• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I see the claim quite a bit that Doomguy without the gore and blood doesn't correctly represent Doomguy or Doom as a series. Sonic dies in one hit in his games when he has zero rings, but has anyone EVER complained that Sonic "just isn't himself" in Smash because of the lack of rings in his playstyle? Are people complaining about the lack of stealth in Snakes moveset? Not every minute detail needs to seamlessly transfer to Smash for a character to be a good inclusion.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I see the claim quite a bit that Doomguy without the gore and blood doesn't correctly represent Doomguy or Doom as a series. Sonic dies in one hit in his games when he has zero rings, but has anyone EVER complained that Sonic "just isn't himself" in Smash because of the lack of rings in his playstyle? Are people complaining about the lack of stealth in Snakes moveset? Not every minute detail needs to seamlessly transfer to Smash for a character to be a good inclusion.
TBH a Megaman style unique death animation for Sonic would be kinda cool

GolisoPower

Smash Master
TBH a Megaman style unique death animation for Sonic would be kinda cool
Like if he’s KO’d during Stamina Battle or by an insta-kill move, he’ll instead just fall off the bottom of the screen like in Sonic 1 before making the KO Blast at the bottom?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Anyone find it odd how Pete Hines filmed a special bit for the Direct? Has a third party ever done this before?
The last one I remember is Todd Howard during the Switch Presentation back in 2017 on Skyrim for Switch. I don’t know if there was anything earlier or later than that, though.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Hmm, another Bethesda employee. Veeeery interesting.

If Slayer isn’t the final character for this Pass, he has to be in the cards for the future.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
WAAAAY back in 2015 Namco did it for some weird online game that I dont remember if it even came out. Heres the clip.
Oh yeah, I remember this one! Lost Reavers! It came out over a year after that Direct, and I heard the servers shut down in May this year.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Currently my most wanted character. He's so iconic, has such a huge history with Nintendo, and would be a very different type of character from a very under-represented genre in Smash.

There are so many ways to make a character appear brutal and violent without blood. The way he's animated would make all the difference. All his grabs and throws could be super intense. Lots of slamming, stomping, bashing, etc.

I have no doubt they'd do the character justice.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I did whenever Sabi tweeted this out, gotta show all the love I can for Doomguy.
You know, for someone saying not to be confident anymore on the Doom Slayer's inclusion because of leaks, you still want to follow a leaker's request.

The best way to show your support would be going to Twitter and leave your comment either to DOOM twitter, or any of the Nintendo twitters available (There are many languages, so they may be seeing support over there)

Someone as obscure as a leaker obviously wouldn't be of attention to Nintendo or Sakurai...

Oh! I also found this!

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av29059376/?spm_id_from=333.788.videocard.8

The video is filled with so many comments it's unwatchable, lol.

EDIT: Before anyone gets excited, it's Chinese. But I guess we have some support in the East, lol. Just found this one curious with the comments passing by.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
You know, for someone saying not to be confident anymore on the Doom Slayer's inclusion because of leaks, you still want to follow a leaker's request.

The best way to show your support would be going to Twitter and leave your comment either to DOOM twitter, or any of the Nintendo twitters available (There are many languages, so they may be seeing support over there)

Someone as obscure as a leaker obviously wouldn't be of attention to Nintendo or Sakurai...

Oh! I also found this!

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av29059376/?spm_id_from=333.788.videocard.8

The video is filled with so many comments it's unwatchable, lol.

