• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Smash Discussion

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by SabreAnt
Mic, I'm still waiting to see you on MSN man, coz you are like, never on! Then you can have the bios. Up-B to that? Well I think so too.
Ok, I know it's common knowledge in WA, but....... I DON'T HAVE THE 'NET! *Hangs self*

Just PM them 2 me.
*Goes and bumps @M*

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by That Diablos Guy
YES!!! ADELAIDE GETS ANOTHER SMASHER!!! TAKE THAT TASMANIA!!!

Seriously, there are too many smashers in Melbourne. Their numbers have doubled since I came here. You Melbourne guys should move to other states, spread out a bit, you know? :p

Bardiel, my last exam is on the 25th, I can smash any time after that. As for @M, we can either drive, or take a bus/train/plane. The train is crap according to Zan, so we should cross that off the list of possibilities.
Too many in Melbourne? Admittedly there are more Melbourne people now, but still more is needed if we wanna get something regular going on (...in the Northern suburbs ;)).
Seriously, how am I supposed to learn the game when it takes me 2 hours drive to get anywhere. :(
Blah...

The train is not as bad as I make it out to be, I just didn't find the whole experience... pleasant. If you can drive over and split fuel costs it will save you money, but train is the next best alternative money wise.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, I was just fliping back in this topic and had to laugh when I read this.
Originally by Chronos
Hmmm...**** this topic is pointless...It's doing nothing cept gathering virtual dust. My question though is how many people would even show up at an Aussie tourny? I spose I could find out if I could hold one...More smashboards ppl and others they know though. Like 10 people would come though lol, and they'd all be from my suburb, GREAT! Well I suppose plane tickets aren't too expensive, and maybe with ample warning somebody's bound to wanna be the best that much that they'd pay for it.
If I did, and my parents allowed lol, would anyone seriously bother to come?
Heh heh.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Lol. I admire Chrono's foresight.

PS - It was nice to meet all you FG folks on Monday. Toriya!

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Wow, what great optimism from Shaz over there. Isnt he the guy who is orgainising @M now? Wow, how ironic, or maybe not, sort of, kinda, yeah, it could be.

Anyway, exams finish in 2 weeks, so the perth crew will have to get together for some intense smash training. I feel i have gotten a bit out of shape.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol. I admire Chrono's foresight.
Hehe, reminds me of some quotes from other people. Such as one from NASA in 1967 saying it is impossible for man to land on the moon. Or Bill Gates saying that 32kB of RAM should be enough for anybody. Or even that IBM guy saying that he could forsee the need for maybe 3 computers in the entire world. Famous last words, huh? ^^

Anyway, exams finish in 2 weeks, so the perth crew will have to get together for some intense smash training. I feel i have gotten a bit out of shape.
Yes, and I WILL be there. I want practice at least as much as you guys. Prepare for fumi styles ;)

Kaydash

Smash Apprentice
lol. just goes to show how far a group of motivated otaku will go to play competitive smash. ^_^ i love this place.

this weekend theres a local every-couple of months 120 person LAN (however this time it seems theres going to be a rather under-average turnout). A couple of months ago the lan opened its gaming arms to console LANing so i propsed some smash bros and other Cubeism, of course the post in the forums wasnt an instant hit, but a group of my friends will be attending with me and thier has been a small increase in interest when i mentioned Metroid Echeos will be at the next (one after this) LAN, so hopefully if people get interested i'll see if i can host regular Smash Tournies thier. Even if the regular lanners dont care it's still an already organised event with data projectors (yay!) and is well known, so hopefully North QLD will get a decent smash event soon.

cella_lina

Smash Cadet
Originally by Chronos
Hmmm...**** this topic is pointless...It's doing nothing cept gathering virtual dust. My question though is how many people would even show up at an Aussie tourny? I spose I could find out if I could hold one...More smashboards ppl and others they know though. Like 10 people would come though lol, and they'd all be from my suburb, GREAT! Well I suppose plane tickets aren't too expensive, and maybe with ample warning somebody's bound to wanna be the best that much that they'd pay for it.
If I did, and my parents allowed lol, would anyone seriously bother to come?

lol.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Aww nuts, you're a bit late. I live in brisbane but I'm buggering off in a couple of weeks to go home for the holidays :/

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Calvo:
Aww nuts, you're a bit late. I live in brisbane but I'm buggering off in a couple of weeks to go home for the holidays :/
Home? as in kalgoolie? as in you will be in WA? as in you will be within the range to come and play smash with us in perth!?!?!? And in a few weeks, our exams finish.... coincidence????

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Jon, thanks for those bios, a great read. Heh heh. Glen's "Fruity one rules. To post, or not to post....
BM, I'll PM you a shorter version to add on to page 1.

Has Kalamari posted since?
Oh, and this is fairly important, but can you all give me the reason behind choosing your names? (Except you mus, I think I've figured yours out.)

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
well, my username is quite simple as well.

Gamecube and Nintendo 64 Two of my favourite consoles combined into one. So, i thouhgt through all possiblities like 64th Cube or Cube-64 but they all sucked, then i had a brilliant brainwave ...... how about a 64, that is cubed? like to the power of 3? like 64^3!!! Ah, so abounding of mathamatical genius that i instantly took the name Cubed64. Therefore, my trademark number instantly became 262144, which incase no one knows, is 64^3.

YAY ME!!

And kalamari, hurry up and post. we are busy people with things to do. We only have a 6 day window to organise a tounrey in so chop chop.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Full name: CAOTIC

It pretty much sounds like what it means, except that CAO is my surname (there are discrepancies as to how it is actually pronounced - kaow, cow, K-O, chao, etc). I usually affix some other word at the end of the name, for instance, CAOTIC KELVIN (my dog's name - i've used it since 1998 - a Jack Russell Terrier deserves to be labelled CAOTIC), or CAOTIC FIREFOX (referring to the cool Fox McCloud featured in Super Smash Bros. Melee). His fighting style can only be described as 'CAOTIC,' especially when I play him - breaking records for fastest SD'er ever! XD!!. I've since ditched him for the more stable Falco.

"Mission complete!"

Kaydash

Smash Apprentice
KoF 99 yo`

K` is a character in it, -the- character in my opinion, those crazy **** pronouced the little ` (dash thingy) as the word dash, gees, when will they learn, crazy sods. therfore i raxed it and sinply spelt it in english i guess. Kaydash... ta da.

Kayd or KD for short
or KD-0079/KD-0084 for long

tho for some reason i decided to use D00D for my SSBM nick. feths me.

Bardiel

Smash Rookie
Hmmmm.... sit down and let me tell you a little story sonny....
Its the story of my name.....

Basically its the name of the 13th angel in Neon Genesis...
Yoooouuuuu knoooowww.. the one that takes control of Eva 3 and goes on a rampage.

CATS

Smash Journeyman
hehe bardiel with his extra long arms :)
tabris was the best angel hehehehe

cats is my nickname. i got it because people think i am like a cat in the fact that i sleep whenever i feel like, my nails are sharp and i accidentaly slash people sometimes (they're not long, just sharp) and i am rather self centered as cats are.
...also cats are awesome =(^ v ^)=

i use 'cats' as my display name in melee

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
As for the Sydney tourny, SabreAnt and Plaege may make it to that as they'll likely be in Sydney around then. I on the other hand must hang around here to give R.Musgrave a warm reception with my all too powerful Fox and Doc skills. Hopefully we'll end up meeting up with the American who's in the area then too. :)

My name comes from Chrono Trigger. Crono is the main character for the poor saps who've never played, and Rainbow is his final weapon. I used it for an e-mail addy long ago since everything else was taken. Were it not for MBR entry I'd have made a new account long ago under the name Omnimetrix, my self dubbed word for predicting the probable outcome of any and all actions directed towards an individual in a game. It though is my biggest weakness as Cellas Marth, Emily's special bar in Naruto and my own chokiness are factors which remain too unpredictable. :S Project Omnimetrix was only a partial success. :crazy:

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Calvo is a simple shortening of my last name. I used to use PurpleEva but Calvo is quicker to type. Laziness is the key!

To all the perth guys - I've got a four and a half hour wait at the airport from 12:15 to 4:50 on the 21st of this month while I wait for my flight to kalgoorlie. If you've got something planned (hint hint :p) I probably should be able to make it :)

And cubed, I'm thinking it's not really a coincidence, I'm pretty sure uni exams are kind of set up to finish when year 12 exams finish :)

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Calvo:
I've got a four and a half hour wait at the airport from 12:15 to 4:50 on the 21st of this month while I wait for my flight to kalgoorlie
21st? Nooooooo ..... dammit josh, why do you have to have an exam on the 23rd ...... waaaaaaaaa ...... ok .. ok .. ok... there may be a way around this.

Me and kenton finish exams on the 19th
josh finishes on the 23rd :mad:
ryan has an exam on the 22nd :mad:
mic has finished tafe for the year, so only work is a problem..

ok, through an msn convo with ryan, he aint coming. this eliminates mic, unless he can be dropped off by parents .... Im not sure josh's mum will be too thrilled about the smash session 2 days before josh's exam... this could be very tricky.

For now, it looks like it wont happen :eek: :( :mad: however, when you fly back to brisbane, you will do the same thing, yes? so maybe its a possibilty to meet up then. Its a week longer wait but right now everyone is too busy with exams... sorry... When you plan to fly back to perth from kalgoolie, catch a plane that arrives at perth a decent time before the plane to brisbane goes. That way we will have plenty of time to pick you up, go smash, then drop you back off again.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Ah well, you get that sometimes. I'll be up in perth for various other reasons during the holidays and I can always drive up and stay with some relatives for no apparent reason :)

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Quetz:
mat, kenton is going away for a week starting from the sunday 2 days after our maths exam.
What????

ok, i didnt want to do it.... but it looks like it has to be done ... *sigh* ... i hereby declare the proposed meet up with calvo and the possible perth tourney to be SHAMBLES!!!

dammit .......................

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Don't know if I actually will go to Sydney in December, but Plaege will be. I'm still in the process of entertaining the thought. I dont really want to miss out on Ryan's earlybird visit. It seems so ill-timed, much like Calvo. =p

SabreAnt is my slightly altered adaption of a creature from the card game, 'Magic: The Gathering', by Wizards of the Coast. It was a 2/3 green creature that, when damaged, could spawn permenant 1/1 creatures. It was called Saber Ants. American spelling I suppose. Some useless fact info to go with that is that my MSN screenname, "Dread Lord Multani" is also from the game, a legendary hero from the Legacy set. Although he was known simply as Multani. Got hooked on this game for a few years ago and spent several hundred dollars on it. I still retain my collection, but rarely play now.

Official documentation (but unfortunately, no picture) can be found at this site address:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/default...ts&color=All&output=summary&sort=name&first=1

BladeMarth

Smash Ace
yeah, i got bored of magic too, i wish i didnt waste that much moeny no it now! lol

cant be bothered reading what everyone posted so ill just give a general comment.

SSBM rocks! :D AHAHA ahaha errhh.......

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cubed64
this eliminates mic, unless he can be dropped off by parents
Well, since the airport isn't far from My place, If you want Calvo, I might be able to talk my parents into picking you up and smash at my place. If otherswant...uh I mean can, they are welcome.
EDIT: Mus, tell Mothy I say Happy B'Day.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Well if anyone else can show up, it sounds pretty good to me, but if no-one else can, there's not much point in getting my arse handed to me for four hours straight :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
As apposed to waiting at the airport for Four hours straight?;)
And someone needs to bump @M.

EDIT: Half Life 2 tomorow! Yay!!!!!!:D :cool: ;) :) :p :chuckle: :bee: :demon: :love: :laugh: :rotfl: O_O :starman: *Doesubersmileyspamerism*

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
FTS3

The date for fts3 has been set to December 5th which is a Sunday, I'm fairly certain this day is the most convenient for everyone. Make sure you don't make any plans for this day. All perth peoples just say whether you can make it or not so I can get a rough idea on numbers. Bryce won't be able to come to this one because he will be in Japan.

If numbers are too much for my mum to accept or my house to handle, does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to where we might be able to hold it? I suggested possibly Curtin uni, but thats up to ryan to organise =)
Remember, we are expecting around the 15 mark this time around. (Its always lower than the number I say). But spread the word so that people who do not check smashboards as often like tim and chris are aware.

Rules are the ordinary. Best 2/3 3/4 stock matches depending on time restraints and number of people, 7/8 minutes according to stock. First stage is random from fd, ps and k64, loser chooses the next stage out loud before any character selection proceeds, winner may change character, and then loser may change character, then the stage that was said out aloud is chosen to play on.
Dave's stupid rule applies (no stage can be chosen twice in a 2/3 set)
Counter stages can only be chosen from a list of allowed stages, just ask if your curious whether a certain stage is allowed or not, I have a typed list in a word document.
No items
No wallbombing, i'm looking at you mat =P.
No bryn
No messing around or playing up in an unacceptable manner during the tournament, please, if it is at my house, I will ask you to leave immediately. This applies mainly to the newer people who I am not so familiar with. I'm sure that if the venue is somewhere else, the same level of respect should be applied.
No sore losers/ bad sports/ johns/ complainers/ stealing/ people who resort to physically attacking the competitors/ rude comments or remarks etc.
While I trust all of you whom I have spoken to, I'm more concerned about the 'friends' some of you might want to bring along. Please let them understand this is a fun, but still a serious tournament and co-operation with the system and rules above would be very much appreciated.

