• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Doom Eternal discussion has started for QuakeCon. I'm hoping we get an announcement for the Switch version's release date, since it's been out on other consoles for over four months and we've heard that the release date will be announced "soon" about a month ago.

EDIT: They seem to be wrapping up, without even a single mention of the Switch port. If not for the interview comment about a release date being announced "soon", I would have assumed that the Switch version was quietly cancelled.

EDIT: they did have a question about the Nintendo Switch version at the very end. They said "we are really, really close", and that we are getting Doom Eternal, but they can't specifically say a date now.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I'd personally want it to be Andrew Hulshult. That guy's made some killer Doom remixes, and I think he made a few tracks in Quake Champions afaik.
I really like Hulshult's stuff, but I'm not sure he has the exact sauce that Mick brings to the soundtrack in terms of the overall aesthetic of the sound. Wouldn't mind him trying though!

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
EDIT: they did have a question about the Nintendo Switch version at the very end. They said "we are really, really close", and that we are getting Doom Eternal, but they can't specifically say a date now.
The more the Switch version of DOOM Eternal's release date eludes us, the more I feel that they're holding off on that to tie-in to DOOM Slayer's reveal as a DLC fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Dunno, it just feels suspicious that it hasn't been announced yet (when the other versions launched quite a few months ago).

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

I didn't need to think of the potential of fighting an Archvile and Summoner at the same time, but here we are.
Speaking of which:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The Doom Eternal discussion has started for QuakeCon. I'm hoping we get an announcement for the Switch version's release date, since it's been out on other consoles for over four months and we've heard that the release date will be announced "soon" about a month ago.

EDIT: They seem to be wrapping up, without even a single mention of the Switch port. If not for the interview comment about a release date being announced "soon", I would have assumed that the Switch version was quietly cancelled.

Yeah they are definitely saving it for an upcoming Direct. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason for that is because of Nintendo themed exclusive content. There’s probably going to be a Animal Crossing or Metroid themed costume or something.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they are definitely saving it for an upcoming Direct. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason for that is because of Nintendo themed exclusive content. There’s probably going to be an Animal Crossing or Metroid themed costume or something.
Either that or the much-clamoured Doom 64 Slayer outfit (given Nintendo 64 and all that).

And as much as it is wishful thinking, a coinciding announcement with the Doom Slayer as fighter 77/78 (the latter assuming we get a double reveal) would be just swell.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
The more the Switch version of DOOM Eternal's release date eludes us, the more I feel that they're holding off on that to tie-in to DOOM Slayer's reveal as a DLC fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Dunno, it just feels suspicious that it hasn't been announced yet (when the other versions launched quite a few months ago).
Why would they hold back a release that could have big financial and marketing implications for a crossover? That doesn't make sense - the likely and safer possibility is that they had issues with porting it and are uncertain when due to the coronovirus.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
If i'm not wrong, the new expansion seems to be about saving Urdak and the universe as a whole.
I heard we'd also get explanations of what happened between 2016 and Eternal (In the form of a comic in the codex i guess?) and we confront Hayden.
I wonder how the Summoner will work when the Archvile in Eternal sort of replaced the Summoner and Summoners in general are like a "tech friendly" alternative to the classic Doom Archviles.
A comment i saw from Doomworld suggested that perhaps the ghost like Summoners are "nightmare" variants like those for the Spectre and Imp in PS1 Doom and 64.
Andrew Hulshult is a good choice for Doom music and i hope this isn't the last we get of him, specially if id wants to do something more interesting in regards to classic Doom, if that would even involve some collab with certain people from the fanbase/community.

Also, Reelism 2 Early Excess released.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Why would they hold back a release that could have big financial and marketing implications for a crossover? That doesn't make sense - the likely and safer possibility is that they had issues with porting it and are uncertain when due to the coronovirus.
I dot think meant they delayed it for that, but maybe they hold off the date announcement? Still unlikely but hey sometimes is fun to imagine

I mean someone did say they will announce the date soon last month. And people thought It was the that months direct or Quakecon, which didn’t happen. It seems that either Nintendo wants to announce the date at a major direct or ID to announce it a another third party update.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I know this video came out a bit late, but did you guys see this? It tells everyone about this interesting theory about this whole M-Rating thing.