EDIT: Before anyone gets excited, it's Chinese. But I guess we have some support in the East, lol. Just found this one curious with the comments passing by.
Sabi's got a good track record, anyone that leaked Doomguy didn't. They were just random 4chan, or 5chan leaks. I never said "not to be confident anymore on the Slayer's inclusion because of leaks", I said that all these fake leaks with Doomguy have made ME get my hopes up too much, so you shouldn't either. Also tweeting the Doom twitter probably wouldn't do much, I would just tweet at Nintendo or Sakurai. Since it's their game and they control who gets in or not.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Anyone find it odd how Pete Hines filmed a special bit for the Direct? Has a third party ever done this before?
I don't know if it's pointing towards anything, but Hines was also the only AAA third party that's appeared on the Nintendo podcast (Celeste's dev has too).
Kinda odd how we've went from Bethesda never supporting the Switch to this is one generation.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's pointing towards anything, but Hines was also the only AAA third party that's appeared on the Nintendo podcast (Celeste's dev has too).
Kinda odd how we've went from Bethesda never supporting the Switch to this is one generation.
Yep, the fact that he talked in their direct at least confirms that Nintendo and Bethesda have talked. This, "oh yeah" when Pete Hines was asked if he talked to Nintendo about Smash, and the Nintendo Power podcast are probably the BEST pieces of evidence we have.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
This, "oh yeah" when Pete Hines was asked if he talked to Nintendo about Smash, and the Nintendo Power podcast are probably the BEST pieces of evidence we have.
Yeah, those and the 2016 Sakurai interview.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I have no doubt a Bethesda character is lined up to be added to Smash.
Bethesda is just getting along so well with Nintendo nowadays and now that we know there's more than one more character after Terry, I can't see the DLC ending without a Bethesda rep.
The only thing really standing in Doom Slayer's way is the Dragonborn IMO.

You simply cannot ignore how big Skyrim is. Its one of the most successful games of all time and that dragonborn helmet is iconic. It'd excite a lot of people.

I love Elder Scrolls, but man, Doom Slayer would be the perfect addition to Smash.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I have no doubt a Bethesda character is lined up to be added to Smash.
Bethesda is just getting along so well with Nintendo nowadays and now that we know there's more than one more character after Terry, I can't see the DLC ending without a Bethesda rep.
The only thing really standing in Doom Slayer's way is the Dragonborn IMO.

You simply cannot ignore how big Skyrim is. Its one of the most successful games of all time and that dragonborn helmet is iconic. It'd excite a lot of people.

I love Elder Scrolls, but man, Doom Slayer would be the perfect addition to Smash.
Again, Doom Slayer is an Id Software (or if you want to be pedantic, a Zenimax) IP, not a Bethesda one.

Besides, how much representation does Doom have on Nintendo Consoles compared to TES?
  • Doom:
    • Doom 1: SNES, GBA, Switch
    • Doom 2: GBA, Switch
    • Doom 64: N64, Switch
    • Doom 3: Switch
    • DOOM (2016): Switch
    • DOOM Eternal: Switch
  • The Elder Scrolls:
    • Skyrim: Switch
Combine that with it being the Year of Doom, which entails Doom Eternal and 64 being released on the Switch, and it'd be insane for Beth/Id/Zenimax to not capitalise on the hype by releasing him as a fighter.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I strongly feel that Doom Slayer could well be Fighter #5 of the current pass. The reasons for why I believe so include:

1. The fact that DOOM pioneered the FPS genre, and the current Fighters Pass in a way has included characters hailing from series which pioneered genres, or features within genres (with exception of Joker perhaps).
2. DOOM games on Nintendo hardware throughout the years, with DOOM Eternal, and DOOM 64 coming soon.
3. The DOOM Eternal interview of Marty and Hugo at this year's QuakeCon, where when asked if they would bring the Doom Slayer to other franchises such as Mortal Kombat, soon afterwards the idea of perhaps seeing him added to Smash was mentioned.
4. An interview to Pete Hines a while back in which when asked if they had talked with Nintendo about Smash, he gave a brief reply ("Oh, yeah"). This may not mean much but the answer seemed too sure.
5. Pete Hines appearing in the 9.4.2019 Nintendo Direct announcing DOOM 64 (I know, he was just announcing the game coming to the Switch, BUT, the fact that HE was in it is pretty... suspicious (imo).:nifty:
6. He would be the "radical" addition to the roster (like when Bayonetta was added in Sm4sh, only in this case, it would be bringing a more brutal tone... without the gore of course... cause Nintendo).

