• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 3, 2014] Seibrik Pres: Tier Breakers- The Next Generation of Pros (Hollywood, Fl)

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Tier Breakers
The Next Generation of Pros
Season II

My name is Seibrik, and I would like to invite you all to a brand new format of competition. Tier Breakers is a team building round robin style competition that will focus on education and improvement.

Players of all skill levels will benefit whether it be from the classroom style lessons given at the beginning of each day, or the incredible amount of experience gained from round robin styled matches.

I invite all players to read on, as we work to create a format that will not only produce a strong foundation for the upcoming Smash 4, but open up the variation of who takes home the prize pot. Join us, as we attempt to break the tiers between players, and continue to create The Next Generation of Pros.

The When: (Every OTHER Sunday starting OCTOBER)

Tier Breakers will be starting the SECOND Sunday of October (10/13/13). Depending on the number of entrants, the last Sunday of the season will be as follows:
20-25 Entrants: 11/24/13
25-30 Entrants: 12/8/13
30-40 Entrants: 12/22/13
Remember we will be meeting every OTHER Sunday, so you can plan your weekends accordingly. That means one week on, one week off.

The What:
Step 1: Preliminary Round

On the first Sunday (10/13/13), we will be running a Preliminary round robin style singles tournament.
This part of the tournament is an ordinary round robin competition.
Participants will be evenly divided up into pools, and compete for seeding.

Step 2: Team Building

In Tier Breakers, we create teams of players. These teams might be more formally known as Crews.
Everyone who earned first seed in the Preliminary pools event is elected Team Captains!

Next, we begin a Drafting process.
All the captains will begin to draft remaining players based off their seed.
Starting with the lowest seeded captain, captains will take turns drafting the second seed players only.
Once no more second seeds are left, they will take turns (starting with a different captain) drafting third seed players only.
Finally, the same will be done for the remaining fourth seeds, and any remaining seeds after that, depending on the number of players in each pool.
What we will end up with is a number of teams (depending on number of participants) each with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seed player.
This means that each team will be generally balanced.

Step 3: The Season

The remaining Sundays of the month will be used to find out which team is the best overall.
We will accomplish this in the form of Round Robin styled matches. From this point on we will refer to a match between two teams as a “Series”.
This means when Team A plays against Team B, they will enter a Round Robin with each other.

In other words…
Every player on Team A will play a SET versus every player on Team B.
The team with the best record (most set wins) wins that "Series", and that team earns a “Victory.”
Also, every team will play versus every team.
The team with the best overall record (most “Victories”) at the end of the month wins the season.

The Where:

Tier Breakers will take place at Flippers Cinema inside the Flippers360 Xbox Room.

Flippers Cinema is located at:
7001 Taft Street
Hollywood, Fl 33024
If any additional information is needed please call Seibrik (David Silberberg) directly at 786-436-5990.

The Where: (cont.)
This event will take place at the Flippers360 room inside of Flippers Cinema!
I cannot stress this enough:
Flippers360 is unlike any LAN center you have ever been to.
It is a giant room (Two combined movie theaters to be exact) filled with about 100 Xbox360 setups, all equipped to either HD computer monitors or LCD tvs.
There are high powered gaming computers!
*Setups UPDATE*
I read all the feedback from the season 1 surveys, and I managed to convince the Flippers staff to purchase SIX component cables!
This means, assuming a few players bring their Wii's, we can have up to TEN setups!
This includes not one, but now TWO lag-less projector setups!
NONE, i repeat, NONE of the setups (including the projectors) lag.
For a short video demonstrating the room, follow the link below and scroll down.
For more info on the Flippers360 room, you can either contact me (via smashboards or facebook) or follow the link below.
Here are some more pics demonstrating SMASH at Flippers360!
Just some of the setups we have for Brawl!
Here is the projector setup for smash! This setup includes live streaming capabilities!
To follow Flippers360 on facebook, add them as a friend:https://www.facebook.com/FlippersGaming
Registration ends Sept. 29th!!
Come in to 360 Degrees of Brawl to register!
What's 360 Degrees of Brawl? Click HERE to find out!

Want to know how to register?
Step one is to join the Tier Breakers facebook group. Just search for Tier Breakers on facebook, or click HERE
Then, head back to the “Files” tab on the Facebook group, or click HERE, and download the "How to Register" and “Tier Breakers Registration Forms” documents.

Please post up and subscribe, and let me know if you have any questions at all about the new format.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
It would be utterly amazing if we could get someone to run something like this in Philly in the fall. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
It's a fantastic idea overall, but I see one glaring problem with it all.

It nearly requires every person from every team to be at every tournament all of the time or it puts their team at a disadvantage for that day.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
actually it doesnt

I was gona update the thread with info regarding alot of situations when i was more awake, but i don't want this getting out of hand right now.

So just really quickly...

in the event a team member is absent (one excused absense and after that the player will be DQ'd with no refund) then the following occurs:

Team A Vs Team B

Team A's Seed 2 is absent.

Everyone on Team A plays everyone on Team B as normal.

However, when counting the set wins to decide which team wins the "match", Team B's Seed 2 records are not counted.

This ensures a fair victor to be decided, as evenly seeded players records were counted.

Also, Team B's Seed 2 will still get to play his matches for the experience.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
When are you making a visit to florida?
At one point I will. I've met a lot of awesome people from Florida, and from what I've seen from the place in pictures and what my friends have told me, it's an awesome place. So I want to visit it at one point! I just don't know when.

