• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's a good thing, the gore is a natural evolution of the series, people would have ******* if it wasn't there, because Doom did indeed push the limits back in the day.

So I can understand why people still even now tend to see it as overly violent. The thing is, Nintendo isn't as scared of this stuff anymore, they had frickin Madworld on the Wii, and even as violent as DOOM 2016 can be it's far from pushing the limits anymore. Then you combine that with the fact that Doom can be toned down for the GBA, and thinking it's too violent becomes silly, at least to me.

For some reason some people just don't realize how violent Bayonetta as a series actually is, on top of being sexual, which is arguably worse depending on who you ask (not me but still).
I think it was just natural progression. Doom was a violent/metal game for its time, it only makes sense that they would push that further in the future.

People saying that Doom guy is "to violent for smash" is just as close minded as the "to big" argument was for Ridley. It can be changed for the game, has already been changed for other characters, and has been changed in some of the character's own games.
So it's just the natural escalation? That's good to hear, as I have heard quite a bit frustration about it over my year on Smashboards. I think Doom needs at least a certain amount of brutal violence. Helps get the adrenaline pumping, which is what you come for when you play Doom. And I don't think ot has any major effect on Doomguy in Smash, especially in a post Bayo and, to a lesser extent, Joker world.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I think Doom needs at least a certain amount of brutal violence. Helps get the adrenaline pumping, which is what you come for when you play Doom. And I don't think ot has any major effect on Doomguy in Smash, especially in a post Bayo and, to a lesser extent, Joker world.
The brutal violence feels so good because of subliminal things. These are demons, monsters of pure terror and malice, and yet YOU are the one that tears their goddamn arm off and beats them to death with it. You are the demon to the demons. This is IMO why he works in Smash, he's not fighting demons, so him not being as brutal to his enemies is to be expected.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There’s nothing wrong with Doom upping the violence. It adds some charm, not gonna lie. But I just take issue with people trying to claim that Doomguy can’t be done without the level of violence in Doom 2016. This is clearly false since the original games were far less violent and there have been censored versions that play just fine and feel like Doom.

And do you guys notice that people keep moving the goalpost when it comes Doomguy? Like they keep making excuses for Bayonetta even though it’s an extremely violent series too. And then don’t even get me started on BFG being a used as point against him. Just brings back flashbacks to when people were saying Snake was cut due to being too violent and will never return because of it. It was ridiculous.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Wait, they used the BFG against him? like what?
Essentially; "and BFG, which stands for big ****ing gun, well that wouldn't fly." to paraphrase.

Except, they could easily go with "Big Frickin'/Freaking Gun", or even "Bio-Force Gun" (which would actually be a fun reference) if they really wanted to explain the name. Which they wouldn't even need to, seeing as none of the actual mainline Doom games ever do (outside the manual for the original game, still, nowhere in the game itself).

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Essentially; "and BFG, which stands for big ****ing gun, well that wouldn't fly." to paraphrase.

Except, they could easily go with "Big Frickin'/Freaking Gun", or even "Bio-Force Gun" (which would actually be a fun reference) if they really wanted to explain the name. Which they wouldn't even need to, seeing as none of the actual mainline Doom games ever do (outside the manual for the original game, still, nowhere in the game itself).
I just feel that people are paranoid about Doom Slayer getting in either due to an extreme but hidden dislike of the series or some form of "Too mature for me!" argument.

It's good to see that a lot more people than I expected understand his cultural and industry significance, however. So at least he's got that kind of support for him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Question, what would Bio-Force Gun be a refrence to?
I just feel that people are paranoid about Doom Slayer getting in either due to an extreme but hidden dislike of the series or some form of "Too mature for me!" argument.

It's good to see that a lot more people than I expected understand his cultural and industry significance, however. So at least he's got that kind of support for him.
I don't know why people would keep their dislike of the series hidden. It is the internet after all, you can be as blunt with little problem.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
The Doom movie, that's what it stood for in that, and it was the Rock's character who saw it and dubbed it the "Big ****ing Gun..."
Overall, bad movie and adaptation, but it has it's moments. That FPS sequence is actually pretty legit and the schlock factor can be enjoyable.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The Doom movie, that's what it stood for in that, and it was the Rock's character who saw it and dubbed it the "Big ****ing Gun..."
Overall, bad movie and adaptation, but it has it's moments. That FPS sequence is actually pretty legit and the schlock factor can be enjoyable.
I can imagine, but that does sound like a rather fun moment. I could see the gun actually being called that, as I doubt anyone would patent a gun with a name so crass.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't believe any one rumor in particular, but I do believe that if a rumor sticks, it tends to mean something.
And Doom Slayer is a very popular character in rumors.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I don't know why people would keep their dislike of the series hidden. It is the internet after all, you can be as blunt with little problem.
People do this so they can come off as objective. If you try to act like you have no bias it makes your argument look stronger.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And with the kind of weapons it wields, can see it being a boss in a similar vein to Cyberdemon. Speaking of, I see they went with something more based on the original design for Cybey in Doom Eternal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And with the kind of weapons it wields, can see it being a boss in a similar vein to Cyberdemon. Speaking of, I see they went with something more based on the original design for Cybey in Doom Eternal.
They did hint that there is a reason it's so similar to the Doomguy, correct? If it is a single entity, then perhaps it's someone we know?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hoo boy. I haven't played Doom in a Looonng time. With Banjo's inclusion to Smash, I see no reason for Doom Slayer/Marine/Guy to not get in.

