• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Smash Discussion

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sunnuva *****.

Nintendo Aus's head of Marketing on IGN said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee (He means Brawl, the tool) is coming out, due for first quarter next year
So much for hoping we'd get it before January. :/

Blackadder

Smash Master
^^^
Oh, bloody hell.
I was really hoping for a late december date for us...

*Sigh*

..Feb maybe?

On update:
Diddy Kong...
Ehh. Cute, I guess, but I'm not a fan of him. At least it's another one more to the roster!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Petey = boss, at least now we know.

Yeah, Wii kinda sucks. I JUST WANT METROID PRIME 3 NINTENDO! Give it to me you dirty jerks! Lol. I don't want to wait til November but I can't afford to mod my Wii then import it.

November is too long to wait to witness the finale to Prime.

D:

Uncool.

Blackadder

Smash Master
So, how many og you guys will be visiting SWF once Brawl comes out? Will ya'll be trying to avoid the site as to not spoil the game, or...?

I know I'll still be on...I'm to weak to NOT know the secrets. :laugh:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm a mod of the Brawl rooms, plus I'm updating SWF's Brawl Blog. I've got no chance of avoiding spoilers...good thing I wouldn't anyway ;)

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Heh I never thought Brawl would be a game in which I would go outter my way to avoid spoilers...its not like a Final Fantasy or Zelda or something. But still I suppose some people want to be surprised at the characters the unlock and things...

Sirias

Smash Champion
Well it's normal to stop playing an older version of something for the newer version.
Not all the time, though, heh.
You never know, there might be some things in Brawl that you don't like as much as it is in Melee so you might play it (Melee) now and again.
Anyway, it's a game you play with friends, so you'll still only be playing it for fun anyway.

Woo. Basshunters are awesome.
D-d-d-DotA.
And Eifel 65 with that freakin Blue song. D: I don't know why but I wanted to hear it and now I know why I haven't listened to it for so long, because it's not that good. Hahah.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I'll play Brawl... it'll be hard to say no. If Ridley is in the game then I'm so there and all over that awesome villain.

>.>

Ahem, anyway... yeah, I'll probably play them both though. Assuming SSBM lives on for awhile yet.

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
Brawl might have a lot of content going for it but let’s hope it’s not just content aimed at casual gamers. Let’s hope Nintendo keep in mind the competitive element that kept most of us hooked for so long. I’m more concerned about balance and difficulty.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Forget the content, Brawl will just make it so much easier to play against other people assuming online is in, I expect that smash bros will become alot more competitive in this country if it is.
But it would be very disapointing if the gameplay was lacking

Bjay

Smash Lord
If there is online content, I just hope it doesn't get mucked up. :/ I trust a good job will be done though.

lol, I'm gonna enjoy going to meets and play Brawl with only like, 3 or 4 new characters unlocked and the rest of the boxes are "?" :p

N30N

Smash Apprentice
thats if lag is not such a horrible issue,
i have enough problems with lag in fps games and things were you don't need timing down to the 1/60'th of a second, -.-~
anyway im sure it will develop over time, if it has got no 'good players' after like 12 months the gameplay must have some fundamental problems :p i think anyway. it takes a lot of prac to get good at a good game :)

Bjay

Smash Lord
thats if lag is not such a horrible issue,
i have enough problems with lag in fps games and things were you don't need timing down to the 1/60'th of a second, -.-~
anyway im sure it will develop over time, if it has got no 'good players' after like 12 months the gameplay must have some fundamental problems :p i think anyway. it takes a lot of prac to get good at a good game :)

Our timing will be off for Brawl once we start playing it, but like from 64 to Melee, we'll be used to it in time.

I hope lag isn't an issue, cause like, having massive lag when there's 4 players on Fountain of Dreams can be a bit annoying! :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
lol, I'm gonna enjoy going to meets and play Brawl with only like, 3 or 4 new characters unlocked and the rest of the boxes are "?" :p
Multiplayer is the only way to unlock characters :p

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
If its online, it will lag, if it lags, it will be unplayable. Like Neon said, most FPS's like Halo and Counter Strike can still work well due to not needing absolute split second timing. However if Brawl is anything like Melee it terms of timing...it would be impossible. Imagine trying to wavedash, L-Cancel, and tech with even a quater second of lag, it would throw you off completly. And whats worse is, you most likely wont be able to adapt to the lag, as its different for each person who hosts... Also, I could see whoever is hosting the game just owning everyone else and thinking that they are really cool for it...

In summary: If Brawl is online, it will not work...well.

And Mic: Perry Bible Fellowship ftw!

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
Lag is a big issue and it's a possibility Nintendo have foreseen this.

It might be the reason we are pretty clueless in regard to what the actual online capabilities of Brawl are. There is either going to be no online play, or online play will be restricted (as seen in Mario Kart DS)

I'd rather them spend the time working out character balances and in game content, rather then wasting time implementing online features which could possibly end up being crappy.

