• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attempting a "9" ?

0oolatinopoweroo0

Smash Rookie
So I'm just wondering whats the best way to approach a "9" with G&W or try to attempt one?

I usually down grab and then while their on the ground I try it but I want to know how you guys attempt yours.

Oh and I'd like to know the probability of getting one since I've seen vid's of people getting it on the first try and all :)

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
whenever I'm a stock ahead, I like to do it in the air or make an aerial approach with it because, for me, it's easier this way

Lotsa_Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
do what Hylian taught me. Try doing the hammer at the top of up-b, that way you'll fast fall it and at certain percentages it can be an awsome combo. Up-B>9 Hammer. Give it a shot.

Neb

Smash Lord
Or, I occasionally do this if I see it ahead of time.
But try, dair spike-> hitstun -> Judge.

At low percentages. Utilt->Judge

GiNO The KiDD

Smash Cadet
Well the best way to do it is midgame of course.Trick your oppenent into coming in to you for a grab,then punish with the hammers.But becareful because it can be risky.You can also the some of the same techniques you would with with the oil panic, for instance, a taunt to make your oppenent come in then hammer them,

0oolatinopoweroo0

Smash Rookie
I'll try these out on my lil brother thanks guys =)
He has a pretty spammy ROB so i just want to kill him in the funniest way possible XD

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Lol, my brother is the exact same thing, a spamming ROB, lol...

My most effective way to get a 9 is to jump backwards at them a few times using the turtle Bair. Then once they get used to dodging it at the same pace, jump back at them and use Judgement. It is slow enough so they will be coming out of their dodge right as it hits them.

Well, I guess that's the most effective way I land the Judgement. You just have to HOPE its a "9"...

Mike87

Smash Ace
****, I am the little brother^
although it doent matter when you're 20

Anyway I thought the
"9" is always random.

bebar

Smash Cadet
Ive been trying that up b -> judge, i really like it. Its hard for your opponent to punish it also, if you miss.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
So I'm just wondering whats the best way to approach a "9" with G&W or try to attempt one?

I usually down grab and then while their on the ground I try it but I want to know how you guys attempt yours.

Oh and I'd like to know the probability of getting one since I've seen vid's of people getting it on the first try and all :)
Well, d-throws to a tech chase usually works for me. Other than that, If they're close and open for a hammer, why not?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My favorite way to pull out Judgement is either with a B-boost (hard) or a B reversal (even harder).

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
My favorite way to pull out Judgement is either with a B-boost (hard) or a B reversal (even harder).
What are these?

ALSO: Not accounting for the patterns, and allowing for the 32 damage that the 9 does, the hammer does an average of 11 damage (though the highest damage without the 9 would be 12, and the 8 avg.ed together without the 9 is 8.375, which seems more accurate.)

Anyway, call me a naysayer, but I still think the judgement is way too slow and way too luck based (The possibility of getting anything really favorable (the ice or OHKO, the food can easily be eaten by your opponent) is only 22.2%.) (Thanks, microsoft calculator :p)

Let's point each one out individually (Directly from the Dojo):
* Attack strength: 2%. An attack that won’t even cause your opponent to flinch.
* Attack strength: 4%. A weak attack without any special characteristics.
* Attack strength: 6%. An attack with a beam sound that pierces defenses.
* Attack strength: 8%. A slashing attack that launches opponents diagonally.
* Attack strength: 4%x3. Three electrical charges zap the opponent.
* Attack strength: 12%. A flame attack. Watch out if you’re near an explosive crate.
* Attack strength: 14%. A food item will also appear in honor of the lucky #7.
* Attack strength: 9%. An attack that freezes foes. Take advantage of the opening to attack again.
* Attack strength: 32%. A massive attack. The opponent will be launched as if hit with the Home-run Bat!
1 and 2 are useless (and 1 gives you 12 damage, WTF?) 3 will likely get you sheildgrabbed if you try to use it (if you try to rely on that 11% chance...) 4 is weak, and the risk > the reward, 5 spikes apparently, but why rely on that 11% chance when you can Fair, Bair, or Nair?* 6 is ok, but once again, why do this when you can easily do a smash attack which hits harder and has a 100% chance of coming out instead of 11%? 7 does 14 damage, but the opponent can easily eat the food, and having to go for the food yourself (you usually won't be prepared for it to appear) will make you vulnerable, 8 is great, but it can be broken out of quickly if your opponent knows how to rotate their control stick, and 9 is amazing, but doesn't kill at 0%, only appears 11% of the time, and leaves you very vulnerable if you don't get it. Also, isn't it agonizing when you miss with a 9?

NOTE: Even if you do the two buffer hammers after the 9 (which leave you very vulnerable,) the chance of getting a 9 only jumps up to 14%.

*I don't know if it's 5 or 6 that spikes

Sorry about the massive tl;dr.

Tl;dr: The hammer isn't worth it. Sorry if I came off mean or anything.

cutter

Smash Champion
Just to let you guys know, a 2 has a good chance of tripping your foe. It is far from "useless". But yeah it's a bit sucky.

This might sound like something to be tested, but will you have greater probability of getting a 9 if you're behind in the match? It works with Lucario's Aura, and I'm curious to see if it affects Judgment.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Trying a 9 is pretty much pointless unless your down a life and at a high perecentage. Other than that, it's not worth the risk of being countered; also you can land smash everytime with guaranteed high damage. I usually don't even use Judgement unless I'm ******* around with friends. Just my 2 cents.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
One good way to get a 9 is a jab followed by Judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdyC2jYyXs

One good way to get a 9 is a jab followed by Judge. 1:30, 2:31, and 2:55 are the perfect examples of that.

and using Judge isn't just a great way to catch up if you're behind in stock/trying to finish off your opponents last stock. It's also a great way to follow up on combos/smash attacks, or even (dare i say it) defensively. 1:40, 3:16, 3:39, and 3:53 show some of the ways Judge can still be useful even if it isn't a 9.

I don't recommend completely relying on Judge during competitive matches, but remember what Judge was meant to be for G&W: It was meant to be his "Trump Card" that can turn the tide in battle. So it's not useless by ANY means (unless it's a 1..then you're just screwed. LOL)

Neb

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool. I knew Judge worked swell out of dsmash tech-chase, though jab follow-up? I remember contemplating its use because it could be evaded through DI. And agreeing, although a gamble, Judgment has not really been used in the G&W metagame, I believe it has a lot of capabilities that should really start to be worked on/taken seriously, instead of totally brushing it off, I mean even utilt has uses.

Top Bottom