With the way things are going, He would be perfect.

The Hero being the grandfather of JRPGs and having a mechanic to reflect that.
Banjo & Kazooie representing the platformer/ collectathon game by maybe having a mechanic around that.
Doomguy would be the grandfather of FPS if they get in.

Sign me up please!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, that Quakecon thing is till rather eyebrow raising. The one thing that makes a reveal there unlikely is that Nintendo doesn't typically announce newcomers at events like that. That is unless they just so happen to coincidentally hold a direct durring the con.
I mean, unless they invited Sakurai to Quakecon to announce him or something, which is possible. I mean, last time a Nintendo-aligned developer was invited for a reveal at a 3rd party event, we got Star Fox in Starlink.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure Hines was saying, in regards to Doom plans, there's Quakecon and surprises for Nintendo fans, not that there will necessarily be any surprises for Nintendo fans at Quakecon. The audio makes it a bit more clear than just the quote in that article.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, unless they invited Sakurai to Quakecon to announce him or something, which is possible. I mean, last time a Nintendo-aligned developer was invited for a reveal at a 3rd party event, we got Star Fox in Starlink.
I feel like that would be way too obvious. There is no way that could be kept a secret and a official reveal of Sakurai being there would ring every warning bell. However, I imagine Nintendo will still have some presence. Maybe they could invite Bowser?
I....dont think they'd announce him after they just announced 2 characters
There is over a month difference between E3 and Quakecon. Sure, it would be earlier than expected, but it would not be right after the Hero and Banjo announcements.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yeah the quote makes it seem like the surprises could be separate for whatever is at quake con.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, is it weird for me to say that the Maurauder as an echo is completely feasible for Ultimate? Obviously we should focus on getting Doomguy in before campaigning for such a choice, but I do have my reasons for seeing it as possible.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
especially in a post Bayo and, to a lesser extent, Joker world.
I’m playing through Persona 5 right now & it deals with some very heavy/dark subjects. I didn’t expect all of this coming into the game, though I love it.

I don’t see to much of a difference between Joker & Doom Slayer getting in at this point. They’re both from games that deserve their M rating, albeit in different ways. I wouldn’t want kids playing either game, though if I was forced to I’d honestly choose Doom since the violence is so cartoonish lol

I conveniently got Persona 5 during Black Friday right before Joker was revealed, so I’m only like half of a band wagoner lmao

I don't believe any one rumor in particular, but I do believe that if a rumor sticks, it tends to mean something.
And Doom Slayer is a very popular character in rumors.
I’ve been thinking about this too. It’s weird that his name would pop up so much, even among Japanese “leakers”. Maybe there’s been some actual leaks of Doom Slayer alongside bait like Steve?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’m playing through Persona 5 right now & it deals with some very heavy/dark subjects. I didn’t expect all of this coming into the game, though I love it.

I don’t see to much of a difference between Joker & Doom Slayer getting in at this point. They’re both from games that deserve their M rating, albeit in different ways. I wouldn’t want kids playing either game, though if I was forced to I’d honestly choose Doom since the violence is so cartoonish lol

I conveniently got Persona 5 during Black Friday right before Joker was revealed, so I’m only like half of a band wagoner lmao

I’ve been thinking about this too. It’s weird that his name would pop up so much, even among Japanese “leakers”. Maybe there’s been some actual leaks of Doom Slayer alongside bait like Steve?
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "to a lesser extent". When Persona 5 wants to go in hard, it goes in hard. Seriously, stand out moments from my perspective are the first target and what he is responsible for(Because my god) and what happens when you fail the 3rd dungeon(It may not have actually happened due to drugs, but it's still horrifying).

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I....dont think they'd announce him after they just announced 2 characters
I'd agree but when the announcements for the base game were all over the place and lackluster at best, I feel consistency and good pacing isn't something they care about.
Base reveals were literally "come out at full speed, give up completely then crash into a brick wall."

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd agree but when the announcements for the base game were all over the place and lackluster at best, I feel consistency and good pacing isn't something they care about.
Base reveals were literally "come out at full speed, give up completely then crash into a brick wall."
I wouldn't say that. The reveals and presentations were pretty good, with only the last one being of a lesser quality. Even then, I think the last announcements would have been taken better if we didn't have the background gained by the leakers and the divide caused by the Grinch.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say that. The reveals and presentations were pretty good, with only the last one being of a lesser quality. Even then, I think the last announcements would have been taken better if we didn't have the background gained by the leakers and the divide caused by the Grinch.
Never said they were bad, just when you go from five reveals in one go to a single reveal isn't a very good balance.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that the heavy metal is getting stronger...

Far from a leak, but he's certainly gaining some rapport:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It is important to note that Doomguy popping up in leaks doesn’t mean much. Skull Kid and Geno were in a ton of leaks too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is important to note that Doomguy popping up in leaks doesn’t mean much. Skull Kid and Geno were in a ton of leaks too.
True, but it's kinda interesting how Doomguy had no major trigger for his popularity in leaks. Skull Kid a notable leak that included him from what I can recall, and the bandwagon caused most fake leaks to include him. Doomguy never really had that from what I can recall.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True, but it's kinda interesting how Doomguy had no major trigger for his popularity in leaks. Skull Kid a notable leak that included him from what I can recall, and the bandwagon caused most fake leaks to include him. Doomguy never really had that from what I can recall.
That Hines statement is what set a lot of things off. Fake leaks are often predictive in intent, and that's a bigger lead than most other characters have, even if it turns out to be a red herring.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That Hines statement is what set a lot of things off. Fake leaks are often predictive in intent, and that's a bigger lead than most other characters have, even if it turns out to be a red herring.
That is fair. I can think of only one way word of god can be possibly triumphed over, and that's actually having in game evidence in the files or some such.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Greetings Doom disciples! Earlier today I saw this article which, somewhat similar to the info on the link M00NFIRE94 M00NFIRE94 brought up earlier, touches on the possibility of Doom Slayer coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

A few days ago I saw a video showcasing some new movement options Doom Slayer will have in Doom Eternal and I gotta say, that improves his chances in terms of moveset potential. I see quite a few details going for him such as "Color Theory" (yes... I know... orange... may seem reaching but still), being the first FPS genre representative in the game, Doom Eternal coming to the Switch, as well as some other things mentioned in the link.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Greetings Doom disciples! Earlier today I saw this article which, somewhat similar to the info on the link M00NFIRE94 M00NFIRE94 brought up earlier, touches on the possibility of Doom Slayer coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

A few days ago I saw a video showcasing some new movement options Doom Slayer will have in Doom Eternal and I gotta say, that improves his chances in terms of moveset potential. I see quite a few details going for him such as "Color Theory" (yes... I know... orange... may seem reaching but still), being the first FPS genre representative in the game, Doom Eternal coming to the Switch, as well as some other things mentioned in the link.
That article makes me really want a Samus costume for Doomguy now. Kinda forgot about the Link stuff in Skyrim.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It occurred to me a short while after checking out that link that, what if the VR Mode that was added to SSBU, was added to test the VR perspective (or "first person" perspective) for what could potentially end up being used for Doom Slayer's Final Smash? The Final Smash could have Doom Slayer either staying on the stage platform and suddenly the perspective going into first person; he pulls up the BFG and one can aim while shooting at opponents. Or the alternative (which would use the VR Mode's current use) could have Doom Slayer transition out of the stage platform and the perspective again goes into first person, but it would be looking at the stage (like Snake's FS but, with the VR effects/camera) and again aiming at opponents while shooting.

While on the topic of Doom Slayer, his reveal trailer could be a continuation of Ridley's reveal. After Ridley and Samus have fought for quite some while and as her suit has sustained serious damage, just as Ridley is about to attack her again, Ridley is instantly pelted by shots. As Samus looks towards where the shots are coming from, Doom Slayer's silhouette is seen as he approaches to clear view.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
If our guy is truly in, then this teasing may go down as being the most obvious since "I think a pig just flew by the window" in hindsight. A crossover on the Switch, and one that Nintendo fans specifically would be excited about. Why, what ever could that be...?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "to a lesser extent". When Persona 5 wants to go in hard, it goes in hard. Seriously, stand out moments from my perspective are the first target and what he is responsible for(Because my god) and what happens when you fail the 3rd dungeon(It may not have actually happened due to drugs, but it's still horrifying).
A lot of the characters have dark backstories too. I just learned about Futaba’s backstory & it’s rough. :’(

If stuff like that can be represented in a “kid’s game” then I don’t see why our big, overly violent madman can’t get in either.

Top Bottom