• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North Melee Circuit - Third Event TBD...

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think you guys should adopt a BCS type system, set up a variety of 1v1 "bowl games" via some mysterious combination of human polls and computers, and use the prize money to pay out the winners of each (what amounts to be) money match

R3N0

Smash Lord
yeah.. that one caught me for the longest time but i definitely switched it b/c i use it so much.

JFox

Smash Hero
tl:dr, sorry I'm bored in class

Ok, so I think I'm gonna post all possible options for the final event, and then post the positive points and negative points for each one. The is basically a summary of the last few pages worth of argument.

A) Chibo's plan: The final tournament will be a 2 day event, with a normal tournament where you gain points on day 1, and the final 32 man bracket made up of players who have gained points throughout the season on day 2.

B) JFox's idea: Make an amateur bracket on day 1, allowing a certain amount of people that don't have points to still enter into the final bracket day 2 if they do well enough in the amateur bracket.

C) Kansas' idea: Make an Event 52 happen here in the tristate area. Basically raise money by taking a small amount of money out of the pot from bi-weeklies and mid-scale tournaments. Then once you have raised a large amount of money, you guarantee a certain amount of money in prizes in order to bring players from OOS because of the potential amount of money they can win. Money raised would have to be something between $500-$1000. (So far, after one ANMC event, we have $115)

A) Positive: Definitely the most fair of all. Players that made the effort to gain points will be the only one's making it into the final bracket. Also, each individual ANMC event is more hyped up because person want to win points, creating larger tournaments throughout the season.

Negatives: The final bracket on day 2 will be limited to a small amount of people. A lot of people wouldn't stay for day 2 because they won't be involved. Futhermore, many people in general who didn't have a chance (including a lot of OOS'ers) wouldn't be interested in coming to either day because the main attraction of this tournament would be day 2. Day 1 would essentially be a normal tournament with a very average pot size. It is also likely that the say people that place high on day 1 will be the exact same people playing on day 2, essentially doing 2 singles events at one tournament with the exact same people in each one.

B) Positive: Would potentially allow a greater number of people to achieve making the final bracket day 2, regardless of points. This wouldn't limit the amount of OOS players without points AS MUCH as idea A. Also allows each individual ANMC event is more hyped up because person want to win points, creating larger tournaments throughout the season.

Negatives: Does water down the point system a bit by still allowing people to get in through an amateur bracket. Is theoretically less fair than a system based on 100% points.

C) Positive: This would be the most attractive kind of tournament for people to attend across the board, regardless of where the live, or what past events they had entered. This would be a normal tournament, having no bias to past skill levels etc. It is also the most conventional tournament that everyone is used to. It realistically will draw the most amount of people of all.

Negatives: Without a point system, there is no potential hype for tournaments besides the end goal. This makes it harder to raise the money necessary. It also will take a long time to get together enough money to create this sort of a tournament. It is also unfair to people since we have already started the ANMC and people are already awarded points.

All of these ideas have their drawbacks. B seems to be a nice balance, and seems to be the most heavily supported from people that have been posting in this thread. Me personally, I really like C. I know Chibo is really big on A.

People should chime in and give feedback.

Alukard

Smash Hero
All of these ideas have their drawbacks. B seems to be a nice balance, and seems to be the most heavily supported from people that have been posting in this thread. Me personally, I really like C. I know Chibo is really big on A.

People should chime in and give feedback.
... i like C ...

well because the tournament with points is going to consist of the same freaking people ... thats sooo lame .... i dont kno about u guys ... but i'm getting tired of plaiyng the same people ... i'm obviously staying at 5th place ... and dont dare tell me to step it up ... because **** ... theres only so much a poor samus can do LOL <3

pockyD

Smash Legend
MLG did it (something B-like)

i think it was pretty well-received. if you're worried about watering down the importance of points, then restrict the number of people advancing out of your "amateur" qualifiers

really, taking 6-2 or 7-1 isn't that bad at all

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
MLG did it (something B-like)

i think it was pretty well-received. if you're worried about watering down the importance of points, then restrict the number of people advancing out of your "amateur" qualifiers

really, taking 6-2 or 7-1 isn't that bad at all
the draw to OOSers is way less if you're accepting only 4 out of brackets into a 16 man bracket.

pockyD

Smash Legend
why is that?

keeping in mind that your "qualifier" bracket won't include mew2king or any of the other "local" heavy hitters because they are already qualified via points

JFox

Smash Hero
the simple fact that only 4 people can advance is still a statement in itself. mid level OOS players wouldn't care to join something like that

pockyD

Smash Legend
why not? "mid level OOS players" wouldn't expect to get higher than 17th place anyways, which would be the same outcome as not advancing

IMO it's just a misconception that not making it out of the "amateur" bracket is a big deal and a heavy knock on the player. It's really no worse than, say, not making it out of the 3rd round of pools in a tiered pool system, or even going 2-2 in a 64-man bracket

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
why is that?

keeping in mind that your "qualifier" bracket won't include mew2king or any of the other "local" heavy hitters because they are already qualified via points
because there aren't really 12 "local heavy hitters." After M2K, JMan and Cactus, there's a pretty big skill drop off and it's going to feel stupid to have Chu, Azen, PC, Cort, Shiz, etc etc etc all battling off for 4 spots when GOTM already irked in at 12th on the point chart by getting 9th at a bunch of local tournies. I imagine you would get some people from MD/VA and New England, but the draw for a West Coaster or Mid Wester or FL or Canada would be pretty low.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
why not? "mid level OOS players" wouldn't expect to get higher than 17th place anyways, which would be the same outcome as not advancing

IMO it's just a misconception that not making it out of the "amateur" bracket is a big deal and a heavy knock on the player. It's really no worse than, say, not making it out of the 3rd round of pools in a tiered pool system, or even going 2-2 in a 64-man bracket
For the record I agree with you about how little a difference it would make on the end outcome, but that doesn't change the fact that it would affect the way people felt about it.

R3N0

Smash Lord
I would be in the brackets.. get @ me for consistent 5th =p

Top Bottom