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
There's a slight point against DOOM being on Smash, though.

DOOM is a CERO-Z game in there. CERO-Z means it's for 18 and up, but the thing is, it is absolutely prohibited to sell the game to 17 and below without ID, I guess. Bayonetta and Joker got the pass since the games are CERO-D, which are for 17 and up, and it requires guardianship to play them.

I'm not really sure if Sakurai would allow a CERO-Z character to debut in his game, and make the kids want to play DOOM games. Maybe the oldest games can suffice if the trailer allows an old-school gameplay like Terry, or a VERY tone down trailer where they show the least explicit characters in the game (Like the Cacodemon, or the Hell Knights).

Yes, I want the character, but I have to point out this, which explains why Bayonetta/Joker got in, in the first place. If Doom Slayer gets in, he'll be the VERY FIRST CERO-Z character entering.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
There's a slight point against DOOM being on Smash, though.

DOOM is a CERO-Z game in there. CERO-Z means it's for 18 and up, but the thing is, it is absolutely prohibited to sell the game to 17 and below without ID, I guess. Bayonetta and Joker got the pass since the games are CERO-D, which are for 17 and up, and it requires guardianship to play them.

I'm not really sure if Sakurai would allow a CERO-Z character to debut in his game, and make the kids want to play DOOM games. Maybe the oldest games can suffice if the trailer allows an old-school gameplay like Terry, or a VERY tone down trailer where they show the least explicit characters in the game (Like the Cacodemon, or the Hell Knights).

Yes, I want the character, but I have to point out this, which explains why Bayonetta/Joker got in, in the first place. If Doom Slayer gets in, he'll be the VERY FIRST CERO-Z character entering.
That's true, and would be a pretty big point against him. However, I do see a possible workaround.

What's the CERO rating for the 1993 Doom? Because if they were to base Doomguy off his appearance in there, they could probably get him in. (I could only find it on the game's IMDb page, where it's rated as CERO C, but I'm not sure where they're sourcing that info from.)

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
That's true, and would be a pretty big point against him. However, I do see a possible workaround.

What's the CERO rating for the 1993 Doom? Because if they were to base Doomguy off his appearance in there, they could probably get him in. (I could only find it on the game's IMDb page, where it's rated as CERO C, but I'm not sure where they're sourcing that info from.)
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/title...source=www.nintendo.co.jp&utm_medium=referral

Doom 1 is CERO-C.

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/title...source=www.nintendo.co.jp&utm_medium=referral

Doom 2 is CERO-D

No Doom 3 as of now.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what would you guys like to see for his moveset?

I'm not sure about neutral or down special, but I'd definitely love to see a rocket jump recovery and a meat hook side special that pulls opponents in for a super shotgun blast.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I shudder to think how long the "no M-rated characters" rule would've existed for had Snake never been part of Smash.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I shudder to think how long the "no M-rated characters" rule would've existed for had Snake never been part of Smash.
This is different, though. Doom Slayer is part of an actually controversial game, therefore, the CERO-Z rating.

If, and only IF, Doom Slayer gets in, then even Z ratings can get in...

I also believe Resident Evil 2 is also Z, but with censorship, it goes down.

I just checked Biohazard (Biohazard 2 doesn't exist, only Biohazard 4 and 1, and other irrelevant ones) on Switch and I'm baffled why it is rated CERO-D... You still kill humanoid people, yet DOOM has demons, other than the humanoid one-eyed demons you encounter...

