• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say a lot of it would be figuring that he was a pipe dream at the moment. With everything that's happened with Ultimate characters now, I'd say there's more of a chance, although I'm still trying to keep my hopes low, lest they be crushed like an Imp on the receiving end of the BFG.
Yeah, flavor of the month support tends to happen long after the ballot is completed, when that kind of enthusiasm would have been helpful then.

For all we know, that representative who said "Oh yeah" wouldn't want to say that Slayer wasn't considered for this time. Or got something like a Mii costume.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, flavor of the month support tends to happen long after the ballot is completed, when that kind of enthusiasm would have been helpful then.

For all we know, that representative who said "Oh yeah" wouldn't want to say that Slayer wasn't considered for this time. Or got something like a Mii costume.
I don't know... The father of FPS (or more like, the popularizer) relegated to a mere Mii Gunner costume it's just... Non-sensical to me.

Given the fact the game is a celebration of videogames, I'm pretty sure the Doom Slayer has earned his spot as a main character, and a spawner of what we know as the FPS we have today.

Honestly? I'd prefer not having an inclusion than a Mii Costume (plus a theme song), but if that's what we'll get, I guess we have to accept it.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
One point I always felt was strong for Doom Guy, is that Sakurai bought up John Carmack in a interview.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
One point I always felt was strong for Doom Guy, is that Sakurai bought up John Carmack in a interview.
Who else has had a mention from Sakurai and hasn't appeared in Smash yet? (Excluding Doom Slayer, of course).

After Sakurai's King of Fighters anecdote, we may have a slight chance, a bit bigger than other characters.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Who else has had a mention from Sakurai and hasn't appeared in Smash yet? (Excluding Doom Slayer, of course). After Sakurai's King of Fighters anecdote, we may have a slight chance, a bit bigger than other characters.
It's not always reliable though. Sakurai before Banjo & Kazooie's release has never talked about them and has talked about Minecraft but look who made it into Smash Bros.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I'm beginning to become less hopeful for Doomguy to show up in this season. I don't know, it's probably my pessimistic side talking, but I'm just not feeling it. Heck, I'm getting the feeling Geno has a bigger chance.
I really hope I'm wrong and for the next character reveal to come in and just slay my expectations.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I'm beginning to become less hopeful for Doomguy to show up in this season. I don't know, it's probably my pessimistic side talking, but I'm just not feeling it. Heck, I'm getting the feeling Geno has a bigger chance.
I really hope I'm wrong and for the next character reveal to come in and just slay my expectations.
There are two outcomes left for us, since it wouldn't make sense Doom Slayer would be revealed in a year that is not the "Year of DOOM".

1. Gets revealed as soon as the Terry Gameplay is scheduled to be in, or before the gameplay (November, maybe before DOOM Eternal)
2. DOOM Eternal was instead a way to give us a taste of what the Doom Slayer is capable of, and the Game Awards will give us a Doom Slayer Smash trailer instead, with all that DOOM Eternal offered us.

If nothing happens, his chances are gonna get even lower from them on, but November/December are the peak points for our boy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are two outcomes left for us, since it wouldn't make sense Doom Slayer would be revealed in a year that is not the "Year of DOOM".
Course it would, Smash doesn't care about that kind of stuff 99% of the time. Doom Slayer could get revealed whenever.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I don't really care to speculate about what Sakurai will or won't do. He doesn't have rules, he's liable to change his mind whenever. It's all just reading tea leaves. I know what I think would be cool and that's why I'm here

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't think Doom Guy has a high chance of completing the Fighters Pass but if we take the WOL dummy slots we have alluding to this "Additional DLC", we have 10 more chances so we shouldn't give up here. Doom Guy has made a pretty huge hit since the announcement of Ultimate so he could have a chance of being in the DLC after the fighters pass.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh. My god. I just thought of an idea for if you play as Doom Slayer in World of Light!

