• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Joker being in means that the 2015 deadline is disproven

Methinks this bodes somewhat well for characters like Crash Bandicoot and Doomslayer but honestly NO ONE knows who is coming and I love it!! Hope Doomslayer makes it!
Aye.

Persona 5 was released 15 September, while Doom 2016 was May 13, 5 months earlier.
That immediately sees Doom Slayer fall into the window of DLC consideration, and I'll honestly say that all these circumstances that have been slowly increasing his likelihood of inclusion over time are becoming somewhat spooky and almost too good to be true.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Aye.

Persona 5 was released 15 September, while Doom 2016 was May 13, 5 months earlier.
That immediately sees Doom Slayer fall into the window of DLC consideration, and I'll honestly say that all these circumstances that have been slowly increasing his likelihood of inclusion over time are becoming somewhat spooky and almost too good to be true.
I mean, can't get too hyped or think he's a shoo-in for. Was burned far too hard when I thought the exact same about Shadow.

But boy oh boy, am I excited as ever to see the rest of the cast, knowing Doomslayer is not only NOT out of the running, but actually very possible!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well ****, guy I want's out of the running. Period.

Guess I'll put my hopes into Doomslayer.
Rip and Tear, boys.
Rip and Tear until it is done.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think the Joker reveal bodes well for Doomguy. I’m thinking he has a good shot now.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Now the question is Joker going to have his gun?

If so that could mean Doomguy has more leeway to what he and use in his arsenal then we thought.
1544187604099.jpeg

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Not my impression. As I said, that stuff was most likely hearsay thrown around in the chaos.
Gotcha. I'm not totally sold on the only-third-party idea yet, but if the next DLC reveal is third party I wouldn't be surprised. Still, Joker definitely helps Doom's chances

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, Doom Slayer would not exactly like Joker, considering...
His Ultimate Persona is basically Satan.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
So, looks like Doomguy is my de facto most wanted since Joker is confirmed.

come on mashed potato hero man

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just realized, Doom Slayer would not exactly like Joker, considering...
His Ultimate Persona is basically Satan.
Nah,
You see it's "metaphorical" Satan to beat up yabadabadoo to beat up metaverse gods.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Rather hypocritical of him given he's quite demonic in nature himself, what with all the runes and his demon-sourced armor and whatnot.

Meh.

Anyways, here's what I think Doomguy's playstyle would be.

He'd be somewhat similar in terms of weight and floatyness to Samus, as they're both particularly large indivuals in space marine-esque power armor of some sort, at 108 weight. The Hell Walker is a reckless, aggressive rushdown character that pressures his opponents with rapid fire damage-racking and brutally heavy hits from his variety of guns, before closing in and beating them to a pulp with fast, powerful blows.

The problem with his moveset however, is that he's very much an aggressive all-in character. His ammo is limited and resupplied by powerups dropped near his opponent, meaning he's not well suited to keepaway gameplay, and all his attacks move him forward by quite a bit (unless he's at the ledge), with very limited disjointed hitboxes and extended recoveries. This is not a fighter that plays safe. When playing against the Doom slayer, keep calm and wait for him to leave himself open, then punish him.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Hello, all! Gonna start off by saying that I've never played a Doom game before (been meaning to pick it up for the Switch) so I have no history or connection to the character at all - but having said that, I certainly think Joker boosts Doomguy's chances.

He currently fits all the bills Reggie's said regarding DLC (unique and different, and somebody nobody would have anticipated), and we know for a fact that there have been talks between Nintendo and Bethesda about Smash. He'd definitely surpass Joker in WTF levels of hype.

I'm rooting for you guys! Good luck!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Rather hypocritical of him given he's quite demonic in nature himself, what with all the runes and his demon-sourced armor and whatnot.

Meh.

Anyways, here's what I think Doomguy's playstyle would be.

He'd be somewhat similar in terms of weight and floatyness to Samus, as they're both particularly large indivuals in space marine-esque power armor of some sort, at 108 weight. The Hell Walker is a reckless, aggressive rushdown character that pressures his opponents with rapid fire damage-racking and brutally heavy hits from his variety of guns, before closing in and beating them to a pulp with fast, powerful blows.

