• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Never played Doom. Yeah, I'm a filthy pleb, I know. Is 5 bucks worth it for the OG game on Switch? I like portability.
I'd consider it a game worth playing just on a historically significant basis, like Pac-Man, SMB, Sonic, SM64, GTA3, etc. That kinda thing. You have to go in knowing it'd feel dated, though.

I've never played it portably, but five bucks is a pretty good price.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I had a dream last night where Doomguy got into Smash but his trailer was just him in an office meeting room with a bunch of the nintendo characters, and on the whiteboard there were pictures of mario, link and samus faces with "classic" wrotten under them. Doomguy then drew his own face next to the others and wrote classic under his picture, then drew a smash ball. The nintendo characters just look at eachother and back at doomguy, and then all nod. Then it immediatley cuts to gameplay. Got too much Doom on the brain lol

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Well then they screwed up. I hope they didn't actually leave out No Rest for the Living from Doom II.

Also, if they didn't include 64, I think this deconfirms anything that says Doomguy would come with his Doom 64 suit.
I wouldn’t quite say that just yet, sakurai doesn’t really seem to care what game came from where when it comes to making a fighter. I’d say something 64 related is still possible.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So why does everyone hold so much stock in google theory exactly? Not that I would mind DG and Ryu, but I was wanting your thoughts.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guys...check the date of this post:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/442253084/#442254868

This person some how managed to get Heroe’s alts down to a T in December of 2018. And guess who’s on the list?
Hmm...that seems a little sketchy. He got the Hero's alts and Banjo and Kazooie, but that's the only thing there. Besides, this is 4chan we're talking about. Finding a leak on 4chan that turns out to be true is like finding a shooting star. Besides, we don't know this guy's track record.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm gonna say no, just the words godliest predictor.
I don't know how they could have gotten all this info back in 2018, unless Sakurai posted that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Monster Hunter is still hard to believe. I’m sure it’s possible though.
Why is Monster Hunter hard to believe?

The franchise already has representation in Ultimate with Rathalos and also a stage. It's one of the most popular gaming franchises in Japan and has rising popularity in the West thanks to Monster Hunter World. Monster Hunter Tri, 4 and Generations were all exclsuive Nintendo games before the franchise returned to Sony.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Why is Monster Hunter hard to believe?

The franchise already has representation in Ultimate with Rathalos and also a stage. It's one of the most popular gaming franchises in Japan and has rising popularity in the West thanks to Monster Hunter World. Monster Hunter Tri, 4 and Generations were all exclsuive Nintendo games before the franchise returned to Sony.
Sure, I get all that. It’s just beyond strange to me that they would reveal Rathalos and not the Monster Hunter if they were indeed going to be playable. It’s unprecedented for something like that to happen. I could be wrong of course.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
And like that we may need to hold our horses a little bit:
https://youtu.be/dJ7ulqjS_Vg?t=476

Go to 7:40

The question was about the Slayer in Mortal Kombat. They brought up Smash bros without being asked. Not a good sign.
tbf, they only said "We'd like to see him there", so there's no way to prove or disprove that Doom Slayer is in either Mortal Kombat or Smash Bros.

I imagined the blown-away looks on everyone's faces when Doom Slayer is simultaneously announced for both Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros as I was typing this.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...that seems a little sketchy. He got the Hero's alts and Banjo and Kazooie, but that's the only thing there. Besides, this is 4chan we're talking about. Finding a leak on 4chan that turns out to be true is like finding a shooting star. Besides, we don't know this guy's track record.
Sure, but to get all those things right, right down to the alts is a bit fishy. He's gotta know something or he just somehow had the best guess in the entire world. If you couple this with both Doomguy and Banjo being in Google theory, then I actually think the impossible might happen, Doomguy could actually be in! I know it's good to be skeptical, but come on. He literally got everything right, plus the final two characters actually make sense.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
My take on these leaks is that they know something we don't but still lie in the posts, so everyone thinks they're the "real" ones before they turn out to be partially fake.
That interview may also show a possible chance of NDA breakage.