Summary:
The theory suggests that the ESRB had a little rule change regarding the mentioning of M-rated franchises, so franchise logos like Fatal Fury, Banjo-Kazooie, and most notably Persona 5 being omitted from the Fighters Pass 1 screen during the Byleth Presentation when before it kept them. Also, in America, the ARMS logo is oddly absent from the Fighters Pass 2 screen when in other regions they kept it, in spite of there being no M-rated franchises that we know of that are playable in this pass. This can potentially mean something. Of course, it could be for any M-Rated game character like Master Chief or Dante, but this bodes well for Doom Slayer, too. IF the Doom Slayer actually does make it into this Pass, I'd like to bet that the video giving him the rundown would be more like Joker's video as opposed to the usual "Mr. Sakurai Presents" video format that we've been having since Hero.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know this video came out a bit late, but did you guys see this? It tells everyone about this interesting theory about this whole M-Rating thing.

Summary:
The theory suggests that the ESRB had a little rule change regarding the mentioning of M-rated franchises, so franchise logos like Fatal Fury, Banjo-Kazooie, and most notably Persona 5 being omitted from the Fighters Pass 1 screen during the Byleth Presentation when before it kept them. Also, in America, the ARMS logo is oddly absent from the Fighters Pass 2 screen when in other regions they kept it, in spite of there being no M-rated franchises that we know of that are playable in this pass. This can potentially mean something. Of course, it could be for any M-Rated game character like Master Chief or Dante, but this bodes well for Doom Slayer, too. IF the Doom Slayer actually does make it into this Pass, I'd like to bet that the video giving him the rundown would be more like Joker's video as opposed to the usual "Mr. Sakurai Presents" video format that we've been having since Hero.
I remember being a young kid during Brawl speculation, and I genuinely thought that Snake would make the game rated M because of his franchise being rated M.
Oh how the prophecy has been fulfilled.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I've never played Doom but I got nothing against Doomslayer being in Smash. I think he'd be a great character. He has it all as far as being a Smash Bros. character. However, it just wouldn't feel right for me to call myself a supporter without playing any Doom games first, so hopefully, I'll get to playing at least one of the newer games soon. And if I do, I'm going to make sure that it's on the Nintendo Switch.

Also, I can picture other Bethesda series being represented as spirits. Aside from the Doom characters, I can also see B.J. Blazkowicz, Vault Boy, and Commander Keen as all being spirits too.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Also, I can picture other Bethesda series being represented as spirits. Aside from the Doom characters, I can also see B.J. Blazkowicz, Vault Boy, and Commander Keen as all being spirits too.
Building off of that, it'd be cool to see them do a Spirit event comprised of classic FPS chars.

Characters like the other two members of the "Id trio" (BJ Blazkowicz and Ranger) and the Build Trio (Duke Nukem, Lo Wang and Caleb), Keel, Clutch, Leonard, the Mjolnir Cyborg Security Officer, Painkiller, Joanna Dark, so on and so forth.

Or perhaps even enemies like the Dimensional Shambler, Octabrain, Triad Enforcer (which advances into Big John), one (or all) of the Serpent Riders (with either D'Sparil or Eidolon being advancable), a Strogg unit, SHODAN, a BOB, the NME, a Kleer, Cheogh, a Wendigo... I could go on.

Or perhaps even weapons/pickups like the Napalm Cannon, Drunken Missile, the Loverboy, the Riveter, any one of Quake's Nailguns, the Celestial Claw, Biorifle, Dog Mode, Dog Food, Postal 2 Catnip, Guns Akimbo, QUAD DAMAGE, Wraith Verge, Fusion Pistol, the Nobitsura Kage, the Daikatana, Tribolt, etc.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think Commander Keen would be the perfect spirit for Mario in a spirit match. Builder costume, starts off with the Raygun, match takes in Mushroom Kingdom with the SMB3 theme.

Building off of that, it'd be cool to see them do a Spirit event comprised of classic FPS chars.

Characters like the other two members of the "Id trio" (BJ Blazkowicz and Ranger) and the Build Trio (Duke Nukem, Lo Wang and Caleb), Keel, Clutch, Leonard, the Mjolnir Cyborg Security Officer, Painkiller, Joanna Dark, so on and so forth.

