• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he's going to be a playable character, as cool as that would be. I personally think the only chance he has is as a Mii costume.
Even a Mii is pretty iffy though imo. I don't see them releasing two separate Bethesda Miis back to back when they could've just released them together. Smash doesn't always make sense though so who knows. I still think a first party character is the most likely, but there have been a million characters that I thought were likely and didn't make it in...so I honestly have no clue who it's gonna be. At this point I just hope it's someone exciting.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Even a Mii is pretty iffy though imo. I don't see them releasing two separate Bethesda Miis back to back when they could've just released them together. Smash doesn't always make sense though so who knows. I still think a first party character is the most likely, but there have been a million characters that I thought were likely and didn't make it in...so I honestly have no clue who it's gonna be. At this point I just hope it's someone exciting.
I'm just saying that a Mii costume is more likely than a playable character. Like you said, you never know with these reveals.

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
so hows our chances looking for tuesday
As equally likely and unlikely as ever, I feel. Doomguy just seems to perpetually exist in that limbo state of "iconic forefather of one of videogames' biggest genres with tons of Nintendo history and Smash potential" and "age ratings risk not popular enough (primarily overseas) to get even a Spirit event".

Though I'm also of the opinion that Doomguy is likeliest to be a Mii costume - if anything - at this point, unfortunately. Even though I think they could easily overcome the age ratings issues and still represent the series extremely well, the latter part of his limbo state just seems too strong for the former to overcome. I'd love to be wrong, of course!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There was a screenshot going around about the Bethesda copyright showing up at the Nintendo DLC page for Challenger Pack 11. That one turned out to be fake in the end.
Incidentally, I was thinking earlier "given how much lengths fake leakers go through for attention, I wouldn't be shocked if this was faked somehow too", and sure enough it is.

It's a free for all for whoever is closest to the truth now. I can still get to see it blind, yasss.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I think we might find out if it's Doom (or any number of franchises) depending on how the stream is set up.
If it starts with a E10+ to M rating then it'll be a good sign for Doomguy, otherwise Sakuari will have to leave out his usual gaming history channel bit.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I think the chances of no Doom Mii costume on Tuesday is pretty high, who knows when those Bethesda Mii costumes were decided upon, we can guess from Pete Hine's Metro interview it wasn't later than 2018. Nonetheless the character surely will be shortlisted for consideration in a future title, whenever that may be and provided Nintendo/MS/Bethesda are cooperative.

On the other hand if the character itself actually is Doomguy I will deny that I ever doubted it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Doomguy Mii costume. I know that there just was a Bethesda character costume last time but there were two Capcom ones back-to-back (Arthur and Dante), so it's not unlikely that that could be the case here too.

VENA SERA 33

Smash Rookie
Doomguy/Slayer and Master Chief are my two most wanted for this final challenger pack. If MC is the character, I could see the Slayer as a Mii costume(possibly deluxe). Both FPS' are near and dear to me so having either represented would be awesome, especially since the FPS genre is a glaring omission in Ultimate and the series so far. Bring on the presentation!

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely better than nothing and I have a feeling fan requests got it in there at the last minute which to me may be a good sign for the future. The Cyberdemon+FPS reference was neat and he got a cool shout-out at least. I would have preferred a classic Doomguy skin but at least it looks good.

The actual character himself is definitely a crowd pleaser though I don't personally care about Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am definitely buying the costume.

Not trying to be too mean but I gave up on most Western IP awhile back. Nintendo has a reputation for begrudgingly acknowledging anything outside of Japan while rolling over everything made in Japan.

It goes back to SNES era when Miyamoto had difficulty even acknowledging Donkey Kong Country was on par, if not better than, Super Mario World. He warmed up to the DKC franchise later on but was never wild about it.

It was like pulling hairs to even get characters like Banjo, K Rool, and Ridley into the game. If Sakurai wasn't such a big fan of Minecraft and it wasn't so high on global popularity (even in Japan), I doubt Steve would have been in the game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This'll be the first day 1 Mii costume buy for me, which I'll get along with some others I didn't get around to earlier like Shantae in one fell swoop.

Since this is the best Doom is likely ever gonna get in Smash (most who get Mii costumed stay that way as history has shown), think I can just happily retire from Smash speculation at this point, other than hoping Ridley doesn't get cut next game or something. It's been a fun ride, but gotta get off sometime. It's been an honor serving/slaying with you all, and glad we still got a little something out of it in the end with our push in support.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
This'll be the first day 1 Mii costume buy for me, which I'll get along with some others I didn't get around to earlier like Shantae in one fell swoop.

Since this is the best Doom is likely ever gonna get in Smash (most who get Mii costumed stay that way as history has shown), think I can just happily retire from Smash speculation at this point, other than hoping Ridley doesn't get cut next game or something. It's been a fun ride, but gotta get off sometime. It's been an honor serving/slaying with you all, and glad we still got a little something out of it in the end with our push in support.
This is the best any western shooter ever gonna get.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, I'd rather him be a fighter, but it's better than nothing I guess. It looks pretty good at the very least.