It's a shame that the ports kind of suck, because i'm hearing even more issues like the lightning, use of Unity and how they almost didn't credit the original devs.
Along with the lack of Doom 64, NRFTL and Final Doom and maybe not bringing back the RPG games, after the mobile ports.
Or how the ports are somewhat partially based off the BFG editions and didn't learn anything from what went wrong with some ports or even feedback.

Anyway, i think it's always great to (re)visit the older Doom's because historical value and fun aside, you'll see there's some things in those games that don't really carry over the later titles.
Like how the original Mancubus plays compared to the new one for example.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Guys its actually just a wishlist and not a leak, if you read the thread you'll see https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/442253084/#442253084
They worded it as a wishlist yes, however everyone on their "wishlist" with the exception of Doomguy and Monster Hunter are in Smash. They even have Hero's very specific alts on there too. It's also weird that his "wishlist" contains very specific details, such as Doomguy having the 2016 design, but with Eternal elements. There's alot of people saying that it was an easy guess, but it really wasn't. I didn't see a single person say that they wanted those specific DQ characters, and only those characters from DQ. Then they also have Banjo on that very same "wishlist" after those very specific DQ protagionists. For me personally, it's very hard to see this as only a very lucky wishlist. That feels less possible to me, then just someone who actually has insider knowledge, and just felt like posting the info they know as a wishlist. As for why they posted it as a "wishlist", I honestly have no clue. Maybe it was to troll or maybe they did it that way, so the post wouldn't get as much attention(which if that was the case, then they succeeded. Cause it didn't start gaining traction until just now). It's possible that they knew about the DQ characters getting in, and Banjo getting in, then they just added Doomguy and Monster Hunter to make it seem more like a real wishlist than a leak. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im not going all in, but its worth keeping an eye on. In a time when everyone was specifically predicting Edrick, even Vergeben, this guy doesnt say Edrick but even calls the character "hero". Either way im cautiously optimistic about Doomguyd chances.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
They worded it as a wishlist yes, however everyone on their "wishlist" with the exception of Doomguy and Monster Hunter are in Smash. They even have Hero's very specific alts on there too. It's also weird that his "wishlist" contains very specific details, such as Doomguy having the 2016 design, but with Eternal elements. There's alot of people saying that it was an easy guess, but it really wasn't. I didn't see a single person say that they wanted those specific DQ characters, and only those characters from DQ. Then they also have Banjo on that very same "wishlist" after those very specific DQ protagionists. For me personally, it's very hard to see this as only a very lucky wishlist. That feels less possible to me, then just someone who actually has insider knowledge, and just felt like posting the info they know as a wishlist. As for why they posted it as a "wishlist", I honestly have no clue. Maybe it was to troll or maybe they did it that way, so the post wouldn't get as much attention(which if that was the case, then they succeeded. Cause it didn't start gaining traction until just now). It's possible that they knew about the DQ characters getting in, and Banjo getting in, then they just added Doomguy and Monster Hunter to make it seem more like a real wishlist than a leak. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
