• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Smash Discussion

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yay!
WI-FI. I like it how its been shown I will be able to play people from all over thw world! Even if the speed will be slow, I'll give it a go versing some yanks. Should be great! I can't see a single person being upset with this update. ...save for the poor mods. They have their work set out for 'em. XD

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Tell me about it. Plus the fact that N-Siders closed up last night, so now we've got a bunch of new bies who are used to a forum with a lot more lax rules.....sigh >.<

Still, best update evar. ^^

Blackadder

Smash Master
Tell me about it. Plus the fact that N-Siders closed up last night, so now we've got a bunch of newbies who are used to a forum with a lot more lax rules.....sigh >.<

Still, best update evar. ^^
Heh, I forgot about the Nsiders thing. Does anyone have any idea why that fairy-princess forum closed anwyays? Many people have stated it was a "Sudden" close.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
LOL, Perth is gonna lag the rest of Australia... don't play them! =O jk

I think online sucks.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
I agree with Cao.
This might mean that some people won't come to meets.
If they are even held anymore :(
Which defeats the purpose for having a community.
If there even will be a community anymore. :(

Online makes Boozer cry :(

Everyone! Make a promise that you guys will still meet up to play lagless and social Smash <3

Otherwise Boozer will turn emo. :(

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Come ON, it's obvious that brawl's online would never be practical for any sort of tournament.

Local tournies continue.

freddo

Smash Journeyman
If anyone knows me, they know that I have a huge problem with playing in 50hz mode. Some people look at me crazy when I tell them that they're playing in 50hz mode, I can spot it from a mile away. If this new online feature lags one bit then I'm not touching it. Otherwise I would have the odd friendly online with someone I haven't seen or played with for a while.

People will get their fix playing online, but you'll never get the fix that comes from participating in a tourney. If people are satisfied with playing at home, by themselves, online, then I don't particularly want them to come to a tourney anyway. As long as monthly tournaments exist, the crowd will still come and the community will stay alive. And like Cao said, Perthites are laggers, and I like them too much to only play online with them.

They're my thoughts.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Lag calculations:

1000ms per second
60 frames per second
16.6ms per frame
Ping to another Vic player, just tested with freddo, 18ms

So if you play someone nearby with a non-gay connection, you'll have a massive 1frame of lag.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Online for the lose. D:<
Giz me a Falcon Punch offline anyday.
1 frame of lag will be the end of Smash.

I say we eat Brawl and let it play on Cinema Screens with no lag (especially final matches for tournies). Preferably South Bank because it's cheap there. :D $5 entry KGO!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Online is for FUN and will in no way replace smashfests.

Also, if anyone of you guys makes a topic for a clan in the next few days I'll ban your ***** so fast... G**** brawl rooms.>.<

Blackadder

Smash Master
Online is for FUN and will in no way replace smashfests.

Also, if anyone of you guys makes a topic for a clan in the next few days I'll ban your ***** so fast... G**** brawl rooms.>.<

Heehee.
This whole WI-FI thing has caused a huge explosion. I saw something about the "2 percent clan" about a million threads on "ZOMG WI FI", several threads about people complaining about WI FI, threads on threads about people complaining (Which are ironically just as annoying) and some stuff on...you guessed it, WI-FI!

Mic, you have your work coming out at you from all corners. Have fun! :laugh:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Whilst everyone goes on about lag, I think the biggest issue I have with online is that it will streamline gameplay styles across the globe. I think that in itself will ruin the traveling experience as it'll remove the sense of discovery when you're visitng other regions. Remember in Comrades 2 when the Kiwis came over and people here fell for the most random ****? They had a weird style peopple weren't used to. That's what it should all be about. I mean, whats the point in going to Sydney, Brisbane, Perth or Japan/America when the players are going to be more or less identical to your friendly neighborhood, who has access to wi-fi?

freddo

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point Cao, but I'd like to know what you think about this. Ken made marth what it is today right? People then scammed off him every trick he came up with. No marth though, has ever really turned out to look like Ken's. Yeah they borrow his tricks, but in the end you can always spot Ken's marth from a mile away. Ken has been playing since the game came out pretty much, and people know that his style works, yet 5 years later no one has been able to emulate it properly.