Or perhaps even enemies like the Dimensional Shambler, Octabrain, Triad Enforcer (which advances into Big John), one (or all) of the Serpent Riders (with either D'Sparil or Eidolon being advancable), a Strogg unit, SHODAN, a BOB, the NME, a Kleer, Cheogh, a Wendigo... I could go on.

Or perhaps even weapons/pickups like the Napalm Cannon, Drunken Missile, the Loverboy, the Riveter, any one of Quake's Nailguns, the Celestial Claw, Biorifle, Dog Mode, Dog Food, Postal 2 Catnip, Guns Akimbo, QUAD DAMAGE, Wraith Verge, Fusion Pistol, the Nobitsura Kage, the Daikatana, Tribolt, etc.
That's a good idea! I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, especially since I think Perfect Dark should get some kind of representation in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I want to say it's all one big coincidence...

I really do want to.
Isn't this the guy who makes videos on every minute little detail, dug into Sakurai's word immediately after talking about how Sakurai doesn't want people looking into his words, and threw a tantrum over Byleth (But actually it's just a joke to see how we'd all react)?

Yeah, I wouldn't look too deep into this guy.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I've seen many people use the Mark of the Doom Slayer as the symbol for the series. but personally, I prefer the "A" from the UAC logo as the symbol for the series:

1597989741956.png

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Isn't this the guy who makes videos on every minute little detail, dug into Sakurai's word immediately after talking about how Sakurai doesn't want people looking into his words, and threw a tantrum over Byleth (But actually it's just a joke to see how we'd all react)?

Yeah, I wouldn't look too deep into this guy.
I mean the guy literally thrives off ambiguous bits of information and tries to spin it into something big to suit their narrative. Of course it's smarter to avoid using these arguments as factual.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Interesting idea, though I feel like it wouldn't work as well, given that the UAC isn't directly affiliated with Doomguy
Yeah, it's kinda like using the Order of the Sword for Dante, even though they're the bad guys. The only difference is that the UAC is actually doing something as of late.

If not the Mark of the Slayer, I'm sure the Super Shotgun or BFG would work fine, seeing as Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Xenoblade Chronicles (And arguably ARMS) all use a weapon for their symbol.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
But I thought for sure Doom Slayer was working with UAC or had some sort of involvement with them.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Interesting idea, though I feel like it wouldn't work as well, given that the UAC isn't directly affiliated with Doomguy
It's no different from the Belmonts using Dracula's Castle as their symbol. Me, I'm leaning more towards the D in the Doom logo.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I kind of take back what I said. I think UAC logo is just as likely as the Mark of the Doom Slayer. It shows up pretty often during the game, such as during the loading screen.

By the way, I just got Doom (2016) today. It's been a while since I played a FPS so my skills are really rusty but it is really fun to play. Now that I'm actually playing a Doom game, I guess I'm a Doom Slayer supporter now.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's no different from the Belmonts using Dracula's Castle as their symbol.
The equivalent there would surely be Doomslayer represented by the Icon of Sin?

Which to be fair I think would be metal af, but unlikely given the age rating and satanic panic and all that...

Sadly I think it's just gonna be the helmet like on the permadeath you have died screen, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm not really sure it does though. We get it, but you've got to be pretty up to date with doom to recognize it, and for people who only know of doom it's just a bunch of lines.

I think the Mark of the Slayer is like the Meteor for Cloud, kinda obvious for big fans... but smash went with FF because if you're familiar with Final Fantasy you know how those letters look in that font, and that vague recognition seems more important to the smash team than accuracy. As said early Drac's Castle is recognisable to anyone who knows of Castlevania, and Fire Emblem chose the Falchion to represent the whole series over choosing the actual Fire Emblem.

Obviously there are examples against this like Dragon Quest which went with a symbol only relevant in 4 games that you probably could miss as someone only vaguely familiar (at least outside of Japan), or of course Megaman where they just chose a gear, but I still feel the Mark of the Slayer is a bit fan servicey rather than recognisable.

Although I think ultimate fan service is if it was the doom marine's face from OG Doom.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The Slayer symbol is good from a thematic point of view. It's got a Hellish vibe and represents the character well enough if taken as a sword smashing down into the underworld. Also it looks kind of like a D from a certain point of view, maybe not quite like the Quake Q symbol.
The stylised Doom logo would be the most 'representative' and wouldn't be bad but in some way it would feel like a bit of a cop out. The UAC logos could work but you would be picking from a particular game in the series regardless.

