• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Looks like the only Doom game missing on Switch now is Doom 64.
Well then they screwed up. I hope they didn't actually leave out No Rest for the Living from Doom II.

Also, if they didn't include 64, I think this deconfirms anything that says Doomguy would come with his Doom 64 suit.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is in fact the first time that Doom 3 (along with Resurrection of Evil and the Lost Missions) and the Master Levels for Doom 2 have ever appeared on a Nintendo console. This leaves Final Doom as the only major Doom game to never appear on a Nintendo console.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just because Doom 64 hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean it won't eventually happen. It took a while for FF8 Remastered to happen after all for the Switch

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if they'll get the guys who did the Turok ports to help out with Doom 64

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
At this rate I feel it could be easier to remake the game in one of the already existing engines than try to port the original thing.

I don't get what the deal is for Final Doom though. It's like it's not even considered part of the main games or something. (... maybe cause it's named FINAL, when it's clearly not? :p)

Also kinda sad Doom 1 didn't include that brand new 5th episode.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
At this rate I feel it could be easier to remake the game in one of the already existing engines than try to port the original thing.

I don't get what the deal is for Final Doom though. It's like it's not even considered part of the main games or something. (... maybe cause it's named FINAL, when it's clearly not? :p)

Final Doom wasn't included in the BFG Edition, either, but being fan made is not an excuse for Final Doom to not be here because the Master Levels are.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well these ports were probably the surprise Pete was talking about.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Considering these ports are also going to PS4, and Xbox One. I don't think this was the "surprise for Nintendo fans" that Pete was talking about. The way he sounded made it seem way more special than just ports that are going to all platforms. I will say it's probably something to do with Doom 64. Maybe an enhanced port or something like that down the road? It's either that or Doomguy in Smash. I could be wrong though, so who knows. Maybe this was the surprise, but I just don't think it is.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
At least you only have to sign in to the beth account on one of the games once and it works for all 3.

But yeah, it's pretty damn dumb to have something like this on a 25 year old game, unless there's some kind of connectivity between these ports and Eternal we haven't seen yet.

And yeah, I'm with Holphino, the fact that these ports aren't Nintendo specific kinda says to me that this isn't the surprise. It could be, I wouldn't put it past them to misdirect like that, but unless nothing else Doom and Nintendo related happens I'm going with "not the surprise."

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ah I thought Switch was the only one. Okay that’s cool, still hope that could mean something more.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

There was an episode 5 for Doom 1? 0_o Interesting, and I thought episode 4 was as brutal as it got for that game.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
John Romero just made a new one:
https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il
Even if you're used to steamrolling on Ultra Violence, I definitely don't recommend it for the first run through Sigil. I personally love Sigil but It was definitely designed around Hurt Me Plenty, and Ultra Violence on the other hand gets kinda sadistic and arguably verges on bull****ty at times.

It's not confirmed but it's pretty much assumed that this was intentional and Romero deliberately trolled the people who view UV as easy.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Final Doom wasn't included in the BFG Edition, either, but being fan made is not an excuse for Final Doom to not be here because the Master Levels are.
Yeah, that's right. Back in the PS360 era, Final Doom was missing from the BFG edition...

Only for a Classic Doom trilogy digital bundle to appear later including: U.Doom, Doom2(+ML), and Final Doom.
So the only way to get all of them was to buy both bundles. Kind of a bs move.

Hope we get FD, 64, and Sigil chapter added later.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In addition to the having to make a Bethesda account to play these older games (which only takes like a minute to set up to be fair), you also have to be and remain connected online to play, which will be a hype killer for some. DRM even in single player games isn't uncommon nowadays though sadly.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Doomguy's chances already looked pretty strong with Eternal getting a Switch port. But now he's looking to be one of the most likely candidates after the three previous mainline games have received ports for the Switch. If hypothetically he's a DLC fighter then I'll make a guess and say that he'd probably be our fourth DLC fighter to coincide with the release of Doom Eternal.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Single player DRM is a scourge on everything good in this world and Todd will pay for this transgression with blood.

Or with Doomguy in Smash, which would more than sate me. Still not buying these though.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I've got GZDoom with Brutal Doom mod so I'm already satisfied. No need to sell my soul just to play Doom on the go.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think there's a need to be that dramatic, but I do hope the backlash eventually results in Bethesda caving in and removing the DRM, at least for single player, as you'd still have to be connected for the multiplayer. If the Doom trilogy port doesn't sell that well because of the controversy, they may fix that bit with an update.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
In addition to the having to make a Bethesda account to play these older games (which only takes like a minute to set up to be fair), you also have to be and remain connected online to play, which will be a hype killer for some. DRM even in single player games isn't uncommon nowadays though sadly.
Nintendo doing this with Joker already really pisses me off and Doom is one of my train journey games. No way I'm wasting money on games I can't play when I most want to.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Nintendo doing this with Joker already really pisses me off and Doom is one of my train journey games. No way I'm wasting money on games I can't play when I most want to.
You actually don't need to be online all the time to play Doom (I tested with Doom 1 anyway). So play Doom (1 at least) on the train on your Switch to your heart's content.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I later learned that I was misinformed with what I saw regarding that bit. That’s good at least. That said, the Bethesda account thing is kinda being made worse an issue than it really is, especially when it’s a one time thing you don’t have to do again the next times you’re on the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well then.
There will definitely be a Switch port. It was Nintendo exclusive of course.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if this is legitimate, or the people behind this article didn't check other consoles for whatever reason, but it seems like the new ports might be Switch exclusive in Japan.

https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2019/07/27/91679.html

ニンテンドースイッチ向けには、『DOOM』と『DOOM II』の配信開始を確認しました。価格はそれぞれ税込580円で、PS4及びXB1への配信は確認できていません。

Google translate: For Nintendo switches, we confirmed the launch of "DOOM" and "DOOM II". The price is 580 yen including tax respectively, and delivery to PS4 and XB1 has not been confirmed.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if this is legitimate, or the people behind this article didn't check other consoles for whatever reason, but it seems like the new ports might be Switch exclusive in Japan.

ニンテンドースイッチ向けには、『DOOM』と『DOOM II』の配信開始を確認しました。価格はそれぞれ税込580円で、PS4及びXB1への配信は確認できていません。

Google translate: For Nintendo switches, we confirmed the launch of "DOOM" and "DOOM II". The price is 580 yen including tax respectively, and delivery to PS4 and XB1 has not been confirmed.
If that is true, I wonder why that is. I know the Switch is much more popular over there than the other consoles, but it's still odd. Kinda feels like they are trying to sell something to Japan when it comes to Doom and Nintendo.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Imma betting that a Doom 64 Switch port is going to be the second-to-last announcement for the next Nintendo Direct.

You could probably guess what the last one could be...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If that is true, I wonder why that is. I know the Switch is much more popular over there than the other consoles, but it's still odd. Kinda feels like they are trying to sell something to Japan when it comes to Doom and Nintendo.
Probably because the game wouldn't fly too well with CERO if it was noticeable on other platforms. Lord knows the recent Mortal Kombat games aren't able to be distributed there in Japan because of that ratings board.

See? I told you guys it was going to happen eventually.
Right? It's amazing how people can't seem to wait these days. :drshrug:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well Sony Japan went three ways insane with censorship but after seeing how complaining that Doom is too violent is still the death of credibility in the west, they let them through unchanged. And the XBox is to Japan what the Vita is to the West. That one niche console that no-one bought and the company is no longer interested in supporting.

Top Bottom