One things for certain though.
Online play will never destroy tournament play.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Snakey-wakey is right. D:
Done enough tournaments and played enough without online stooff. :D
Though that's not to say having online play would suck, it would be pro.
But I want more characters and moves and stuff and crud like that, yeah. =] Yeah.

... Yeah... *leaves* <_<;;

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Thing most people go on about is the lag, ruining split second timing, ect, but we all know it's not going to be perfect, but s long as it can be FUN that's good enough for me :p

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavedashing etc will be fine. You will just have to play a few seconds in front at the worst.

It'll be fun for just being able to play against people. As long as you don't have the horrible internet things Nintendo has had so far, having user interface lockup while waiting for network data and things like a simple number of people online and number of people in games which would've been great in Strikers on the Wii.

Me and Mic waited for 30 minutes for a game >_<

Blackadder

Smash Master
Lag is scary, but for me, if it's fun, it's cool.

I don't mind a bit of lag, but if everyone is seen in frame-by-frame movements in a 4 player online match, I'll be pretty sad. But still, tournies. They'll always be there for us Smashers! :p

LemonManX

Smash Lord
No need to worry. I'm sure almost all Smashers who attend the monthlies will keep attending them.

I enjoy playing against people irl in games more than I do over the net.

Although, online will be a nice option if I'm sitting at home bored and want to play a random game of Smash.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Me and Mic waited for 30 minutes for a game >_<
To be fair it was 10:30 at night. Haven't had any problems with finding a match since then (except for finding ones where people don't just jump over the goalie :()

Dekar289

Smash Hero
I'm up for strikers anytime, boys B)

I get more annoyed with Boos that deke through the goalie.

Blackadder

Smash Master
My view on online as opposed to offline/in person:

On one hand, it's a lot easier to play, and find games online -- As well as being able to play against people that are quite a distance away. On the other hand... The lag (even miniscule) lowers the competetive aspect of playing, because not everyone is on equal grounds, ignoring skill levels of course. An example of this: A new player hosts a game against a skilled player. The new player, having almost no lag, has an advantage over the skilled player, who has to compensate their timing to cope with the lag.

In this regard, I see online Brawl as more of a very-large "practice arena" other than an avenue to properly compete in.

Offline play, of course, has no lag issues (other than TV based), but does have location based issues. Everyone has to be in the same general location; On the positive, the atmosphere is totally different when you're dealing in person as opposed to virtual.

Short version: Online Brawl practice, Offline Brawl competetive, lag bad.

On a somewhat related note: Has online Brawl actually been confirmed/denied by Nintendo/Sakurai, or are they still dancing around the subject? Also, officially confirmed Australian release date yet?
I agree with most of that, as online will very likely have lag, even if it comes out in very small doses. Sadly, it's all I have a shot at, unless when I'm in uni in a few years I lug my arse down to the monthlies some time. I hope to, really. Tourny playing won't be killed by online, but online will add a glimer of hope to us that can't attend for whatever reason.

Also, no online has been confirmed, per se. And no Aust. date is out yet, but I anticipate one in several weeks. Just on the off chance Nintendo will get up and say "This and this is happening! And omg this too! Oh, and PAL Brawl will come out *Insert date here*. Just a hope.

Now, todays update was interesting.

I guessed a music update, but this is pretty cool.
I have complained a lot about the music not being to my favour, but now I can turn the ****e of and let the good stuff play, which is great.

But I look forward to how songs will form transitions with each other.
Also, I love the Poke'mon tune. Classic stuff, and about time the music was good again. But heres what interests me:

Does this help or hinder Ridley?
To me, it makes the whole "Ridley theme" less orientated on the creature itself, and more to this idea. It could be "Just another song for the My Music feature" or a rela hint at Ridley himself?

Yes? No? Maybe? Am I jumping the gun?
It just interests me, is all.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Hey guys.
I just got Project64K, and have been testing out the online function.
So far my experiance is negative, and most of my games have lagged like hell, but I was wondering if it would be faster if I was playing against Australians? Do any of you play Smash 64 online?

...It's lonely versing 2 people with extreem lag. :laugh:

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.
I just got Project64K, and have been testing out the online function.
So far my experiance is negative, and most of my games have lagged like hell, but I was wondering if it would be faster if I was playing against Australians? Do any of you play Smash 64 online?

...It's lonely versing 2 people with extreem lag. :laugh:
The game's usually not even worth playing against people with >100 ping, so yeah, it's not flawless but it is much better if you're playing against Australians. iiNet and Zoowhouse are the main hangouts. I'm usually up for a game, MSN me and we'll play (in a couple days, I'm capped atm).

Blackadder

Smash Master
The game's usually not even worth playing against people with >100 ping, so yeah, it's not flawless but it is much better if you're playing against Australians. iiNet and Zoowhouse are the main hangouts. I'm usually up for a game, MSN me and we'll play (in a couple days, I'm capped atm).
Ahh, okay.
I may just PM or MSN you on that in a week or so.
Thanks for the advice, admists the bunch on transvestite mother loving people above us! (Joke, joke, I kid)

But thank you for your advice.

Top Bottom