Ereth

Murda Bidness
At one point I will. I've met a lot of awesome people from Florida, and from what I've seen from the place in pictures and what my friends have told me, it's an awesome place. So I want to visit it at one point! I just don't know when.
Well if you let us know I can host a tournament for you, I'm sure everyone would be there

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Well if you let us know I can host a tournament for you, I'm sure everyone would be there
Aww, thank you very much! I really appreciate your comment, :).

Zero I wanna play you!

Find me during my habitual stream sessions and ask to play me! in the chat! (www.twitch.tv/gonzalo_zero) I play viewers super often. Now, if Wi-Fi isn't your thing, and offline is, well, I'll be present at SKTAR2! So if you're going, find me and ask to play me! I'll gladly play you, ;).

DFEAR

Smash Hero
that feel when picked last in dodgeball. then there's the problem where a good player can throw and choose to be seed 4 making possible two seed 1 players can be on the same team

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
First of all, the seeding process won't take place in front of the participants. This gives the captains time for deliberation and consideration, and prevents that last picked feeling.

Second, I reserve the right to DQ any player who tampers with the seeding/bracket deliberately, just like we do in national tournies. All this requires is me paying close attention to the potentially seed one's matches in the preliminary round.

Third, let's say there's some crazy upsets and the predicted seed 1 gets third seed or something. This can be solved by making sure the lowest seed captain picks first. At that point there is no guarantee that there will be a team with 2 seed 1's. While I will not ever tell a captain who they should or shouldn't pick, should this type of situation occur I will make my very strong suggestion, for the sake of balance of the tourney, to pick the seed 1 when available.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
let me know if you have any questions regarding a direction to go in as far as character choice
I will although it's not so much about character choice but more about learning a brand new character since I've never really focused on any of the ones that can actually win more than one random game.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Mad props to you Seibrik for putting this on. If I had butt loads of free time I'd emulate this in my area. Maybe I will once SSB4 is actually out.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
This is absolutely phenomenal.

I would LOVE to see this done all across the US... I'd love to see it done now for Brawl & Melee and definitely when Smash 4 comes out.

Can't wait to see this play out :D.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
To use Ruuku's question as a jumping point for me coming into the conversation, I'll give an example, using Melee as my base. (BTW, this training thing isn't Brawl-exclusive, is it?) Say, up until now, I've always been a casual Smash player and I want to make the jump to competitive play. Most of my "experience" comes from going on the Smash Wiki and studying and attempting to put into practice different techniques I've read from the wiki against CPUs. My character, up until now, was super-low tier (Kirby.) To compensate, I start learning to use my secondaries more (Sheik and Dr. Mario) as well as picking up a character I've never used at all before learning about tiers (Jigglypuff.) I think this is what Ruuku is talking about: learning a character you've never used before because he's high tier and has a lot more of a chance of winning matches than the one you've used thus far, and then getting them up to the level you had your previous character at in terms of experience.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
this will actually be covered in my first lesson

but as a preview i guess

character choice all comes down to what your personal goals are

learn what your goals are when entering tournaments and I can then advise what the best character choice for you would be, based on which characters you generally like of course, i'm not gonna auto point you to fox/jiggs in melee or mk in brawl

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
First post updated!

Registration is now up!

Information on how to register and the Payout can be found on the bottom of the first post!

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
this is RIGHT up your alley then, bring any friends of yours that may be interested in getting better at smash!

Also, tomorrow night we're having a practice event at flippers for brawl where you can get to know some of the players in the area

the link is here http://smashboards.com/threads/flip...de-nosleep-may-30th-2013-hollywood-fl.335265/

and sunday is a $5 singles and doubles tourney also at flippers

the link to that is here
http://smashboards.com/threads/seib...-of-brawl-june-23rd-2013-hollywood-fl.336455/

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Guys just a quick update: due to some issues I've been hearing alot of people, I've decided to tweek the schedule a little bit.

Instead of Tier Breakers taking place in July only every Sunday, instead it will be starting the 2nd Sunday in July and take place every other week until the end of August.

This means the first day will now be on Sunday July 14th!

Second day will be on July 28th

Third will be on August 11th

And the last day will be on August 25th!

It's a little bit more spread out to make it a little easier to plan ahead and make it to all the days so I look forward to seeing everyone come in a sign up soon!

Registration is still scheduled to end on June 30th!

The schedule on the Info Packet will be updated online shortly. If you want to come in and register before it is officially updated you can and I will give you an updated schedule in person!

also, i updated the "how to register section" in the original post to make it easier for everyone!

Master Raven

Smash Master
If you're going to join Tier Breakers then you're going to have to come every other Sunday from July-August. You're in Orlando so that might be inconvenient.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
melee will not be played at tier breakers in the event, however if u bring a setup we can hook you up onto a tv to play friendlies on whenever, but the best day to come for melee is monday nights at 8pm

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
there are two dollar tournaments and any experience can be "educational"

if ur asking me if it is setup like tier breakers, no, it will just be a normal double elimination bracket

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
I'm not signed up but I'd like to come and play. Could I just pay door fee and wristband or is this venue available only for the event?

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
you can definately come and show your support/watch evo/play if u buy the wrist band

just understand that tournament matches take priority over friendlies

Top Bottom