During Dharkon's intro, if you are fighting him as Doom Slayer, he will say:

"!iarukaS orihasaM ,em taefed tsum uoy ,thgiL fo dlroW niw oT"

"To win World of Light, you must defeat me, Masahiro Sakurai!"

Almost like the Icon of Sin with his sound effect! That would be a cool easter egg, right?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Oh. My god. I just thought of an idea for if you play as Doom Slayer in World of Light!

Almost like the Icon of Sin with his sound effect! That would be a cool easter egg, right?
you mean John Romero?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

If the Doom Slayer's release also came with a WOL expansion that included a new game + which extended the map to accommodate fighters pass spirits, I can definitely see Doom Slayer becoming the new protagonist alongside Kirby.

Basically, have a scene that plays right after the WOL good ending that sees a merged Galeem/Dharkon entity try once again to snag as many of the fighters it can, including the Fighters Pass fighters. Kirby, already seeing where this is going, buggers off once more to hide, with the rest of the fighters falling once more until only the Doom Slayer is left.

A beam of both darkness and light effectively engulfs the Doom Slayer, presumably turning him into a thrall of this horrid amalgamation. However, this is not the case.

The Doom Slayer rocket-jumps out from within the beam and, shaking in his characteristically uncontrollable rage, bum-rushes the entity with his BFG in hand.

The hybrid, of course, is horrified that this one man has withstood his power, opting to direct all his tendrils towards defeating the Slayer. This is to no avail, as the Doom Slayer is able to dodge, weave, strafe and even straight-up tank the beams as he did before.

Once he nears the cliff edge, the Doom Slayer fires off a shot from the BFG at the hybrid who, having exhausted itself from its failed assault, uses its wing-tendrils to shield itself from the blast. While successful in this endeavor, most of these limbs are either destroyed or severely damaged... allowing the Doom Slayer a gap to launch the Meathook from his Super Shotgun into the creatures trembling eye. Accelerating towards the creature at a frightening speed, the hybrid quickly forms a shield around it's eye which, while protecting it from further assault, fails to detach the grappling hook embedded into it's eye.

Once the Slayer reaches the hybrid, he fires off a volley from the Super Shotgun which DESTROYS the shield and launches him into the air. From the hybrid's corrupting yet injured view, it only has time to look up and see the Doom Slayer - revving Chainsaw in one hand, ignited Crucible in the other and Doomblade extended, fly back down and plunge the three blades into it's socket, creating a massive blast of light and darkness.

Once the dust settles, it reveals that the hybrid, near death and on the verge of collapse, has begun it's retreat and takes as many spirits as it can gather before flying off to parts unknown. Kirby flies back in on his Warp Star, just in time to witness the amalgamation make it's exit by flying away. Alone and having failed his friends once again, Kirby hugs the Slayer's leg in sadness, which sees the Slayer kneel down and comfort Kirby. The scene end with both looking over the cliff towards the sunset, the sun partially blotted by the fleeing amalgamation.

Returning to the map screen, a blast is shown forcing the now near-death hybrid to flee to a new section of the WOL map, with the Doom Slayer and Kirby being blown back to the beginning of said section. You then follow standard WOL gameplay, collecting spirits and fighters, the latter who are regularly fought in pairs or more to accommodate for the shorter map size.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
If the Doom Slayer's release also came with a WOL expansion that included a new game + which extended the map to accommodate fighters pass spirits, I can definitely see Doom Slayer becoming the new protagonist alongside Kirby.

Basica
wouldn't that mean the other DLC characters would have to join kirby to since they were never caught by Galleom or Dharkon?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
wouldn't that mean the other DLC characters would have to join kirby to since they were never caught by Galleom or Dharkon?
I accidentally posted the thing before I could write up the full explanation. Return to the reply where I have edited in the new campaign intro.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Basically, have a scene that plays right after the WOL good ending that sees a merged Galeem/Dharkon entity try once again to snag as many of the fighters it can, including the Fighters Pass fighters. Kirby, already seeing where this is going, buggers off once more to hide, with the rest of the fighters falling once more until only the Doom Slayer is left.

A beam of both darkness and light effectively engulfs the Doom Slayer, presumably turning him into a thrall of this horrid amalgamation. However, this is not the case.

The Doom Slayer rocket-jumps out from within the beam and, shaking in his characteristically uncontrollable rage, bum-rushes the entity with his BFG in hand.

The hybrid, of course, is horrified that this one man has withstood his power, opting to direct all his tendrils towards defeating the Slayer. This is to no avail, as the Doom Slayer is able to dodge, weave, strafe and even straight-up tank the beams as he did before.

Once he nears the cliff edge, the Doom Slayer fires off a shot from the BFG at the hybrid who, having exhausted itself from its failed assault, uses its wing-tendrils to shield itself from the blast. While successful in this endeavor, most of these limbs are either destroyed or severely damaged... allowing the Doom Slayer a gap to launch the Meathook from his Super Shotgun into the creatures trembling eye. Accelerating towards the creature at a frightening speed, the hybrid quickly forms a shield around it's eye which, while protecting it from further assault, fails to detach the grappling hook embedded into it's eye.

Once the Slayer reaches the hybrid, he fires off a volley from the Super Shotgun which DESTROYS the shield and launches him into the air. From the hybrid's corrupting yet injured view, it only has time to look up and see the Doom Slayer - revving Chainsaw in one hand, ignited Crucible in the other and Doomblade extended, fly back down and plunge the three blades into it's socket, creating a massive blast of light and darkness.

Once the dust settles, it reveals that the hybrid, near death and on the verge of collapse, has begun it's retreat and takes as many spirits as it can gather before flying off to parts unknown. Kirby flies back in on his Warp Star, just in time to witness the amalgamation make it's exit by flying away. Alone and having failed his friends once again, Kirby hugs the Slayer's leg in sadness, which sees the Slayer kneel down and comfort Kirby. The scene end with both looking over the cliff towards the sunset, the sun partially blotted by the fleeing amalgamation.

Returning to the map screen, a blast is shown forcing the now near-death hybrid to flee to a new section of the WOL map, with the Doom Slayer and Kirby being blown back to the beginning of said section. You then follow standard WOL gameplay, collecting spirits and fighters, the latter who are regularly fought in pairs or more to accommodate for the shorter map size.
Okay?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

"That representative that said oh yeah" by the way was Pete Hines, Vice President of Bethesda...

It's one big reason I don't shrug it off as some sort of PR speak like people did with Phil Spencer and Banjo. Pete Hines is a damn big deal, right up there with Todd Howard. History repeats itself and I think Doom Slayer is in basically the same boat as Banjo. We'll see though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"That representative that said oh yeah" by the way was Pete Hines, Vice President of Bethesda...

It's one big reason I don't shrug it off as some sort of PR speak like people did with Phil Spencer and Banjo. Pete Hines is a damn big deal, right up there with Todd Howard. History repeats itself and I think Doom Slayer is in basically the same boat as Banjo. We'll see though.
Depending on how big negotiations are, he could come later in this cycle. West third parties as playable in Smash is still very much a new thing, so we're not certain if they'll dive into all the big ones right away.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic, but if you guys are itching for more Doom content. I’d join Bethesda’s Doom fansite. Tons of cool articles & fan art on here, plus a system to earn skins for Eternal & enter contests.

Hopefully the site will be talking about Doom Slayer’s appearance in Smash soon.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/referral/5c047b03876c8d96c6949fac8f27abed
They do giveaways every month, and yet I still haven't won a single t-shirt, it's a hard-knock life :(

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic, but if you guys are itching for more Doom content. I’d join Bethesda’s Doom fansite. Tons of cool articles & fan art on here, plus a system to earn skins for Eternal & enter contests.

Hopefully the site will be talking about Doom Slayer’s appearance in Smash soon.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/referral/5c047b03876c8d96c6949fac8f27abed
Unfortunately, I'm not eligible. People should check eligibility by country there.

Anyways, a post up there and the WOL...

