• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think that the OG Doom games are getting re released because they’re gonna reveal in Eternal that the Slayer is the same Doomguy from those games.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think that the OG Doom games are getting re released because they’re gonna reveal in Eternal that the Slayer is the same Doomguy from those games.
I don't know if they NEED a reason to re-release them. Doom's like the predecessor of Skyrim and Resident Evil 4 in that the developers try to get it on as many systems as possible - people even tried putting Doom on a graphing calculator, for crying out loud!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only major Doom game left that has yet to be on a Nintendo console is Final Doom. Given all the other ports and 64 basically confirmed, it's only a matter of time before that one shows up too.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night that Doomguy/slayer got into Smash Ultimate. I was also explaining to my sister in the dream why they call him Doomguy in that the original Doom games had the player as the star of the game since it's a first-person shooter, and that you were going through this experience of trying to survive out in space, so his name isn't literally Doomguy since it was just supposed to represent the player and we just kind of call him that.

Add to that these Switch ports recently, the talks with Nintendo and Bethesda, all the artwork of Doom Slayer teaching other game characters or cartoons how to fire weapons, it feels like he's all but confirmed. I really hope his time comes soon.

I also really hope Final Doom shows up one of these days; that game is underrated.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Doom 64 too?? Now things are starting to get suspicious... I hope there is more too this. Doomguy quickly became my most wanted after Banjo got in. I would not care if the last dlc was another FE character if Doomguy got in lol, id be over the moon

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Doom 64 too?? Now things are starting to get suspicious... I hope there is more too this. Doomguy quickly became my most wanted after Banjo got in. I would not care if the last dlc was another FE character if Doomguy got in lol, id be over the moon
Yeah. Now all we need is Final Doom and all mainline Doom games can be played on the Switch (I don't count No Rest For The Living).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. Now all we need is Final Doom and all mainline Doom games can be played on the Switch (I don't count No Rest For The Living).
I'd rather count No Rest for the Living than the "master" levels.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just have to say, you were too late Bethesda.
Seriously, this whole thing has been memed hard, and I am sure this will just evolve it even more.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Coop mode kinda sucks. Why do we instantly respawn after we die? How do even we lose the level?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
No, sadly...the controls can't be changed from the look of it. It's pretty much the same with the joycon and pro controller setup as well.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Coop mode kinda sucks. Why do we instantly respawn after we die? How do even we lose the level?
Well co-op drags out depending on the difficulty level, especially if it’s on nightmare with respawning enemies, but you as a player only respawn with the handgun, and any keys you had before (blue, yellow, red, whatever) you have to go and pick back up again, unless your teammate didn’t die and still has them.

While you’re not designed to be able to “lose” the level by design on co-op, it still has its challenges. I felt kinda spoiled with single player in classic Doom by comparison since I could just save where and whenever I wanted, but co-op can take longer to complete a level depending on things.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It makes sense that I have to connect to the internet to get DLC. It does not make sense that I have to stay connected to use content that I've paid for on what is supposed to be a portable console.
That's never been a problem for me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just yeeted my internet once again for tests and can confirm you don't need an internet connection at all.
I played Joker on Mementos while on a long drive with pouring rain(I wasn't the one driving of course), so I can confirm as well. No internet from car either.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wonder if Doom 64 will be announced at the end of Quakecon. If not then, hopefully as tie in with Doom x Smash ;).

KillerCage

Smash Master
If Doom Slayer is one of the characters in the Fighters' Pass, we are probably not going to have him shown off outside a Nintendo Direct. Every newcomer from Smash 4 onward was revealed in a Nintendo Direct or during E3 with the exception of Joker's announcement at the Game Awards.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Damn, how do these rumors about certain games or DLC having DRM which are dubious at best tend to start to begin with?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well my Joker DLC comments come from personal experience. I don't really understand why others have experienced different but my copy of the game definitely reverts to the base roster when my WiFi goes down.
If it's just me, though, I won't bring it up again. It's clearly not relevant to others.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, well if it really happened to you as far as Smash DLC like with Joker, then I'm not trying to take away from that or call you a liar. It's just with how the DRM thing with this Doom trilogy was somehow brought up, only to find out that wasn't the case from like people who've said they're able to play it offline, I just became suspicious. Maybe there was DRM at first, but got quickly removed when Bethesda did their said update. I don't know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well my Joker DLC comments come from personal experience. I don't really understand why others have experienced different but my copy of the game definitely reverts to the base roster when my WiFi goes down.
If it's just me, though, I won't bring it up again. It's clearly not relevant to others.
That... doesn't sound right. DLC is downloaded onto your system or SD card - once the download is finished, nothing necessitates a connection if you're just playing locally. If that really is the case, maybe you should contact Nintendo.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the music in E1M1 is slowed down? Or is it just me?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Kinda noticed the difference from what I saw posted, but didn’t bother me that much. I’ve seen worse botchering as far as game ports.

StormC

Smash Hero
Never played Doom. Yeah, I'm a filthy pleb, I know. Is 5 bucks worth it for the OG game on Switch? I like portability.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Never played Doom. Yeah, I'm a filthy pleb, I know. Is 5 bucks worth it for the OG game on Switch? I like portability.
It just depends honestly. If you have the option to play it on pc then I would just recommend that. If not though, then get the Switch port. For being able to play Doom 1 or 2 on the go, it's a pretty good deal. I know a lot of people hate the new ports, but they're not that bad(at least in my opinion), but I wouldn't call it the definitive way to play Doom, but again, if you don't have any other option then I would say give the Switch version a shot and if you don't like it then at least you tried it out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom