• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Interesting thought: Nintendo is the only (at least major) electronic gaming company that makes the capabilities of its hardware based on what they want their software to do, instead of the other way around.

And that's really amazing, when you think about it. That's why they're always the company to make games that show how their hardware can be used in fun, interesting, and (at least at times) intuitive ways. This self-demonstration of their own software on proprietary hardware with purpose-designed features allows the company to make hardware innovations that don't completely flop!

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I know this is a double post, but you're all inactive and I just did this now, so meh.

I decided to take care of my Club Nintendo coins and I ordered a free Game and Watch: Ball for myself. I figured it would at least be interesting to own a functioning replica of a 1980 handheld gaming system. I fear that I might catch a sever case of hipster, though....

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I know this is a double post, but you're all inactive and I just did this now, so meh.

I decided to take care of my Club Nintendo coins and I ordered a free Game and Watch: Ball for myself. I figured it would at least be interesting to own a functioning replica of a 1980 handheld gaming system. I fear that I might catch a sever case of hipster, though....
A friend of mine once gave me a Game and Watch her grandmother had. It was Donkey Kong. Later, my mum gave me Chef which my grandmother had at one point.

Odd, that.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I'm finding that speculating on ships for World of Warships is more fun than speculating on characters for the next Super Smash Bros. games: for SSBIV, all you can really do is find some Nintendo characters and arbitrarily make up moves, without even concern for balancing.

In World of Warships, any given ship needs to fit in a certain category (destroyer, cruiser [light or heavy], battleship [or battlecruiser], aircraft carrier), have a speed/armor/armament balance comparable to ships that have been confirmed or at least balanceable with other ships that have been confirmed for that tier (or the tiers above or below that), and even the time frame that the ship was designed and built during can typically influence where it gets placed in the game's tech trees. Most importantly, the ship in question must exist, either by having actually been built, or at least in the form of plans that had been drawn up by that country's military.

To give an example, the Tier I starting ship for each nation is a training ship built by the nation in question and was in commission during the late 1930's and/or early 1940's. The Tier I training ship must have a couple torpedo tubes, a few deck guns of between 5.5 and 6 inches in caliber or so per gun, and one spotter plane as an armament. For example, the United States and Japanese ships that fit these criteria (and have been confirmed to be the Tier I ships for those nations) are the Erie class patrol gunboat and the Katori Class cruiser respectively. The speculative part is finding ships from the United Kingdom, Germany, USSR, Italy, France, and so on to act as fitting counterparts that can be balanced against the known ships of the tier! Good research mission for those who can't get enough Wikipedia, I suppose.

[/onlymarginallyrelevantwalloftext]

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm finding that speculating on ships for World of Warships is more fun than speculating on characters for the next Super Smash Bros. games: for SSBIV, all you can really do is find some Nintendo characters and arbitrarily make up moves, without even concern for balancing.

In World of Warships, any given ship needs to fit in a certain category (destroyer, cruiser [light or heavy], battleship [or battlecruiser], aircraft carrier), have a speed/armor/armament balance comparable to ships that have been confirmed or at least balanceable with other ships that have been confirmed for that tier (or the tiers above or below that), and even the time frame that the ship was designed and built during can typically influence where it gets placed in the game's tech trees. Most importantly, the ship in question must exist, either by having actually been built, or at least in the form of plans that had been drawn up by that country's military.

To give an example, the Tier I starting ship for each nation is a training ship built by the nation in question and was in commission during the late 1930's and/or early 1940's. The Tier I training ship must have a couple torpedo tubes, a few deck guns of between 5.5 and 6 inches in caliber or so per gun, and one spotter plane as an armament. For example, the United States and Japanese ships that fit these criteria (and have been confirmed to be the Tier I ships for those nations) are the Erie class patrol gunboat and the Katori Class cruiser respectively. The speculative part is finding ships from the United Kingdom, Germany, USSR, Italy, France, and so on to act as fitting counterparts that can be balanced against the known ships of the tier! Good research mission for those who can't get enough Wikipedia, I suppose.

[/onlymarginallyrelevantwalloftext]
I disagree man, if you're dedicated, you can come up with a ton of ideas for smash 4. I can attest to that... the discussion group has 3 pages of stuff, stuff about characters, stuff about frame data, things on movesets and stages, balancing characters, music hubs, general discussion, the list goes on...

And what? Mewtario in the Australian boards??

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Oh, ~automatic had me on edge for a moment there. I thought he was saying that this was the Australian board, like I accidentally posted that reply in the Australian subforum of Smash Boards or something.

Anyway, my point is that it seems as if Smash 4 is comparatively less immersive when speculating and giving ideas. Case and point, I was making up move sets off the top of my head when I was 13 or 14 back when the Nintendo Nsider forums were still running! It didn't take much research, either. By contrast, I had to call upon essentially a footnote to my Titanic research when making a suggestion topic for a "crash stop" skill for steam-driven vessels for WoWs (the idea is that typically when reversing a ship, you need to slow down the propellers, stop them momentarily, then reverse the engines, while a crash stop is where, on steam-driven ships at the very least, the ship's engines are directly set into reverse without even slowing them down; the maneuver, which is almost exclusively done when first testing a ship out, risks damaging the engines. It's comparable to driving your car forward and then shifting your car into reverse without even braking first).

Most of these move sets that people make for the Smash Bros. games are comparatively obvious, and when they're not it seems as if people pull something out of their ***** instead of doing a comparable deal of research. I simply don't imagine someone playing every Mario platformer, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. looking for a few-second reference of a move they can use for a Drybones side-B....

Mewtario

Smash Ace
One of WoWs' producers has answered one of the questions of the daily Q&A by saying that the Tier X (most powerful) Japanese destroyer in the launch tech tree is one that was actually completed (as opposed to being just a proposal). That gives much more room to place probable guesses than anything that the Smash Bros. producers can offer :D

Because what's also known about this ship of mystery is that it doesn't have any guided weapons, was most probably built during or not long before 1945, and can be balanced with the Tier X US destroyer, which was officially confirmed to be this ship class, particularly with this armament.

So basically, it's like finding what pieces fit the criteria to fit in a puzzle, instead of speculating for Smash IV, which is like playing darts and finding out if you scored a hit three years later.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nice, more sleeping material.

:phone:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Oh, ~automatic had me on edge for a moment there. I thought he was saying that this was the Australian board, like I accidentally posted that reply in the Australian subforum of Smash Boards or something.
This thread has all the Australians and I so it's pretty much an Aussie thread.

EDIT: Smash 4 moveset threads are hilariously bad.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
People are dumb. 99.9% of all the character threads are bad, because they have unrealistic expectations.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
*buries face in hands*

I can't promote an image of well thought-out speculation if I tried...

*goes and looks at thread*

Oh and isn't it only BC and I in here who are Aussies? :p

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Meanwhile, they're like "I WANT BOMBERMAN, KRYSTAL, [some other ******** choice]".

The only character I would guess is either Lloyd or Kratos from Tales of Symphonia, assuming Bamco cares. The game needs at least 20 more sword users, so...

And this is a somewhat safe bet. No Tekken or Soul Calibur characters.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No to Krystal. Just...no.

I also forgot about Fire Emblem. They will probably include one of the lords from the most recent one.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
woooow so that's how seriously they take themselves. lol.

WE ARE PROFESSIONAL SPECULATORS
I like their concept of character support which is basically posting you want a character in and using that character as an avatar (and sig maybe) and thinking this will have an effect on the actual game's roster.

Roster poll discussions are also pretty entertaining since people have so much faith in polls made by some guy who wants Waluigi or Prince Tricky in Smash, lol.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
The other half is that you really can't shoot down an idea except by saying that you would prefer if they didn't implement it....

In contrast, World of Warships has ideas that can be shot down because they would overly alter the gameplay or be too simple strategically. Such ideas include putting submarines into the game, modern warships, and probably flat sea maps....

The closest Smash IV comes is, "No, that belongs to a competing company!" in the case of characters like Sly Cooper or Master Chief or such. Hell, even Geno might be acceptable now that third party characters are now fair game and it was stated that they want to add older characters!

PS, it was said that the new Smash Bros. may have the same number of characters as Brawl. I vote for them to add previous characters as (preferably free, at the very least initially) DLC.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
PS, it was said that the new Smash Bros. may have the same number of characters as Brawl. I vote for them to add previous characters as (preferably free, at the very least initially) DLC.
I highly doubt it. Sakurai said he was intent on adding new characters and i don't think he's going to cut so much that it will be the same amount of characters. Why bother cutting when you can just add, you know?

Just saw AotA get wrecked on online stream. That said, I like his Lucario. Nice to see you're still practicing man. ^^

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yo, FAE is a better player and that lag was horrendous. #johnjohnson
Yea, i'm so glad to see him coming back to Lucas. <3

The stream was like 10 full seconds behind what actually happened, I remember when Ruinn and FAE played, he'd come in while I was watching on stream and go 'yessss' and I knew he'd won that match.

His snake went even with FAE's Lucas and he beat FAE at the ZSS ditto. :o

Ruinn's a darn good player, actually.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I highly doubt it. Sakurai said he was intent on adding new characters and i don't think he's going to cut so much that it will be the same amount of characters. Why bother cutting when you can just add, you know?
Last I heard, he had a team working with him to keep this entry in the series more balanced than the previous one, and they can only keep balancing so many characters. After googling it, however, it seems that the information I was thinking of may be outdated.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Last I heard, he had a team working with him to keep this entry in the series more balanced than the previous one, and they can only keep balancing so many characters. After googling it, however, it seems that the information I was thinking of may be outdated.
Haha, i'm sure Namco Bandai will be able to handle it, my friend. They're not planning on releasing this game for a few years yet! ^^

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Time to speculate: Nintendo is going to release Pokémon X and Pokémon Y in Japan, North America, Europe, and Australia at the same time. Is this a one-off thing, or might we see Smash IV enjoy a similar treatment?

Top Bottom