Eh... I really wouldn't want to put the Doom Slayer in a pedestal...

I guess he will just get the Fighter, the stage, music and spirits, just like the rest of Fighters.

Sure, it's good to try using your imagination, but don't overdo it, honestly. Try thinking in a realistic manner (By realistic, I mean known elements like the trailer, the stage, how Doom Slayer might look, his moveset, his palette swaps, etc)

Not trying to be rude, just keeping it as real as possible.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I'm not eligible. People should check eligibility by country there.

Anyways, a post up there and the WOL...

Eh... I really wouldn't want to put the Doom Slayer in a pedestal...

I guess he will just get the Fighter, the stage, music and spirits, just like the rest of Fighters.

Sure, it's good to try using your imagination, but don't overdo it, honestly. Try thinking in a realistic manner (By realistic, I mean known elements like the trailer, the stage, how Doom Slayer might look, his moveset, his palette swaps, etc)

Not trying to be rude, just keeping it as real as possible.
Problem I feel with that notion is that such talking points have been done to death in the nearly 50-page history of this thread, with only new inputs on those fronts being made by thread newcomers.
Besides, anything that isn't strictly related to leaks or news is all just for fun; when it comes to the movesets, 9 times out of 10 the official set will have little in common with the ones we've presented (beyond "uses guns" and "BFG9000 Final Smash"), so I see no fault in "overdoing" such wishful thinking.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
What fun is that?
Don't get me wrong, I want the Doom Slayer more than the next guy...

I guess I'm more inclined into the realistic expectations more than the wishful scenario thinking, with the alternative WOL start or say, have a Smash mode in FPS fashion.

I guess it's just the realistic me kicking off...

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong, I want the Doom Slayer more than the next guy...

I guess I'm more inclined into the realistic expectations more than the wishful scenario thinking, with the alternative WOL start or say, have a Smash mode in FPS fashion.

I guess it's just the realistic me kicking off...
I get where you're coming from, I really do but if everyone here was to remain realistic, then this thread wouldn't even exist. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't care how many pieces of evidence we have, or how many times Doomguy gets leaked, he will always be one of those mind-blowing characters to get in Smash(if he ever gets in).

Last edited:

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
I get were your coming from, I really do but if everyone here was to remain realistic, then this thread wouldn't even exist. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't care how many pieces of evidence we have, or how many times Doomguy gets leaked, he will always be one of those mind-blowing characters to get in Smash(if he ever gets in).
Shoot for Phobos, land in the clouds.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I get where you're coming from, I really do but if everyone here was to remain realistic, then this thread wouldn't even exist. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't care how many pieces of evidence we have, or how many times Doomguy gets leaked, he will always be one of those mind-blowing characters to get in Smash(if he ever gets in).
Heh, let me make it up, then... Because I felt I was being an ass...

Remember the classic Doom destination maps?

Or...

Or...

(These are the original DOOM 1 maps, I will not clog the entire post to add more, you can post the others if you wish).

They could use these for WOL for DOOM-themed spirit fights.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Heh, let me make it up, then... Because I felt I was being an ***...

Remember the classic Doom destination maps?

Or...

Or...

(These are the original DOOM 1 maps, I will not clog the entire post to add more, you can post the others if you wish).

They could use these for WOL for DOOM-themed spirit fights.
That'd be badass as ****!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At the very least I could see one of those as the background picture layout for a Doom spirit board in the event that Doomguy is added as DLC. A World of Light update would be a stretch though, yeah.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I joined that, but there doesn't seem to be much discussion going on there right now.
I honestly don't join those types of Discord... Anyone can pose for a Doomguy fan, then go on a rampage, seething as many fans as possible just for some screenies and a gold star in 4chan.

Heh, even 4chan guys really want for Doomguy as a fighter.

Anyways, found a Japanese You-Tuber that started (and finished) a playthrough of Doom... I'm surprised it amassed that many views!
Another testament of Doom's presence in Japan! At least the niche popularity grows bigger! :)

Top Bottom