I see what you're saying, but just because you didnt see anyone say that they wanted those characters doesn't mean there isnt someone who actually wants those specific character. I dunno if you're in the dq fandom or anything to especially know if anyone specifically wanted those characters or anything . I'll admit that it is super suspicious though how his "wishes" came true :laugh: only time will tell if this is a leak or not, but I'm gonna remain on the side that it's just a wishlist.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I see what you're saying, but just because you didnt see anyone say that they wanted those characters doesn't mean there isnt someone who actually wants those specific character. I dunno if you're in the dq fandom or anything to especially know if anyone specifically wanted those characters or anything . I'll admit that it is super suspicious though how his "wishes" came true :laugh: only time will tell if this is a leak or not, but I'm gonna remain on the side that it's just a wishlist.
I see your point. In all fairness, someone could have just wanted those specific characters. I'm not in the DQ fandom, or in the know about the games AT ALL. I have literally zero knowledge on anything Dragon Quest, except that they did a crossover with Mario called "Fortune Street", but I only know that because i'm a pretty big Mario fan. So for all I know there could have been someone that genuinely just wanted those very specific characters, maybe they're popular picks, I don't know, however from the boards I lurk, the videos I watch, and the servers i'm apart of, I have never heard or seen anyone bring up those 4 specific characters up back to back. All i'm saying is from what iv'e seen, there wasn't anyone who brought those characters up. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though. It's also suspicious to me that he brought up those characters up with Banjo on there as well, and this was when everyone was assuming Steve was the Microsoft rep. It's also weird that Doomguy and Banjo's names were covered up by a spoiler syntax. No one's brought up that point up yet.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I see your point. In all fairness, someone could have just wanted those specific characters. I'm not in the DQ fandom, or in the know about the games AT ALL. I have literally zero knowledge on anything Dragon Quest, except that they did a crossover with Mario called "Fortune Street", but I only know that because i'm a pretty big Mario fan. So for all I know there could have been someone that genuinely just wanted those very specific characters, maybe they're popular picks, I don't know, however from the boards I lurk, the videos I watch, and the servers i'm apart of, I have never heard or seen anyone bring up those 4 specific characters up back to back. All i'm saying is from what iv'e seen, there wasn't anyone who brought those characters up. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though. It's also suspicious to me that he brought up those characters up with Banjo on there as well, and this was when everyone was assuming Steve was the Microsoft rep. It's also weird that Doomguy and Banjo's names were covered up by a spoiler syntax. No one's brought up that point up yet.
I saw that too and brought it up in discord to the others. I found that weird too, however hero is not blocked out despite being the most specific. A reason I could come up with for the doom guy part being censored is because it might be a spoiler?( his name itself isnt censored but which version it is is). I have absolutely no reason why banjo is censored. Also monster hunter isnt censored as well? It's all too weird. (Ps I kinda miss fortune street)

