• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Gamers: Stop Calling Yourselves Hardcore

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, unlike what seems to be the popular opinion of this thread, I absolutely disagree. To myself and others I want to be, in regards to video games, referred to as hardcore. It is a definition of who you are and your attitude.

Literally it may mean something else, but can you seriously take this that literally? When someone calls you a ***got do you laugh because they called you a "bunch of sticks" or when they call you a ***** do you triumphantly express that you are no female dog. No, and if you do, you're probably gonna be made fun of for being so stupid. It's slang.

Being a hardcore gamer is slang. It is someone who devotes more into games than just a hobby. Be it professionally playing for money at tournaments, or devoting countless upon countless hours to videogames, and getting every single item possible, maxing out your level, and all your items in an RPG.

It is an attitude, and a respectful one to some. One of those people happen to be me. I work hard for that title. Games aren't just a hobby for me. Their influences just as much shaped who I am as the house I grew up in and the people around me. I'm not just a "gamer," but a hardcore one. As a matter of fact, I don't even refer to people who play games as "gamers." That's just me. To me the word gamer has implied meaning of devotion to games and not just one type. If all you play is Madden and Grand Theft Auto, you aren't a gamer.

Not too long ago a friend of mine commented that he was upset that he was the, "only hardcore gamer I know these days," in response to my obsession with Brawl. This infuriated me.

So, my point is do not take this so literally, and if you don't want to be called a hardcore gamer, then tell people not to call you it, but don't speak for the entire God ****ed public of gamers when you do. If you don't want to be called a ******, but an African-American, fine. If you want to be called a beaner and not a Mexican, I don't give a ****. But you should NOT speak for every single person that fits that category. It is your personal preference as much as anyone elses.

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
Not completely on topic but, the genre of music 'Hardcore' is not named that because of it's difficulity to listen to, some of it is very easy to listen to and can be very pleasant, up lifting and harmonised :p.

Completely agree with Kash, people are taking a word far too seriously, words are having more meaning to them especcially when it comes to gaming and slang generally.
Hardcore could mean someone is just playing the game alot but it could also mean that someone thinks they are good at it.
For instance, i'd call myself a hardcore smoker not because i'm good at it but because i do it alot.

GuephRen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Guephren
Hardcore, isn't that a little too... extreme? I mean, I thought that term was only used for those that took things to the extreme, but to the extreme being really wild. Like throwing yourself out of an airplane to the sea with not parachute -though that could end tragically.
It also puts the one being called that in a state of mind that is not comfortable. He/She may think: Do I really play too much? Should I lower it a bit, or should I continue the way I like it?. All of that could really affect them.
And what if they like to play a lot and be really good at it? Isn't it their right to do as they please (as long as they don't affect anybody)? Hardcore doesn't sound good, maybe 'dedicated player' or 'profesional gamer'.
How about only 'gamer'?

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
Hardcore gamers are players who play the game too much, with too much skill earned, with too much time to play the game, and has too much experience to the point that they wouldn't complain if they lost, as long as they could rematch, even if they loose again. They like having fun, and want to continue having fun. I'm a hardcore gamer myself, so I would know.

Having a new word to describe would be a good idea if it wasn't so, new. Games seems like they reached their limit so making a new word would seem a little pointless to me...like this is the generation of gaming and there is nothing else afterwards. Melee made me think of this and my "if I had any expectations left" would be kind of dead if I had any.

MaJiK

Smash Ace
You know, I have RARELY seen anyone consider themselves a "hardcore" gamer especially nintendo fans. However, the use of competitive or amazing gamer comes across a lot more often. The word Hardcore only seems to be used by 8-13 year olds on the internet or mmorpgs. I think they are the people giving us a bad rap and its those people who need to be addressed not us nescassarily.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
Hardcore gamers must be players who own a hardcore game and become hardcore from it. You could be hardcore before playing any game, but you can only find out after playing it. RPG games aren't really good to be used to describe hardcore gamers unless it takes great skill. Hardcore = Epic Gamer player.

The last sentence is the best way to describe them.

Hardcore games:
Halo (any veteran of the series)
Call of Duty 4 (most likely)
Gears of War
2D Street Fighter
2D Mortal Kombat
Super Smash Bros. (Skilled veteran of any series)

Requirnments to be a Hardcore gamer or game:
Any other games that take great skill, that would consider a person a pro to be recond with in that game. Must be competitive game. Likely any great skill M rated shooter. Very popular game as well.

Though there are lots more, This is all I will say being somewhat hard to discribe.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
What I think is that most people think "hardcore" means you eat, drink, and own at the specific game or event.

