere i heard that marth's upB on the third hit of the combo is a meteor and roy's downB on the third is a meteor or do i have it the other way around?

Kinda off topic but when i was playing with a level 9 kirby, i couldn't spike him with falco, he's floating and when i spike him, he pops right back up floating.
you got it mixed up. marth's vB on the 3rd striek is a meteor and roy's ^B on the 3rd strike is a meteor.

ps: kirby was probably at too low a percentage to die.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
falco has the best spike in the game, and marth has the second best. In addition to that, falco and marth have the only true spikes.
Not true at all. Captain Falcon has the nipple spike with is so much more awesome than either of those. Even though falco and marth's spikes are more useful Captain Falcon's is still a spike and can be applied into someone's game. And what does true spike mean anyways?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
True spike means you can not meteor cancel it. At low percents you may be able to jump after the stun. But meteor spikes (such as Captain Falcons dair when not nipple spiked) can be jumped out of or upB'd out of instantly if you time it well, with true spikes you have to wait for the the stun lag of the attack to be over. I don't know why people still do not know all the true spikes.

True spikes in order of best usability:
1. Falco -> dair
2. Marth -> dair
3. Ganon -> DownB in air (Warlock kick in air)
4. Captain Falcon -> dair (only when done with the upper part of the dair hitbox which is, yes, at Falcon's nipples. You know you have done it when players are hit extremely fast at a 45 degree angle, tested by Phanna enough where he could not get it to be meteor canceled).

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
the move is too predictable. You flash colors, and you need to do 2 moves before the actual spike. Plus if they meteor cancel, you're probably really far out and they can counter easily.
I guess it's less dangerous if you do it above the stage, near the edge, but then i don't see why you wouldn't just dair.

Dullahan

Smash Rookie
True spike means you can not meteor cancel it. At low percents you may be able to jump after the stun. But meteor spikes (such as Captain Falcons dair when not nipple spiked) can be jumped out of or upB'd out of instantly if you time it well, with true spikes you have to wait for the the stun lag of the attack to be over. I don't know why people still do not know all the true spikes.

True spikes in order of best usability:
1. Falco -> dair
2. Marth -> dair
3. Ganon -> DownB in air (Warlock kick in air)
4. Captain Falcon -> dair (only when done with the upper part of the dair hitbox which is, yes, at Falcon's nipples. You know you have done it when players are hit extremely fast at a 45 degree angle, tested by Phanna enough where he could not get it to be meteor canceled).
There are 5 actually. Roy's Upsmash can spike with the tip against people in the air.
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Spike

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
the move is too predictable. You flash colors, and you need to do 2 moves before the actual spike. Plus if they meteor cancel, you're probably really far out and they can counter easily.
I guess it's less dangerous if you do it above the stage, near the edge, but then i don't see why you wouldn't just dair.
actually it can't be THAT predictable because its not really use much at all. (excluding shiek fights and others that i might've missed.)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
n-n-nipple spike? This explains why when I play my friends falcon, I still get Dair even when I'm nowhere near his feet. And here I thought he was just REALLY lucky.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
There are 5 actually. Roy's Upsmash can spike with the tip against people in the air.
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Spike
Actually, that one is also a meteor smash. You get it when an opponent DIs the tip of the up smash either left or right. The tip meteor smashes them into the center of the blade, but if you DI to the side then you escape the following hits and keep the same trajectory as the initial hit.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well its not really about marth but we are talking about spikes...so....

...is Young Link's fire spike dair a true spike?

IrArby

Smash Ace
So would YLink's down A, preferably while crouched on the edge, count as a meteor or normal or nipple spike? I've seen Marth's forward b spike in a youtube tutorial by Alpha Zealot and he does it both from the stage and off. Also Falco has another spike that I know of but it doesn't really fall in with how most people ledge guard with him cause you have to leave the stage to do it. But, if you phantasm (forward B) in the air through a char while he/she is recovering (offstage) it'll spike them downwards. Not sure if the spike comes from meteors or nipples on this on but I'm inclined to think it might be his beak. No one else in the game has one unless you count ganondorf's nose. THen again, this works with fox to.

Black_jo

Smash Journeyman
So would YLink's down A, preferably while crouched on the edge, count as a meteor or normal or nipple spike? I've seen Marth's forward b spike in a youtube tutorial by Alpha Zealot and he does it both from the stage and off. Also Falco has another spike that I know of but it doesn't really fall in with how most people ledge guard with him cause you have to leave the stage to do it. But, if you phantasm (forward B) in the air through a char while he/she is recovering (offstage) it'll spike them downwards. Not sure if the spike comes from meteors or nipples on this on but I'm inclined to think it might be his beak. No one else in the game has one unless you count ganondorf's nose. THen again, this works with fox to.
phantasm is a meteor

marth's side b isnt really used to edge gard because marth has better options like the f-smash,d-tilt, etc. And he has a true spike. You don't wanna use a meteor when you can spike someone.
I think I saw Ken used it against isai's recovery in very old matches. I guess it was used in the past

Top Bottom