The problem with his moveset however, is that he's very much an aggressive all-in character. His ammo is limited and resupplied by powerups dropped near his opponent, meaning he's not well suited to keepaway gameplay, and all his attacks move him forward by quite a bit (unless he's at the ledge), with very limited disjointed hitboxes and extended recoveries. This is not a fighter that plays safe. When playing against the Doom slayer, keep calm and wait for him to leave himself open, then punish him.
True, though he doesn't embrace this demonic power as much as he exploits it against its very origin.

I'm not as well versed in using the technical lingo, but it does seem similar to my own moveset I devised; He's a rushdown fighter who can quickly rack up damage using his guns, but primarily gains KO's through his unique grab mechanics (as opposed to melee moves, since I styled him like Mega Man as having a lot of projectile attacks). While he can still score using regular+smash attacks, all his throws emulate the Glory Kill mechanic in that they provide a health bonus with a successful KO above a certain damage threshold. Combined with high movement speed and a plethora of ranged+mobility options, the Doom Slayer would be an ever-present threat to every opponent on the battlefield at any distance.

However, as befitting Doom's gameplay, Doom Slayer would be the ultimate glass cannon. Players who fail to keep the pressure applied or take advantage of his extreme mobility will find out that this character is a lot squishier than one might expect, receiving more damage from attacks and can be launched more easily at lower percentages (which is what you'll need that health bonus for, since you can't realistically dodge everything). Combine this with a limited ammo supply which punishes wasteful play with downgraded/removed attacks, and you've got yourself an extremely committal fighter who cannot afford to waste his ammo or let his guard down for even a split-second.

I would imagine that this fighter would have a high skill ceiling and perhaps not even beginner-friendly. Sure, he'd be easy to use, but unless you dedicate yourself to learning the ins and outs of effectively playing him, victories are going to be few and far between in a more competitive environment. Speaking of which, I could only imagine the sort of fervour the Doom Slayer would bring to multiplayer matches in the hands of the professionals, with fast-past, nail-biting matches where even a single slip-up can spell Doom (pun not intended) to a player's success.

For a more comprehensive breakdown:

Playstyle + Attributes
Befitting of the fast-paced action and heavy focus on guns from his home series, the Doom Slayer (or simply Doomguy) is a highly-mobile, hard-hitting, projectile-based rush-down fighter. His high speed and air acceleration makes him ridiculously adept at both dodging enemy attacks and chasing down potential victims, while all his firearm-based attacks can rack up high percentages in seconds of concentrated fire, allowing him to soften up his enemies before going in for the K.O. in the form of brutal melee attacks from his unique grab mechanics. Think of a steroid-infused Mega Man who prefers to get up close and personal with enemies rather than keeping them away.
To curb this seemingly unrequited power and speed, Doomguy has two major drawbacks;
  1. All of his weapons (besides the Chainsaw) run off of ammunition; Bullets (100), Shells (30), Rockets (10) and Cells (200). If Doomguy runs out of ammunition, attacks will either be replaced with the infinite ammo pistol or outright disabled. KO's reward small amounts of ammo, though a successful side-special can better refill his reserves.
  2. He is the ultimate glass cannon, receiving increased damage from any attack and can be launched easily at lower percentages than other fighters. necessitating a playstyle of constant dodging, jumping and moving (I.e. if you stand still, you're going to die). While small health pickups occasionally drop when he KOs an enemy fighter, his main method of recovering from attacks is via his grabs and throws.
With these attributes in mind, Doomguy demands a lot of skill from those who pick him as a fighter, combining twitch reflexes and on-the-fly tactical analyses seen in a round of Quake or Doom's deathmatch: good players can deliver a terrifying, nigh-unstoppable beatdown to other fighters, with the only chance of winning requiring careful observation for openings and striking them when revealed; bad players are free stocks.

Moveset
  • Basic Attacks:
    • Jab: Similar to Ryu/Ken, Doomguy's jabs change depending on the length of time that the attack button is held down for; tap-firing sees him firing his Combat Shotgun while holding down the fire button sees him shooting the Plasma Gun. Each weapon consumes 1 Shell and 1 Cell per shot respectively. If he is out of either ammunition, will fire his pistol and prepare a charged shot respectively.
    • F-Tilt: Similar to Mega Man, all of Doomguy's forward tilt attacks behave identically to his jabs, allowing him to fire his weapon normally while closing in on a fleeing opponent.
    • U-tilt: Fires a Triple Burst from the Shotgun (if tapped) or a Heat Blast from the Plasma Gun (if held) upwards. Consumes 3 Shells and 20 Cells respectively (alternatively, the latter could possibly behave as it did in 2016 by increasing in power as the Plasma Rifle is fired, while not consuming any Cells when used). If ammo is depleted, fires a shot from the pistol.
    • D-tilt: Ducks and fires an Explosive Shot from the Combat Shotgun (if tapped) or a Stun Bomb from the Plasma Rifle (if held), the latter dealing no damage but momentarily disorients fighters. Consumes 2 Shells and 20 Cells respectively. If ammunition is depleted, fires a shot from the pistol.
    • Additionally, if he is firing his weapon while moving backwards, he can continue firing in the same direction (a 2-D interpretation of strafing). This allows him to cover a retreat as he moves out of harm's way, but this also means that players must keep an eye out for fighters he has turned his back towards, as he is completely exposed to their attacks should he not change direction in time. Always ensure that enemy fighters stay within his crosshairs.
    • Dash Attack: Fires off a Charged Burst from the Combat Shotgun (if tapped) or a Heat Blast from the Plasma Rifle (if held), consuming 3 Shells and 20 Cells respectively. If ammo is depleted, fires a shot from the pistol.
  • Smash Attacks:
    • Forward Smash: Pulls out the Super Shotgun and fires both barrels in the direction he is facing, consuming 2 shells in the process. If ammo is depleted, fires a more powerful charged shot from the pistol.
    • Up Smash: Pulls out the Chaingun with the Gatling Rotator modification, unleashing a quick upwards barrage. The amount of bullets fired by the Chaingun changes depending on the length of time the attack was charged (indicated by the barrel spinning progressively faster); a quick tilt-smash will fire off 10 bullets, while a max charge will fire off 25. If ammo is depleted, fires more powerful charged shot the pistol.
    • Down Smash: Pulls out the Super Shotgun and fires one barrel in either direction. If ammo is depleted, fires a couple charged shots from the pistol.
  • Aerials:
    • N-air: Identical to the Jab
    • F-air: Identical to the F-tilt.
    • U-air: Identical to U-tilt.
    • D-air: Identical to D-tilt, but fires the grenade/stun bomb directly below him.
    • B-air: Has none to speak of. Instead, he can continue firing in the same direction while moving back, as stated above. Has the same benefits of keeping the pressure up while moving out of harm's way, but means that he must keep an eye out to ensure that enemy fighters stay within the direction he's facing.
    • Grab-air: Fires the Meathook from the Super Shotgun, dealing damage and pulling him towards his victim, whereupon he delivers a powerful shotgun blast upon reaching his grappled fighter, sending them flying. Acts as a pseudo-tether that grabs fighters as opposed to ledges, making it an extremely potent anti-edgeguard tool with good combo/finishing potential. If ammo is depleted, fires a charged shot from the pistol.
  • Grabs:
    • Doomguy has a unique grab mechanic inspired by the Glory Kills from 2016 and Eternal. Essentially, after an enemy fighter has been damaged above a certain threshold (enough for them to be KO'd by any of his throws), they will begin flashing in a blue highlight, which turns orange should Doomguy be within grabbing distance. If the fighter is then throw-KO'd in this state by Doomguy, a shower of health pickups will be expelled from the area that the fighter was KO'd, gravitating towards Doomguy and healing a significant amount of damage (30-40%). If a fighter is not in this state and the throw was a successful KO, fewer health pickups will be rewarded, encouraging Doomguy players to soften up their opponents before executing them with a throw, giving attackers more opportunities at a counterattack.
    • Grab: Fires the Meathook from the Super Shotgun, dealing damage and pulling him towards his victim, who he then grabs by the jugular.
    • Pummel: Repeatedly sucker punches his victim in the stomach with the Doom Blade.
    • F-throw: Performs a meaty, bladed right hook into his victim's face, sending them flying backwards.
    • U-throw: Blade-uppercuts his victim into the stratosphere.
    • D-throw: Slams his victim into the ground, burying them before stomping on their head to bounce them back up.
    • B-throw: Sweeps his victim off their legs, grabbing them by their ankles and throwing them behind him.
  • Specials:
    • Neutral Special - Micro-Missiles: Pulls out the Heavy Cannon and fires a burst of 6 miniature missiles which home in on and explode on contact with opposing fighters. Deals significant damage with slight knockback should all 6 missiles connect, halting an advance or attack and allowing Doomguy to move in for the kill. Takes a short while to recharge and consumes 3 Bullets per missile. The attack is disabled if ammo is depleted.
    • Side Special - Chainsaw Charge: Pulls out The Great Communicator and dashes to the side, ramming the weapon into a fighter's guts. The fighter is held in place (alongside anything else caught in the Chainsaw's path), continually taking damage before being sent flying upwards at the end of the attack. Ammunition is also expelled from the fighter in high amounts, which scales depending on the number of fighters in the arena (1 fighter completely fills up Doomguys reserves if caught, 2 fighters fill up half each, etc.). Can strike and hold multiple fighters in one dash, but leaves him vulnerable for a short time should he not damage anyone, making it a risky move for horizontal recovery.
    • Up Special - Rocket Jump: Uses the Rocket Launcher to fire a rocket beneath him, dealing heavy damage to fighters and slight self-damage while using the explosive force to propel himself upwards. The height of the Rocket jump changes depending on Doomguy's upward velocity before the projectile detonates, increasing if travelling upwards after a jump and decreasing while in freefall. Utilises the Remote Detonator to detonate the rocket if there is no surface immediately beneath him. Consumes 1 Rocket per shot. The attack is disabled if ammo is depleted.
    • Down-B - Ballista: Fires a powerful bolt in the direction he is facing, dealing significant damage to any fighter it hits with slight recoil pushing Doomguy back. When in midair, the weapon is fired at a downward angle in the direction being faced (similar to Falcon Kick/Wizards Foot). The high recoil in midair can push Doomguy upwards in the opposite direction that the weapon was fired at. This "Ballista Jump", while not as powerful as a Rocket Jump, can provide a slight boost to an existing jump or assist with horizontal recovery. Consumes 20 Cells per shot. The attack is disabled if ammo is depleted.
  • Final Smash - BFG 9000:
    • Fires a Big ****ing Green shot from wherever Doomguy is currently standing at the direction he is facing. Argent tendrils will lash out towards any onstage fighters, holding them in place as they are damaged. Upon impacting either a fighter, the stage or the blast zone, the shot violently explodes and all fighters connected via tendrils are launched. Deals additional damage to any fighters caught within the explosion's blast radius (scaling depending distance from point of impact, with directly-struck fighters taking the most damage). This Final Smash relies heavily on good positioning on Doomguy's behalf, as to ensure that the projectile can last long enough to deal the most damage (have it cover most of the stage's length as opposed to dumping it off the edge), while allowing the player to weigh up the choice of either damaging multiple fighters longer and potentially scoring multiple KOs or directly striking an individual fighter for massive damage and a guaranteed KO.
On an unrelated note, can I ask why this was chosen as the stock icon for the Doom Slayer in the Newcomer Stock Icon thread?:

