• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It would be funny, (but highly doubtful) if the Doom Marine FS was his glory kills.
It kinda would, actually, though I’d see Doom Slayer have Glory Kills as a unique grapple mechanic, not to mention that he would have unique animations for each character he Glory Kills.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It kinda would, actually, though I’d see Doom Slayer have Glory Kills as a unique grapple mechanic, not to mention that he would have unique animations for each character he Glory Kills.
I think it's safe to say that his FS would be some variety of BFG.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
The timing could actually line up perfectly if Quakecon is involved. There could be a Smash Direct during that last weekend of July where they could release The Hero, update Smash, and announce our guy

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
It is important to note that Doomguy popping up in leaks doesn’t mean much. Skull Kid and Geno were in a ton of leaks too.
The thing is that majority of the Smash fandom do not want Doom Slayer. It makes sense for characters like Geno and Skull Kid to get a lot of fake leaks because they're characters people either expected, or just wanted. Besides, he only started to gain traction due to the 5ch leak.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The thing is that majority of the Smash fandom do not want Doom Slayer. It makes sense for characters like Geno and Skull Kid to get a lot of fake leaks because they're characters people either expected, or just wanted. Besides, he only started to gain traction due to the 5ch leak.
Not only that, Bethesda is now actively supporting Nintendo, going as far as to add Link's outfit into the Switch version of Skyrim. Pete Hines also implied that Bethesda was asked for a character. Sakurai also recognized how important Doom was to the gaming industry, and so on.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if Doom Eternal got Nintendo content like how Skyrim got Link gear, what would you want?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It would be funny, (but highly doubtful) if the Doom Marine FS was his glory kills.
His FS a one shot auto knock-out. The camera changes to Doomguy's point of view, grabbing his opponent and slowly crushing the smash ball in front of them. The screen would cut to black and cartoonish clouds pop up with loud punches heard.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What if his final smash is grabbing a fake smash ball, shoving it down his opponent’s mouth, and punching his stomach causing the X explosion.

Now that I think of it, it sounds more brutal than what I imagined.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
You know, if Doom Eternal got Nintendo content like how Skyrim got Link gear, what would you want?
Doomguy with alternate skins. One being Samus of course and you can use her arm cannon throughout the game. Metroid 4 would come early. Another is Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes who when equipped can talk throughout the Doom Eternal campaign like Duke Nukem did in Bulletstorm. He would also have the Crucible sword reskinned to look like his beam katana.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Doomguy with alternate skins. One being Samus of course and you can use her arm cannon throughout the game. Metroid 4 would come early. Another is Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes who when equipped can talk throughout the Doom Eternal campaign like Duke Nukem did in Bulletstorm. He would also have the Crucible sword reskinned to look like his beam katana.
I know Travis is very much associated with Nintendo, but he isn't a Nintendo property. Still would be cool though.

An old Nintendo character I could see fit is Mach Rider. She has the look and weaponry, as well as her weird "die, but not really" reforming trait.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I know Travis is very much associated with Nintendo, but he isn't a Nintendo property. Still would be cool though.

An old Nintendo character I could see fit is Mach Rider. She has the look and weaponry, as well as her weird "die, but not really" reforming trait.
I like to think of No More Heroes as the rebellious teenager of Nintendo franchises who runs from home but comes back later when he knows the "cool kids" are complete butts.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Hello. I've been lurking about SmashBoards for the past 6 months and I finally decided to join tonight.
While he is not my first choice to represent the FPS genre (that would be Master Chief,) I do support the Doom Slayer joining the Smash Bros roster.

I would like to ask you guys a question: Is it possible to salvage "Google Theory" since it did get Banjo & Kazooie?
I think it depends on whether or not Papagenos' Discord server tested "Hero Smash Bro Ultimate" before the keywords were blacklisted.
If they test it and the ad failed to show up, then Google Theory is truly dead. However if they did not test, then the theory could still life to it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Mach Rider is a girl? I never knew that.
It's complicated. Since I am on mobile, I am just gonna copy paste a thing from TV Tropes.
It's rather interesting gaming history.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I've been lurking about SmashBoards for the past 6 months and I finally decided to join tonight.
While he is not my first choice to represent the FPS genre (that would be Master Chief,) I do support the Doom Slayer joining the Smash Bros roster.