I hope that people don't lose the feeling that makes them want to personalise their own characters. It's like when you see someone use a red marth, you automatically think they're trying to be like Ken or that Ken's style is an inspiration to them. Brawl should have a huge bunch of clothing colour options to help prevent this.

I don't think it will be an issue in community based smash. What do you think?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Every player will still be their own, but as regions, places will homogenize. Take Japan for instance - since they were (and still are) out of the Smashboards loop, we have developed little understanding of their style until we actually played them, or watched their small amount of vids (however watching vids isn't as effective as playing them if you're trying to emulate their play style). Since the bridge is effectively connected via online play, Japanese people are going to want to play with, say, American smashers and vice versa. I'm assuming at this point both countries play in very different styles but with online play they will fast become more similar in general. Heck, I will now use a real example of Japanese players playing US players and the outcome of that: During OC2, 7 mostly pro Japanese players arrived to America and made people happy with their weird styles. After OC2, all the Japanese players returned to their home countries as advanced campers, as they learned from American ones, and taught all the other Japanese smashers how to camp -_- so I'm guessing their next batch of visitors to the US will eventually pick up on ledge camping too, since everyone in the US ledge camps now and reinvents play by seeking out the cheapest way to win. Japan used to fight with individual flair, now they just camp like the many others.

In conclusion, with the release of brawl, the whole world will become ledge campers in approximately 1 week.

... except for PAL since they'll get the game 3-6 months later.

The same theory can be applied to Ken's Marth. If I were to stupidly guess how many inferior Ken clones there are, I'd randomly put the number at 500 (Syke is one of them <3). With Online, there will probably be 100,000 inferior Ken clones.

This probably sounds like a great thing to those who are stuck in isolated places like Alaska, Burkina Faso, or Cape Horn, but for those who travel for Smash, one of the elements that make it enjoyable will be destroyed. You can still travel to tournaments to socialize and hang out with your friends, but you won't learn anything new playing them. Overall I hold a pretty elitist view (one that promotes expensive travel), so I guess that just makes me one big fat elitist.

hmmmm, LOL I just posted a whole bunch of rubbish, but hopefully my message is clear enough.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cao just wants his American found skills to be unmatched by his Australian peers. You all know he's that elitist. And sexy. Mostly sexy. But there's definitely some elitist in there.

*Says the guy with European found skills*

EDIT: Also, Comrades 3 videos anyone? I still haven't come clean on my promise to help Freddo beat Cao.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Wow, for once Bringer may be wrong! I yearn to be an average/mediocre twirling **** and get my butt whooped frequently, simply because it's boring that there's not enough challenges out here. I haven't been practicing and the peers are catching up.

It's more fun if you have a goal to reach and right now apparently I'm sitting on top of it, so I can see where Shaz is coming from.

Comrades 3? News to me, LOL... OH, you mean Comrades 2! :) only Sloth can help you there.

...and you promised you'd help Freddo to beat me? Interesting... I hope that goes well - I helped you in advance since I just handed him the last Monthly, so it looks like your job is done LOL

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Guys, read Playing to Win by David Sirlin.

Cao used an example of ledge camping, this pretty much just reveals smash to be a competitive fighting game with major flaws! If a stupidly cheap and basically uncounterable tactic like this is discovered, of course it'll be used by everyone, because everyone wants to win.

If Smash Brawl is so inflexible that one particular tactic destroys every other tactic, it just proves that it is a degenerate game. If the game is any good, then there will always be room for individual styles.

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
No more hype about online play. It will never replace tournament play!!!