I'm not bashing the artist, but could there not have been one that better reflects the style more, in a cleaner manner at that?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Before Joker, I might've called y'all crazy.

Now? Screw it, let's go. Mick Gordon music for Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I feel that a Bethesda Rep is likely with the new relationship between Bethesda and Nintendo. It could be Doomguy, Dovakin, or another Elder Scrolls or perhaps Fallout character.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
As someone who wants Master Chief in Smash, Doomslayer would be really, really cool. I get the sense that it can only be one or the other, though, as they're niche enough in overseas markets as is, but it would be a serious victory to see either of them in the game. And, given that Joker just got announced, we really have no idea what else the Big N might do to surprise us. I'm absolutely hoping against hope to see either Chief or Doomslayer in this game! If your guy wins, it'll be a character slot well used. Good luck, boys

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I remember seeing someone making three Smash icons for Doomguy, once.

The problem is that i found these from some 4chan thread, so i don't know who really made them, so i can't credit them except as "some anonymous user".
These look good, even thought the D64 helmet seems to have a different shape.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can see that there's no icon for Doom 3. That's understandable, because Doom 3 is widely considered the black sheep of the franchise and has never been on a Nintendo system.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
While the shift to horror was interesting, Doom 3 is still a good game. If you're interested, I recommend the BFG edition. Comes with doom 1 and 2.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing someone making three Smash icons for Doomguy, once.

The problem is that i found these from some 4chan thread, so i don't know who really made them, so i can't credit them except as "some anonymous user".
These look good, even thought the D64 helmet seems to have a different shape.
Nice, VERY NICE! All we need now is the Doom 3 helmet and a rendition of his HUD face.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge

Can I get on the supporters list?