I would like to ask you guys a question: Is it possible to salvage "Google Theory" since it did get Banjo & Kazooie?
I think it depends on whether or not Papagenos' Discord server tested "Hero Smash Bro Ultimate" before the keywords were blacklisted.
If they test it and the ad failed to show up, then Google Theory is truly dead. However if they did not test, then the theory could still life to it.
I think it's possible. Some people believe Artorias only showed up in that theory cause he was closely related to the term "DLC". So if we don't count him, that leaves only 4 characters from the google theory. So if they didn't properly check "Hero" or "Eleven" with that theory and they only tried "Erdrick", then that might be why he didn't show up. So yeah, it's entirely possible.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Right now; I'm looking at the dlc from a rather unique angle, that being what the franchise's music could bring to smash. They go out of their way to hype up the various music in the dlc, such as the persona **** being from multiple games, getting the rights to dq and even some remixes and getting grant kirkhope back. And I think Doom's heavy metal soundtrack could definitely be somthing they'd advertise.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Right now; I'm looking at the dlc from a rather unique angle, that being what the franchise's music could bring to smash. They go out of their way to hype up the various music in the dlc, such as the persona **** being from multiple games, getting the rights to dq and even some remixes and getting grant kirkhope back. And I think Doom's heavy metal soundtrack could definitely be somthing they'd advertise.
Just give me "At Doom's Gate" with a remix to go with it and i'm good.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I like the idea of the Final Smash being a first person segment the most. I feel that’d be a wonderful way to represent Doom.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I didn't wanna mention this until PapaGenos confirmed it, but Google Theory is still in play. I was always in the camp that dismissed Artorias because of Google's Algorithm automatically associating him with DLC. And Erdrick turned out to be officially named "Hero".
Today, PapaGenos confirmed that out of all the names attempted during Google Theory, "Hero" was not one of them due to its genericness.
So with Hero not contradicting Google Theory, I say that if ANY current leaks/theories are real, Google Theory has the most going for it, followed closely by Mii Costume Theory (which I think is a bit too "obvious" to be real).

Please pardon the lack of a time stamp, but here is the video:
https://youtu.be/OU69BtoFZwo

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
For Doomguys final smash, I always imagined something like Snakes. That would be a short animation of him walking into a teleporter, then the view goes back to show the fight as normal. Then you would see the original Doom HUD overlay, with the BFG firing at the stage in a first person view. This way you also get to see Doomguys grinning face icon from the original game!

KillerCage

Smash Master
I didn't wanna mention this until PapaGenos confirmed it, but Google Theory is still in play. I was always in the camp that dismissed Artorias because of Google's Algorithm automatically associating him with DLC. And Erdrick turned out to be officially named "Hero".
Today, PapaGenos confirmed that out of all the names attempted during Google Theory, "Hero" was not one of them due to its genericness.
So with Hero not contradicting Google Theory, I say that if ANY current leaks/theories are real, Google Theory has the most going for it, followed closely by Mii Costume Theory (which I think is a bit too "obvious" to be real).

Please pardon the lack of a time stamp, but here is the video:
https://youtu.be/OU69BtoFZwo
I just watched PapaGenos' video as well. I do feel vindicated in the fact that Google Theory can be salvaged.
Mii Costume Theory felt similar to Color Theory and Companion Theory as in they seem coincidental and not much evidence to support them.
I am curious about "Trailer Theory" though. I can see it going hand in hand with Google Theory.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I just watched PapaGenos' video as well. I do feel vindicated in the fact that Google Theory can be salvaged.
Mii Costume Theory felt similar to Color Theory and Companion Theory as in they seem coincidental and not much evidence to support them.
I am curious about "Trailer Theory" though. I can see it going hand in hand with Google Theory.
Maybe I'm being intentionally pessimistic to not get my hopes up, but the concept of those 4 companies being prioritized as DLC to resell costumes does make a decent amount of sense. Color Theory makes sense but doesn't narrow much, and Companion Theory feels more like a fun design choice to best represent the third parties, but with the Mii Costume Theory I'd rather set myself up for acceptance rather than being disappointed.