The options are too pathetic for that anyway. There are no Brackets, and therefore no online tournaments.

Anyway I'm sure as hell that people like ken will not be giving out their friend code to randoms

Bjay

Smash Lord
I see Online Play as a means to just play someone if you feel like it after you've done everything on Brawl, not that it will happen for me for a while. But I'm sure after a few games of Brawl I'll test out Online Play and see how it is.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I'm with everyone else here pretty much.

To me it seems like online will be like a friendly match you can have any time xD

But it'll never replace the Smash Scene that I've come to know.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Heehee, I'm suprised one can't see Mic's vains on his head by now.
I think I've seen about 5 threads he's closed tonight. I would have given up in humanity by now. :laugh:

One can't help but feel sorry for SWF's poor staff, who go out like this everyday, put up with the stupidst of posts (Like this), close silly threads, deal with n00bs talking crap about being better than the mod in question, and, yet, still manage to keep their sanity by the end of the night.
That's a skill.

I mean, seriously, this is the reason I would never even contemplate becoming a mod of the Brawl rooms.
Also, I miss Mic's old avatar. :( (The little toy frog snapshot)

Yeah, I'm about done now. I just felt like mentioning it.
Good job with all your work mic! :p

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, for once Bringer may be wrong! I yearn to be an average/mediocre twirling **** and get my butt whooped frequently, simply because it's boring that there's not enough challenges out here. I haven't been practicing and the peers are catching up.

It's more fun if you have a goal to reach and right now apparently I'm sitting on top of it, so I can see where Shaz is coming from.

Comrades 3? News to me, LOL... OH, you mean Comrades 2! :) only Sloth can help you there.

...and you promised you'd help Freddo to beat me? Interesting... I hope that goes well - I helped you in advance since I just handed him the last Monthly, so it looks like your job is done LOL
I was joking pretty much for all of that post. Don't take what I say literally, especially when it's posted at 2:30am.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I wrote a long post regarding a homogenised playing field last night and it got lost due to being capped and this board failing on me. Either way, the point I was trying to make is that online play is probably going to raise the bar a lot for the average brawl player compared to the average melee player, so individual play styles may be a lot more subtle than they are now. It really depends on a lot on how Brawl will be with mind games.

I wouldn't worry a lot about different regions, specifically comparing Japan to America, anyone playing competitively is not going to be getting a low enough latency to take international games seriously, if they are even possible.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Why don't they just give us NTSC (that's playable on a PAL Wii) instead of PAL so we can play it earlier.
Sounds good.
Kgo.
And then we can exchange NTSC for PAL for free when it comes out.
Yeah.
Totally.
=]

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
g cawk. NTSC is about 6% faster and the power voltage is different as well for some strange reason. Its like toilets, they spin the other way in the different hemispheres, who knows why, it just does <3

sLibs

Smash Cadet
Watup all, havent been here for ages, any tourni's up? For all that dont know me which is basically would be all by now, Im erick (jmoats's cousin) n last tourni i attended was SEAT2, i think im still using the sig LOL that was ages go, anyway just wanted to post to see wats the happy haps.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
According to the Smash update about Online play. I actually have my hopes up for them not changing anything this time :D:D:D!

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Syke: PAL60 is the same speed as NTSC. PAL60 is the same resolution and framerate as NTSC with PAL colour encoding. Unless you're really whacked and play 50hz up there NTSC will be the same speed as PAL60.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Syke, the only slowness difference between PAL and some versions of NTSC is that those NTSC versions have no hit slowdown. Things like Samus' up-b will go at the same speed when hitting someone as it would if it hit no one. Zelda's up and forward smashes are actually impossible to DI out of unless you were in a good position do start with.

The only difference is freeze frames are present in PAL. They didn't re-animate attacks between versions so we still have attacks taking exactly the same number of frames and having exactly the same number of frames per second.

Unless you were joking. Then what I just said is irrelevant.

Top Bottom