Of course the most ideal scenario would be to have his face be the player portrait, particularly when using the classic skin.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A good Doom symbol could have been the classic UAC symbol because:
  • In a lore logic, it's the one that Doomguy was sort of associated with and they're not as evil as the ones in 2016/Eternal.
  • It has existed since Doom 1 and the symbol even makes some later appearences in the new games, despite not being the "main" symbol.
For the D of DOOM, it'd probably make it a bit stylized to resemble the classic logo, so one part is tech tubes and the other is bricks.
In other news, the Meathook and Flame Belch are being added to MetaDoom.
Also, someone has been modding Eternal to add custom arenas.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Look at what Bethesda said, I'm somewhat confused over why people think it deconfirms Doom Slayer. All they basically said was that they asked Nintendo. If anything, that seems more like it helped his chances a bit because we know they actually contacted Nintendo about that. What came of it, we still don't really know but it doesn't seem to indicate they turned down Bethesda's request.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Look at what Bethesda said, I'm somewhat confused over why people think it deconfirms Doom Slayer. All they basically said was that they asked Nintendo. If anything, that seems more like it helped his chances a bit because we know they actually contacted Nintendo about that. What came of it, we still don't really know but it doesn't seem to indicate they turned down Bethesda's request.
They actively deconfirmed him and its as explicit as it can be.

MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs] GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
They actively deconfirmed him and its as explicit as it can be.
That's still not clear enough. In the first part, they simply said that Nintendo never approached them with the idea, but they admitted that they asked Nintendo, so it did actually come up. And in the second part, they ended it with "so we'll see". If he's not getting in, then what is there to see? They're either keeping a tight lip about it or they really don't know. Either way, none of it points to him being deconfirmed or even his chances being low.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So... Since Halo Infinite got delayed, I think it’s safe to likely expect Doom Eternal winning shooter of the year like how Doom 2016 did, among perhaps winning some other categories.

The game awards is said to still be happening around the usual time this year despite covid.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
That's still not clear enough. In the first part, they simply said that Nintendo never approached them with the idea, but they admitted that they asked Nintendo, so it did actually come up. And in the second part, they ended it with "so we'll see". If he's not getting in, then what is there to see? They're either keeping a tight lip about it or they really don't know. Either way, none of it points to him being deconfirmed or even his chances being low.
Outside of assuming that this is NDA talk (which is another issue altogether), selectively choosing certain parts and ignoring others doesn't make for a compelling argument.

If you read the full portion, he clearly states he doesn't know even through "they asked Nintendo", then stated that "you'd have to ask Nintendo because we've never been approached".
Then went on to explain that he wasn't sure who talked to who (an indication that it was probably just a request, just like many other game developers), and that talks never went anywhere serious.
If the head honcho doesn't know anything, then who will? (don't tell me ID - stratton would 100% be in the know-all for such a request because game devs need to talk to Nintendo about how to represent the character .etc)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Outside of assuming that this is NDA talk (which is another issue altogether), selectively choosing certain parts and ignoring others doesn't make for a compelling argument.

If you read the full portion, he clearly states he doesn't know even through "they asked Nintendo", then stated that "you'd have to ask Nintendo because we've never been approached".
Then went on to explain that he wasn't sure who talked to who (an indication that it was probably just a request, just like many other game developers), and that talks never went anywhere serious.
If the head honcho doesn't know anything, then who will? (don't tell me ID - stratton would 100% be in the know-all for such a request because game devs need to talk to Nintendo about how to represent the character .etc)
Not selectively choosing or ignoring anything. I actually read the whole thing, just addressing what you yourself selectively chose, and even though they said talks never went anywhere serious, asking Nintendo is a pretty serious step to me. So I don't know. Maybe he's just talking his way around it.

While I still don't think this interview tells us anything, I think the only real thing against Doom Slayer's chances is Vault Boy making it in as a Mii costume without Doom Slayer or any other character from Bethesda being a playable character. Seeing how Vault Boy was revealed months after that interview, talks between Bethesda and Nintendo may have led to that instead. Still, I'd rather wait until all DLC is complete first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom