• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Hey guys here's why Smash is "dying".

A game hasn't been released in 5 years.

That's why.
Maybe it is because I'm one of the few remaining straglers ,but that doesn't seem like good logic to me. People play basketball and the basic rules of the game hasn't changed in well over 5 years. Brawl started losing popularity the month after it's release. I guess people are just content crazy these, because if you take a look at LOL it is as popular as every and they release a new character regularly. Under the current way fighting game engines work that wouldn't be a very smart idea.

As for MK they waited to long to Ban him. If they were going to do it should have been some where near the end of the first year. The funny thing is that there were some legitimate rumbling of banning MK. Sucks that the brawl community over centralizes the ideas of top tournament placers sometimes.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude

But not in Smash, no. Because that would make too much sense. And the enormous amount of MK mains...

But whatever, this is what everyone wanted.
Many of the players who decided to keep MK in the initial ban decision were MK mains. During the URC movement the people who were "appointed" to ban MK either didn't main MK or weren't top performers with MK.

This is just like politics.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The logic is that all the players that picked it up back then have moved on. Since nothing new in terms of Smash has been offered, it hasn't pulled anybody back in.

Commercialized sports keep their pull because there's a new season every year. New season is the equivalent of a major update or new release in e-sports.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The logic is that all the players that picked it up back then have moved on. Since nothing new in terms of Smash has been offered, it hasn't pulled anybody back in.

Commercialized sports keep their pull because there's a new season every year. New season is the equivalent of a major update or new release in e-sports.
Look at the Melee numbers. While they have dropped, the game is still holding strong at 11 years old.

It's only been almost 5 years for Brawl, and the numbers have dropped significantly...there's obviously something wrong here.

Automatic, you are bad at quoting...somehow...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Melee has a more dedicated base, that and Brawl can't agree on bans for anything even at 5 years in, lol.

Also someone teach me Lucario things I should work on. :D

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I want brawlers and meelee-ers to get along. :c

Our community is better than this. :mad:
Getting along is too shallow. I think we have to look at why we don't like each other. We both like Nintendo and video games, but obviously you want the game you like the most to be the most dominate. I don't support project:M because from what I read and discussed with people in the community is that generally they just try to make everything harder and more technical. There is nothing wrong with that if you like that type of thing, but I don't so I shy away from it.

Look at the Melee numbers. While they have dropped, the game is still holding strong at 11 years old.

It's only been almost 5 years for Brawl, and the numbers have dropped significantly...there's obviously something wrong here.

Automatic, you are bad at quoting...somehow...
Well it is clear to me after 5 years that we just lack organization. We have the instal base. I have meet and invited casuals to come and play at tournaments, but lack of regular schedules and easy place to find tournament infomation is quite annoying. I though allisBrawl was in the step in the right direction, but for some reason the Smash community decided to stay here when this site clearly lacks the organization tools.

Also, Brawl has too many elements that just put skill into question. We all know the obvious stuff like tripping, but recently the project:M people found that brawl randomly has 0-2 frames of input delay thanks to a bug in the code. SMH!

Melee has a more dedicated base, that and Brawl can't agree on bans for anything even at 5 years in, lol.

Also someone teach me Lucario things I should work on. :D
Recently I discovered that any character can drop off of platform out of shield. It is kinda trick to do. While on a platform you have to slightly tilt down. ( You have to tilt further than if you were trying to shield DI, but not so much that you do a spot dodge). I found this useful in situations where Lucario is getting pressured on the platforms by characters with superior options like MK.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Brawl's metagame is just campy and not fun. I believe that when a newcomer enters and tourney and realizes this, they're probably thinking "This is stupid. I just got timed out during my first tourney match."

Project:M...I tried it. I won't ****talk too much, because some people want it, and I can respect them..that being said, I don't like it and think it's dumb. They really are trying to make it Melee 2.0 (despite claims it is only "inspired" by Melee), but with odd design choices for the new characters. They could just...you know...PLAY MELEE.

Anyways, Smash4U is the future, maybe...

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
every game series has ppl that prefer the early versions and who see the newer ones as blasphemous to the origin of the franchise.