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
From what I understand the DQ characters from those specific titles are the more popular picks from the series so it makes sense that they were mentioned as a possibility between them. At least that's what I've heard from people more familiar with Dragon Quest than I am. Nice to know they got at least half of what they wanted on their wishlist, though. If we do get Doom Slayer I hope they come with a classic alt as I can't imagine Sakurai not taking advantage of including it.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I saw that too and brought it up in discord to the others. I found that weird too, however hero is not blocked out despite being the most specific. A reason I could come up with for the doom guy part being censored is because it might be a spoiler?( his name itself isnt censored but which version it is is). I have absolutely no reason why banjo is censored. Also monster hunter isnt censored as well? It's all too weird. (Ps I kinda miss fortune street)
Maybe they partially censored Doomguy, and censored Banjo because their both western characters? That's my shot in the dark guess. I honestly don't know why they did it that way.

I also miss Fortune Street.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I will admit, the formatting of that list is just weird. Why tag Doom Slayer's design and Banjo & Kazooie as a spoiler? I understand Banjo and Kazooie, what with them being such a big deal, but doing the same thing to Doom Slayer's design is just strange. It doesn't really seem like a spoiler-worthy thing for me. Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking, "Hey, those Hero alts are oddly specific". Monster Hunter, I can certainly understand. We already have a foot in the door with Rathalos as an AT/Boss, but why Monster Hunter wasn't tagged as spoilers is beyond me. Wouldn't MH be a surprise akin to Doom Slayer and Banjo? As far as spoilers go, it just doesn't add up.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand the DQ characters from those specific titles are the more popular picks from the series so it makes sense that they were mentioned as a possibility between them. At least that's what I've heard from people more familiar with Dragon Quest than I am. Nice to know they got at least half of what they wanted on their wishlist, though. If we do get Doom Slayer I hope they come with a classic alt as I can't imagine Sakurai not taking advantage of including it.
The 5chan leak proposed the idea of a Doom 64 skin, i'd really like that tbh. Doom 64 doesn't get enough love honestly. If I have to choose between that or a classic Doom 1 and 2 skin however, well sorry Doom 64, but I need classic Doomguy. Both would be very nice though, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe they partially censored Doomguy, and censored Banjo because their both western characters? That's my shot in the dark guess. I honestly don't know why they did it that way.
If they were censored because of that, then Doom Slayer's name would've been censored. Maybe they put the exposed arms and arm-blade on Doom Slayer's Praetor Suit because more people expect the 2016 design more than the Eternal design, so adding cues from the Eternal design would pleasantly surprise the masses? With this in mind, I ask you: which Doom Slayer design first comes to mind when he's brought up?

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I will admit, the formatting of that list is just weird. Why tag Doom Slayer's design and Banjo & Kazooie as a spoiler? I understand Banjo and Kazooie, what with them being such a big deal, but doing the same thing to Doom Slayer's design is just strange. It doesn't really seem like a spoiler-worthy thing for me. Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking, "Hey, those Hero alts are oddly specific". Monster Hunter, I can certainly understand. We already have a foot in the door with Rathalos as an AT/Boss, but why Monster Hunter wasn't tagged as spoilers is beyond me. Wouldn't MH be a surprise akin to Doom Slayer and Banjo? As far as spoilers go, it just doesn't add up.
It was brought up in this Discord server i'm in that Monster Hunter has missing spirits in the game's code(credit to Papa Geno's for bringing it up), akin to the Rare spirits missing, but also being present in the code. That could point to Monster Hunter being added in later, just like the Rare spirits pointed to Banjo.
If they were censored because of that, then Doom Slayer's name would've been censored. Maybe they put the exposed arms and arm-blade on Doom Slayer's Praetor Suit because more people expect the 2016 design more than the Eternal design, so adding cues from the Eternal design would pleasantly surprise the masses? With this in mind, I ask you: which Doom Slayer design first comes to mind when he's brought up?
The 2016 one for sure, at least for me.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
That's what I'm saying!

I also miss Fortune Street.
Idk what to think of this anymore, I'm just gonna sit back and watch the hero presentation tomorrow.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
There's a person on twitter claiming that the leak is their's. According to them it is just a wishlist, at least that's what they heavily imply. Their name is Shameless_SMT on twitter. So this could actually be dead. Well the hope was nice while it lasted I guess. At least this person is happy though, they got 2 out of the 4 things they wanted on their wishlist.

link to their profile: https://twitter.com/shameless_SMT

Sorry to deliver the bad news.

KillerCage

Smash Master
There's a person on twitter claiming that the leak is their's. According to them it is just a wishlist, at least that's what they heavily imply. Their name is Shameless_SMT on twitter. So this could actually be dead. Well the hope was nice while it lasted I guess. At least this person is happy though, they got 2 out of the 4 things they wanted on their wishlist.

It is a shame this "leak" was confirmed fake.
Then again, I found it odd that the Monster Hunter would be a DLC fighter when there is already Monster Hunter content in the base game.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

Awe it's okay, for your sake doom might just come!

Untouch

Smash Master
That's a worrying sign....
Why would they bring up Smash bros for no reason if they weren't asked for it?
By the look on Hugo's face it really does look like that just slipped out randomly, just weird how he brought up Smash.
But with how much Kirkhope denied Banjo before the reveal, I don't think this means anything, especially since Marty didn't really confirm or deny anything.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Why does this keep happening to Doomguy? This is the third time he’s been on a “credible” fake lake. At this rate I honestly feel like he’s not gonna wind up in the pass. It’s just getting annoying at this point.

Top Bottom