Still, the amount of awareness of Doom Slayer constantly growing has been great, and he'd fit right in to the Ridley reveal.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
We're probably not going to hear about fighters #74 and #75 for at least late in Autumn though I will say this. Our most likely candidates are probably going to be:

1st Resident Evil protagonist: They are only first if Capcom is getting another rep because if they are then a Resident Evil protagonist is a lock. I'm guessing it's going to be like the Dragon Quest protagonists where you have Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire all taking up two costume slots each. I'd say the trailer sequel theory holds a good place for a Resident Evil character going through the castle like Spencer mansion or Salazar's castle with Luigi still dead and his body reanimates like a zombie as gruesome as that maybe. Resident Evil also matches up with the blue colour of the colour theory since the games take place mostly at night and fits with Leon Kennedy's police outfit. However the Google Theory does put a slight dampen on this happening along with the companion theory (Unless it's just Leon with Ashley) but redeems itself with the Mii costume theory since Capcom had lots of Mii costumes back in Smash 4. However the one thing that could potentially destroy the Mii costume theory is Namco. They released a lot of Mii costumes in Smash 4 without a character to go with them, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta all represented Capcom, Square Enix and Sega respectively but Namco is the odd one out. Also Capcom could stop with Mega man, Ryu and Ken.

2nd Doom Guy: Doom Guy has lots of theories going for him. The colour theory matches him with orange using the theme of mars, hell, lava, fire and it's good for him since the characters don't have to wear the colours to be part of the colour theory. It's just the theme the character represents is all that matters. Google theory seems to still be afloat after the DQ heroes reveal despite Artorias being out of the running so that is another point for Doom Guy. Trailer theory is another thing that adds to Doom Guy as he can follow up from Ridley's trailer since the area matches Doom's futuristic setting. The Mii costume theory is the only one going against his case as that would mean Namco and Capcom would be getting a rep but since Capcom already have three characters and Namco hasn't had a DLC character added in and no other character appearing since Pac-Man, it's not too bad for him.
Last thing to note is Pete Hines' statement about some things to come for Nintendo fans. May not be for Super Smash Bros or it could be, we'll have to find out but there could be a good chance that is the case since Bethesda have been talking to Nintendo about Smash.

3rd Ryu Hayabusa: I don't know much about Ryu Hayabusa. He matches the Blue colour for the colour theory if he is using his classic design which could be the case considering that he is an NES veteran. Koei Tecmo already have their foot in the door with the Yuri Kozukata assist trophy. Ryu Hayabusa still has the Google Theory going for him. Trailer theory, companion theory and the Mii costume theory does reduce the chance of him being in though. Trailer theory because there isn't like an urban city trailer for him to be in, Companion theory because as far as I know, he doesn't have a companion following him and Mii costume because Koei Tecmo didn't have any costumes in Smash 4.

4th Crash Bandicoot: I'd say Crash Bandicoot is the least likely of the bunch because the developers seem to favour Sony more than Nintendo with the N.Sane trilogy being released on the PS4 a year before any other console and Nitro-Fueled having exclusive content only on PlayStation. However Crash does have the colour theory with him being Orange along with the tropical setting of his first game and the companion theory with him having Aku Aku. Not much else going for him but at least it's better than most other characters.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
4th Crash Bandicoot: I'd say Crash Bandicoot is the least likely of the bunch because the developers seem to favour Sony more than Nintendo with the N.Sane trilogy being released on the PS4 a year before any other console and Nitro-Fueled having exclusive content only on PlayStation. However Crash does have the colour theory with him being Orange along with the tropical setting of his first game and the companion theory with him having Aku Aku. Not much else going for him but at least it's better than most other characters.
Crash may not have any leaks or theories backing him, but he has popularity on his side.
Hell, if it weren't for leaks and theories leading me to lean toward Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa, or Capcom Rep and Bandai-Namco Rep, then I would be betting on Crash as the most likely newcomer.
But the truth is that, bar Joker, everything about Smash Ultimate has been leaked ahead of time. Until Vergeben speaks, I say that Google Theory or Mii Costume Theory are our best bets.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Crash may not have any leaks or theories backing him, but he has popularity on his side.
Hell, if it weren't for leaks and theories leading me to lean toward Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa, or Capcom Rep and Bandai-Namco Rep, then I would be betting on Crash as the most likely newcomer.
But the truth is that, bar Joker, everything about Smash Ultimate has been leaked ahead of time. Until Vergeben speaks, I say that Google Theory or Mii Costume Theory are our best bets.
The problem with Crash's popularity now is that it is just recently gaining traction. During the ballot days, Crash was a very minor pick compared to Banjo Kazooie and these things take years for the Smash team to finally respond to it (Much like with Sonic, Mega Man and Cloud). Again Crash is in a leagues better position than most speculated characters but as you said, the Google theory and Mii Costume theory are our best bets but Crash is not on either one of those theories.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm not sure if Crash is as popular as we think. Yes Crash WAS popular in both the West and Japan. My concern is that Crash's popularity in Japan was the result of localization changes such as making him more cute. When the Crash N-Sanity Trilogy got localized over there, they did not make the same changes except for the boxart. This seemed to lead to a decrease in sales in Japan from I can tell.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm just gonna say this now, and you can quote me on this when it comes to pass.
After rewatching all of PapaGenos's Google Theory videos, I am hedging my bets on Google Theory. I believe it is 90% likely real based on several factors:
1. It is a common type a real leak. Ie, a slip up from a major corporation that does business with literally everybody. On par with retail leaks that usually turn out to be real.
2. It is severely unlikely that a troll bought Google ads hoping that a random person would notice a pattern, and no one has been able to pull the same off the sams "trolling".
3. The process to make the ads appear no longer works, and the blackouts (see the 2nd PapaGenos video) hint that Nintendo may have caught on and blacklisted the ads.
4. Banjo was confirmed, who was part of the Google Theory.
5. Out of all the names tried, "Hero" was not tried. But if we had a magic time machine, this likely would have all but confirmed the Google Theory.
6. Since Doom Slayer does not have an agreed upon title, and the name "Doom Slayer" had to be specific, "Hero" was likely the same way, which is why the Theory did not confirm Erdrick while it was active.

So, at this point, unless Vergeben speaks out against it, I am 90% sure that Google Theory is correct, which means that in my mind, Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa are CONFIRMED.

Hear me now, quote me later.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm just gonna say this now, and you can quote me on this when it comes to pass.
After rewatching all of PapaGenos's Google Theory videos, I am hedging my bets on Google Theory. I believe it is 90% likely real based on several factors:
1. It is a common type a real leak. Ie, a slip up from a major corporation that does business with literally everybody. On par with retail leaks that usually turn out to be real.
2. It is severely unlikely that a troll bought Google ads hoping that a random person would notice a pattern, and no one has been able to pull the same off the sams "trolling".
3. The process to make the ads appear no longer works, and the blackouts (see the 2nd PapaGenos video) hint that Nintendo may have caught on and blacklisted the ads.
5. Out of all the names tried, "Hero" was not tried. But if we had a magic time machine, this likely would have all but confirmed the Google Theory.
6. Since Doom Slayer does not have an agreed upon title, and the name "Doom Slayer" had to be specific, "Hero" was likely the same way, which is why the Theory did not confirm Erdrick while it was active.

So, at this point, unless Vergeben speaks out against it, I am 90% sure that Google Theory is correct, which means that in my mind, Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa are CONFIRMED.

Well it sounds plausible. And both Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa I can see happening.
But what about Astoiras (or however this character is called)?
I'm crossing my fingers that this is true, because ending the DLC with both of these huge gaming icons will be the cherry on top of an already hype DLC lineup, easily surpassing, personally, Smash 4's DLC lineup by far.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well it sounds plausible. And both Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa I can see happening.
I'm crossing my fingers that this is true, because ending the DLC with both of these huge gaming icons will be the cherry on top of an already hype DLC lineup, easily surpassing, personally, Smash 4's DLC lineup by far.
PapaGenos noted that if you entered the name of DLC packs for other games followed by "Smash Bros Ultimate", the ad would come up likely due to the fact that Google associates the name with "DLC".
"Artorias" just happens to be both the name of an individual character AND a DLC pack.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Based on what I've seen, Artorias is unlikely to be part of the Smash Ultimate Fighters' Pass. To quote Ben Holt:
PapaGenos noted that if you entered the name of DLC packs for other games followed by "Smash Bros Ultimate", the ad would come up likely due to the fact that Google associates the name with "DLC".
"Artorias" just happens to be both the name of an individual character AND a DLC pack.
I would also add that while I haven't played Dark Souls, I did watch a video of the Artorias boss battle. After some thinking, I don't think Artorias has the moveset potential necessary for Smash. Admittedly this is a weak point, but I didn't see how Artorias was supposed to recover if he got knocked off stage nor did I see anything he could use for specials. All of his moves in that boss fight could have been used for standard attacks, aerial attacks, and dodge rolls. I heard somewhere that Artorias could use dark magic for his grabs in compensation of his limp arm, but I don't recall seeing him use magic for anything besides movement. Again I haven't played Dark Souls so I could be wrong here, but his lacking moveset potential would hurt Artorias's chances and the fact that DLC packs (one of which his name is part of) from other games can trigger the Smash Ultimate Fighters' Pass ad throws his candidacy into question.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming Doom Slayer is among the final two DLC reveals and continuations to reveal trailers. I'd like Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:

Ridley wouldn't even know what had hit him as for Doom Slayer it'd just be another casual Tuesday.

RIP AND TEAR ********!!!!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, the Google Theory is less of a "theory" and more of a leak (granted, one that's based off of anecdotal evidence gathered in a short period of time)

I also put a lot more confidence in leaks more than theories (and even I take the former with a massive block of salt). Theories to me just seem to be a desperate attempt by fans to find far-flung patterns in the revealed characters in order to loosely justify wanted characters, when the reality is that said patterns are often wholly coincidental and not indicative of Sakurai's or Nintendo's selection process.

The only pattern I'm somewhat willing to accept is thag the DLC characters (Piranha Plant notwithstanding) are all third-party, as it is the generally-held consensus among the Smash community.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Singer of the main theme aside, the vocalists don't get credited in Smash, do they?
I think if there's anything pointing towards this not being for Smash, it's this.
That being said, there's nothing that says they'd have to be credited in Smash, could just be on his site or something.

It's Smash or DOOM Eternal, whatever is out first should have it in the credits.
I know this was a while back, but I was incorrect. It's well hidden, but some vocalists actually do get credited in-game. In the music section, under the individual details of each song. So I suppose we can ignore this point against the composition being Smash-related.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Since I'm this far into the "Doom Slayer is all but confirmed" camp, I can now say that I will be legitimately disappointed if Doom Slayer is not included. Not because I want the character specifically, but because I'm a lifelong metalhead (if you couldn't tell by my profile pic), and not having 'At Doom's Gate' as a music track would be such a missed opportunity.
But beyond that, Doom Slayer deserves to be in because Doom created an entire genre (I know Wolfenstein was first, but Doom was the perfection of the formula.).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

There isn't really much here to disagree with. The only thing I could point out for number 2 is as far as I remember, Duckmeat was contacted by someone who "knew" about the Google Theory so the contact probably did pay for the ads and then after a few days took them down after word spread. It's a weak counter argument but may be something to consider.

However, no one was able to prove it was fake because everyone who tried to debunk it all kept linking their ads to Amazon instead of the Smash Ultimate website.

Top Bottom