I have friends who still play N64 smash and say the other games are too complicated to be fun. Halo has multiple generations of fans who hate the games that came out later than the version they spent most of their time on. Oh, and guess what. There will be plenty of players who, no matter what amazing new changes it boasts, will hate the newest Smash game yet to come out and who will stick to Brawl until the day they die.

When it comes to Smash Bros. however, I think the very fact that people work to create these new games that fit their interests and playstyles (P:M, B+, etc) means that the community is stronger and more vibrant than the others. That's something that should bring us all together, not something for us to fight about.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
While I've actively supported the modding community through work with Minus and simple Q&A, I do find it kind of silly that people will go to those lengths to enjoy the game instead of fiddling with the options the game naturally presents (stages, items, special modes).

Then again, my favourite way to enjoy the game, with the tools available to me, is watching 4 CPUs in Minus with special modes Mega and Fast on, then only putting on chaotic items (explosives, triggers, summons), so I suppose mods just add another option.

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
Anyways, Smash4U is the future, maybe...
Actually, one of the "debates" I had with Chibo when we were setting up Smash4U was about this "brawl vs melee" segregation. He wanted to keep it up; have distinct and separated sections in the wiki, media library, calendar, chat etc... for each game.

Basically, so that if you went to the wiki looking for information, it would be: Wiki > Melee > Mario and Wiki > Brawl > Mario. I argued that this segregation was not healthy, and the community had a lot of growing up to do. If the organization of the community continued to promote the idea that melee players and brawl players should refuse to acknowledge each other, they will continue to do it.

In the end, Chibo agreed with me and we did: Wiki > Mario > Melee and Wiki > Mario > Brawl. This way every person who goes to the Mario Melee wiki page will be FORCED to see that a Mario Brawl wiki page exists. There are still tags discerning the differences between Melee and Brawl; but they are interspersed together and its up to the USER to separate them, rather than the organization in the first place.

My thought was that the "leaders" of the community shouldn't be promoting that kind of childish behavior.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No, I was referencing the fact that next Smash game will probably be Super Smash Bros U.

So...Smash 4 U...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Won't lie.
I play P:M because of the new characters and what they decide to do with them.

I probably wouldn't play it if Smash4 was out, just as I wouldn't have bought playstationallstars. It's fun for me, because its something new, and theres still alot of stuff that can be explored with what they did to the new characters.

While with Melee and brawl, it's kinda like...
We just found out so much there's not much left to explore.

It's just to hold me over til smash4 comes out.

This probably goes without saying, but Cario better be in it. :I

EDIT: Uhhh. Jaxel. That's like, almost completely irrelevant to what were talking about dude.
Although props for the soul calibur avatar.

The makers if SC are gonna have a big hand in the balancing of smash 4.
How do you think that will work out?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I agree with Jaxel and I see why he brought that up, it applies to what we were saying about arguing within the two factions. Good example of a small strife.

I downloaded P:M when I heard about it and thought it was pretty fun. Like you said, Sunny, I have fun playing with anything Smash related that's new. I just didn't find it amazing enough to stop playing Brawl or anything like that. Watched some friends play the all-stars battle royale game, too. I didn't like the mechanic for characters dying in that game, but the combat was interesting and the characters' moves are all very distinct and unique to who they are.

I can't wait for the next smash game to come out, personally. The only problem is that there's no way I'm gonna buy my own WiiU when i know that Smash 4 is the only game i'm gonna use it for lol.

Lucario is definitely not gonna be in the next game. There's a significantly greater chance that they bring Mewtwo back. I'll be shocked if Lucario returns.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I won't. It'll likely be Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark.

Trela

Smash Lord
No, I was referencing the fact that next Smash game will probably be Super Smash Bros U.

So...Smash 4 U...
Uhhh. Jaxel. That's like, almost completely irrelevant to what were talking about dude.
Although props for the soul calibur avatar.
Watch your tongue! You're speaking to Jaxel Stormcloak, the true High King owner of 8wayrun!