We may even do a team tournament this time if we have the numbers.
Also some volunteers to bring extra gamecubes, mem cards and game in case we need it?
Mat ok to bring vcr?
Is it possible to tape 60hz?
Shall we get the capture card around the day of the tourney? (are we still splitting it 3 ways?)
I leave for Burma on the 18th of Dec, we are doing our christmas present giving/receiving on the 12th, other than that, If anyone is interested in just playing some smash, let me know.

People who I am hoping to see coming:
Me, mat, kenton, ryan, mic, chris, tim, kalamari, boognish, roland, evan and tim. Kalamari and roland are welcome to bring friends, but please inform me about how many, Members of the UCC club who are interested are also welcome, again I need to know numbers. If i forgot someone I'm sorry, its past midnight and I must sleep now z_z

Get practicing!

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Yay!!! another tourney! i can taste the smash .. its been sooo long.

No wallbombing, i'm looking at you mat =P.
errr ..... yeah ..... *cough* .... ahem ....

ROFL!!! ahhhh, good one, this should make the tourney complete.

We may even do a team tournament this time if we have the numbers.
Also some volunteers to bring extra gamecubes, mem cards and game in case we need it?
Mat ok to bring vcr?
Is it possible to tape 60hz?
Shall we get the capture card around the day of the tourney? (are we still splitting it 3 ways?)
Ill bring my cube and etc ... we should have 2 TV's going if we want to get the tourney done quickly and efficiently. That waqy we wont be playing the finals at 5pm. If that happens, ill bring my VCR and someone else might have to bring another. Im not sure if it is possible to tape at 60Hz, it might be... i may have to test it out durning the week. I dont want to go back to 50Hz, it hurts my eyes.
Getting the capture card around the tourney date is a great idea, we need to find a good one that isnt too expensive but still does the job. Make sure you research it thorughly, cos we dont want to buy the capture card, then take it home and find out that we need a brand new video card to use it. I think we are still splitting it 3 ways, ill stil chip in anyway.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cubed64
Im not sure if it is possible to tape at 60Hz, it might be... i may have to test it out durning the week. I dont want to go back to 50Hz, it hurts my eyes.
Sorry guys, but you can't tape at 60. At least with my VCR anyway. It goes black and white and has no sound.

I can think of a couple of places that might be usable, but as there not near Cannington, it might not be any good.:p

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl
Bryce won't be able to come to this one because he will be in Japan.
That's no excuse!

Winner may change character, and then loser may change character
I don't like the winner changing, but hey, we haven't done it, it might not be so bad.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
?

I'll bring my cube etc if you need it. And i'll look into the Curtin thing. However, if we are going to Curtin, we'll probably need to bring TV's as well. But, as I said, I'll look into it.

Getting the capture card around the tourney date is a great idea, we need to find a good one that isnt too expensive but still does the job. Make sure you research it thorughly, cos we dont want to buy the capture card, then take it home and find out that we need a brand new video card to use it. I think we are still splitting it 3 ways, ill stil chip in anyway.
As long as it's USB it'll be fine. And if you guys want, I can pitch in a bit more so we can get a slightly better quality one (i.e. if the one we were looking at has 3 pixel resolution or something =P)

Anyhow, the tourney should be good. I'll see you there ^^

EDIT: I'll bring VCR if we need it.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Careful about trying to tape 60hz, make sure to see if you can actually get taping going smoothly before you go ahead and start taping the tournament. I remember taping myself doing some stuff in practice mode once not long ago, but I was highly unsatisfied with the quality, thought it was a bad tape, or a dodgy VCR or something, turns out that 60hz was the problem. Sound was dreadful, and the picture was on LSD.. =p

Yes grasshopper.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Since Optus has encrypted their Cable TV, Dad has no use for his video capture card anymore. I'll be testing it out in the holidays sometime so I can flood you guys with vids of me getting owned so you can help me :p

Use Freeloader to output SSBM in NTSC and if your VCR is NTSC compatible you can tape it no problem. (NTSC is 60hz)

Top Bottom