I don't know when the next game happens, but hopefully the people that wanted the Slayer in this game will still be supporting him next time around.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
Well, I'd rather him be a fighter, but it's better than nothing I guess. It looks pretty good at the very least.

I don't know when the next game happens, but hopefully the people that wanted the Slayer in this game will still be supporting him next time around.
Of course, time to start the Doomguy will make it into smash 6 hype train.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

This is the best any western shooter ever gonna get.
I was going to go the same route as Geassguy's line of thinking, but those two messages have just dashed any hopes and dreams I may have had against very unforgiving rocks.

Thanks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

It seems a bit much to assume that anyone who's a Mii costume will stay that way for all future games - you're basing that on a sample size of one game. (since Ultimate was the first time that we had Mii costumes returning from a previous game)

Some characters, like Dante and Shantae, were stated to be popular choices who couldn't make it in because the DLC line-up was decided two years ago or more. For all we know, Doomguy's in the same boat.

EDIT: Also, K. Rool, Isabelle, and Chrom were promoted to playable - they're all first party, but it shows that being a Mii costumes doesn't mean that a character has to stay that way

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm so glad he at least got that. Mii costume is the second best thing for him. Doom definitely should be represented in Smash.

To be honest, I was more excited for that than Sora. Not that I hate Sora or anything but Doom Slayer is borderline one of my MW, so getting that makes me really happy.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm so glad he at least got that. Mii costume is the second best thing for him. Doom definitely should be represented in Smash.

To be honest, I was more excited for that than Sora. Not that I hate Sora or anything but Doom Slayer is borderline one of my MW, so getting that makes me really happy.
I agree. I was hoping for Doom guy, Crash, Masterchief, Ryu Hayabusa, or Rayman first but Sora is definitely the most popular character out there and made the most sense.

I do think we got a ton of Sony JRPG IP (granted most of that seems to be moving to Nintendo). I don't fault Sora for that. I wasn't a fan of some of the past picks, notably some of the Fighter pass 1 picks.

Glad to get Sora. Smash ended on a HUGE note for once!!! Thank you to Smash team for a great game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It seems a bit much to assume that anyone who's a Mii costume will stay that way for all future games - you're basing that on a sample size of one game. (since Ultimate was the first time that we had Mii costumes returning from a previous game)

Some characters, like Dante and Shantae, were stated to be popular choices who couldn't make it in because the DLC line-up was decided two years ago or more. For all we know, Doomguy's in the same boat.
That's fair, but I won't be beating around the bush far as that. If they ever become full fledged characters, great, but it's also possible they'll remain Mii's.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I agree. I was hoping for Doom guy, Crash, Masterchief, Ryu Hayabusa, or Rayman first but Sora is definitely the most popular character out there and made the most sense.

I do think we got a ton of Sony JRPG IP (granted most of that seems to be moving to Nintendo). I don't fault Sora for that. I wasn't a fan of some of the past picks, notably some of the Fighter pass 1 picks.

Glad to get Sora. Smash ended on a HUGE note for once!!! Thank you to Smash team for a great game.
Yeah but to be honest, I'm still disappointed at the lack of Ryu Hayabusa. He was my last MW who I thought still had a chance and unlike Doom Slayer, he didn't even get a Mii costume or anything. The lack of any kind of Koei Tecmo character is strange and I think somebody should question either Nintendo or Koei Tecmo about it.

Last edited:

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
I honestly wanted the OG Doomguy if they were gonna make him a mii, but I am happy Doom is in the game at the end.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but to be honest, I'm still disappointed at the lack of Ryu Hayabusa. He was my last MW who I thought still had a chance and unlike Doom Slayer, he didn't even get a Mii costume or anything. The lack of any kind of Koei Tecmo character is strange and I think somebody should question either Nintendo or Koei Tecmo about it.
Right??? It's so confusing considering how much they've worked together.
Shame that none of the Mii costumes came with music this time around. At Doom's Gate or BFG Division would have been great to include with the Doomguy Mii.
I expected as much but it is a shame. E1M1, Rip and Tear, BFG, Only Thing. Any would've been perfect.

Since the Skyrim costume this is all I expected (though I thought it'd happen with Chief) so I'm happy he's in in some form at all! Here's hoping that an FPS rep will finally be playable in the future.

Last edited:

Nartic

Smash Cadet
It would have been nice if the E1M1 was included... But his costume looks great. I will buy this.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Months of this tweet (among similar others) stinking up my bookmarks have finally paid off.

I replied as appropriately as needed.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I figured the last character was going to be a JRPG boy. Not super happy right now but weirdly not that upset either. (Kinda like how I feel playing Kingdom Hearts :4pacman: )

Man between this Sans, Travis, and Bomberman, I've liked the Mii fighters more then most of the DLC characters. Lol

Top Bottom