He's the reason why our streaming will be amazing at Apex!
Along with you too, Chibo!

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
8Wayrun?

Psssh that websites Aeons away from being good. I don't know Z.W.E.I people go to it.
Quite frankly i'm Sick-fried of that game anyways. The online is truly a Nightmare.

:3

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Watch your tongue! You're speaking to Jaxel Stormcloak, the true High King owner of 8wayrun!

He's the reason why our streaming will be amazing at Apex!
Along with you too, Chibo!
Don't you owe me your soul?

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I can't idle in the chat due to a "startup error,"namely that it can't load the interface, apparently.

As for the lack of consensus on Brawl's rules, bans, etc., I've heard a theory that I believe holds ground, that Brawl was developed to be significantly different than Melee, but virtually all of Brawl's tournament rules have been inherited from Melee's. It's pretty much the square-peg-in-a-round-hole concept, or like trying to fit me into the Lucario board.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
also **** Project M, game super sucks. Yesh make Lucario an air based comboist/stringer into some insult to Street Fighter Ryu knock off. Too bad low mid high doesn't always combo like that crap in SF most of the time, good god. What a ****ing joke. RT nailed it, they want Melee 2.0 and the game choices and design are terrible. Like, I respect people who like it and play it, I won't hate on them, but god, I hate this game more than any of the other Smash games. Might be the only thing I actually hate smash related, like legit hate, See I giving in here RT.

Brawl- is the only hack I like and that is because it is siilly, not compeditve super serious.

Brawl players moved on, Melee people on the boards are immature morons who can't grow up and hold a stupid grudge at people for a game they hate.

I suppport coexistence, not this segregated bull. /rant after drinks.

~

On the positive side, I bought the following from a megamedia exhange for $40.

CustomRobo - people tell me it is good, never played it.
Ratatouille - love the movie when I watched it because I love to cook.
Wayne's World - Old movie I remember, lost the VHS for it.
Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black pearl - My favorite of the four movies.
Moulin rouge - It's a musical, but very very wierd. Saw the Nostalgia Critic Review and I liked what I saw.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Glad to see you agree...after getting drunk.

Steam

Smash Hero
I'm okay with P:M. but they completely ruined lucario. they turned a fun, versatile character into a super boring, one dimensional, dial-a-combo bot. all they need to do is remove the on-hit cancel system and change a few other things and lucario would be so fun.

Steam

Smash Hero
Replace "character" with "game" and you pretty much have a summary of Project M as a whole.
I main ganon in project M and melee and they basically just straight buffed him from melee and gave him new technology. so I don't experience this with him.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I main ganon in project M and melee and they basically just straight buffed him from melee and gave him new technology. so I don't experience this with him.
Well of course they straight up buffed him from Melee! As far as I can tell, Project M was made because a portion of the Super Smash Bros. fanbase simply couldn't come to grips with the fact that HAL Laboratories wanted to make an entry in the Super Smash Bros. series that evolved the series past Melee, so they did everything in their power to "fix" the game like a 12-year-old fanfiction author would "fix" the plot of his favorite TV show because the show's creator wanted to introduce drama into the series.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Getting along is too shallow. I think we have to look at why we don't like each other. We both like Nintendo and video games, but obviously you want the game you like the most to be the most dominate. I don't support project:M because from what I read and discussed with people in the community is that generally they just try to make everything harder and more technical. There is nothing wrong with that if you like that type of thing, but I don't so I shy away from it.
Not necessarily. Agree-ing to dis-agree is a very common compromise used between two separate parties to solve a problem. In this case, melee-ers and brawlers may prefer one game but that doesn't mean they have to bash the other. I just mean, respect that players for their decision. I hate when someone comes along and says "The whole problem is that brawlers decide to play brawl; brawl is so trash it shouldn't even have a community." When it comes right down to it, our communities could just say "I may not enjoy your game but i respect your decision to play it. IMO not supporting a game (or rather it's community) because you don't like it leads to arguments which only further divide a community.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I will cosign to RT and RR. To hell with Project Melee and then some. It's super lame.
Ratatouille is amazing. :applejack:

Top Bottom