Erucolindo86

Smash Rookie
When I define myself to people who do not play games, I define myself as an "Academic Gamer" I would reserve the title "Hardcore" to people who truly specialize in one game but have no vested interest in the gaming community. How many Halo lackeys do you know who are very skilled, but would have no idea where to begin even pronouncing Shin Megami Tensei? I like to think that we, as people who are actively engaged in the over-arching gaming community, appreciate, analyze, critique, and discuss our medium with just as much fervor and seriousness as someone who studies a more culturally relevant topic (ie. Politics, Literature, Film, ect.).
If the video game industry wants to grow as a cultural medium our appellation should probably be a designation that carries with it a sense of legitimacy, which is why I came up with the term academic. The Jack Thompsons and Hilary Clintons of the world who see games through such a stigmatized lens do not even begin to realize the depth and scope of our industry, and would laugh at such a title. Yet, until we as a community begin to portray ourselves with respect neither will mass-culture. Hardcore is certainly a nice designator for some, but it is hardly a fitting term for those of us who truly STUDY the nature of games.

Geist

Smash Master
If someone adresses me as a hardcore gamer, I won't correct them.
I won't ever refer to myself as hardcore though. It isn't exactly the greatest image to have, alot of steriotypes revolve around the more serious side of gamers. meh.

I hope. If someone plays a game long enough for it to be "dangerous" they've got some seroius issuses
Sig material right there.

Truesight

Smash Rookie
go nintendo! if u wanna be hardcore go to playstation
chill guys
hardcore gamer= fat guy in mothers basement

Unknown17

Smash Ace
I guess we can call our selves that if u don't like hardcore...it does seem uncontable...well a game is a game...but a good game is a great game like brawl *smiles*...

Evil Overlord

Smash Rookie
Donkey Kong is strong but his slow. Buy the time you land an attack you will have about 50% damage, if you play with some one average such as ike or samus.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, I think we should be using the term hardcore. It separates those who just play every once and a while (and for fun) while others, like my friends and I in smash, play competitively and to deepen ourselves into the game.

I think it defines a person. Our game choice does not dictate us hardcore or casual, but by the way we play and the degree of seriousness. I take Smash seriously most of the time. It's competition. Something like Twilight Princess, that's for fun.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario - casual gaming

Going to multiple smash tournaments, practicing every day and trying to understand every single aspect of the game - pretty hardcore, or just really f***ing obsessed, but i prefer hardcore

d34thiseternal

Smash Rookie
A title is a title, regardless of who says it. If you are labeled "Hardcore" go with it. Everyone has their favorite title, some like "Hardcore," others like "Academic," and others just prefer "Gamer," Although, in the terms academic and hardcore, the criteria is the same, I believe the cliche I'm looking for is, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Let people call you what they will, in the end, you will kick their *** three ways to Sunday.

L__

Smash Master
Super Mario - casual gaming

Going to multiple smash tournaments, practicing every day and trying to understand every single aspect of the game - pretty hardcore, or just really f***ing obsessed, but i prefer hardcore
I apologize in advance but I'm pretty **** sure that there were advanced techs for Super Mario Kart games before Mario Kart Wii came in like Brawl did and attempted to even the playing field for casual gamers and competitive gamers alike.

I apologize for being off topic ----

Now,

Scavenger382 said:
They’re just gamers. Casual gamers, gamers, and hardcore gamers. Simple as that.
I apologize but you forgot the competitive; which should go between gamers and hardcore.

In all honesty I would like to point out that although being called a "Hardcore Gamer" or an "Intense Gamer" has caught on around my school and I have been called that just because I caught onto the advanced techs somewhat fast if I do say so myself. A couple months after i found Smash and was addicted, I bought a Gamecube; with the intent to become this "Hardcore Gamer" that everyone was describing me as. At long last, I started training intently and realized, what is a hardcore gamer nowadays? From the point of view of a casual gamer, it's one who dedicates his life to a specific game for long periods of time. For example we can take my friend who knows the matchups for Fox/Marth/Peach to be healthy for him. He would be hardcore in the casual eye just by seeing his immense speed in a fox ditto, but to the Pros today he would be another average smasher. [Although I'd like to point out that he's only in 8th grade and held his own against Zhu, SS, and Falcomist at a tournament in San Mateo over at Naota's house.

ARGH, DIGRESSION!!

Alright back to the subject, for one being called hardcore depends on if its the casual eye or the professional eye; meaning the knowledge of one knowing how far that person has actually gone to become "Hardcore".

If I was wrong in any way please notify me in an orderly manner instead of starting a flame war.

- Light

Jamie0003

Smash Cadet
'Hi i'm Jamie and i'm a gamer.' That's all that really needs to be said....

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
On topic: I don't mind being called "hardcore". I don't mind being called "competitive". Either one i'm fine with, as a matter of fact I consider it almost an honor to be called that.

Off topic: I must be the only one who didn't understand the starcraft video in the first post. *has never played it*

Top Bottom