EDIT: I'm mentioning Resident Evil/Biohazard, because it's been requested to be in Smash, but them being CERO-D makes them "rule-less", lol.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
This whole debate on whether DOOM is too mature for Smash ignores we still got Bayonetta who executes finishers just as brutal if not more than Doomguy's. Not to mention S&M themed type ones she does. On Angels. I forget to mention this is a character Nintendo poured a lot of money in buying btw?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This whole debate on whether DOOM is too mature for Smash ignores we still got Bayonetta who executes finishers just as brutal if not more than Doomguy's. Not to mention S&M themed type ones she does. On Angels. I forget to mention this is a character Nintendo poured a lot of money in buying btw?
They didn't buy Bayonetta, though they did fund Bayonetta 2 (and possibly 3). Still, I agree that it's entirely possible to tone characters like Doomguy down (as we saw with Bayonetta, where she was toned down for Smash but still felt like Bayonetta) or keep them brutal without having all of the gore involved (Ridley's moves are pretty brutal without a drop of blood).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Again, Doom Slayer is an Id Software (or if you want to be pedantic, a Zenimax) IP, not a Bethesda one.

Besides, how much representation does Doom have on Nintendo Consoles compared to TES?
  • Doom:
    • Doom 1: SNES, GBA, Switch
    • Doom 2: GBA, Switch
    • Doom 64: N64, Switch
    • Doom 3: Switch
    • DOOM (2016): Switch
    • DOOM Eternal: Switch
  • The Elder Scrolls:
    • Skyrim: Switch
Combine that with it being the Year of Doom, which entails Doom Eternal and 64 being released on the Switch, and it'd be insane for Beth/Id/Zenimax to not capitalise on the hype by releasing him as a fighter.
It's the 25th year of the Elder Scrolls as well. Plus having few games on Nintendo didn't stop Persona from getting in over more qualified Sega related reps (such as Super Monkey Ball).

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
It's the 25th year of the Elder Scrolls as well. Plus having few games on Nintendo didn't stop Persona from getting in over more qualified Sega related reps (such as Super Monkey Ball).
And yet nobody is calling 2019 "The Year of The Elder Scrolls"

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Good to know. I'd always assumed they would go with his old-school design anyways. It's safe to assume he'd have a 2016 alt, though.

True, but they aren't really pushing it at all, especially not as hard as they are with Doom. Elder Scrolls got a week? Doom gets the whole year, baby.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Good to know. I'd always assumed they would go with his old-school design anyways. It's safe to assume he'd have a 2016 alt, though.

True, but they aren't really pushing it at all, especially not as hard as they are with Doom. Elder Scrolls got a week? Doom gets the whole year, baby.
Which is a shame, because The Elder Scrolls is THEIR franchise, the success that made them what they are. Either way, I'm glad you guys have been having fun with it.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Which is a shame, because The Elder Scrolls is THEIR franchise, the success that made them what they are. Either way, I'm glad you guys have been having fun with it.
We aren't discrediting the Dovahkiin... Sure, it has his own history (Their first game being a "clickbaity" box cover), but there's already representation for sword fighters and RPG-styled worlds.

There's no true FPS representation (Unless we count Metroid Prime), and the Doom Slayer is the perfect individual to cement as the one deserving of that spot. I'd warmly welcome his inclusion with open arms, if Sakurai really decides to bless the Western audience with a surprise like that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
We aren't discrediting the Dovahkiin... Sure, it has his own history (Their first game being a "clickbaity" box cover), but there's already representation for sword fighters and RPG-styled worlds.

There's no true FPS representation (Unless we count Metroid Prime), and the Doom Slayer is the perfect individual to cement as the one deserving of that spot. I'd warmly welcome his inclusion with open arms, if Sakurai really decides to bless the Western audience with a surprise like that.
If only we could have both!

Oh, and don't worry, the "what a shame" was aimed at Bethesda, not you guys. xD

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
In all honesty the CERO Z argument really doesn't hold that much water when Smash Ultimate has spirits from Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4, which are labeled CERO 18+ (probably before the CERO rating change?) and Z respectively.

Top Bottom