Doomguy has always been a huge pipe dream, but he somehow has a chance now. It honestly surprises me how much support he has for Smash.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Happy 25th, DOOM!. Here's to another quarter-decade and hopefully Smash representation!

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
man, it's crazy to see the amount of Doomguy support that's come up after the reveal of Joker. everyone's starting to realize that if Joker can get in and the DLC is possibly more 3rd parties, Doomguy might have an actual shot as a character!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Did you guys see that zombie skin they revealed for Doom Eternal? That looks sick! I don’t know how they’d tone down the costume, but I’d love to see Zombie Doom Slayer as an alt costume myself!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
man, it's crazy to see the amount of Doomguy support that's come up after the reveal of Joker. everyone's starting to realize that if Joker can get in and the DLC is possibly more 3rd parties, Doomguy might have an actual shot as a character!
I think Joker was one of those characters that had a lot of support behind him but very low expectations of him making it in.

With his reveal, however, not only has that left a hole for Joker fans to fill in regards to the next fighter they support, it also raises the bar for characters who hold a significant legacy within the games industry (through sales or their landmark titles) yet would be left-field picks in regards to your expected fighter. As Reggie stated:

“Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective. And so he’s been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That’s been the approach. That’s the thinking,”
(http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/0...ltimates-approach-to-dlc/#kiu9AusRQtxjKWhb.99)
Thus, we've been getting an increasing amount of support for the Doom Slayer (alongside others like Scorpion, which I also vouch for) alongside a flurry of expectations for the more "safer/realistic/easier" options, like Dovahkiin and Vaultboy. It'll only be the more sweeter once those expectations are shattered.

Last edited:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
I think Joker was one of those characters that had a lot of support behind him but very low expectations of him making it in.

With his reveal, however, not only has that left a hole for Joker fans to fill in regards to the next fighter they support, it also raises the bar for characters who hold a significant legacy within the games industry (through sales or their landmark titles) yet would be left-field picks in regards to your expected fighter. As Reggie stated:

Thus, we've been getting an increasing amount of support for the Doom Slayer (alongside others like Scorpion, which I also vouch for) alongside a flurry of expectations for the more "safer/realistic/easier" options, like Dovahkiin and Vaultboy. It'll only be the more sweeter once those expectations are shattered.
yeah I see what you mean, plus not only has support for Doomguy and Scorpion increased, but support for other previously thought impossible characters like Dante and Ryu Hayabusa has as well. I'm glad to see so many people choosing outlandish picks now that we know the DLC is gonna be unexpected and not choosing safe picks like a new Gen 8 Pokemon or a new FE rep.

Lichzim

Smash Rookie
I've always been hoping for DOOMGUY/DOOM SLAYER to get in. Since JOKER is in now. I can now divert all of my hype to getting DOOMGUY into the game. RIP AND TEAR BOYS! HE'S GONNA RIP AND TEAR HIS WAY INTO THE GAME!

Also I'd like to think that Modern DOOMGUY/DOOM SLAYER will be his main costume but Classic DOOMGUY will be an alternate costume.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
Good to know. If he had still been apart of the company and veen able to talk about this topic, I think it would have hurt Doomguy's chances, due to NDA's and that sort of stuff.
yeah it's a good thing he isn't directly involved with the series anymore, or else that post might've broken some NDA if Nintendo really is using Doomguy in Smash DLC. Although since he's not involved with the company anymore it's very unlikely he'd be invovled with any meetings involving Doom and Nintendo.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I went ahead and mocked up a classic mode run for Doomguy, how does this look?
Charizard - Pinky
Dark Samus - Revenant
Ridley - Arch-Vile
Kirby (hoard) - Cacodemon
Bowser - Baron of Hell
Bayonetta - Olivia Pierce
Beast Ganon - Cyberdemon

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, Carmack pulling for Doomguy in smash is guud IMO, it's doubtful he's involved directly and he may be able to bring more awareness to the idea.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh snap, Carmack pulling for Doomguy in smash is guud IMO, it's doubtful he's involved directly and he may be able to bring more awareness to the idea.
John Carmack isn't on Bethesda's good side, let me tell you now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure what the circumstances of Carmack leaving was, but with the awesome state Doom’s been in again these last couple years, maybe it was for the best? I don’t know, but him tweeting that even if as a joke was interesting nonetheless.

Top Bottom